Glock popularity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock popularity?

Alliance50
05-09-2012, 06:03
Hi all

I would like to hear some stories of people who carry, that have
changed their carry guns and why.

What I would like to know for example is if you have carried a glock for the last 15 yrs and you now have changed to a sig sauer or a 1911, or maybe you went from sig or 1911 to glock.
And please mention what and wether or not you switched calibers.

This just for information because I have been noticing a lot more sig sauers (P220) at the ranges I go to.

Thanks everyone!:wavey:

bac1023
05-09-2012, 06:05
I used to carry a Glock years ago, but changed to a 911 because I shoot them much better.

The 1911 is my favorite platform, so why not carry it?

CajunBass
05-09-2012, 06:55
My wife had a Glock 19. I carried it a few times and it's a good gun. It shot just fine. I don't care for them mostly I suppose because everybody and his cousin has one. That fact alone tells me they're good guns, even if I don't want one.

I prefer a revolver to tell you the truth, but for now I'm carrying a M&P shield. I've come to the conclusion I'd rather beat up a plastic semi, than I would a classic blue steel revolver. A Glock would serve the puprpose just as well as the shield. The shield was just "there" when I went looking.

MajorD
05-09-2012, 07:10
my criteria is simple- does it work? as long as it works I don't much care what quality brand gun I am carrying. in my Carry rotation are Colts, les baer, seecamp smith and wesson and glock. In the past it has included H&K, Beretta sig walther.

Magus
05-09-2012, 07:13
Carried a Glock for many years. Don't own one anymore. I have moved on to other platforms that I shoot better and have the features that suit me.

Alliance50
05-09-2012, 07:16
Carried a Glock for many years. Don't own one anymore. I have moved on to other platforms that I shoot better and have the features that suit me.

If you don't mind what Platform did you go to?

Three-Five-Seven
05-09-2012, 07:38
Glock has been my EDC for almost fifteen years.

Somebody will have to build a more reliable pistol for me to change. No one has done so, yet.

The Retired Sarge
05-09-2012, 08:02
Carried Glock and SIG Sauer for many years. Three years ago I bought my first HK, a P30. Marveled at the extreme quality. Took a serious inquiry into HK engineering and quality control processes. You just don't hear hardly any problems with HK products and their scheduled parts replacement is at almost unreal round counts. The path Glock has chosen with their recent productions really bothers me. So I went all HK. My current EDC is a HK P2000 V3 in 9mm. Bill

Glock_your_world
05-09-2012, 08:13
I use to carry Glock 30sf but now I carry a M&P 9 or 1911. The M&P gets carried more than the 1911. I no longer own a Glock . After shooting the M&P I just didn't care much for the Glock anymore.

James Dean
05-09-2012, 09:00
I bought my first HK, a USPc and its built like a tank. Quality inside and out, and shoots very nice. But for CC a Glock 26/27 is a hard hand to beat. They are small, reliable, light, and have great mag capacity. Add a + 2 base plate to either the 26/27 and don't leave home without either.

jay-bird
05-09-2012, 09:17
I bought my first HK, a USPc and its built like a tank. Quality inside and out, and shoots very nice. But for CC a Glock 26/27 is a hard hand to beat. They are small, reliable, light, and have great mag capacity. Add a + 2 base plate to either the 26/27 and don't leave home without either.

If you add a +2 baseplate, why not just carry the G19?

The only reason I carry the 26 is because of the smaller handle.

In a SD situation, are you really going to need 13 shots instead of 11?

gumbee
05-09-2012, 10:02
Had to carry a 23 at work, so my EDC now in retirement is a 2022 also in 40. Love the trigger, that's why.

Bruce M
05-09-2012, 10:07
For the last +decade daily it has been a USP .45. A couple years ago I got a G26 for weekends because it is smaller.

arclight610
05-09-2012, 10:14
I use to carry a Glock 19, but now I don't carry (moved to IL). I sold it for a 1911 and later bought a Sig Sp2022.

My new rape whistle has all the stopping power I need.

ZO6Vettever
05-09-2012, 11:04
I carried a wheel gun for years and moved to a semi-auto about 5 years ago. I had no idea what I wanted but hi-cap 9mm seemed to be it. I bought a Sigma, liked it so much I got my wife one. Few months ago she wanted something smaller and the G26 fit that. While at the shop getting her a G26 a G30 winked at me and became my new EDC. Where have they been all this time? I'll never knock the Sigma's as they were 100% reliable good shooters with thousands of rounds down range. Just is no denying it, the Glock trigger rocks compared to the Sigma's.

countrygun
05-09-2012, 11:30
Sigh........

Me and Glocks.

I got my first Glock (22c) a few years ago because the wife thought I needed a polymer,.40,Glock. Until then I had none of those things. I was underimpressed frankly. Within a couple of months picked up a Sig 2340. Now there is a plastic .40 I can like. Nothing really wrong with the Glock, just nothing to it that blew my skirt up. I got the grip angle "thing" out of the way but it just isn't as accurate as the 2340 in my hands. I learned to shoot decades ago with a Ruger standard and a 1911, progressing to a S&W 27 and K-22, then was taught the DA/SA method on second generation Smith autos. The Glock trigger solves no problems for me

I was so impressed with the 2340 that I picked up a 2022 triple serialed German. THAT is the plastic 9mm for me. Much more accurate than any stock Glock I've fired. Since I have the ability to shoot well enough to tell the difference why shouldn't I have the better shooter?

I am not a Glock "hater" in fact i got in trouble on another Forum with the owner (who falls all over himself when someone says "Glock") simply because I gave the Glock what I considered to be a compliment. I compared Glocks to the bill of fare at McDonalds. They are everywhere, they are consistent and no matter where you get one it will be the same as the one you get clear across the Country, it takes no major hurdles to order a different caliber and transition. All in all I thought it a compliment to Glock, apparently the success of McDonalds is considered an insult to some fanboys.

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago. I ordered an received a Glock 20 SF. I was beginning to worry about the years of shooting 10mm in my Witness and wanted another 10mm "in case" having reloading gear and brass in quantity. I am probably never going to own a Glock smaller than my 22c since I am trained and long practiced, on other systems and a "small" Glock doesn't give my any capabilities I don't already have in carry pistols.

If you like them, go for it, it's a great Country where we have so many choices in firearms, celebrate that by picking what you like.

James Dean
05-09-2012, 11:33

Even with a +2 the G26 is still smaller than my G19. I like the extended mag for the draw, as well as the +2 rounds. I feel much more comfortable with more rounds. True if your up against one person 11 is a lot of rounds, but what if you come home, or you walk into a store or restaurant and there is a multiple threat? I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best within reason.

ESI Agent
05-09-2012, 11:51
Carried a Glock 17 for about 15 years and now usually carry a Ruger P345 or others like the SR9c,P95. I shoot better with my P95,P345 then with my Glock 17 or 22, the Rugers do the same job as my glocks but do it for less. :supergrin:

Dan Glock
05-09-2012, 12:04
Started with a Glock 26, glock 36, glock 23.
Now only own the 23, and two new m&p's... Feel better and shoot them better. Now carry my shield! Looking for a m&p 9 pro

Cole125
05-09-2012, 16:47
In my opinion if you are going to carry IWB you cannot beat a G19. Small enough to conceal, lots of firepower, goes bang every time. 17 round mags for reloads. You don't need a pretty sissy 1911 with a ultra tuned action and a light match grade trigger to carry.

CBennett
05-09-2012, 17:28
I liked them till I owned one then its grips made me not own one lol..They are a great gun but for some they just dont work(i think you can say this of MANY guns for different people). Just too thick and at the wrong angle for me.

Restless28
05-09-2012, 17:34
I prefer revolvers. A 4 inch S&W 13-1 in .357 for nightstand and a S&W 642 for discreet carry. Hard to beat a .357/.38 Special Smith and Wesson. No Glock trigger can compare to that old Smith Magnum.

countrygun
05-09-2012, 17:51
If i carry an auto it is more likely to be a "sissy" kimber compact that throws .45 cal bullets in to a smaller group than any 9mm Glock I've ever seen. THAT is my definition of "Firepower"

Aceman
05-09-2012, 18:13
Glockularity!

MLittle
05-09-2012, 20:25

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone actually compared the length of the stock of a Glock 26 with +2 baseplate to a Glock 19. I also have a Glock 26 and was thinking I might need a Glock 19.

MoCop
05-09-2012, 21:05
I carried a Glock 22 on duty for 5 years. Great gun and nearly indestructible. Carried a G23 for off duty during that time. Both guns were great. They were tough and acurate. When I switched to a different dept that used Sigs, I carried a G19 the first year and thought very highly of it but eventually traded it in for my 1911 I shoot much better than any of the above listed guns. However, I'm wanting my G19 back!! I will get another one!!:supergrin:

James Dean
05-09-2012, 21:22
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone actually compared the length of the stock of a Glock 26 with +2 baseplate to a Glock 19. I also have a Glock 26 and was thinking I might need a Glock 19.
With the Glock +2 its still smaller than the G19. The way the base plate is the longer part is up front where you pinky would go so you get less of a print than you would with a G19 mag in the G26. Also the overall overall length of a G26 is smaller than a G19. Not by much but when its in your pants, and your sitting down driving I can feel the difference

Wolfgang2000
05-09-2012, 23:57
In my 28 years as a LEO I've carried just about all of them. N,L,K frames S&W revolvers in a variety of length bbl. Same with Colt and Ruger revolvers.

1911's, Sig p220 (then called a Browning BDA), and the P226. A variety of different S&W semi autos also. There were also some H&K's in there also.

My first Glock was a Glock 19. At first I wans that impressed with the way it felt in my hand. But the more I shot it the better it felt. The better it felt the more I shot it, and so on.

I later die a "gun swap" and ended up with another 19. My wife stated have tendinitis issues, and was having trouble qualifying with the Dept issue S&W 4046. The Dept had just started allowing officers to carry their own Glocks. I handed her one of the 19's and a box of ammo, and she was sold. Not only could she qualify, her scores improved. The only time I got that gun back after that was to clean it for her. :supergrin:

I then went to the Glock armorers school a couple times, till I retired. We decided that 9MM was going to be our SD round, and Glock was going to be the guns. Both of our carbines, Marlin Camp and Kel-Tec sub2K take Glock magazines. The only 9MM we have that doesn't take Glock mags is my S&W 940 J frame.

Is the Glock right for everyone? NO we are all individuals. But they are right for me and my family.

Reb 56
05-10-2012, 00:10
Glock has been my EDC for almost fifteen years.

Somebody will have to build a more reliable pistol for me to change. No one has done so, yet.

I too have been carrying a Glock for about 12 yrs but the problems with gen 4 has me turned off. No more Glocks untill they restore the reliabilty that was their trademark.

redcat11
05-10-2012, 17:18
I carried a glock 22 for about 5 years, then I switched to a Kimber CDP II, the 1911 was intimidating looking, especially if you are a perp looking down the barrel, the .45 is an excellent round. But one thing that turned me off from the 1911 is the maintenance, 3.5 inch barrel was not reliable and had to get it tuned in from a master gunsmith, well after 600 rounds of breaking in the gun it eventually was a tack driver. But recently I got a glock 36 and out of the box no FTF and accuracy was up to par with my Kimber. I shoot them both at the range and usually put 150 round through each and each time the glock comes out with no FTF, the Kimber sometimes out of 50 rounds or so the slide may not rack back and seems that there still is a round in the chamber. Overall I can shoot the glock repeatedly and not worry about malfunctions, cleaning is very basic with the glock, however with the 1911 well its a different story. 1911's are good guns and accurate but my carry piece will always be a glock especially the 36, reliable, concealable, and accurate.

poodleplumber
05-11-2012, 08:57
I carried a S&W 642 for many years, but became convinced by the arguments for increased capacity and switched to a semi. Chose Glock for its simplicity and reliability. Chose G26 for its concealability. No regrets 4 years in.