Aggressive drivers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive drivers

attrapereves
05-10-2012, 21:50
I was driving along I-70 in Missouri today. The speed limit is 70mph and I was averaging around 75. I generally like to drive between the speed limit and 5 over. I do this because you don't really get to your destination any quicker by speeding, and you lose fuel economy by driving faster.

Anyways, I encountered several rude drivers. I was in the left lane going 75 in a 70. One guy was behind me and kept flashing his lights. I merged into the right lane to let him pass, and then got back in the left lane.

About 30 minutes later, I had another driver tailing me. This time I was driving about 77. I've generally heard that 7mph over the limit is when cops will start giving out tickets. This driver kept tailgating me. He was throwing his hands up, and acting like he was in a real rush. He finally passed me, and flipped me the bird when he was beside me.

Was I in the wrong? I was already going OVER the speed limit, but I guess I wasn't going fast enough for these drivers. Has anyone else encountered people like this? Do you get over to let them pass, or do you just stay put and let them get around you on their own?

smokin762
05-10-2012, 21:57
Why do you prefer to ride in the fast lane? The left lane is usually the passing lane and they were trying to pass you.

attrapereves
05-10-2012, 22:22
I've always been told to ride in the left lane if you are going to be on the highway for a long time. I wasn't going to be exiting the highway for another 80 miles, so I see no reason to be in the right lane.

Maybe it's just me...

Chuck66
05-10-2012, 22:28
Yes. It's just you. And whoever told you that is wrong.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rilkil23
05-10-2012, 22:29
My opinion is you should be in the right lane, left lane is for passing. I understand what you're saying but people who float in the left lane have no business doing so. I stay in the right lane until someone needs to merge onto the road and switch to the left and as quickly as possible get back in the right lane.

alwaysshootin
05-10-2012, 23:10
I've always been told to ride in the left lane if you are going to be on the highway for a long time. I wasn't going to be exiting the highway for another 80 miles, so I see no reason to be in the right lane.

Maybe it's just me...

You were told incorrectly, as mentioned, the left lane, on a two lane highway, is for passing. Be a considerate driver, and go to the left lane, only, to pass, or get out of the way of on coming traffic. That is the correct use. Now you know!

smokin762
05-10-2012, 23:10
My opinion is you should be in the right lane, left lane is for passing. I understand what you're saying but people who float in the left lane have no business doing so. I stay in the right lane until someone needs to merge onto the road and switch to the left and as quickly as possible get back in the right lane.

Same here.

AA#5
05-10-2012, 23:35
Since I don't need a bunch of pissed-off, impatient 85-100mph drivers on my bumper, I'll only use the left lane when I'm speeding or there is no one close behind me. That way, I don't have to worry about a ticket or an idiot. :supergrin:

jjslice
05-10-2012, 23:39
You were rude for blocking the passing lane. It is state law in some states

Alizard
05-11-2012, 13:34
Anyways, I encountered several rude drivers. I was in the left lane going 75 in a 70. One guy was behind me and kept flashing his lights. I merged into the right lane to let him pass, and then got back in the left lane. I would think by now you would have gotten the message and stopped driving in the left lane when you are constantly being overtaken by faster traffic. You are imposing a traffic hazard even though you unilaterally think that driving "between the speed limit and 5 over" is what every car in the left lane should be driving.

I agree there was a rude driver in the picture, and it was you.

There is a common term for people who drive that way out here: road boulders.

Alizard
05-11-2012, 13:38
I forget where I heard it but somebody said that any survey on driving would conclude that everybody thinks they are a "better than average driver" and that everybody else is a nut.

Same thing about speed: everybody thinks the speed they are driving is optimal, and everybody else is wrong.

jeanderson
05-15-2012, 07:42
I forget where I heard it but somebody said that any survey on driving would conclude that everybody thinks they are a "better than average driver" and that everybody else is a nut.

Same thing about speed: everybody thinks the speed they are driving is optimal, and everybody else is wrong.

To me, the roads are full of idiots and maniacs. Anyone going slower than me is an idiot. Anyone going faster is a maniac. I, of course, drive the optimum speed. :cool:

jay-bird
05-15-2012, 08:03

Maybe it's just me...

WHAT?!?!? You LEARNED this behavior?

Yes. You are in the wrong. The left lane is for passing only. After you pass get back in the right lane.

Missouri. Lol.

eracer
05-15-2012, 08:04
OP, you can't win for losing.

If you are speeding in the left lane, people will insist that you give way to those who want to speed more than you.

If you speed in the right lane, you have to deal with people who understand the meaning of the phrase 'Speed Limit.'

Do what I do - drive the speed limit in the right lane, and keep at least ten car lengths between you and the car ahead of you. If you come up on a car going slow in the right lane, check your mirror and accelerate in the left lane to pass.

There are enough a-holes out there who think they're entitled to do whatever they feel like doing. Don't be one of them. Driving will become less stressful when you just relax.

Of course, if you're in the right lane you will have to deal with the a-holes that think you should yield to them when they enter a highway from an on-ramp.

A-holes, a-holes everywhere. What to do, what to do....

CitizenOfDreams
05-15-2012, 08:27

But not everybody tries to impose his understanding of optimal speed on other drivers.

IGotIt
05-15-2012, 08:38
DRIVE IN THE PROPER LANE
When driving on a highway with a total of two lanes (one lane in each direction), drive in the right hand lane. You may cross the center line for passing when there are no oncoming vehicles and no solid yellow line.
On highways with a total of four or more lanes (two or more lanes in each direction), always keep to the right unless you are passing slower traffic, letting another driver have room to enter safely, or getting ready to make a legal left turn. Once you have completed that pass Missouri Motor Vehicle Law requires you to return to the right lane. It is not legal or safe to continually drive in the left lane.

edporch
05-15-2012, 11:05
The left lane is for passing, NOT blocking traffic.

I find it ironic that you complain about one so-called "aggressive" driver, that you intentionally block the way for.

YET it's YOUR passive-aggressiveness that blocks the road so that MANY drivers are eventually backed up behind you.

Thus creating a TRULY dangerous situation of multiple cars congested together.

Being "right" is often times the wrong thing to do.
Move over and let people pass...

The Fist Of Goodness
05-15-2012, 11:16
I run into this every day. Actually, what I have been seeing more of are drivers on the passing lane either matching the speed of the car next to them (a rolling road block), or driving slower than the cars in the center or right lane (causing other drivers to pass on the right, which is dangerous too). I believe in many cases, it is a distracted driver (texting, eating), but there are plenty of drivers out there who are intentionally blocking the left lane.

I think having to deal with these scenarios is more hazardous than speeding.

Alizard
05-15-2012, 13:46
I run into this every day. Actually, what I have been seeing more of are drivers on the passing lane either matching the speed of the car next to them (a rolling road block)There are a lot of drivers out here who do that while driving in the commuter (car pool) lane..... when the traffic lanes next to them slow down and lock up, they slow down too because they are afraid to go faster even though their lane is clear. I swear there is nothing more infuriating because passing them is impossible, you are just locked behind them.

And then they see their exit and can't get over because they waited too long and the right lanes are stopped..... so they park in the commuter lane at a dead stop with their blinker on.

I like to hope there is a special hell for them.

concretefuzzynuts
05-15-2012, 13:56

This.

Dexters
05-15-2012, 14:06

Maybe it's just me...

Who told you that?

What is the thinking behind that?

AZL
07-16-2012, 16:05

Maybe it's just me...

Left lane...i.e. fast lane is for passing. The right lane is for driving. In AZ and many other places you can be ticketed for driving in the left lane. That's why there are signs all over the place that read: SLOWER TRAFFIC MOVE RIGHT.

That doesn't excuse rude behavior in other drivers...but in this case...according to their perception, you were the rude driver to them.

Rule of thumb...regardless of where you are...if someone is moving up on you rapidly...move over. Don't play dick dick and slow down on purpose, or hit your brakes...that is the kind of stuff that leads to accidents and people going into bags. Let the jerk around you and let Mr. Trooper up the road geive him a ticket.

I agree driving a million miles an hour gets you nowhere quicker...my personal rule when I worked patrol was "Nine you're fine, over that you're mine". Unless you were in a school zone or a residential neighborhood driving like a moron.

jph02
07-16-2012, 18:37
I would think by now you would have gotten the message and stopped driving in the left lane...There is a common term for people who drive that way out here: road boulders.
I call them left lane hogs. And I'll bet that not a one of them is named Bob, so the left lane is not theirs exclusively.

...YET it's YOUR passive-aggressiveness that blocks the road so that MANY drivers are eventually backed up behind you...
and I call this the lemming effect. Why do people line up in the left lane behind some guy who obviously doesn't get he's in the wrong lane? It's not like that guy is going to go any faster when a half dozen or more cars are all following him at only about a single car length's distance. If, after enough time to allow him to move right, pass on the right so the rest of us won't all end up in your debris field because you don't know the 3 second rule. :shakehead:

AZL
07-16-2012, 18:49
Not only does this apply to life in general, but seems appropo to dirving:

LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET THE FRAK OUT OF THE WAY!

Rocknropes
05-18-2014, 20:08
Well, looks like everyone covered this response.

I concur with the responses.

Speleothem
05-18-2014, 20:24
It's the law in Louisiana.
Left lane for passing.

chiefjack
05-18-2014, 21:30
I was taught to spend as much time in the right lane as possible as it gives you just a little bit more time (fraction of a second) additional reaction time should someone come across the divider toward you head-on. Along that same line, drunk drivers tend to be in the left/fast lane when driving the wrong way on a highway because they think they are in the right lane of their side of the road.

Harper
05-22-2014, 22:06
Was I in the wrong?

Yes.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c300-399/3040000015.htm
6. All vehicles in motion upon a highway having two or more lanes of traffic proceeding in the same direction shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or when preparing to make a proper left turn or when otherwise directed by traffic markings, signs or signals.

Benton
05-22-2014, 22:32

Maybe it's just me...

Maybe it's you?
No, it is you!
Grow up,and stay in the right lane.:upeyes:

WT
05-24-2014, 07:39
You were in the wrong staying in the left lane. As said above, a left lane hog.

You violated Missouri Traffic Statute 304.015, Failure to Keep Right.

Best turn yourself in to MSP.

fx77
05-24-2014, 12:20
Hell, I was in my friend's Porsche Turbo on the German Autobahn at 123 mph, and someone behind us in the fast lane was blinking his brights to pass us because were were going too slowly :)

DWARREN123
05-24-2014, 13:13
Right lane except for passing.

Sniffler
05-25-2014, 06:59
So that was you???!! Stay out of the hammer lane you dick!!! :rofl:

NavyVet1959
06-10-2014, 03:22
You should not only pay attention to whatever is in front of you, but you should pay attention to any cars that are behind you. If you see a car gaining on you, move over to the right. Besides, you can get a ticket for driving in the left lane if you are not passing anyone.

Another thing to consider is that if a cop sees two cars abreast coming over a hill and his radar indicates an excessive speed, he's going to automatically assume that the person in the left lane is the one speeding. That is not always the case as someone who was hogging the left lane and forced me to pass on the right learned one day when I was headed to Colorado. As soon as topped the hill, he turned his radar on and my radar detector screamed and I slammed on my brakes so that I did not pass the slower car in the left lane, but actually dropped back. The cop then passed me and pulled over the other guy. So, he got a ticket for 85+ in a 55 zone. Oh well, I've had to pay for tickets where I wasn't speeding also, so that's just the way the dice rolls sometimes.

eaglefrq
06-10-2014, 05:55
Here is the list for all states, and it looks pretty accurate.
***I did not verify every state, I only posted the link.***

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

The Uniform Vehicle Code states: Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

G33
06-10-2014, 18:01
Scum in Ohio stay in the left lane!
:whistling:

Wake_jumper
06-10-2014, 18:55
I was driving along I-70 in Missouri today. The speed limit is 70mph and I was averaging around 75. I generally like to drive between the speed limit and 5 over. I do this because you don't really get to your destination any quicker by speeding, and you lose fuel economy by driving faster.

Anyways, I encountered several rude drivers. I was in the left lane going 75 in a 70. One guy was behind me and kept flashing his lights. I merged into the right lane to let him pass, and then got back in the left lane.

About 30 minutes later, I had another driver tailing me. This time I was driving about 77. I've generally heard that 7mph over the limit is when cops will start giving out tickets. This driver kept tailgating me. He was throwing his hands up, and acting like he was in a real rush. He finally passed me, and flipped me the bird when he was beside me.

Was I in the wrong? I was already going OVER the speed limit, but I guess I wasn't going fast enough for these drivers. Has anyone else encountered people like this? Do you get over to let them pass, or do you just stay put and let them get around you on their own?

I-70 is like a race track anymore. But, generally, if not passing, one should stay out of the far left lane if possible.

Cars are more powerful than ever before. The average Camry has more horsepower, and is faster than the most of the muscle cars I grew up with. With all that power underfoot, is it any wonder that speeds are up and aggressive driving is the norm now.

b_oglethorpe
06-11-2014, 06:50
Op you are the rude driver. Not the other guys. Please learn your state laws. Whoever taught you that is rude as well.

NavyVet1959
06-11-2014, 08:14
Cars are more powerful than ever before. The average Camry has more horsepower, and is faster than the most of the muscle cars I grew up with. With all that power underfoot, is it any wonder that speeds are up and aggressive driving is the norm now.

And the aerodynamics are better so that they handle high speed better. I remember a '69 Pontiac that I owned that got scary around 100 mph. The extremely light power steering combined with a front end that felt like it was wanting to lift off at that speed meant that it just felt squirrely at high speeds. I've taken a VW Golf TDI (diesel) up to its electronically limited top speed of 126 mph and it felt perfectly normal.

Wake_jumper
06-11-2014, 08:20
And the aerodynamics are better so that they handle high speed better. I remember a '69 Pontiac that I owned that got scary around 100 mph. The extremely light power steering combined with a front end that felt like it was wanting to lift off at that speed meant that it just felt squirrely at high speeds. I've taken a VW Golf TDI (diesel) up to its electronically limited top speed of 126 mph and it felt perfectly normal.

The cars may handle speed better but the laws of physics haven't changed. And things happen a lot faster at 100 then they do at 65.

weems76
07-11-2014, 07:33
People like you sir are why I wish to modify my vehicles with a forward mounted belt fed and a cattle guard from an old locomotive. To quote the musical genius Ludacris, MOVE BI&CH get out the way!! People in Germany regularly cruise well into the triple digits on the Autobahn, and yet they have very few accidents because people who see flashing headlights behind them move over to let people pass.

Unless you are a sworn LEO you have no right or obligation to enforce traffic laws.