Picked up my FS M&P 9mm today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my FS M&P 9mm today

Nakanokalronin
05-10-2012, 14:55
Picked up my FS M&P 9mm today!

Although I have larger type hands, the medium backstrap seems to work the best. The date it was made is 5/01/2012 so it looks to be from fairly recent run. I have to say, the trigger pull is pretty short as is the reset. I can actually hear a click when it resets and feel it in my finger. I doubt it's one of the new trigger systems (or is it?) being put into production but it's not like what is being described as a typical M&P trigger. It's not like the Shield I handled (and have on order) but you can tell were it resets quite easily.

I like the thumb safeties as they are pretty close to the type on my 1911s which are the main guns I shoot and carry. Flicking it off is like second nature so no worries there. The grip angle is perfect unlike the many Glocks I owned and sold and the texture is much better than the XDs I also used to own.

I have 4 mags coming in from 44mag.com that should be here tomorrow and will be taking it to the range this weekend. I'm really looking forward to putting many rounds down range including a variety of HP ammo. Range report will come soon enough so stay tuned!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg834/scaled.php?server=834&filename=mp9mm.jpg&res=landing
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg685/scaled.php?server=685&filename=mpwmag.jpg&res=landing

cowboy1964
05-10-2012, 15:09
Congrats. M&Ps are Glocks with many of the issues fixed (grip angle, better slide serrations, etc).

Folsom_Prison
05-10-2012, 15:18
Very nice, congrats!

rilkil23
05-10-2012, 15:30
Very nice. I will own a M&P series eventually. Seems like every post is about pocket this single stack that so it is good to see a good ole fashion whoopin stick. Enjoy.

TSAX
05-10-2012, 15:54
Congrats, I doubt its the new trigger in there but you can call S&W and ask. If its not, the APEX Sear is about $40. Enjoy

:50cal:

Nakanokalronin
05-10-2012, 16:08
Okay, I just talked to a S&W tech and he told me he has no idea of any changes with the M&P trigger group being made at all. I told him I've heard about the possibility of new trigger groups in the M&Ps to have a more positive reset and he once again, said that if anyone knew about it, they would since they are the techs/gunsmiths that are answering the phones.

He also told me they knew about the Shield a year before it was introduced so if anything about a new trigger group was in the works, they haven't heard about it so as of right now, no plans are in the works for any changes to the regular M&P line.

It's probably true but the reset and pull on my M&P can easily be detected, but not as much as the Shield. Either way, it feels pretty good IMHO but I'll let range time determine that for sure.

Just wanted to add that he also told me that they had 25,000 Shield ready to go when it was introduced and are now filling back orders. Magazines are also a little over $37 each which are on back order as well.

Glock40man
05-10-2012, 17:13
Congrats!:cool:

mixflip
05-10-2012, 17:34
I want that exact M&P but with the APEX upgrade so I can hear and feel the trigger reset. The trigger reset is HORRIBLE in the M&P. (I owned an M&P40) With the APEX upgrade its is in my opinion a Glock killer!!! lol (blasphemy I know I know...)

bac1023
05-10-2012, 17:41
Congrats! :cool:

Nakanokalronin
05-10-2012, 18:06
I want that exact M&P but with the APEX upgrade so I can hear and feel the trigger reset. The trigger reset is HORRIBLE in the M&P. (I owned an M&P40) With the APEX upgrade its is in my opinion a Glock killer!!! lol (blasphemy I know I know...)

That's why I'm wondering about this particular M&P. All I read about is how the reset and pull is horrible but this one is neither. The S&W tech told me no plans to change the M&P trigger so I'm not sure what to think.

I'll probably just end up getting the Apex hard sear and RAM once they come out with a thumb safety model, which they said should be soon.

Dan Glock
05-10-2012, 19:09
Beautiful gun!! So jealous but soon I'll get my M&P 9 Pro :-)

DonGlock26
05-10-2012, 20:39
I have a M&P 9mm FS. IT's a great pistol. The trigger gets better with use and lube. I don't have a problem with the reset.

_

Bigpoppie50
05-10-2012, 20:45
I've had my Full Size M&P9 about Three and one half years. It led to me getting a full Size M&P357Sig/40S&W for EDC. It is sitting on my Computer Table loaded with 16 + 1 rounds of Federal HST 124 grain JHPs and I type this post. It fits me great along with my other M&P.

mixflip
05-10-2012, 21:54
That's why I'm wondering about this particular M&P. All I read about is how the reset and pull is horrible but this one is neither. The S&W tech told me no plans to change the M&P trigger so I'm not sure what to think.

I'll probably just end up getting the Apex hard sear and RAM once they come out with a thumb safety model, which they said should be soon.

I take that back. The reset isnt horrible in the regular sense. Its just "not audible" nor can you "feel" the reset, both of which are very important shooting fundamentals.

Im 4 days into a firearms instructor class as we speak and all the guys with M&Ps are doing great regardless. Round count is past 1000 rounds in just a few days. (we all have sun burnt raccoon eyes and tired hands.lol)

cowboy1964
05-10-2012, 22:00
Yes the reset on the M&P is horrible in terms of feel (in terms of length it's perfect). But it really doesn't make much difference to me. I would like to try the Apex thing though soon.

I have the M&P 40 full size. I don't know any other gun where you can pick up a .357 Sig barrel for $78! (MidwayUsa)

Nakanokalronin
05-10-2012, 23:11
I'm going to shoot it stock this weekend and maybe give the Apex hard sear a try to see if it improves it even more so.

TxGlock9
05-11-2012, 01:47
Saw you post on the other forum. Good work.

glockdoc21
05-11-2012, 12:23
I always laugh at these M&P trigger posts. I have a M&P 9c and I love the gun. When I practice, I don't do some geriatric slow fire thing where I high five my range buddy when the trigger resets. When you're doing controlled pairs I never notice the reset. It's a great gun that has glock fanboys butthurt and the "mushy trigger reset" is low hanging fruit. I've had glocks and you could hear a loud "click" when it reset, but I was more focused on my rounds all hitting high then the orgasmic reset.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-11-2012, 12:40
Its being discussed on all the forums, and others have claimed that S&W reps have stated that the new trigger group will be coming. Many state they have been told that they are being made in May,a nd will hit shelves in JUne/July.

I will say that from personal experience, as an example - Beretta released the compact 92 model, and calls to Beretta ended up in denials by phone reps that such an animal was being currently sold by Beretta. Even after they had been out for weeks.

I've been into guns for a long time, and on many gun forums going back to 2004 or so. I've seen lots of similar stories. I've read enough to convince me that there is a new trigger coming. And, this is the only thing that interests me enough to NOW be interested in the fullsize M&Ps. I like the trigger on my Shield.

I don't know if I'll buy one, as I really have decided to take a break from gun buying. But a new trigger in the fullsize models would tempt me.

J_Rico
05-11-2012, 13:33
Congrats.

Got the FS M&P 9mm for Christmas and it is a great gun.

Seriously thinking of adding a Shield when the hoopla dies out.

ETA. I like the trigger on the FS M&P, just fine. Not sure what all the hate is about.

J_Rico
05-11-2012, 13:47
Oops. Double post.

TxGlock9
05-11-2012, 14:58
I always laugh at these M&P trigger posts. I have a M&P 9c and I love the gun. When I practice, I don't do some geriatric slow fire thing where I high five my range buddy when the trigger resets. When you're doing controlled pairs I never notice the reset. It's a great gun that has glock fanboys butthurt and the "mushy trigger reset" is low hanging fruit. I've had glocks and you could hear a loud "click" when it reset, but I was more focused on my rounds all hitting high then the orgasmic reset.
Definitely an awesome gun. However I never met anyone here that dissed the M&P. Even in the general glocking section.

Love mine though. Picked it up yesterday. Shot it today with perfect groups.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/kappaball/MyMP9.jpg

Beanie-Bean
05-11-2012, 15:26
Definitely an awesome gun. However I never met anyone here that dissed the M&P. Even in the general glocking section.

Love mine though. Picked it up yesterday. Shot it today with perfect groups.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/kappaball/MyMP9.jpg

Nice one, John! Looks like a lot of fun there!

TxGlock9
05-11-2012, 19:33
It's superb Mike. I carried it today too. Meanwhile after shooting I found that I locked my keys inside the car and had to pay $40 to pop-a-lock. Gay..
That $40 could've been 200rounds!!!!!!
Nice one, John! Looks like a lot of fun there!

Glock_your_world
05-11-2012, 21:35
Congrats. The M&P is what made me trade all my Glocks in. I like the M&P much better. I am not trying to star anything my Glocks worked flawlessly but I like the m&p better and it has flawless as well.

Cole125
05-11-2012, 21:52
Congrats! :thumbsup: Hopefully S&W gets their act together I have been waiting for the M&P 45 FS to be in stock for months now.

Wyoming
05-11-2012, 22:01
Very nice.:thumbsup:

Nakanokalronin
05-12-2012, 09:52
Thanks for the replies! I'll more than likely shoot my M&P tomorrow and post a report either Sun. night or Mon afternoon. I ordered an Apex hard sear just to see if it will improve anything at all. Might as well try it out since no one seems to have any negative remarks about their parts.

Rustin
05-12-2012, 15:42
Great gun. I like how nobody is dissing the m&p on the forum. If I go to the 1911 forum and even mention Glock you'll see the negative comments coming shortly after. All these guns are great and preference is really the deciding factor. I really like the FS M&P. I have to shoot one some more to see if it's worth buying. All I know right now is that I can shoot my G26 better than my brothers M&P 9c, so it makes me think a FS Glock is in my future rather than an M&P. You know, I really have to try one with the APEX upgrade though...

TxGlock9
05-12-2012, 16:04
Great gun. I like how nobody is dissing the m&p on the forum. If I go to the 1911 forum and even mention Glock you'll see the negative comments coming shortly after. All these guns are great and preference is really the deciding factor. I really like the FS M&P. I have to shoot one some more to see if it's worth buying. All I know right now is that I can shoot my G26 better than my brothers M&P 9c, so it makes me think a FS Glock is in my future rather than an M&P. You know, I really have to try one with the APEX upgrade though...

There was a point where I could shoot the M&P better than the glock. Then later on the glock better than the M&P. Was confused for a little bit till I thought about it and it all comes down to adapting to the gun you're shooting. That's my personal opinion.

Upon shooting more and more with both brands I find that with the M&P I have to try less. Again this is my preference. Some shooters will shoot better with a glock, and others with a M&P.

In the end having the freedom to buy what you want is the best thing. Thank God we live in a Gun nation.

blastfact
05-13-2012, 12:23
I like my two M&P's. Now if Smith would make a M&P in 10mm.

TSAX
05-13-2012, 12:35

This would be really interesting, I think it would be a success and a good challenge to the G20, also a XD/XDM in 10mm would be interesting as well.

TxGlock9
05-13-2012, 15:36

Plus One Million.

ftw13
05-13-2012, 20:38
M&Ps are one fine American handgun.enjoy

Nakanokalronin
05-14-2012, 18:04
I shot it yesterday and am very pleased with it's performance. First off, although the 9mm round has little recoil to begin with, it has a much softer recoil signature than the Glocks & XDs I used to own and even the Beretta 92s I currently own.

I could barely tell the difference between the standard ball and +P ammo I shot through it. Ammo shot consisted of PDX-1 124gr.+P, HST 124gr.+P, Gold Dot 147gr., Generic Winchester 115gr. HP ammo and 100rds each of Winchester & Federal 115gr. ball. Total rounds shot: 300 trouble free rounds.

Accuracy was pretty good as was the trigger. Shooting high thumbs with my right hand thumb on top of the safety was a nice change from the other poly guns I owned and felt more like I was shooting a 1911. The grip has plenty of texture with no slippage in the hand. Inserting and ejecting mags was smooth and easy.

Now after I got home from the range, I noticed the Apex hard sear I ordered in my mail box. I cleaned it all up and decided to put in the sear to see what the big deal was. Well.....lighter pull but not to light, smoother pull, breaking point is closer to the frame and trigger reset is even more noticeable by feel and sound. I gotta say, that sear alone does wonders. Now I need to take it out again to see what it can do.

Rustin
05-14-2012, 20:59
Look forward to that update.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 03:20
IWell.....lighter pull but not to light, smoother pull, breaking point is closer to the frame and trigger reset is even more noticeable by feel and sound. I gotta say, that sear alone does wonders. Now I need to take it out again to see what it can do.

I have been preaching this for a long time. Glad you like it, hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do. That sear drop in makes rate the M&P 9 and 9c just a tad below my Glock pair and higher than the XD/XDM pair. Without the Apex, I doubt Id be as high on the M&P.

Gary1911A1
05-15-2012, 08:53
I shot it yesterday and am very pleased with it's performance. First off, although the 9mm round has little recoil to begin with, it has a much softer recoil signature than the Glocks & XDs I used to own and even the Beretta 92s I currently own.

I could barely tell the difference between the standard ball and +P ammo I shot through it. Ammo shot consisted of PDX-1 124gr.+P, HST 124gr.+P, Gold Dot 147gr., Generic Winchester 115gr. HP ammo and 100rds each of Winchester & Federal 115gr. ball. Total rounds shot: 300 trouble free rounds.

Accuracy was pretty good as was the trigger. Shooting high thumbs with my right hand thumb on top of the safety was a nice change from the other poly guns I owned and felt more like I was shooting a 1911. The grip has plenty of texture with no slippage in the hand. Inserting and ejecting mags was smooth and easy.

Now after I got home from the range, I noticed the Apex hard sear I ordered in my mail box. I cleaned it all up and decided to put in the sear to see what the big deal was. Well.....lighter pull but not to light, smoother pull, breaking point is closer to the frame and trigger reset is even more noticeable by feel and sound. I gotta say, that sear alone does wonders. Now I need to take it out again to see what it can do.

Nice to read of another pleasant experience with the M&P9s'. I have a plain one on order with thumb safeties which I hope is as good as my M&P45. I have read on other forums that the 9MM ones are not very accurate beyond 15 yards due to early unlocking. Hope mine doesn't have that problem.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 14:32
Nice to read of another pleasant experience with the M&P9s'. I have a plain one on order with thumb safeties which I hope is as good as my M&P45. I have read on other forums that the 9MM ones are not very accurate beyond 15 yards due to early unlocking. Hope mine doesn't have that problem.

Was that on the older FS 9mm models or was there any change during production? I did some Google searching and came up with people putting the Wolf guide rod and 20# recoil spring in to compensate. I'm just not sure how old that issue is, if S&W was informed and if they fix it at some point.

Gary1911A1
05-15-2012, 15:22
Was that on the older FS 9mm models or was there any change during production? I did some Google searching and came up with people putting the Wolf guide rod and 20# recoil spring in to compensate. I'm just not sure how old that issue is, if S&W was informed and if they fix it at some point.

I got the feeling it's an ongoing problem with the 9MMs'. Here's a link to a discussion on another forum about the issue and a solution. Hopefully S&W will redesign their 9MM barrels so this won't be an issue in the future. I do have a M&P9 with thumb safeties on order so hopefully when it comes in these issues will be resolved.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104659

TxGlock9
05-15-2012, 15:24
Was that on the older FS 9mm models or was there any change during production? I did some Google searching and came up with people putting the Wolf guide rod and 20# recoil spring in to compensate. I'm just not sure how old that issue is, if S&W was informed and if they fix it at some point.I've been reading the other forums as well. From M&P-pistol to pistol-forum.com. Even Randy from apex has confirmed it's an ongoing problem. Note that NOT all M&P9 will have problems. Some are more exacerbated then others. The problem still current.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 17:13
So without going into a different barrel, has anyone had success in just using a heavier recoil spring?

Gary1911A1
05-15-2012, 17:25
So without going into a different barrel, has anyone had success in just using a heavier recoil spring?

I don't recall any posts about anyone trying a heavier barrel, but I would be concerned over reliability problems messing with the timing of the slide. Hilton has noted accuracy seems improved with 147gr. ammo. I hope your M&P9 and mine don't have this problem. With Apex Trigger parts I'm about ready to move from Glock to M&P.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 17:33
I don't recall any posts about anyone trying a heavier barrel, but I would be concerned over reliability problems messing with the timing of the slide. Hilton has noted accuracy seems improved with 147gr. ammo. I hope your M&P9 and mine don't have this problem. With Apex Trigger parts I'm about ready to move from Glock to M&P.

Mine really hasn't exhibited any accuracy issues except a flier or two. I think it might have been more about the trigger than anything else. The Apex sear does quite a bit by itself after dry firing and racking the slide to feel the improved reset and smoother trigger that breaks closer towards the frame. I honestly see no need for any of the other Apex parts unless I was going to use it for competition.

The most accurate ammo in my first range trip was 124gr. +P PDX-1. It kind of surprised me since it seems less accurate in my other 9mm pistols. Again, I think the fliers are from the trigger. I'll make sure to start another thread or add to this one after my second trip shooting / first trip with the Apex sear.

TxGlock9
05-15-2012, 17:44
Next time bench test it to 25 yards. That way u can eliminate most human error. That is the range where the problem will be obvious if in fact u have it.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 17:49
Next time bench test it to 25 yards. That way u can eliminate most human error. That is the range where the problem will be obvious if in fact u have it.

I was going to bench it but my local range is kind of crammed. From the pod to the wall behind you is no more than 3-4 feet. If I put a chair down to bench something, it takes up enough room where people can barely get by and the day I went, it was packed. I'll try to swing by after work one of these days so it's empty enough for me to do this.

Rustin
05-15-2012, 18:03
I can't believe Smith hasn't fixed this damned 9mm problem. It happened because they had to redesign the compact model bbl and it screwed something up with the FS models. They need to get this fixed and then put out new models and triggers. If they could just get it together they might have a chance at being the Glock killer.

TxGlock9
05-15-2012, 18:16
I can't believe Smith hasn't fixed this damned 9mm problem. It happened because they had to redesign the compact model bbl and it screwed something up with the FS models. They need to get this fixed and then put out new models and triggers. If they could just get it together they might have a chance at being the Glock killer.

That is what I have read too. The compacts don't have the problem and the barrel lock up is tighter on it. The fullsize however suffered because of this change. Note again that not all 9mm suffer as much as others will.

I'll be bench testing both full and compact @ 25yards this week and report back the results.

pennlineman
05-15-2012, 18:29
Nice new S&W, congrats!

carloglock19
05-15-2012, 18:33
I've had my M&P .357sig for a little bit now and have shot it with no problems or malfunctions to report (born date '08), the trigger is fine for me but maybe I don't know any better. I do have to admit that my G23 and M&P .357sig have taken a back seat to my P30 for polymer carry....but I would holster any of them and walk out of the house feeling confident in their function and reliability.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

donovan655
05-16-2012, 05:25
Joined the M&P party this past weekend also.

150 rds out of the box, dripping wet with oil, no issues. Accuracy as good as or better than my PX4 which is impressive.