Biblical Archaeology [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Biblical Archaeology

Kingarthurhk
05-10-2012, 14:30
The stones of Israel Archaeology Digging for the Truth of the Bible.flv - YouTube

Kingarthurhk
05-10-2012, 15:08
NEW! Jericho Unearthed Bible Proof - YouTube

cowboywannabe
05-10-2012, 15:50
the bible does not mention dinosaurs because God did not know they existed so man believed the bones to be from giants.

TKM
05-11-2012, 15:39
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple.:whistling:

Stolen shamelessly from elsewhere.

Kingarthurhk
05-11-2012, 15:43
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

http://www.ceremoniallaw.com/

Lone Wolf8634
05-11-2012, 16:38
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you..................

I LOLed.

Kingarthurhk
05-11-2012, 19:54
Israel In Ancient Egypt - Archaeological Proof - YouTube

This particular feature doesn't know how to handle the supernatural aspect of the plagues in Egypt, but it shows archaeologically that Israel did in fact live in ancient Egypt and validates Exodus.

Geko45
05-11-2012, 20:07
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you,

Bravo.

:notworthy:

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 21:36
This particular feature doesn't know how to handle the supernatural aspect of the plagues in Egypt, but it shows archaeologically that Israel did in fact live in ancient Egypt and validates Exodus. What specific archaeological findings show "Israel did in fact live in ancient Egypt"? Don't just post a video, provide the actual documentation which validates this claim.

Paul7
05-11-2012, 21:39
Dear Arthur,

You might have a point if we were Bronze-age members of the theocracy of Israel.

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 21:52
You might have a point if we were Bronze-age members of the theocracy of Israel.
Once again, you're admitting the Bible and its attendant morality do change over time?

Kingarthurhk
05-11-2012, 22:00
What specific archaeological findings show "Israel did in fact live in ancient Egypt"? Don't just post a video, provide the actual documentation which validates this claim.

Which is why I posted the video.

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 22:13
Which is why I posted the video.You post hours of video, I can post just as many claiming that the Israelites were never in Egypt and originated as another tribe of canaanites. The difference being that mine will actually examine the evidence not twist vague references to fit a preconceived position. If you can't even be bothered to explicitly state what evidence exists, why should you be taken at all seriously? You post hours of video, it appears your tactic is to simply drown everyone in time wasting movies, rather than actually discuss these topics.

Blast
05-11-2012, 22:48
You post hours of video, I can post just as many claiming that the Israelites were never in Egypt and originated as another tribe of canaanites. The difference being that mine will actually examine the evidence not twist vague references to fit a preconceived position. If you can't even be bothered to explicitly state what evidence exists, why should you be taken at all seriously? You post hours of video, it appears your tactic is to simply drown everyone in time wasting movies, rather than actually discuss these topics.
Then post them.

So what is wrong with someone posting videos containing information? Why do you insist on someone posting in their own words?
Ah, I know... you would rather argue and twist someones words and meaning. You can't do that with documented facts and illustrations.
The typical atheist tactic, convolute and twist. :yawn:

The atheist desperation continues.:upeyes:

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 23:01
Then post them. Those aren't the tactics I choose to employ.
So what is wrong with someone posting videos containing information? It takes a few seconds to post a video and literally hours to watch and respond to it.
Why do you insist on someone posting in their own words? Because the purpose of the board is to have discussions, not to see who can post longer videos.
Ah, I know... you would rather argue and twist someones words and meaning. You can't do that with documented facts and illustrations. Clearly you don't know, and as demonstrated by a number of the videos that have been posted, just because it's a moving picture doesn't mean it have either documented facts or valid information.
The typical atheist tactic, convolute and twist. :yawn: I don't know about typical atheist tactics. Mine typical tactic is to pursue the truth and strive for factual accuracy, taking into account all information, not just that which happens to agree with what I believe.
The atheist desperation continues.:upeyes:
As usual your characterization is wrong and based more in projections of your own anger than in facts.

Kingarthurhk
05-12-2012, 08:09
You post hours of video, I can post just as many claiming that the Israelites were never in Egypt and originated as another tribe of canaanites. The difference being that mine will actually examine the evidence not twist vague references to fit a preconceived position. If you can't even be bothered to explicitly state what evidence exists, why should you be taken at all seriously? You post hours of video, it appears your tactic is to simply drown everyone in time wasting movies, rather than actually discuss these topics.

Because the material is too vast to cover in just a blurb. The reason I posted this is because of archaeolgical finds in Egypt that correspond with what was detailed in Exodus. It included semetic writings by slaves, it included two lost cities mentioned in Exodus being unearther, it mentioned finding Rameses II horse stall with chariot facilities numbering over 500, and the it goes on and on, so that is why I posted the vidoe; because, as I said, there is more evidence than there is room for a post.

steveksux
05-12-2012, 15:52
You aren't really trying to propose that if ANYTHING is true in the Exodus accounts, like if Israelites really lived in Egypt, it proves the entire account is accurate?

Like just because Egypt had chariots doesn't prove that in a miracle, Moses parted the Red Sea and buried some of them.

Please tell us that's not your train of thought here.

Randy

Paul7
05-12-2012, 16:22
Once again, you're admitting the Bible and its attendant morality do change over time?

What was appropriate for the theocracy of Israel (God's vehicle for the Messiah, which He wanted to keep pure from surrounding pagan influences) and what is appropriate for the church age are two different things. See Galatians.

Kingarthurhk
05-12-2012, 16:26
You aren't really trying to propose that if ANYTHING is true in the Exodus accounts, like if Israelites really lived in Egypt, it proves the entire account is accurate?

Like just because Egypt had chariots doesn't prove that in a miracle, Moses parted the Red Sea and buried some of them.

Please tell us that's not your train of thought here.

Randy

The train of of thought is the archaeological evidence points to scripture as being accurate as an historical account. In order to accept the supernatural aspects of scipture, you would have to accept the metaphysical paradigm that God exists, which you do not.

For those of us that do believe in scripture on both accounts, it merely subtantiates that belief.

Kingarthurhk
05-12-2012, 16:28
Proof for the Bible ''The dead sea scrolls Dr.Patton Ph.D - YouTube

Dead Sea Scrolls.

steveksux
05-12-2012, 16:35
The train of of thought is the archaeological evidence points to scripture as being accurate as an historical account. In order to accept the supernatural aspects of scipture, you would have to accept the metaphysical paradigm that God exists, which you do not.

For those of us that do believe in scripture on both accounts, it merely subtantiates that belief.Fair enough, we are in agreement then, just checking...

I'd be surprised if there was a lot of dispute about the historical aspects of scripture... There's no real axe to grind on those points. They had plenty of real cities to talk about, no reason to make them up out of whole cloth. I would think the majority really existed, and in fact many have been discovered by archaeologists.

Randy

Animal Mother
05-12-2012, 17:44
Because the material is too vast to cover in just a blurb. The reason I posted this is because of archaeolgical finds in Egypt that correspond with what was detailed in Exodus. It included semetic writings by slaves, it included two lost cities mentioned in Exodus being unearther, it mentioned finding Rameses II horse stall with chariot facilities numbering over 500, and the it goes on and on, so that is why I posted the vidoe; because, as I said, there is more evidence than there is room for a post. It also makes it much harder to respond to the supposed evidence. For example, to point out that all the "evidence" you cite is not contemporaneous, with much of it dating to a point after which the Israelites were known to already be an existing group in the Levant. That the semetic writings were Proto-Sinaitic, didn't mention El, and don't prove any large ethnic group's presence in Egypt.

But let's take this step by step. How long elapsed between Joseph's family arriving in Egypt and the Exodus?

Animal Mother
05-12-2012, 17:44
What was appropriate for the theocracy of Israel (God's vehicle for the Messiah, which He wanted to keep pure from surrounding pagan influences) and what is appropriate for the church age are two different things. See Galatians. That's a yes to morality changing over time then?

fowl intent
05-20-2012, 13:32
I realized a while back that you cannot have a rational, reasoned debate with someone whose entire theology, and frame of reference is one book. (whether that book is the Christian Bible, the Jewish Torah or the Quran of the Islam faith) They can only back up thier beliefs and positions, by quoting that same book, and then they fail to see the failuire of that cyclical logic. If someone doesn't agree with their theology, the unfortunates are either summarily damned to eternal hellfire, or are told they simply don't have enough faith. (I must admit I have never had a Jewish person tell me either of these things)

This in itself isn't such a big problem for me, because every one is on their own path to enlightenment, and it should be so. The problem is that in addition to the above, they have this strong compulsion to try to convert others to thier religion, and in doing so often twist and misconstrue both known history and accepted science.

Brasso
05-20-2012, 14:29

Your devoted disciple.

http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson161.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson162.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson163.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson164PM.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson165.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson166PM.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson167.html
http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/lessons/lesson168PM.html