Why is there something rather than nothing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why is there something rather than nothing?

Gunhaver
05-10-2012, 20:54
Because nobody is around to ask the question until there is something and has been something for quite some time.

Seems simple enough. :dunno:

Kingarthurhk
05-10-2012, 21:00
Because nobody is around to ask the question until there is something and has been something for quite some time.

Seems simple enough. :dunno:

There is something, because it was created. You were created with a mind and free will. That is why you are able to ask the question.

Animal Mother
05-10-2012, 22:43
There is something, because it was created. You were created with a mind and free will. That is why you are able to ask the question.I'm sure we all await your evidence of this. And please, actual words, not 3 more hours of tangentially related videos if you don't mind.

TKM
05-10-2012, 23:04
There is only something here.

In a parallel universe, who knows? :dunno:

juggy4711
05-10-2012, 23:21
Why is there something rather than nothing

Because chances are there would be.

jay-bird
05-10-2012, 23:36
Life is just a lie... With an f in it. And death is definite.

Kingarthurhk
05-11-2012, 04:49
I'm sure we all await your evidence of this. And please, actual words, not 3 more hours of tangentially related videos if you don't mind.

I really don't see a point. When presented with facts and evidence, if it displeases the Atheists here, it is rejected for the sake of rejecting it.

GreenDrake
05-11-2012, 05:08
Facts and evidence reliant on snake oil salesmen presenting unproven mythological anecdotes and biblical references from tall tales made up thousands of years ago?

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 05:20
I really don't see a point. The point is to support your claim.
When presented with facts and evidence, if it displeases the Atheists here, it is rejected for the sake of rejecting it. Please share an example of this, because I don't believe it is true.

Kingarthurhk
05-11-2012, 05:42
Facts and evidence reliant on snake oil salesmen presenting unproven mythological anecdotes and biblical references from tall tales made up thousands of years ago?

My point exactly. In another thread it was pointed out that the historical Jesus can be proved from independant historical texts, and this was pretty much the reaction. Because, no matter how much evidence presented, when someone's religious predalections will prevent them from wanting to believe. Thus, underscoring what Doc has been saying all along, Atheism is a religion.

GreenDrake
05-11-2012, 05:46
Regurgitated stories do not equate to factual representation of verfiable data. Why is that so difficult to understand? Atheism is not a religion, it is the lack of belief in a deity, of any kind.

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 06:24
My point exactly. In another thread it was pointed out that the historical Jesus can be proved from independant historical texts, and this was pretty much the reaction. That wasn't the reaction, the reaction was an entirely reasonable position that the independent evidence supports the existence of a guy named Jesus in Jerusalem and of Christians in Rome. Neither of those things either verify the Jesus of the Gospels as historical nor offer a proof of his divinity.
Because, no matter how much evidence presented, when someone's religious predalections will prevent them from wanting to believe. Thus, underscoring what Doc has been saying all along, Atheism is a religion. There is more evidence for Odin and Thor's existence than there is for Christ's divinity. Do you accept that Odin, Thor and the Aesir exist and inhabit Asgard? If not, why not?

Geko45
05-11-2012, 09:57
My point exactly. In another thread it was pointed out that the historical Jesus can be proved from independant historical texts, and this was pretty much the reaction. Because, no matter how much evidence presented, when someone's religious predalections will prevent them from wanting to believe. Thus, underscoring what Doc has been saying all along, Atheism is a religion.

For what it's worth, I believe that there is a high probablity that there was a man named Jesus that lived, became a religious leader and was executed about 2000 years ago. I believe the available historical record supports that. It's the more fanciful parts of the tale that are in need of more substantial proof.

Geko45
05-11-2012, 09:59
Because chances are there would be.

It's confirmed: Matter is merely vacuum fluctuations (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html)

Paul7
05-11-2012, 11:17

Exactly. The late Christopher Hitchens said he didn't want there to be a God, and that if he saw a miracle it would probably be a delusion or something. There's no arguing with such people.

Paul7
05-11-2012, 11:18
For what it's worth, I believe that there is a high probablity that there was a man named Jesus that lived, became a religious leader and was executed about 2000 years ago. I believe the available historical record supports that. It's the more fanciful parts of the tale that are in need of more substantial proof.

Geko, I give you point for honesty for admitting there is a historical Jesus. I agree, the rest of it is what this debate is all about.

Paul7
05-11-2012, 11:20
There is more evidence for Odin and Thor's existence than there is for Christ's divinity.

Nice try, you're mixing 'existence' with 'divinity'. Is there a historian the stature of Cornelius Tacitus who attested to Odin and Thor?

Animal Mother
05-11-2012, 18:21
Nice try, you're mixing 'existence' with 'divinity'. Is there a historian the stature of Cornelius Tacitus who attested to Odin and Thor? Yes, there is. Saxo Grammaticus and Snorri Sturluson, both of whom testify both to their existence and their divinity.

I mixed the two because while there is a difference between the existence of the person Jesus and the divinity of Christ in orthodox Christianity, there's no such divide for the Aesir.

NMG26
05-11-2012, 18:45
Why are we here?

It is an awesome fact that we know that we are here.

We get to choose to believe anything we want to believe. People have explained creation in a variety of ways, but who really knows? We believe this or that and in the end, die with our beliefs whether they were right or wrong.

Why is there stuff? For us to enjoy!

Gunhaver
05-11-2012, 19:02
Life is just a lie... With an f in it. And death is definite.

Remember to cut along the wrist, not across it.

Geko45
05-11-2012, 19:03
Remember to cut along the wrist, not across it.

:rofl:

juggy4711
05-11-2012, 19:07
It's confirmed: Matter is merely vacuum fluctuations (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html)

Interesting link. Thanks Gecko

juggy4711
05-11-2012, 19:20
Exactly. The late Christopher Hitchens said he didn't want there to be a God, and that if he saw a miracle it would probably be a delusion or something. There's no arguing with such people.

That's not exactly what he said but close enough. In the same light there is no arguing with people like you. What's the difference?

steveksux
05-12-2012, 20:51
Because there was a slightly higher % of matter rather than anti-matter immediately following the big bang.

Had there been equal amounts, they would have all annihilated each other, and nothing but energy would have remained, with no matter. Had there been slightly more anti-matter, the universe would be comprised of anti-matter instead of matter.

Randy