Why on Earth would Smith & Wesson stop producing the 952? :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why on Earth would Smith & Wesson stop producing the 952? :(

bac1023
05-09-2012, 08:12
I recently discovered that earlier this year, S&W stopped making the 952. That's a crime, in my opinion, because I feel its the best auto in their current lineup and could quite possibly be the best pistol they ever produced.

I'm assuming they weren't selling enough to justify the cost of production, which I'm sure wasn't cheap. Actually, the 945 is done as well, but that makes sense to me, because its so similar to the Performance Center 1911s they build. All that's being built in the Performance Center now are 1911s and revolvers.

The 952 may just be my second favorite 9mm, after the Browning Hi-Power. What a damn shame. I know these pistols cost near $2K, but they were easily worth it.

Here's my blued 952-1, but I want one of the stainless longslide models at some point. I guess Gunbroker is where I need to look now. :sad:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/063.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/066.jpg

carbuncle
05-09-2012, 08:25
They were producing the metal-frame semi-auto guns at the factory in Maine, same place they make the 1911s. It's my understanding that they shut down the few remaining 3rd Gen guns (2010 was the last year?) and the boutique models to focus on the 1911s, since they can't keep up with the demand for them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

FL Airedale
05-09-2012, 08:55
Simple explanation: S&W decided that they could make more money by not producing this pistol.

4 glocks
05-09-2012, 09:03
That handgun is gorgeous. I bet it's worth more now.

faawrenchbndr
05-09-2012, 09:15
A neighbor I had in Montana was a LEO Detective, he carried
a 952 Smith.

Must be lack of sales........I have not seen one in a Gunshop in years.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-09-2012, 09:19
I kinda wish they still made the various 3rd Gen guns. There are 1 or two I wish I could have bought. I'm not a fan of used guns, so I don't wanna buy a used one

countrygun
05-09-2012, 10:18
I kinda wish they still made the various 3rd Gen guns. There are 1 or two I wish I could have bought. I'm not a fan of used guns, so I don't wanna buy a used one

I am always glad to hear someone say that, it means I have less competition for the great used guns, Colt Pythons, "P&R" S&Ws. Smith 39s, Colt series 70 and Pre 70s, Older Highpowers.:rofl:

Bruce M
05-09-2012, 10:43
It pays to remember that generally Smith and Wesson never really totally stops producing a gun, but rather puts it into suspension for a few years or decades... or maybe a century...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/150188_large.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/9380/10372615_1.jpg

Bruce M
05-09-2012, 10:51
My guess is that some years or decades down the road someone will retire and then someone else will be cleaning out their desk or work station and find something like a frame for a 952 (or maybe a slide or a barrel.) And then he will ask someone else what it is, they will find a few more 952 parts, and then after some discussion, someone will decide to make up a couple dozen 952s... or Model 18s, or a few Centenials.

For a couple months in the winter and then when mud season and black fly season roll around in Maine there isn't as much to do outdoors...

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:23

I'd venture to say that 80-90% of the guns I buy are used.

Most of the guns I really like aren't produced anymore and/or I like the older production models more than the new stuff.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:25
They were producing the metal-frame semi-auto guns at the factory in Maine, same place they make the 1911s. It's my understanding that they shut down the few remaining 3rd Gen guns (2010 was the last year?) and the boutique models to focus on the 1911s, since they can't keep up with the demand for them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Makes sense, but I still think they were producing them last year. I know they were on the website, anyway.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-09-2012, 11:30
I'd venture to say that 80-90% of the guns I buy are used.

Most of the guns I really like aren't produced anymore and/or I like the older production models more than the new stuff.

I hear ya. I buy current production models, though. I just feel better buying new. Seen and read too many horror stories. Plus, many used guns are not discounted enough to make me wanna buy them over new.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:33
I hear ya. I buy current production models, though. I just feel better buying new. Seen and read too many horror stories. Plus, many used guns are not discounted enough to make me wanna buy them over new.

The problem is that the new guns don't interest me much, unless its a custom or semi-custom 1911.

The only new guns I have left on my list to get are a couple 1911s.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-09-2012, 11:38
The problem is that the new guns don't interest me much, unless its a custom or semi-custom 1911.

Yea. I see the collection you have. I would never have owned as many guns as I have over the past 16+ years had I not sold some to buy others. It would have been fantastic to still own them all. But, I can't afford it.

However, I've owned almost everything there is to own at one point or another... Sometimes more than once :)

The Ed Brown and Springfield Custom guns were the most expensive single guns I've ever owned. But, I've decided not to go down that route again.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:39
That handgun is gorgeous.

Thank you sir. S&W only built blued 952-1's for one year. After that, it was stainless only (952-2).

I do feel the 952, both blued and stainless, is one of the best looking pistols ever built. Its also one of the most accurate.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:40
Yea. I see the collection you have. I would never have owned as many guns as I have over the past 16+ years had I not sold some to buy others. It would have been fantastic to still own them all. But, I can't afford it.

However, I've owned almost everything there is to own at one point or another... Sometimes more than once :)

The Ed Brown and Springfield Custom guns were the most expensive single guns I've ever owned. But, I've decided not to go down that route again.

I hear you, my friend. Everyone likes something different.

countrygun
05-09-2012, 11:42

I relate to that. Unless a new 10mm that is remarkable comes on the scene, or someone legitimizes the .41 special I just can't work up more than a vigorish "yawn" over the new guns I see on the magazine covers.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 11:44
I relate to that. Unless a new 10mm that is remarkable comes on the scene, or someone legitimizes the .41 special I just can't work up more than a vigorish "yawn" over the new guns I see on the magazine covers.

Yeah, its the same crap over and over again.

Most are quality guns, but they just don't do anything for me. :dunno:

4 glocks
05-09-2012, 11:51
Thank you sir. S&W only built blued 952-1's for one year. After that, it was stainless only (952-2).

I do feel the 952, both blued and stainless, is one of the best looking pistols ever built. Its also one of the most accurate.

If they only made them for 1 year and cost almost 2K I would guess they did not sell very many. Who knows what they will sell for years down the road.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-09-2012, 11:53
Well, I think I am done with gun buying for now. I get a collective breath intake when I mention that on some forums. I know - sacrilegious for gun owners to say :supergrin:

But after non stop buying and selling from 96 or 97, I am tired of it. There was always a gun I was chasing, and then the planned one after that, and after that (3-4 gun purchases out, all planned). And, to make a purchase, I sold a gun I had lost interest in or didn't like anymore... Along with saving feverishly and doing what I could for extra money...

I'd charge a gun, pay it off in 2-4 months, then get the next one (I didn't have the patience to save for it first - buy by paying it off so fast, I didn't pay hardly any interest).

Doing this, I have owned quite a lot of handguns. Lately (the past couple of years), I decided I liked Beretta 92s the best... I've slowly gotten rid of almost everything else, and have just that.

I actually had no intention of buying my new S&W Shield - but I've had health problems and cannot carry IWB right now - so, there goes carrying my 2.5+ lb Beretta 92. I rented the Shield and liked it enough to get one. But, I sold some flashlights I had just sitting on my shelf to pay for it... And, I sold my Kahr PM9 last Sunday to recover some more funds.

I think I'm gonna slowly keep saving for trips now. I really enjoyed my trip to Philly last Feb - to see the Flyers play and to go to an event to meet the team and get a lot of autographs. I plan to go again next year.

So, after spending so much money on guns that I don't wanna add it up after all these years - I'm taking a hiatus. I can't say I'll never buy another gun again. In 3-4 years, I might... Maybe longer... Maybe something will come along that I just gotta have...

But, while I still occasionally see something that sorta kinda grabs my interest... I know that in 1,2 or 3 years time, I'll likely end up putting it up forsale for something else. May as well not even go down that road :tongueout:

4 glocks
05-09-2012, 12:10
For some reason that gun reminds me of my S&W model 41.

oldnoob
05-09-2012, 13:39
News to me. That is sad for I have long been wanting one. I need to snap one before it complete gone from the market.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 15:27
If they only made them for 1 year and cost almost 2K I would guess they did not sell very many. Who knows what they will sell for years down the road.

They actually built the 952 for about 9 years, but the blued model just one year in 2003. I'm not sure what they sold for back then, but I'm sure it was less.

Right now, 952 values haven't been going up, but you never know.

They didn't built many of them throughout their production, but it depends on demand. The 952 is a specialized pistol and not very well suited to carry, as the safety is awkward. Its based off the old model 52 bullseye pistol that shot 38 Special wadcutters.

Bruce M
05-09-2012, 15:41
I wonder how many of them they make (made) in a year.

CBennett
05-09-2012, 15:47
Because you answered your own question $2K. Your 100% correct it looks like a great pistol. But in this lifetime its 3X out of my price range lol

Jim Watson
05-09-2012, 15:53
I felt like they started downhill when they dropped the original 952 almost immediately after introduction.
The -1 and -2 with grip safeties never felt quite as nice to me, and neither had as nice a trigger pull as the original gun I shot but did not buy. Never mind my real M52-2 .38 Midrange; now THAT'S a TRIGGER!

bac1023
05-09-2012, 16:43
Well, I think I am done with gun buying for now. I get a collective breath intake when I mention that on some forums. I know - sacrilegious for gun owners to say :supergrin:

But after non stop buying and selling from 96 or 97, I am tired of it. There was always a gun I was chasing, and then the planned one after that, and after that (3-4 gun purchases out, all planned). And, to make a purchase, I sold a gun I had lost interest in or didn't like anymore... Along with saving feverishly and doing what I could for extra money...

I'd charge a gun, pay it off in 2-4 months, then get the next one (I didn't have the patience to save for it first - buy by paying it off so fast, I didn't pay hardly any interest).

Doing this, I have owned quite a lot of handguns. Lately (the past couple of years), I decided I liked Beretta 92s the best... I've slowly gotten rid of almost everything else, and have just that.

I actually had no intention of buying my new S&W Shield - but I've had health problems and cannot carry IWB right now - so, there goes carrying my 2.5+ lb Beretta 92. I rented the Shield and liked it enough to get one. But, I sold some flashlights I had just sitting on my shelf to pay for it... And, I sold my Kahr PM9 last Sunday to recover some more funds.

I think I'm gonna slowly keep saving for trips now. I really enjoyed my trip to Philly last Feb - to see the Flyers play and to go to an event to meet the team and get a lot of autographs. I plan to go again next year.

So, after spending so much money on guns that I don't wanna add it up after all these years - I'm taking a hiatus. I can't say I'll never buy another gun again. In 3-4 years, I might... Maybe longer... Maybe something will come along that I just gotta have...

But, while I still occasionally see something that sorta kinda grabs my interest... I know that in 1,2 or 3 years time, I'll likely end up putting it up forsale for something else. May as well not even go down that road :tongueout:

That sounds good, my friend.

BTW, glad you enjoyed your trip to Philly. There's a lot of great history here. I live about an hour outside the city.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 16:47
Because you answered your own question $2K. Your 100% correct it looks like a great pistol. But in this lifetime its 3X out of my price range lol

I hear you. However, its actually a decent buy for the type of pistol it is. Sig is doing very well with its X-Five line and I feel the 952 is just as nice.

I actually prefer the 952 to the Sig.

Sig also reintroduced the P210 that sells for the same price. I'm not sure how long it will remain in production though.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 16:51
I felt like they started downhill when they dropped the original 952 almost immediately after introduction.
The -1 and -2 with grip safeties never felt quite as nice to me, and neither had as nice a trigger pull as the original gun I shot but did not buy. Never mind my real M52-2 .38 Midrange; now THAT'S a TRIGGER!

Yeah, the 52's trigger is one of the best around and better than the 952. Its a shame the gun is so specialized. Its pretty much useless outside bullseye events.

Its a beautiful gun though. :cool:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/023-1.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/025-1.jpg

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-09-2012, 17:18
That sounds good, my friend.

BTW, glad you enjoyed your trip to Philly. There's a lot of great history here. I live about an hour outside the city.

Yes, it is a lovely city. I may make it an annual trip, as long as I don't get sick of the airline security nonsense :rofl:

bac1023
05-09-2012, 18:10
Yes, it is a lovely city. I may make it an annual trip, as long as I don't get sick of the airline security nonsense :rofl:

I hear you with that. :upeyes:

Wyoming
05-09-2012, 20:55
I recently discovered that earlier this year, S&W stopped making the 952. That's a crime, in my opinion, because I feel its the best auto in their current lineup and could quite possibly be the best pistol they ever produced.

I'm assuming they weren't selling enough to justify the cost of production, which I'm sure wasn't cheap. Actually, the 945 is done as well, but that makes sense to me, because its so similar to the Performance Center 1911s they build. All that's being built in the Performance Center now are 1911s and revolvers.

The 952 may just be my second favorite 9mm, after the Browning Hi-Power. What a damn shame. I know these pistols cost near $2K, but they were easily worth it.

Here's my blued 952-1, but I want one of the stainless longslide models at some point. I guess Gunbroker is where I need to look now. :sad:

Sorry to hear this. I guess not enough profit so why bother. It used to be if a company made something truly outstanding they would make it just because of pride.

bac, I think like you that S&W also dropped their 945. (I never read or heard anything anouncements from Smith) When I went to buy one I looked at all their big wholesalers. No one had them. Smith didn't have any in inventory and were not making them at this time. You can still buy magazines from Smith. I think Smith will stop making their 945 almost 1911 and focus on their real 1911's.

The one thing that Smith's target auto had was that round titanium bushing that tilts and supports the barrel. I believe that is gone forever.

I did find one on Gun Broker in what I call "bac primo condition :cool:" with extra magazine. I got it last weekend and already got it sighted in for my left handiness. It shoots under 3" without a rest and is dead on.:thumbsup:

I am very pleased and want to thank you for making me buy one!

I promise I won't buy a 952 off of Gun Broker until I know you got yours that way we don't bid against each other.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 21:30
Sorry to hear this. I guess not enough profit so why bother. It used to be if a company made something truly outstanding they would make it just because of pride.

bac, I think like you that S&W also dropped their 945. (I never read or heard anything anouncements from Smith) When I went to buy one I looked at all their big wholesalers. No one had them. Smith didn't have any in inventory and were not making them at this time. You can still buy magazines from Smith. I think Smith will stop making their 945 almost 1911 and focus on their real 1911's.

The one thing that Smith's target auto had was that round titanium bushing that tilts and supports the barrel. I believe that is gone forever.

I did find one on Gun Broker in what I call "bac primo condition :cool:" with extra magazine. I got it last weekend and already got it sighted in for my left handiness. It shoots under 3" without a rest and is dead on.:thumbsup:

I am very pleased and want to thank you for making me buy one!

I promise I won't buy a 952 off of Gun Broker until I know you got yours that way we don't bid against each other.

Awesome.

I'm glad you tracked down a 945. They're certainly more common than the 952 is.

Yeah, the gold bushing is probably gone forever. Honestly, even though the 1911 is my favorite platform, I feel the 952 and 945 are both better pistols than the Performance Center 1911s are. I have one of those too.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 21:39
A neighbor I had in Montana was a LEO Detective, he carried
a 952 Smith.

That's interesting, Greg.

I never looked at the 952 as a carry gun, because the safety is so awkward. Its SAO, but it can't be carried cocked and locked, because the safety doesn't lock the trigger. It simply blocks the firing bin. Its either hammer back with the safety on and a hair trigger or hammer down with the safety on. You would have to cock the hammer and move the safety to fire it. I guess anything's possible though. It does have a grip safety.

It is an amazing shooter once its ready to go. Its one of the best shooting pistols ever built.

Folsom_Prison
05-09-2012, 22:05
Very nice piece Bac but out of my price range. Your a man with fine taste in pistols!

bac1023
05-09-2012, 22:14
Very nice piece Bac but out of my price range. Your a man with fine taste in pistols!

Thanks! :cool:

carbuncle
05-09-2012, 22:26
Makes sense, but I still think they were producing them last year. I know they were on the website, anyway.

They were probably burning the existing stock of frames and such out. BTW, nice gun there!

bac1023
05-09-2012, 22:30
They were probably burning the existing stock of frames and such out. BTW, nice gun there!

Thanks.

You're probably right.

Glock40man
05-10-2012, 03:08
Very nice Bac.

deadite
05-10-2012, 05:25
For some reason that gun reminds me of my S&W model 41.

Both are really great guns made with craftsmanship and quality. I'm a fan of both.

bac1023
05-10-2012, 05:45
Both are really great guns made with craftsmanship and quality. I'm a fan of both.

I am as well.

Maybe some day I'll actually get myself a 41. :)

TalkToTheGlock
05-10-2012, 08:31
That is one beautiful pistol Bac!

bac1023
05-10-2012, 11:09
That is one beautiful pistol Bac!

Gary1911A1
05-10-2012, 11:23
I think the 952 was popular in PPC Matches, but there are not that many competitors anymore. I use to shoot PPC, but haven't shot a match in decades.

bac1023
05-10-2012, 11:48
I think the 952 was popular in PPC Matches, but there are not that many competitors anymore. I use to shoot PPC, but haven't shot a match in decades.

Well, its definitely a bit outdated generally speaking.

I just love it for its craftsmanship and accuracy. The fact that its such a beautiful pistol doesn't hurt either. ;)

DreamWeaver88
05-10-2012, 15:54
Didn't they make the 945 and 952 each year for certain distributors? Maybe they just didn't order any so smith dropped them.

I love my 945, and the 952 looks awesome, but I think the price made them a bit of a tough sell. I mean, there's a NIB 945 no dash on gunbroker right now....and that's from the first year of production....no?

DW

bac1023
05-10-2012, 17:42
Didn't they make the 945 and 952 each year for certain distributors? Maybe they just didn't order any so smith dropped them.

I love my 945, and the 952 looks awesome, but I think the price made them a bit of a tough sell. I mean, there's a NIB 945 no dash on gunbroker right now....and that's from the first year of production....no?

DW

I think the no dash 945 was just one year, but I'm not sure. :dunno:

skud_dusty
05-10-2012, 18:17
Holy cow :wow:

http://i.imgur.com/mopqC.jpg

Stolen from smith-wessonforum.com

bac1023
05-10-2012, 20:30

Wow, that's awesome! :wow:

:faint:

Its no doubt one of the best 9mms ever built.

Wyoming
05-10-2012, 20:38

DW

I noticed that my serial number on my 945 starts with LEW. When I saw that I figured Lew Horton. Am I correct?

Wyoming
05-10-2012, 20:43

Holy cow is right! That is definitely the wrong background color! :rofl:

bac needs to give us a "how to" on photographing handguns.

bac1023
05-10-2012, 21:02
bac needs to give us a "how to" on photographing handguns.

I've never been that good at photographing a group though.

DreamWeaver88
05-10-2012, 21:05
I noticed that my serial number on my 945 starts with LEW. When I saw that I figured Lew Horton. Am I correct?

I believe so. My 945 serial also starts with LEW. Mine is from the first run I believe. It didn't even come in the Aluminum PC case. It's just a cheap black plastic box with a PC sticker on it.

DW

bac1023
05-10-2012, 21:17
I have an 845 on the way this summer. :cool:

TalkToTheGlock
05-11-2012, 00:43
The Smith forum stole your wheel shipwreck! I hope you patented that wheel!

TalkToTheGlock
05-11-2012, 00:50
I really can kick myself on not picking up the 952 they had at our Cabelas in Hamburg Bac.

I remember they had a 952, a Performance center 1911, a model 29, and a Colt Anaconda.

I chose the model 29 out of the four and am kicking myself. The Anaconda was a 6 inch I believe and they only wanted $865, the 1911 was $1100, and the 952 was right around $1300 or so.

I went back down to pick up the Colt and it was gone and someone was buying the 1911 and the 952 was shipped to another store out of state.

Some of their prices baffle me in the gun library. Sometimes they charge too much and sometimes there are great deals to be had. Their selection now in the gun library is awful anymore. No more Wilson's, Nighthawks, or Browns. Mostly newer Sigs and a FiveSeven.

I think the 952 was blued. It was a beaut.

bac1023
05-11-2012, 03:55
The Smith forum stole your wheel shipwreck! I hope you patented that wheel!

:rofl:

bac1023
05-11-2012, 03:57
I really can kick myself on not picking up the 952 they had at our Cabelas in Hamburg Bac.

I remember they had a 952, a Performance center 1911, a model 29, and a Colt Anaconda.

I chose the model 29 out of the four and am kicking myself. The Anaconda was a 6 inch I believe and they only wanted $865, the 1911 was $1100, and the 952 was right around $1300 or so.

I went back down to pick up the Colt and it was gone and someone was buying the 1911 and the 952 was shipped to another store out of state.

Some of their prices baffle me in the gun library. Sometimes they charge too much and sometimes there are great deals to be had. Their selection now in the gun library is awful anymore. No more Wilson's, Nighthawks, or Browns. Mostly newer Sigs and a FiveSeven.

I think the 952 was blued. It was a beaut.

Sorry to hear.

I do love the 29 though.

I've bought a few nice handguns at that Cabelas. In fact, that's where I purchased my 945.

SonnyCrockett
05-11-2012, 04:06

very sexy gun.......all metal smiths semi autos rocked
todays plastic glock copies not so much...CZ is my new S&W replacments

bac1023
05-11-2012, 04:36

I agree on both points.

Gary1911A1
05-11-2012, 06:29

I agree too!:cool:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-11-2012, 10:13
I've never been that good at photographing a group though.

I have to go outside (to get DIRECT sunlight) and sometimes use a flash (but ya gotta back off a bit to not get too much flash) when I do my group Beretta pics...

bac1023
05-11-2012, 21:02
I have to go outside (to get DIRECT sunlight) and sometimes use a flash (but ya gotta back off a bit to not get too much flash) when I do my group Beretta pics...

Yeah, you definitely can't be too close.

FLIPPER 348
05-11-2012, 22:17

If they were a profitable pistol to produce S&W would keep making them.

bac1023
05-12-2012, 04:54
If they were a profitable pistol to produce S&W would keep making them.

Yep, exactly my thoughts

Bruce M
05-12-2012, 13:54
I would guess (and I admit I have no business sense whatsoever and have difficulty counting pocket change) that neither the 952 nor the the 52 were ever especially profitable for Smith and Wesson but rather have been made for bragging rights. I would also guess that the decision to suspend the 952 is based more on needing the people and space for other more popularly desired (i.e. higher volume) guns.

bac1023
05-12-2012, 16:26
I would guess (and I admit I have no business sense whatsoever and have difficulty counting pocket change) that neither the 952 nor the the 52 were ever especially profitable for Smith and Wesson but rather have been made for bragging rights. I would also guess that the decision to suspend the 952 is based more on needing the people and space for other more popularly desired (i.e. higher volume) guns.

Certainly a good point