Toy gun permit in Australia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Toy gun permit in Australia

Nestor
05-10-2012, 16:07
You need the permit to own the prohibited imitation firearms in Australia. I just found this on the Canadian gun forum and I still can't believe that it's real.
What would You say?
BS or not?
In order to obtain the permit to own Magatron Transformer toy you will also need to satisfy minimum safe storage requirements, such as:
+ A lockable display unit for the gunformer(s).
+ Locks on doors and windows in the room where the gunformer(s) is/are stored.
+ Bars on windows of said room if it is on the ground floor. Upstairs rooms are exempt from this requirement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Admon/megatronpermit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Admon/megatronpermitt.jpg

This is the toy in question BTW:

http://www.xybertoys.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=700

melensdad
05-10-2012, 16:33
That is simply insane.

I wonder if you need a license for a toy bow & arrow too?

4TS&W
05-10-2012, 16:42
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! That is piss yourself funny right there!!! Kids will be jailed for building a "pistol" out of legos! Awesome.... what kind of dip**** nitwits do they have running the show down there anyway??? Our dip****s would love to do this too, but so far we don't let them.

Angry Fist
05-10-2012, 16:50
Sucks to not be an American, I'm sure....

oldman11
05-10-2012, 17:12
A few years ago, their government told the citizens that their new anti gun law would benefit them. The police would protect them, etc. Well they fell for it and the commie government took all their guns. They are so afraid of their citizens that they have to have a permit for plastic toys and toy guns. The citizens aren't happy with the anti gun laws, but they don't have the rights that we do and cannot vote it out.

Rally Vincent
05-10-2012, 18:51
Disgusting.

Billspider
05-10-2012, 19:15
My wife was planning a trip to Australia, I took a look at their gun laws and said I'd rather spend my money here in the USA. I thought Aussies were strong and independent thinkers, I quess not. I watched too many Foster beer commercials.
Put a gun on the barbie mate lol

WiskyT
05-10-2012, 19:16
A bar of soap and some shoe polish require a 10 day waiting period I'm sure.

bac1023
05-10-2012, 20:49
That's ridiculous :faint:

bac1023
05-10-2012, 20:49
Sucks to not be an American, I'm sure....

:agree:

The_Gun_Guru
05-10-2012, 20:51
Australia is a joke.:wavey:

Sad, but true.

I would LOVE to see our government try that crap here:rofl:

Can you imagine?:wow:

TGG

WoodenPlank
05-10-2012, 20:58
Australia is a joke.:wavey:

Sad, but true.

I would LOVE to see our government try that crap here:rofl:

Can you imagine?:wow:

TGG

California is trying to also ban any realistic looking fake guns, including airsoft, by requiring them to be made from bright colors and/or clear plastic. I believe its current incarnation is SB1315 in California.

djm
05-10-2012, 21:45
that's why I took up fishing when I'am there

jp3975
05-11-2012, 00:50
A few years ago, their government told the citizens that their new anti gun law would benefit them. The police would protect them, etc. Well they fell for it and the commie government took all their guns. They are so afraid of their citizens that they have to have a permit for plastic toys and toy guns. The citizens aren't happy with the anti gun laws, but they don't have the rights that we do and cannot vote it out.

They can still acquire guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

SigFTW
05-11-2012, 06:42
That crazy! Is America the only one left with the right to own guns??

jp3975
05-11-2012, 09:54
That crazy! Is America is the only one left with the right to own guns??

No. You can have guns in lots of countries.

PEC-Memphis
05-11-2012, 09:56
They can still acquire guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

You need a "genuine reason" to be issued a "permit to acquire" a Category A "Firearm", eg. paintball gun.

A "Category C" firearm is heavily restricted to "only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters", eg. Ruger 10/22

Category H:This class is available to target shooters. To be eligible for a Category H firearm a target shooter must serve a probationary period of six months using club handguns, and a minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun. eg. Crossman air pistol or the aforementioned "transformer" pistol.

AMSting
05-11-2012, 10:44
I spend a few months in Sydney a couple years ago. It was a hot day and we had the windows rolled down. I propped my arm on the window and my Aussie driver told me that was illegal. You cannot hang your arm out the open window of a vehicle in New South Wales. After that, nothing about Australia surprises me.

Rustin
05-11-2012, 12:02
What a sh***y country. You suck Australia!

And the same goes for you, Britain.

Nestor
05-11-2012, 12:45
Ok, so it seems that it's not BS. It's for real.
Mind blowing really.
Here is the letter from the local police department in Australia with the explanation to the client thinking about buying a replica of the firearm.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding replica firearms.

Firstly, please note that currently there are no legislative definition for 'replica' firearms. In Victoria, replica firearms are considered as being detailed, working copies of established firearms which can fire, or can be altered to fire. They are considered to be firearms and placed under the same licensing and registration system as real firearms. They are subject to licensing, registration and storage requirement provisions of the Firearms Act 1996 (the Act).

If a firearm has the appearance of an operable firearm, but cannot fire and cannot be altered to fire, it is considered to be an imitation firearm. In Victoria, imitation longarms can be owned with a lawful excuse and imitation handguns are treated in the same manner as operable firearms (i.e. they must be registered and can only be held under a Category 2 Firearms Collectors licence. To be eligible for a Category 2 licence you must first obtain a category 1 licence and maintain the licence for a minimum of 2 years with a minimum of 11 firearms held under that licence).

As of 1 July 2011, due to legislative change, imitation firearms (both longarms and handguns) will be classified as ‘Prohibited Weapons’. Prohibited weapons will only be able to be possessed, carried, used, sold, purchased and/or imported with a Chief Commissioner Approval or a Governor in Council Exemption Order. Registration requirements do not apply to prohibited weapons.

If you have any further queries, please contact Licensing Services Division at licensingservices@police.vic.gov.au or 1300 651 645.

Regards,

Licensing Services Division

Nestor
05-11-2012, 12:54
Well, I just found that You need similar replica permit in New York City. It's called NYC Theatrical Weapons Permit.

raven11
05-11-2012, 14:52
and people think Illinois have rough gun laws

mr00jimbo
05-11-2012, 16:25
That's awful. But don't think just because you're in the USA that you're exempt from BS gun laws. I mean, what's up with regulating a SBR??? How is that more inherently dangerous?

Australians have to me always been cool and down to earth, but people unfortunately get screwed by their own gov in every country.

There are laws in Canada, and the US, that are so Orwellian that it's scary to think about. So everybody has to be vigilant about voting and keeping open channels of communication with their representatives.

A town in Eastern Canada has a registry of every type of gun that can fire a projectile - which, funny enough, includes Nerf and airsoft guns.

DonD
05-11-2012, 18:34
California is trying to also ban any realistic looking fake guns, including airsoft, by requiring them to be made from bright colors and/or clear plastic. I believe its current incarnation is SB1315 in California.

I am a firm believer in gun rights but have you really thought about that comment?

A couple of teenagers have been shot and at least one killed in Albuquerque, NM because they pointed black toy M-16s at officers that were answering calls and found them in a dark alley.

Having a toy that looks like the real thing isn't worth kids dying for it. Of course, the biggest problem is lack of parental supervision but expecting that to improve is a pipe dream.

Don't say the officer's shouldn't have shot, they have virtually no time to make a decision and the wrong one may kill them. The officers were not indicted. Don

motorcyclist
05-12-2012, 06:28
Having a toy that looks like the real thing isn't worth kids dying for it. Of course, the biggest problem is lack of parental supervision but expecting that to improve is a pipe dream.

Your first point is the same reasoning anti-gun people use...blame an inanimate object for a situation people have placed it in. Your second point is the one nobody wants to address.

cherokee5425
05-12-2012, 13:17
There is only ONE Universal Truth: People get the Goverment they DESERVE!!!!!!!!!!
I have Absolutly NO compassion or sympathy for Idiots. Be they be from down under or in our own Kalifornia or anywhere else people allow their Goverments to Enslave them.

Nestor
05-12-2012, 15:09
There is only ONE Universal Truth: People get the Goverment they DESERVE!!!!!!!!!!
I have Absolutly NO compassion or sympathy for Idiots. Be they be from down under or in our own Kalifornia or anywhere else people allow their Goverments to Enslave them.

Very true, yet for some reason I'm thinking Patriot Act now.
Lot of us here are on the same road to where Australia is now.

Davegrave
05-12-2012, 15:28
Why is the topic of this thread staying with how crappy Australia is, instead of taking the logical next step and becoming a thread about how amazingly awesome that Megatron toy is?

Eric needs to get his hands on a truck load of those and start including them with Platinum memberships. :supergrin:

Nestor
05-12-2012, 15:31
Why is the topic of this thread staying with how crappy Australia is, instead of taking the logical next step and becoming a thread about how amazingly awesome that Megatron toy is?

Eric needs to get his hands on a truck load of those and start including them with Platinum memberships. :supergrin:

Hey Dave,
would You like to know how great Megatron is?
Take a look at this review....strange to say at least :whistling:

G1 Megatron Transformer Review - YouTube

TalkToTheGlock
05-12-2012, 16:39
A guy I graduated college with recently moved to Sidney. What a mistake. He could have saved money and moved to Cali if he wanted communism.

Markasaurus
05-12-2012, 22:43
In Australia cops can come in your house. FOR NO REASON. You can have down under!

The_Gun_Guru
05-12-2012, 23:06

California SUCKS too!

What a sh***y country. You suck Australia!

And the same goes for you, Britain.

AMEN!!!!!

Well, I just found that You need similar replica permit in New York City. It's called NYC Theatrical Weapons Permit.

New York SUCKS too! Of course, I am a native Floridian, so I have ALWAYS hated NY'ers!!!!!!

YANKEES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

So true! If you can't or won't fight for your rights (Cubans, PAY ATTENTION here), then you don't deserve to be free!!!!!

In Australia cops can come in your house. FOR NO REASON. You can have down under!

I would love to see that happen here. I have a surprise for them!:whistling:

Very true, yet for some reason I'm thinking Patriot Act now.
Lot of us here are on the same road to where Australia is now.

It will never happen because I will fire the FIRST SHOT!

Bring it on commies!!!!!!!!!

TGG

MarcDW
05-13-2012, 05:12
If I ever decide to become a criminal and make my living of robbing, burglaries and heck why not a few rapes; I would move to the UK or AUS.
You can't beat the work friendly and work safety conditions of these countries for criminals.
On top their penal system offers low sentences and early parol.
This is only toped by a nice social welfare, retirement system and basically free health care.

Schrag4
05-13-2012, 08:49

While this scenario is tragic, it's also extremely rare, and as you point out, it's preventable. I do not think these sorts of regulations "are worth it if just one chlid's life is saved," as someone who acts on their emotions might put it. That very line of thinking is what leads to these total nanny states. Don't you have to be 18 years old to buy nerf guns and butter knives in the UK? Do you really think laws like those are good for society? I don't. I think emphasizing personal responsibility and asking that people think for themselves is a proactive (good) solution while nanny state legislation is reactive (bad) in nature.

jp3975
05-14-2012, 02:00
You need a "genuine reason" to be issued a "permit to acquire" a Category A "Firearm", eg. paintball gun.

A "Category C" firearm is heavily restricted to "only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters", eg. Ruger 10/22

Category H:This class is available to target shooters. To be eligible for a Category H firearm a target shooter must serve a probationary period of six months using club handguns, and a minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun. eg. Crossman air pistol or the aforementioned "transformer" pistol.

A genuine reason includes collecting and target shooting.

Someone said they took all of their gun rights and no one has guns there. I simply pointed out that it wasnt true.

You left out the part about category H including normal pistols like we have here, but with 10 round limits.

I am a firm believer in gun rights but have you really thought about that comment?

A couple of teenagers have been shot and at least one killed in Albuquerque, NM because they pointed black toy M-16s at officers that were answering calls and found them in a dark alley.

Don't say the officer's shouldn't have shot, they have virtually no time to make a decision and the wrong one may kill them. The officers were not indicted. Don

Well...how stupid do you have to be to point a gun, real or a toy at cops[or even regular strangers]? Sounds like a Darwin award to me.

CitizenOfDreams
05-14-2012, 06:19
I spend a few months in Sydney a couple years ago. It was a hot day and we had the windows rolled down.

Air conditioners are illegal there too? :shocked:

DonD
05-14-2012, 07:47
While this scenario is tragic, it's also extremely rare, and as you point out, it's preventable. I do not think these sorts of regulations "are worth it if just one chlid's life is saved," as someone who acts on their emotions might put it. That very line of thinking is what leads to these total nanny states. Don't you have to be 18 years old to buy nerf guns and butter knives in the UK? Do you really think laws like those are good for society? I don't. I think emphasizing personal responsibility and asking that people think for themselves is a proactive (good) solution while nanny state legislation is reactive (bad) in nature.

I certainly see your point and perhaps I'm over the line on my remarks. I do highly value individual responsibility, something that is in increasingly short supply. Normally I have no use for the attitude of "if just one life can be saved". In my case, I resent safety Nazis mandating rear view cameras on cars. I guess I just don't have much concern for toy guns. Don

PEC-Memphis
05-14-2012, 08:40
A genuine reason includes collecting and target shooting.

Someone said they took all of their gun rights and no one has guns there. I simply pointed out that it wasn't true.

You left out the part about category H including normal pistols like we have here, but with 10 round limits.

Yes Cat H includes "normal handguns" limited to 10 rounds. But is also includes toy guns, inoperable replicas, and air guns. You have to have a 6 month probationary period, join a club, show a "genuine reason" etc. to own a BB pistol or transformer toy? Government regulation gone wild. In England, a store wouldn't sell a pizza cutter to a adult who had a minor with them for fear of government penalty (as I understand, the sale of knives to adults is legal - but not to minors.)

I agree with you in addressing the mis-information in an earlier post - and I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I was merely pointing out the how restrictive (ridiculous by USA standards) gun ownership in AUS now.

Yes Cat A "genuine reason" can be target shooting /collecting. However, for most (all ?) of the other categories require you to show (prove?) why Cat A isn't sufficient for your needs.

Drain You
05-14-2012, 15:00

So when does Glock start making guns in clear plastic? That would be awesome.

jeanderson
05-14-2012, 15:31
Damn. Scratch Australia off my list of places to go if BO gets re-elected.

wjv
05-14-2012, 16:45

In a dark alley, making a judgement in 1/10 of a second, I have to wonder if the cops would have been able to tell the difference, even if the entire gun was neon orange. . .

RHVEtte
05-14-2012, 18:12
In a dark alley, making a judgement in 1/10 of a second, I have to wonder if the cops would have been able to tell the difference, even if the entire gun was neon orange. . .

IIRC, there was a Newsweek article, one of the few decent ones, that covered this. The author did a Simunition course that a police department used to train cops on item recognition. It had pop-up targets that were holding a variety of things: real guns, fake guns, cell phones, etc. If it was a real gun and you didn't shoot them in time, a light and buzzer went off to tell you that you got shot. Obviously you lost points if you shot an unarmed person.

The net result of the whole experiment was that the author failed miserably. It's too hard to identify whether it's real or not in time to act with 100% certainty and not get shot.

PEC-Memphis
05-14-2012, 18:32

And of course there are some people who paint firearms to resemble toys.

PersonOfInterest
05-15-2012, 05:43
Wow really? ok - which state is that? what law is that under? dont suppose you can quote the Act or bill thats under? the year it was brought in and gazetted in parliment? any amendments that where ever made to it?
hmmm no guess you cant - for the simple fact what you said is not true.

Bashing Australians on this site is nothing new - im used to hearing it all blah blah blah :whistling:

Replicas or toy guns or whatever your talking about dont really mean all that much to me, ive lived here all my life and ive been shooting handguns since i was a kid and i still do on a regular basis - yeah our laws may suck but i have been to the US - i couldnt live there, just didnt do it for me - too many damn people and some places do have some down right ridiculous laws.

carbuncle
05-15-2012, 08:52
Damn, I love the USA.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

WiskyT
05-15-2012, 14:27
Wow really? ok - which state is that? what law is that under? dont suppose you can quote the Act or bill thats under? the year it was brought in and gazetted in parliment? any amendments that where ever made to it?
hmmm no guess you cant - for the simple fact what you said is not true.

Bashing Australians on this site is nothing new - im used to hearing it all blah blah blah :whistling:

Replicas or toy guns or whatever your talking about dont really mean all that much to me, ive lived here all my life and ive been shooting handguns since i was a kid and i still do on a regular basis - yeah our laws may suck but i have been to the US - i couldnt live there, just didnt do it for me - too many damn people and some places do have some down right ridiculous laws.

I was waiting for you to find this thread. You won't read any Aussie bashing from me. I hate Europe, Western Europe anyway. Eastern Europe seems to be doing the right thing regarding Freedom. Australia IS NOT Western Europe!

Australia has represented itself disproportionately in war time considering it's relatively small population. Unlike some cheese eaters etc they Aussie troops served in an actual military capacity in the War on Terror.

I once helped a young lady from Adelaide who was stranded getting to a location that was nearby due to her plane getting in late and public transportation being shut down for the night. Her parents wrote a letter to my Chief AND the local newspaper. I have no gripes about Australians.

As for screwy laws, has anyone checked out our "health care law", or our "president"?

Nestor
05-15-2012, 14:41
...and who exactly has any gripe with the Australians here?
It's just a perfect example of what may happen if the good men do nothing. Being Canadian and watching what's going on with our own long gun registry I'm quite interested in such examples.
I can see the same liberal idiocy here and it's quite scary at times...

PersonOfInterest
05-16-2012, 05:09
I was waiting for you to find this thread. You won't read any Aussie bashing from me. I hate Europe, Western Europe anyway. Eastern Europe seems to be doing the right thing regarding Freedom. Australia IS NOT Western Europe!

Australia has represented itself disproportionately in war time considering it's relatively small population. Unlike some cheese eaters etc they Aussie troops served in an actual military capacity in the War on Terror.

I once helped a young lady from Adelaide who was stranded getting to a location that was nearby due to her plane getting in late and public transportation being shut down for the night. Her parents wrote a letter to my Chief AND the local newspaper. I have no gripes about Australians.

As for screwy laws, has anyone checked out our "health care law", or our "president"?

Well thanks i do appriciate the kind words, now as ive said ive been to America - i do like the place, i do have to admit i did find most places just very congested - the main reason i couldnt live there. That being said there is alot there i do/did like, i found alot of people there i got along great with and who were very friendly - its a shame this forum seems to bring out the worst in people - im guessing youve noticed this, ive never heard people over there in real life come out with the crap im reading in this thread.

When ive been to the US and been to gun shows or anything else firearm related ive NEVER heard comments like the 1st one here i decided to quote - or any of the other rubbish hate filled crap in this thread, once they work out im Aussie from the accent or due to the fact i tell them where im from after im asked they tend to be interested in the laws here or what i shoot etc which usually leads to a good friendly conversation -

Why is it i wonder why so many people on here wait to unleash a whole tirade of hate as soon as they see someone from Australia or anywhere else that has strict gun control? BTW i am not directing this at you in particular just including this in my reply to everyone reading
Why? and why have i never experienced it in person? ive met plenty of people over there involved with firearms - never once have i experienced what i read on here.

Good on you though for helping that girl from Adelaide - your a good Egg, ive done similair things to help Americans here.

And yes i agree on some laws in the US - as with every country - but thats life, take the good with the bad.

PersonOfInterest
05-16-2012, 05:57
...and who exactly has any gripe with the Australians here?
It's just a perfect example of what may happen if the good men do nothing. Being Canadian and watching what's going on with our own long gun registry I'm quite interested in such examples.
I can see the same liberal idiocy here and it's quite scary at times...
Well im not saying you have a gripe with Australians - but as youve seen theres no shortage of American gun owners that come on these forums who really hate Aussies, now as for good men doing nothing well ultimately theres only so much good people can do.

In the state i live we hold 10% of state parliment - thats 10% of politicians specifically dedicated to making shooters and gun owners get a better deal and we have made some good differences.
Biggest problems weve had in the past was a CONSERVATIVE federal government - yes thats right not a left leaning government but one with similair ideals to the Republican government in the US, matter of fact there first policy to be introduced in 1996 meant the banning of semi auto long guns and registration of all long guns - this was forced upon all state governments who ultimately decide each states laws here - the man at the head of this was a prime minister called John Howard (wiki him if you like - i hate the prick) he was in fact a good friend of George W Bush.
Since his voting out in 07 weve had very little problems in this country with firearm laws - although the legacy he left behind has made life for us very hard.

Thats just some back ground info for you seeing as you seem to have an interest in how things develop.

Quite the opposite of doing nothing - weve done alot but its a hard fight, good thing is our numbers grow strong in each state everyday - hearts and minds.

MarcDW
05-16-2012, 05:58
...America - i do like the place, i do have to admit i did find most places just very congested - the main reason i couldnt live there. ...

There are plenty of places in the US where you see nobody if you don't want to.
The people I met from AUS where all nice people with this "certain humor".
One boring night I thought I found my OUI, when a car pulled out of a fuel station and drove down the road on the left side.
Once I caught up it swerved back to the right.
Turned out it was a girl from AUS who was working in one of these camps we have here in Maine where parents unload their kids for the summer.
Well, no OUI; she forgot for a moment that she wasn't home.
She then insisted her friend taking a picture with me.
There are properly comedy posters all over AUS by now making fun of a Maine cop?? :shocked:

Nestor
05-16-2012, 13:27
Well im not saying you have a gripe with Australians - but as youve seen theres no shortage of American gun owners that come on these forums who really hate Aussies, now as for good men doing nothing well ultimately theres only so much good people can do.

In the state i live we hold 10% of state parliment - thats 10% of politicians specifically dedicated to making shooters and gun owners get a better deal and we have made some good differences.
Biggest problems weve had in the past was a CONSERVATIVE federal government - yes thats right not a left leaning government but one with similair ideals to the Republican government in the US, matter of fact there first policy to be introduced in 1996 meant the banning of semi auto long guns and registration of all long guns - this was forced upon all state governments who ultimately decide each states laws here - the man at the head of this was a prime minister called John Howard (wiki him if you like - i hate the prick) he was in fact a good friend of George W Bush.
Since his voting out in 07 weve had very little problems in this country with firearm laws - although the legacy he left behind has made life for us very hard.

Thats just some back ground info for you seeing as you seem to have an interest in how things develop.

Quite the opposite of doing nothing - weve done alot but its a hard fight, good thing is our numbers grow strong in each state everyday - hearts and minds.

Thank You for that Sir. Strong criticism coming from our American Friends is nothing new to me. Being Canadian I get used to it as well. I pointed out this example of total liberal stupidity to keep people a bit more vigilant about the things that are changing around...sometimes slowly, sometimes not so slowly. I'm very sorry to hear that your conservatives leaders in the past were actually liberal. I can relate to such situation while watching what had happened with our own long gun registry. It was erased by the federal government, but liberal judges, liberal police officers and liberal politicians (often wearing conservative colors) are opposing this law. It's actually the very best moment for us to recognize who is who on our own political scene. Good luck to You.

countrygun
05-16-2012, 13:48
It is rather "out of touch" to bash the Australians and crow about how good we have it here. The Australians are experiencing the results of increased urbanization and the effects it has on the political system.

Many of us realize, for instance, how screwy the Laws in Kommiefornia are, but we still shine it on as if it were an just some sort of anomaly. It is not. I live rather close to the border of CA and every year we hear tourists absolutely shocked at seeing guns in rifle racks of our rural vehicles. Many of them are not gun oriented and are shocked when they come into our local sporting goods store for fishing gear. They see guns they don't see at "home" and they see people BUYING them. Remember these folks often move out of CA and retire, or move for work and they carry that attitude with them. It is the same for many other States as well. I just have more experience with CA, but I have known folks from Eastern urban cities who have spread the attitude.

Do not get too complacent about how good we have it, it can all change in one voting cycle, worse yet, it cany creep up in slow incriments. Don't blast the Aussies until you realize how it can happen here.

G26S239
05-16-2012, 15:41
When ive been to the US and been to gun shows or anything else firearm related ive NEVER heard comments like the 1st one here i decided to quote - or any of the other rubbish hate filled crap in this thread, once they work out im Aussie from the accent or due to the fact i tell them where im from after im asked they tend to be interested in the laws here or what i shoot etc which usually leads to a good friendly conversation -

Why is it i wonder why so many people on here wait to unleash a whole tirade of hate as soon as they see someone from Australia or anywhere else that has strict gun control? BTW i am not directing this at you in particular just including this in my reply to everyone reading
Why? and why have i never experienced it in person? ive met plenty of people over there involved with firearms - never once have i experienced what i read on here.
They like patting themselves on the back and feeling smug. Like they are PERSONALLY responsible for the laws in their state. On Saturday the 12th of May I was at an Aussie gun show in Brisbane and I had some discussions with people about firearms ownership. They are decent people living under bad laws.

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 02:37
There are plenty of places in the US where you see nobody if you don't want to.
The people I met from AUS where all nice people with this "certain humor".
One boring night I thought I found my OUI, when a car pulled out of a fuel station and drove down the road on the left side.
Once I caught up it swerved back to the right.
Turned out it was a girl from AUS who was working in one of these camps we have here in Maine where parents unload their kids for the summer.
Well, no OUI; she forgot for a moment that she wasn't home.
She then insisted her friend taking a picture with me.
There are properly comedy posters all over AUS by now making fun of a Maine cop?? :shocked:
Thats a great story :)
Ive never actually tried driving over there but ive known people whove done the same thing, they recruit here for those camps at universities - Maine and alot of the North East is somewhere id love to visit - and yeah i know theres lots of places there with low populations - but to be honest Australia is just something else - once your out of a city its actually can be hard to get used to how far away the rest of the world is.

Im sure that girl had some good stories to tell - i can assume you let her off? :rofl:

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 02:43
It is rather "out of touch" to bash the Australians and crow about how good we have it here. The Australians are experiencing the results of increased urbanization and the effects it has on the political system.

Many of us realize, for instance, how screwy the Laws in Kommiefornia are, but we still shine it on as if it were an just some sort of anomaly. It is not. I live rather close to the border of CA and every year we hear tourists absolutely shocked at seeing guns in rifle racks of our rural vehicles. Many of them are not gun oriented and are shocked when they come into our local sporting goods store for fishing gear. They see guns they don't see at "home" and they see people BUYING them. Remember these folks often move out of CA and retire, or move for work and they carry that attitude with them. It is the same for many other States as well. I just have more experience with CA, but I have known folks from Eastern urban cities who have spread the attitude.

Do not get too complacent about how good we have it, it can all change in one voting cycle, worse yet, it cany creep up in slow incriments. Don't blast the Aussies until you realize how it can happen here.

Yep all true and thanks for pointing it out.
All being said i still agree on how much you guys get your back up and stick up for the 2nd amendment, i often defend it over here and explain how important it is - very hard here seeing there is such a strong left leaning school of thought ripe in our cities - but ive always made my arguments rational and have gotten alot of people on side and agreeing with me.
Im glad to see good people on here such as yourself who end up seeing how much gun owners have in common - as opposed to the differences we have and expierence.

MarcDW
05-17-2012, 03:04
... i can assume you let her off? :rofl:

Yes, I let her go even if she had some other violations.
See, it's not the LEO to collect money in the US, we have to make sure things are within the law and safe. Matter a fact beside some few places in the US a LEO will never handle any money. Fines are paid to the court.
After our "talk" I was sure she would not forget.

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 03:50
Thank You for that Sir. Strong criticism coming from our American Friends is nothing new to me. Being Canadian I get used to it as well. I pointed out this example of total liberal stupidity to keep people a bit more vigilant about the things that are changing around...sometimes slowly, sometimes not so slowly. I'm very sorry to hear that your conservatives leaders in the past were actually liberal. I can relate to such situation while watching what had happened with our own long gun registry. It was erased by the federal government, but liberal judges, liberal police officers and liberal politicians (often wearing conservative colors) are opposing this law. It's actually the very best moment for us to recognize who is who on our own political scene. Good luck to You.

I have heard about the long gun registration being done away with in Canada - congrats thats great news. Always held Canada in high regard - although the cold would kill me i reckon itd be a great place to settle down.
Even here we have had a few small wins on the political scene - 1 good example is we have 8 different jurisdictions here - back in 1996 when we had some major changes made 1 of which was a 28 day waiting period to purchase a new firearm - now i think there maybe 3 out of 8 states left that enforce that law - the others dumped it. Thats just 1 example but we are slowly doing our best to change things.
Good luck to you too and congrats on the latest win.

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 03:57
Yes, I let her go even if she had some other violations.
See, it's not the LEO to collect money in the US, we have to make sure things are within the law and safe. Matter a fact beside some few places in the US a LEO will never handle any money. Fines are paid to the court.
After our "talk" I was sure she would not forget.

Glad she got off with a talking to, we have a system in place here where we have a department which handles all fines like that - ive had a few - but not in a long time.
I thought most of those camps where in CA - id have to say id pefer Maine or somewhere similair - just because CA has such a similair climate to where im from. :wavey:

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 04:05
They like patting themselves on the back and feeling smug. Like they are PERSONALLY responsible for the laws in their state. On Saturday the 12th of May I was at an Aussie gun show in Brisbane and I had some discussions with people about firearms ownership. They are decent people living under bad laws.

Yep and its a damn shame - as ive said alot of great people in the US real shame about the loud mouths on here, damn i havent been to a gun show in Brisbane since - 1994 maybe, i miss those days, i remember seeing guys buying new AR's and AK's and walking out the door with them - dont see that nowdays, hope your having a good time here.
Actually QLD (the state that Brisbane is in) has better laws than alot of other states here, good shops up there too always get good deals up there.

MarcDW
05-17-2012, 05:51
...I thought most of those camps where in CA ...

I guess those summer camps are all over the US.
Maine is considered "Vacationland" and it is specially in the summer beautiful here.
Not too hot, we hit around 90ºF/32ºC a little while with mostly below in the summer. While humidity is high in the summer, it's nothing like the south.
We have a lot of older people coming form Florida here for the summer, who have their 2nd home here.
Maine more then trebles it's population during the summer.
I like having real 4 seasons. That was one thing in CA I was missing.

PersonOfInterest
05-17-2012, 06:06
I guess those summer camps are all over the US.
Maine is considered "Vacationland" and it is specially in the summer beautiful here.
Not too hot, we hit around 90ºF/32ºC a little while with mostly below in the summer. While humidity is high in the summer, it's nothing like the south.
We have a lot of older people coming form Florida here for the summer, who have their 2nd home here.
Maine more then trebles it's population during the summer.
I like having real 4 seasons. That was one thing in CA I was missing.

Ok pretty interesting, i kept thinking it was near Mass and now i see the history there. Id heard about the fishing industry there too (cant remember where). Id go so far to say that people in the North East have alot in common with Aussies as far as telling people how it is and straight up honest attitudes go, even a few people compare our accents (i know that sounds strange) but i have heard certain words and phrases that actually do sound a little similair side by side - which is common with alot of those New England accents.

MarcDW
05-17-2012, 09:05
Yes, MASS is less then 30 minutes form Maine.
You just have to drive through New Hampshire on Interstate 95 (make sure you have your $2 toll handy) and you are there.
MASS is very restrictive with guns and MASS would like Maine and NH to increase our laws, because MASS residents come all the time to us buying illegally guns in private sales.
While a private sale is legal, it's however illegal to sell to a private person who is not from your state.
So since MASS resident violate laws in our state, MASS politicians want us to follow their lousy laws. Nice isn't it!
At the same time, people from MASS typically come up here and tell us how backward we are.
At the same time they often party, drink and do foolish things.
Anyway, the big fishing thing here is fly fishing of cause and then Maine is famous for the lobster or "lobsta" as the Mainer would say.

PersonOfInterest
05-18-2012, 02:53
Yes, MASS is less then 30 minutes form Maine.
You just have to drive through New Hampshire on Interstate 95 (make sure you have your $2 toll handy) and you are there.
MASS is very restrictive with guns and MASS would like Maine and NH to increase our laws, because MASS residents come all the time to us buying illegally guns in private sales.
While a private sale is legal, it's however illegal to sell to a private person who is not from your state.
So since MASS resident violate laws in our state, MASS politicians want us to follow their lousy laws. Nice isn't it!
At the same time, people from MASS typically come up here and tell us how backward we are.
At the same time they often party, drink and do foolish things.
Anyway, the big fishing thing here is fly fishing of cause and then Maine is famous for the lobster or "lobsta" as the Mainer would say.

Haha 'Lobsta' yep thats what i mean by the similarity of the accent :supergrin: thats exactly how an Aussie would say it.
Well its a place id love to check out - not just Mass and Maine but the whole North East, i think that whole gun migration thing is common everywhere - it was revealed just a couple of months ago that the better part of 200 glocks where bought legally in Germany and smuggled here in Australia by a gang, mind you they did this through the postal system.

Pretty old school system here they used here was buying up guns from factories in China and then used everything from fishing boats to light planes to bring them in.

If memory serves correct - could be way off here but isnt it the case in Mass where a pistol had to be made before a certain date to be legit? i may have read that wrong years ago but ah well hey if youve got an hour i can give you a long list of crappy laws, hope you guys stick to your guns though and theres no law changes - its the NH license plate that reads 'Live free or die'? awsome sentiment. :wavey:

MarcDW
05-18-2012, 04:23
In MASS the Attorney General found, that Glock was an unsafe product for civilians (funny that Boston PD and properly half of the LE in MASS carry Glock) and therefore Glock made after 1998 can't be directly sold to civilians in MASS.
The interesting thing about this is, that a LEO can buy any Glock (and as many) s/he wants and turn around and sell them to a civilian through the proper steps of cause.
Then magazines with more then 10 rounds, unless it's from 1998 or before, are also "unwanted".
However, you can find old magazines anywhere and put a new spring and follower in there.
Button line, it's all a big masquerade and not one crime was prevented from these laws.

Guns form Germany to AUS?? That is funny, since Germany has one of most restrictive gun laws in Europe.
I guess the only problematic part is the barrel and slide on a Glock.
The rest is light and easy to hide!

PersonOfInterest
05-18-2012, 04:48
In MASS the Attorney General found, that Glock was an unsafe product for civilians (funny that Boston PD and properly half of the LE in MASS carry Glock) and therefore Glock made after 1998 can't be directly sold to civilians in MASS.
The interesting thing about this is, that a LEO can buy any Glock (and as many) s/he wants and turn around and sell them to a civilian through the proper steps of cause.
Then magazines with more then 10 rounds, unless it's from 1998 or before, are also "unwanted".
However, you can find old magazines anywhere and put a new spring and follower in there.
Button line, it's all a big masquerade and not one crime was prevented from these laws.

Guns form Germany to AUS?? That is funny, since Germany has one of most restrictive gun laws in Europe.
I guess the only problematic part is the barrel and slide on a Glock.
The rest is light and easy to hide!

Ok yep i remembered the 1998 bit - thats some interesting laws - good to know theyll let you keep older mags though - not something were allowed to do here.
heres the link to those Glocks being smuggled in to Sydney
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/raids-smash-sydney-gun-running-ring/story-e6freuy9-1226298625034
well they were importing the whole guns - labelling them 'steel' 'plastic' and they had someone inside working at the postal service.

This is 1 case though they actually found out about - keep in mind thats 300 glocks they have a rough idea about as opposed to god knows how many others that get smuggled in here - and they keep on blaming legit shooters saying its out fault for having firearms in the community which leads to theft and a growing black market - blah blah.

I remember not so long ago in 1 state there was a few individuals actually producing top notch 1911's - no serial numbers - straight to the black market here, they were actually better quality than some race guns, i think that got shut down.
Bottom line as youve seen where theres a will - theres a way.

Our country is so damn big smuggling is easy they wont ever stop illegal guns here - just wish the legit shooters would be left alone, 1 good thing to come out of that above story is people are finally working out gun laws rarely stop criminals - oh hey anyone with half a brain worked that out years ago.

DonD
05-18-2012, 07:07
I don't have any issue with Australians or Canadians, they're good people. My issue and I would hope most who are critical of Aussies and Canadians have a similar view, is that they've been more severely affected by dysfunctional politicians than we have.

Politicians aren't a cure for problems in most cases they ARE the problem.

We'd be just as bad as the UK if the Obozo, Schumer, Lautenberg, Holder, Slimestain et all had their way. Don

Paul53
05-18-2012, 20:38
Number 1 cause of head injuries in Australia is people trying to throw away unwanted boomerangs.

djm
05-18-2012, 21:57
Number 1 cause of head injuries in Australia is people trying to throw away unwanted boomerangs.
Very Good

PEC-Memphis
05-21-2012, 10:10
We'd be just as bad as the UK if the Obozo, Schumer, Lautenberg, Holder, Slimestain et all had their way. Don

I don't think so.....

..... it would be worse.

DonD
05-21-2012, 15:50
I don't think so.....

..... it would be worse.

Unfortunately, you could be right. Don