How to get accurate value? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to get accurate value?

latham44
05-09-2012, 18:07
How do you all get an accurate value of your weapons? I have a .308 rifle I am wanting to sell and I've googled it for the last 45 minutes and I've seen the price vary by $400 or so. So how do you guys do it?

If anyone is knowledgeable about Savage prices, please let me know!?!

Thanks

Aceman
05-09-2012, 18:11
Value for what? Insurance, to sell, could get if patient....

Need to be more specific. Value to sell: Find out what it is selling for on Gun Broker. remember, need to sell and poor condition drive price down, patience and good condition drive it up to the high end.

Value to sell to a dealer? Take it to a few and ask them what they will give you for it. Assume it might be a little more (10% or less) if they buy it.

Take it to appraiser. But the actual value does not mean that's what it would bring in a real sale.

Cost to replace = same or very similar brand / model, for insurance purpose.

Also, Blue Book. Most people also OVER value things because of sentiment and the desire for top dollar. Be realistic.

ak103k
05-09-2012, 18:17
I usually go on Gun Broker and see what similar guns sold for on past auctions. You want to look for the guns that actually sold, and not what people are looking to get.

That should give you a pretty good idea as to what youre likely to get.

countrygun
05-09-2012, 18:18
How do you all get an accurate value of your weapons? I have a .308 rifle I am wanting to sell and I've googled it for the last 45 minutes and I've seen the price vary by $400 or so. So how do you guys do it?

If anyone is knowledgeable about Savage prices, please let me know!?!

Thanks

Despite the "universal" effect of the internet you still run in to what I call the "regional value" effect. for instance, a couple of years ago i picked up a hardly (if at all) fired Savage 110 in 30-06 with 3x9 scope for $240.

Unless you are selling on the internet, in which case you can ask for the highest value and hope, you still have to figure out what YOUR local economy and demand values the gun at. In my area used bolt actions, unless older "classics" sit on the LGS shelf while Winchester 94s move quickly ans Marlin 336s are hard to find and in demand.

gunsmithlee
05-09-2012, 18:33
This is all you need to know, how fast do you want to sell it?

High retail is what you will find one used for in a pawn shop or local gun shop. You will commonly find most willing to budge within a certain percentage from high retail.

Market price is typically what you will find them listed of online at no reserve assuming there is more than 3 or 4 avialable. This is also typically low retail. This is what you should list your gun at, however don't expect to sell it tomorrow or the next day.

High wholesale is more than the highest amount a pawn shop or gun shop will give you for the gun. However its lower than the market place, enough to be considered "Well thats a good deal..." This is what you should ask if you want to sell it within the next week.

Low wholesale is usually what a distributor doing a bulk buyout from a police inventory will sell in shotgun news. Cole distributor kind of price. Like those Beretta M9's they had for $300-350... yup those. They go real quick, then sit in gunshops for years at high retail before they sell. But also this is about the best price you can expect to get for your used gun from a gunshop or pawn shop.

Crack head, need money now price... Just what it says. Is it stolen? Maybe... This is the pretty much to good to be true price or street value of your gun. You will be able to sell it today if you put it on market. This is usually a good price to start a gunbroker auction. But this is also the exact amount of money a pawn shop or gun shop will rape you for your gun if you sell it or trade it in to them.

bac1023
05-10-2012, 12:01
I always go to Gunbroker to see what the model is selling for.

Guns are worth what people are willing to spend on them.