S&W's Shield [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W's Shield

blueiron
05-09-2012, 00:12
What is prevailing professional opinion on the Shield? I am rather curious about one in 9mm. I am not a huge fan of the Glock 26 [too bulky] and I own a H&K P2000Sk in .40 [too expensive for a new 9mm model].

Thanks for your user feedback.

Sharky7
05-09-2012, 02:01
Haven't held it in my hand yet, but definitely looks like it has promise. If Glock doesn't come out with a single stack at the next Shot Show, I will end up picking up a shield.

Found this to be a good review....He does a good job with his youtube channel, very informative and professional reviews.

S&W Shield Review - YouTube

DoogieHowser
05-09-2012, 04:35
I've heard nothing but good, haven't got one in my hands but from all that I can see it's a micro-sized M&P so unless something is extremely different I don't see how it would function any less than a standard. We run the standard sized .40s and love em.

GunFighter45ACP
05-09-2012, 05:29
Everbody I know either wants one (including myself), or has one. Most are using it in an off duty carry role, usually at the expense of carrying the G19/G23, or similar Sig platforms. I don't personally know of any LEOs replacing their G26/G27s for one yet, but I can see this happening more in the civilian market.

For police applications, I think it will come down to 2 things: 1. How fast will they get added to an 'approved list', & 2. What specific role will it fill? For EX: Dimensionally, it may fit the bill for a BUG/vest gun vs. a G26/G27 for some Officers, but losing magazine compatability, even w/a standard M&P platform might give some pause. Only time will tell. In the meantime, stop buying them so 1 will be left at the shops for me!

BSA70
05-09-2012, 05:43
My shift partner carries one as a BUG. He just qual last week with it. I have shot it. It's awesome and very easy to handle. Fits real good in the hand. It is thin. The foot print is about the same as a glock subcompact but much thinner. He purchase the .9mm version.

I would look at that or XD slim .45 spring field armory. I have only seen the xd in ads but it looks awesome.

I would love to go with a new gun but I have too much invested in my g33 and it works really well. I have qual with the g33 for 5 years with out a single jam!!!

BSA

BuckyP
05-09-2012, 06:20
In the meantime, stop buying them so 1 will be left at the shops for me!

Ditto. Very scarce in my area. Only shop that's been getting them has a waiting list.

razdog76
05-09-2012, 07:05
I just read about it, and became interested. I have a G27, and carried it for BUG/off duty for a long time, but last year the bulk got to me, and I went back to my old M38.

Does it have any advantages over the Walther PPS?

DVeng
05-09-2012, 08:26
I handled one last night at a local sporting goods store and was impressed. They had a waiting list of 15 or so people between the 9mm and 40s. They were asking $430 for them. If they were in stock, I probably would have walked out with one.

It was more stubby in overall length than it looks in pictures. I may even be able to convince my wife to carry it or it may replace my G26 for everyday carry. I don't think it will replace my G26 for BUG.

DVeng

DaBigBR
05-09-2012, 10:04
My question is on the guts. Is it built with the M&P action system, or the Bodyguard 380 action system. I suspect one dry-fire would answer the question. I'm not thrilled with the wimpy little safety on it, either.

msu_grad_121
05-09-2012, 10:19
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but due to several factors, I've been put off on the M&P series. Now, I've never fired one, but I've seen enough shot in recent times that I just don't trust them, personally. Still, this looks like an interesting idea for sure. Guess we'll see...

Bruce M
05-09-2012, 12:13
The S&W rep brought one along with the regular M&Ps we were scheduled to test. Everyone I talked to who shot liked it alot and we all gt a decent grip on it despite the grip being wet from rain. He also had a .40 version with him which we did not shoot.

Southswede
05-09-2012, 13:25
I got the first one in my area. S&W hit a grand slam home run with this gun.

blueiron
05-09-2012, 13:44
Sharky7,

Thanks for the video link. It was pretty informative, but I do have a personal issue with taking recommendations from a guy who wears a tactical macrame bracelet. :whistling: :rofl:

I'll have to start looking for a Shield.

DoogieHowser
05-09-2012, 14:07
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but due to several factors, I've been put off on the M&P series. Now, I've never fired one, but I've seen enough shot in recent times that I just don't trust them, personally. Still, this looks like an interesting idea for sure. Guess we'll see...

What in particular are those problems? I've yet to see any issues with ours other than a cosmetic problem with one run.

Tango 1Zero
05-09-2012, 14:53
I probably will get one in the future. So far I havent heard anything bad about the M&P line.

msu_grad_121
05-09-2012, 16:08
What in particular are those problems? I've yet to see any issues with ours other than a cosmetic problem with one run.

Every one I saw in the academy would develop an issue where the mag would drop after 2 or 3 shots. Happened to everyone who shot it, and with every gun. I also heard a few Detroit officers had the same problem. Might have been nothing more than a bad run, but really put me off them. I hope they've got it straightened out, it looks to be a good gun besides that.

IrishSheepdog54
05-09-2012, 16:32
I love my G26, but in summer months I have difficult concealing it. I'm 509 and 155 with a slim build. I'm looking for something more concealable that matches the quality I find in the G26.

Been considering an air weight SW revolver, but not so sure. I like carrying a semi auto with an extra magazine or two in my pocket.

I'll take a look at this gun... Might fit what I'm looking for.

collim1
05-09-2012, 17:03
I handled one and thought it would make a decent ankle/vest for work and also be nice as a off-duty gun.

I wont be replacing my jframe though. I tried a G26 for a while and went back to the jframe. For some reason when I think BUG for work I think snub revolver.

DaBigBR
05-09-2012, 17:47

Every one I saw in the academy would develop an issue where the mag would drop after 2 or 3 shots. Happened to everyone who shot it, and with every gun. I also heard a few Detroit officers had the same problem. Might have been nothing more than a bad run, but really put me off them. I hope they've got it straightened out, it looks to be a good gun besides that.

I've never seen that happen, but don't doubt that it's possible. When did you see this? I know that there was a lot of work put in to "fine-tuning" the production guns around early 2006. Our police academy had one and I remember S&W sent an entire new slide assembly (barrel and everything) one day.

I bought my M&Ps (9mm and .45) in late 2007 (I think) and have been supremely pleased with them. Outstanding ergonomics. The trigger probably takes 300-500 rounds to really come to you on a new gun, but I really do love the things.

msu_grad_121
05-09-2012, 17:52
This would have been the last half of 2010. What really bugged me about it was that it happened to every single gun in the class. I mean, 1 okay - it's a fluke. 2 - an anomoly. But there was I want to say 5 or 6 guns, and every single one of them did the exact same thing. It was downright scary.

That is not to say S&Ws are junk or anything. Another guy had a brand new Sig P226 that came from the facrtory with a slightly bent guide rail, which inhibited functioning maybe 20% of the time. These things happen, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth, and now it's visceral, you know? I can't seperate the gun in front of me from those I saw that had problems bearing the same logo.

DaBigBR
05-09-2012, 17:52
This would have been the last half of 2010. What really bugged me about it was that it happened to every single gun in the class. I mean, 1 okay - it's a fluke. 2 - an anomoly. But there was I want to say 5 or 6 guns, and every single one of them did the exact same thing. It was downright scary.

That is not to say S&Ws are junk or anything. Another guy had a brand new Sig P226 that came from the facrtory with a slightly bent guide rail, which inhibited functioning maybe 20% of the time. These things happen, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth, and now it's visceral, you know? I can't seperate the gun in front of me from those I saw that had problems bearing the same logo.

Completely understand.

DoogieHowser
05-09-2012, 18:09

Strange, were they from the same batch by serial? I'm going to ask our armorer to talk to our rep as well.

msu_grad_121
05-09-2012, 18:29
Strange, were they from the same batch by serial? I'm going to ask our armorer to talk to our rep as well.

I'm not sure, as I wasn't privvy to the S/Ns of the guns, but I'm pretty sure 3 came from the same point of sale, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were all in the same batch.

Vigilant
05-09-2012, 18:35

I have had more than one M&P 40 do the same thing with me during Recert in recent years. That, and the top round making its way out of the mag in the mag pouch.

I suspect Bud's Police Supply will probably offer the Shield for around $350 shipped, once they begin to stock them. I may try one, but I'm pretty content with the Kahr P9 for personal use.

Southswede
05-09-2012, 19:12

I can understand it too. But I can tell you of some very positive things from the M&P full sized guns and in with the topic of this thread, the Shield. The Shield is a winner.

ropin4gold
05-09-2012, 19:13
I held one today and was very impressed. Trigger seemed better than the standard M&P. I didn't buy it ($450) but out of 6 shops it was the only one I have seen in stock since they came out. Shop owner said he got a 9 and 40 in Monday and only the 9 was left in the case this morning. This was a small shop in the middle of nowhere. Kinda reminded me of the Walther PPS.

tim12232
05-10-2012, 11:44
I picked up one of the first ones in Charlotte couple of weeks ago! I love it, my 19 sits in my drawer now most of the time! It uses the M&P trigger trigger chassis and is a real joy to shoot. I have out Trijicon HD sights on it and picked up a Milt Sparks Summer Special2 for the G26 from Brownells and the fitment couldnt be much more perfect! Its my edc with the 7 rnd mad inside and 8 round ready for quick reload. Buy it, dont even think about it, Do it!

BuckyP
05-10-2012, 12:59
Buy it, dont even think about it, Do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

tim12232
05-10-2012, 15:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

LMAO!!!! Im so glad some one got that! I didnt want it to be too obvious! Bacardi and cola DO IT DO IT!!!!

sargespd
05-10-2012, 21:14
My second career has me working at a uniform/equipment business, and we are a law enforcement dealer for S&W. As I understand it, they have not yet declared the Shield to be a "law enforcement weapon", and therefor it is not available at the law enforcement price. Once it is, I would guess it will be significantly lower than retail. I have handled one that an officer brought in while looking for a holster, and I am impressed. Less than one inch thick, trigger the same as the M&P. If I were still carrying the MP9 as a duty gun, I would probably try to grab one for backup and off duty.

kayl
05-11-2012, 07:37
If I were still carrying the MP9 as a duty gun, I would probably try to grab one for backup and off duty.

Only issue there is you lose mag interchangeability :)

CW Mock
05-11-2012, 13:12
I will probably end up with one, giving me one in each size for work. Like to see and shoot one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

KentuckyPatriot
05-11-2012, 15:46
I can attest to the Shield's fitness for carry...at least mine.

Soft shooting with good followup ability, good trigger, better than the previous M&P autos that I had years ago. The first 50 rounds were all within a 6" circle shooting off-hand as fast as I could get back on target.

I would suspect that any good vest holster, or ankle holster would work with the Shield. Carrying the extra mag will not be an issue either if you have room enough for a knife pouch or similar on a duty rig, or stuff it next to your wallet if in plain clothes/off-duty.

I would show it to you but I am too busy fondling it's beautiful slide right now! :whistling:

Rick O'Shay
05-11-2012, 18:39
I tried mine (9mm) out to the range the 2nd day I owned it, and ran 115 gr ball, 124 gr ball, and 147 gr truncated ball, plus 124 gr hollow points, 124 gr HydraShoks and 147 gr hollow points. Ran every one through both mags. Never a hiccup, and at 50' I was taking down 6 for 6 on the 6" plates, with all of the different rounds.
It has 'real' sights on it, reminiscent of the Glock sights. Thin and really ergonomic. Trigger breaks clean at 6#. Recoil is very manageable.

Vigilant
05-11-2012, 19:21
I can attest to the Shield's fitness for carry...at least mine.

Soft shooting with good followup ability, good trigger, better than the previous M&P autos that I had years ago. The first 50 rounds were all within a 6" circle shooting off-hand as fast as I could get back on target.

I would suspect that any good vest holster, or ankle holster would work with the Shield. Carrying the extra mag will not be an issue either if you have room enough for a knife pouch or similar on a duty rig, or stuff it next to your wallet if in plain clothes/off-duty.

I would show it to you but I am too busy fondling it's beautiful slide right now! :whistling:

Just looking at the dimensions, that was my take as well. Good for ankle or vest carry, or on the belt, but a little too big for pocket carry.

CW Mock
05-11-2012, 21:48
If I can pick one up, it would be to replace the 40c I vest carry a lot. Giving up half an inch or so and several ounces would make a big difference.

I think I'll wait and see if it makes the LEO list for the po' cops like me, and how well it holds up/ performs in the next few months.

Anyone got any pics?

Sharky7
05-11-2012, 23:25
I am always hesitant to pick up guns within the first year now. I've bought a few guns almost brand new within a few months of release and then find out about a year or so later they are releasing the newest ones in stores with a few "upgrades" for better quality or a fix.

I really like the Shield, but plan on waiting a year or so. Plus, like I said earlier - I want to see if Glock has an answer at the Shot Show for all these single stacks. Hopefully they do, but not holding my breath.

Vigilant
05-11-2012, 23:30
I still say this is the best option for those on a budget, the Kahr CW9 and CW40:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2_21/products_id/155

That price is shipped to your FFL, with 1 mag. The length, width and height are all less than the Shield, yet with a bit less overall length, it has a 3.6" barrel, versus about a 3.1" barrel in the Shield and other competitive models. I would think there would be a slight gain in muzzle velocity as a result. The only advantage the Shield might have for some is, it sounds as though the trigger is very similar to the full-size M&P series.

Bud's has the P9/P40, with 2 mags, for $526 shipped to your FFL.

kayl
05-12-2012, 09:06
I still say this is the best option for those on a budget, the Kahr CW9 and CW40:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2_21/products_id/155

That price is shipped to your FFL, with 1 mag. The length, width and height are all less than the Shield, yet with a bit less overall length, it has a 3.6" barrel, versus about a 3.1" barrel in the Shield and other competitive models. I would think there would be a slight gain in muzzle velocity as a result. The only advantage the Shield might have for some is, it sounds as though the trigger is very similar to the full-size M&P series.

Bud's has the P9/P40, with 2 mags, for $526 shipped to your FFL.

The Kahr trigger, as smooth as it is, is a big disadvantage IMO...I have a CM9 and can't wait to pick up a shield :)

CW Mock
05-12-2012, 11:25
We can't carry Kahr pistols at work. :( Which sucks, because I like my buddy's .45 a lot. We can't even have Glocks.

Vigilant
05-12-2012, 13:27
The Kahr trigger, as smooth as it is, is a big disadvantage IMO...I have a CM9 and can't wait to pick up a shield :)

I don't care for the trigger either, but I seem to have gotten used to it. Plus, when things get up close and personal, I doubt that the trigger would be much of an issue.

ColdSteelNail
05-13-2012, 08:42
I love my G26, but in summer months I have difficult concealing it. I'm 509 and 155 with a slim build. I'm looking for something more concealable that matches the quality I find in the G26.

Been considering an air weight SW revolver, but not so sure. I like carrying a semi auto with an extra magazine or two in my pocket.

I'll take a look at this gun... Might fit what I'm looking for.
Have you checked out Kahr's PM series. My PM9 has been 100% reliable through 600 rounds, is comfortable to shoot and is the easiest to conceal handgun I have ever carried. Since you are considering a revolver I assume you would be OK with a six or seven round magazine.

razdog76
05-13-2012, 15:01
I have owned an MK9, and a P9 Covert. Kahr pistols seem to fall into one of three categories.

1.Works great

2.Works great for a while, then takes a massive dump, requiring you to use the less than stellar customer service.

3.Big ole POS, which also requires the aforementioned interaction with customer service.

My Mk9 was flawless, but with the weight, I could carry something much larger. My P9 Covert worked for a couple of years, and then became a jamamatic during requal. Required me to buy a new BUG because they didn't do what they said they would in a timely manner.

I have read many similar experiences on various forums.

Sharky7
05-13-2012, 19:00
Even though the Ruger LC9 is almost the same size and capacity, the Shield is definitely getting more attention it seems. Rightfully so in my opinion, I HATE the trigger on the Ruger LCP and I have heard that the LC9 has the same exact trigger. The Shield also looks a lot more comfortable to me and I am a fan of striker fired over hammer fired.

I also like the fact of getting one more round over my Kahr PM9, but still being fairly close to the same height. This is not my picture, but it appears with the extended mags in place, the Shield and the Kahr are the same size - but you get more capacity with the shield.

http://i.imgur.com/k8gKZ.jpg

Vigilant
05-14-2012, 14:53
^^^ I don't have time to dig up the numbers right now, but the figures I saw indicated that the Shield is just slightly bigger in length, thickness and height than a Kahr P9/P40. Not much, but a little. Unfortunately, it looks like just it's enough bigger for it to not work for me for pocket carry.

MrGlock21
05-15-2012, 13:30
Does it have any advantages over the Walther PPS?

No, I can't find any advantages.

I like the Shield, I shot about 800 rounds with a borrowed gun and I may get one some day. It's a nice gun, but I prefer the PPS.

Vigilant
05-15-2012, 13:49

I like the Shield, I shot about 800 rounds with a borrowed gun and I may get one some day. It's a nice gun, but I prefer the PPS.

I have held a PPS a time or two, and never did care for the grip. That's also one expensive little pistol. From what I have seen, it brings a higher price than the Kahrs. Even so, it does seem to work for some folks, and variety is a good thing. Usually.

kayl
05-15-2012, 17:43

The price is one advantage over the PPS. The mag release is another :)