Thoughts on Colt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Colt?

MattyIce
05-11-2012, 00:05
Alright GT, I'm thinking about picking up a new 1911. My budget is about $1000 and would like to stay under that. I have really taken a liking to the Colt XSE in stainless steel. What are your thoughts?......Go.

Snaps
05-11-2012, 00:16
Nice gun, not a series 70 though.

fnfalman
05-11-2012, 00:43
I like Colts. Both because they churn out decent stuff and...well...it's Colt.

I personally don't like all the geegaw that is on the XSE. However, I do have a Lightweight Commander XSE that I bought because I wanted a lightweight Commander and the XSE was the only one available at the local gun shop. I have zero patience and serious impulse buy issues.

It shoots well enough but the trigger is a tad heavier and doesn't break very cleanly. It does seem to get better with more rounds fired through it. I had issues with low point of impact across several different ammunition. A new rear sight fixed it.

The full size Government Models of the same production years that I bought didn't have low point of impact issues.

Anyway, the ambidextrous safety is rather flimsy and cheesy on the XSE. I replaced mine with a left-side-only safety.

Personally, I prefer the standard Government Model without all the weird stuff on it.

bac1023
05-11-2012, 04:09
Eh, if you're going to get a Colt, go with a Series 70.

Otherwise take that $1000 and pick up an STI Trojan. :cool:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_0003-1.jpg

silversport
05-11-2012, 04:59
unless you have to have a Colt...there may be better choices...my 2005 made XSE Government has many sharp edges, loose front and rear sights and the duck bill grip safety many despise for whatever reason...

I send my 1911 pattern pistols out for work so mine shoots great and is 100% reliable, the sights were fixed with Lock-Tite...I just live with the sharp edges and the duck bill doesn't bother me a bit...YMMV...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000152_edited-1.jpg

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

Lowjiber
05-11-2012, 05:15
I only own one Colt 1911...a Gold Cup. I love it.

okie
05-11-2012, 09:03
The only experience I have had with Colt is I owned a Colt 1991A1 for a minute, I didn't like the short grip safety nor the spur hammer. Also I used to own a Kimber Classic Stainless and it out shot a Colt Gold Cup:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
05-11-2012, 09:20
In general, I think they are way behind the curve in the 1911 market and like many companies (Smith, some Remington), they're riding on their name. I'm talking about the new ones, here... sloppy fit on the grip safeties, generally poor slide to frame fit, no frontstrap checkering of any kind, firing pin safety, et cetera.

A good friend of mine was a through and through Colt guy. If it didn't have the pony on it, he wasn't interested. His rail gun is currently at the smith for the second time getting all Ed Brown parts put in as he's had 2 MIM parts break on him during a course of fire. Not to get into the MIM discussion - I compete with a TRP loaded with MIM parts. Anyway, he's going to buy a Wilson and has said to me on several occasions that now that his rail gun has a couple thousand bucks into it, he should have started off with a Brown or Wilson to begin with.

I'd have to agree with Brian and say go STI for a thousand bucks.

Zombie Steve
05-11-2012, 09:20
I only own one Colt 1911...a Gold Cup. I love it.

Older Gold Cups are a horse of a different color.

:cowboy:

ArmoryDoc
05-11-2012, 09:57
Love my Series 70 and Series 80 Combat Commander.

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/Img1/A_7/8/1/6/226187/581dc91045994b2592ad3ed340cd4936.JPG?uid=c8505fda-1bca-4be2-9ca0-b347356117e3
http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/Img1/A_7/8/1/6/226187/cfa16cf692ce4e01bde9b56b3373a1ba.JPG?uid=39ea9662-7aa5-4ad7-b803-f35d18e91c29

fnfalman
05-11-2012, 10:16
Anyway, he's going to buy a Wilson and has said to me on several occasions that now that his rail gun has a couple thousand bucks into it, he should have started off with a Brown or Wilson to begin with.

So...he spent three thousand bucks on a Colt to make it the equal of a $3000 Brown or Wilson...:dunno:

Yes, if he were to spend that much money then he should have already bought a Baer/Wilson/Brown/name-your-smith. I don't see the point of buying a lesser gun and then dump thousands of dollars into it to make it into a gun that you can just buy already made with high degree of fit & finish and features.

I don't see the problem here. You pay for what you get. A $1000 Colt isn't going to be as good as a $3000 Wilson, or a $1700 Dan Wesson.

ca survivor
05-11-2012, 11:15
After I bought my Springfield Armory RO, all I think in 1911s is SA and I have Colts.

Zombie Steve
05-11-2012, 11:16
So...he spent three thousand bucks on a Colt to make it the equal of a $3000 Brown or Wilson...:dunno:

Yes, if he were to spend that much money then he should have already bought a Baer/Wilson/Brown/name-your-smith. I don't see the point of buying a lesser gun and then dump thousands of dollars into it to make it into a gun that you can just buy already made with high degree of fit & finish and features.

I don't see the problem here. You pay for what you get. A $1000 Colt isn't going to be as good as a $3000 Wilson, or a $1700 Dan Wesson.

Maybe I was confusing in how I wrote that. The price of his rail gun - whatever it was... a thousand, twelve hundred... and with new parts and having it tuned up he's now got a couple thousand total into it. Easily in Les Baer range and damn close to Ed Brown range.

majette
05-11-2012, 13:32
Springfield Armory

Glockdude1
05-11-2012, 14:06
Springfield Armory

:agree:

fnfalman
05-11-2012, 15:31
Maybe I was confusing in how I wrote that. The price of his rail gun - whatever it was... a thousand, twelve hundred... and with new parts and having it tuned up he's now got a couple thousand total into it. Easily in Les Baer range and damn close to Ed Brown range.

Exactly my point.

If you want a pretty gun with all the nice handfitting, it's gonna cost. You can either buy directly from a brand that comes like that at higher price, or you buy a base gun and build it up.

I personally don't see why I would buy a Colt and then send it out for a makeover. Might as well buy the more expensive one and call it a day. It's like buying a Mustang and then send it to Saleen for tuning where you can buy a Saleen Mustang with all the stuff already in it.

Zombie Steve
05-11-2012, 15:53
Exactly my point.

If you want a pretty gun with all the nice handfitting, it's gonna cost. You can either buy directly from a brand that comes like that at higher price, or you buy a base gun and build it up.

I personally don't see why I would buy a Colt and then send it out for a makeover. Might as well buy the more expensive one and call it a day. It's like buying a Mustang and then send it to Saleen for tuning where you can buy a Saleen Mustang with all the stuff already in it.

I agree with you. Point is I don't think his blind devotion to the prancing pony allowed him to see what they've become. Now he gets it.

CAcop
05-11-2012, 16:08
I like my Colts. The Series 80 is a neccessity for me since that is what work requires. If I had it my way I would probably gotten a Springfield Loaded just so I can pick up extra mags super cheap with the coupon that comes with them. For most user you could probably go down to your dealer and pick up a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Smith, and maybe even Sig these days and be perfectly happy with any of them.

mr00jimbo
05-11-2012, 17:40
I have a series 70 Government model full size, blued. Love it. The bluing is glossy and beautiful, the fit and finish is great (except for the slightly off center recoil spring tunnel).

It rattles a bit when I shake it, and that's fine. I've never subscribed to the belief that a 1911 needs to be super tight. Maybe they're accurate that way but I don't think reliability is synonymous with no play.
The gun has no sharp edges anywhere, but the hammer bites me but that's the design of a GI style gun, not the gun's flaw.

In Canada, you can buy a brand new forged steel Norinco GI for 325 dollars complete. With that you get an apparently great barrel that feeds hollow points with ease, and is decently accurate (not a competition gun but...). I was thinking to go that route, drop 1000 into it and see what comes out. No MIM, all "tool steel".
If you find a Norinco on the used market, you could always go that route. But I love my Colt, you do pay for the name but that's true of any high quality good I can think of, doesn't mean they're not high quality.

Three-Five-Seven
05-11-2012, 17:47
The best made 1911s I own are Colt's. By all means, get a Series '70. They are right at the price you mention.

I shoot my Springfield a lot more than the Colt's guns. But, they are really a pleasure to behold. They are both (100 yr. Series 70 and Gold Cup Series 70) 100% in the function department. They do need some serious de-horning, however.

My other 1911 is a Ruger. It doesn't compare favorably to the Colt's or Springfield guns.

samuse
05-11-2012, 19:56
I've had a few basic model Colts and was pretty disappointed with all of 'em.

Sharp, sharp edges, poor fitting parts, not reliable, poor customer service, 5 months to fix a loose plunger tube and dehorn a ridiculously sharp gun.

My last straw with Colt: They wouldn't pay to ship a defective gun the week I bought it new from a gun shop because they said it was over a year old already. Gimme a break, they produce junk and then b.s. their way out of the warranty.

Springfield Armory is the way to go for a production level 1911.

countrygun
05-11-2012, 20:07
Just from an old 1911 hand and an old fashioned thinker, for the type of coin you are talking about it would be easy to spend much of it on features you don't need to get "the package". Do you really need front serrations? Are you sure it has the most comfortable trigger for you? Do you need, or really want, those particular sights? You could get a more "basic" Springfield and decide what YOU want and need and put your money in that direction.

Paul7
05-11-2012, 21:43
Spend $300 more and get a Dan Wesson Valor.

Rio Vista Slim
05-12-2012, 07:12
I have been buying Colt 1911s since the early 1970s. Some of these have been outstanding, while others were somewhat less than perfect. I will agree with those in this thread who have stated that Colt's quality was suspect in years past, and that the company lagged behind other companies in the features offered on their pistols.

As an example, I owned a current production Series 70 Government model which had an identified cosmetic issue with the spring tunnel.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_3020.jpg

Additionally, the "duck-bill" or "duck-tail" grip safety was, in my opinion, an ill-conceived idea, and aesthetically an abysmal-looking feature.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_1678.jpg

Having said all that, the new Colts coming out of their factory are as nice as anything ever produced by Colt. Pride in manufacture, quality control, and good customer service has returned, and one could do a whole lot worse than buying any Colt being currently manufactured.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_3954.jpg
Current production Colt Defender with after-market stag grips.

NOTE: The difference in color at the front of the pistol is a shadow, not a defect!

H&K .45 AUTO
05-12-2012, 15:02
Of the six 1911 type pistols that I've owned, only one has been a Colt. I wish I still owned it. It was a very basic Officers ACP. It wasn't as accurate as the Dan Wesson Pointman I owned, it wasn't as pretty as the Smith & Wesson 1911Sc I owned, and it wasn't quite the knock-around gun that my Rock Island midsize is... But, it ran like a champ, and was reasonably accurate.

A guy could do a whole lot worse than buying a Colt in my estimation. Yes, you do pay for the name in some regards. With that said, you're not likely to lose a dime on re-sale when it comes to a Colt 1911... There's always guys out there who are willing to pay for the name.

fnfalman
05-13-2012, 00:18
Additionally, the "duck-bill" or "duck-tail" grip safety was, in my opinion, an ill-conceived idea, and aesthetically an abysmal-looking feature.

The new ones all got beavertail grip safeties now. I think that the duck tail was last used sometimes in the mid-2012. I got a Lightweight Commander XSE (with the 100-years of Service rollmark) and it came with the duck tail grip safety. The latter ones all came with the beavertail grip safety. My Talo CCO came with the beavertail grip safety.

Frankly, I care for neither, but since that they came on the gun and not affected operation any...I'll stick with it. Maybe one of these days I'll get tired of them and change them out for the tang grip safety.

Rio Vista Slim
05-13-2012, 07:27
The new ones all got beavertail grip safeties now. I think that the duck tail was last used sometimes in the mid-2012. I got a Lightweight Commander XSE (with the 100-years of Service rollmark) and it came with the duck tail grip safety. The latter ones all came with the beavertail grip safety. My Talo CCO came with the beavertail grip safety.

Frankly, I care for neither, but since that they came on the gun and not affected operation any...I'll stick with it. Maybe one of these days I'll get tired of them and change them out for the tang grip safety.
I tend to agree with fnfalman on his preference for tang grip safeties. And, he is quite correct on Colt discontinuing the use of the "duck-tail" saftey. As the photo of my new Defender illustrates, a superbly fit beavertail safety with speed bump adorns my new pistol.

The tang-type safety on a Colt New Agent which I owned for several years had a tendency to bite my hand (sharp edges rather than hammer-bite).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/RioVistaSlim/IMG_2668-1.jpg

I reluctantly sold this pistol in favor of the Defender because of the above mentioned issue, as well as my preference for a pistol with sights.

fnfalman
05-13-2012, 18:25
The tang-type safety on a Colt New Agent which I owned for several years had a tendency to bite my hand (sharp edges rather than hammer-bite).

The only time I had experienced this sort of bite was on the M1991A1 Compact. The other Colts' tangs were better finished.

Wolf Spyder
05-13-2012, 19:17
I really want a Colt Delta Elite, but I want it with all the neat new stuff like the Colt Rail Guns. So I mocked up a Delta / Rail Gun, thinking I might have a chat with Colt about a price...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/O2020RGColtDeltaEliteRailGun.jpg

But then I realized I can build my own 10mm using Caspian's slide and frame and filling it with better parts for about the same money that Colt might charge me for one of their Rail Guns in 10mm. I like that idea better. I found this image, below, on a forum and it is almost exactly what I am wanting to build.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/CaspianCustomReconSageTan.jpg

I can order the slide, frame, and barrel all at once from Caspian and they will do the fitting of those three parts for me. I just can't mill the lugs on the barrel. I can do the fitting on the other parts myself, I have before. This way I don't have to worry about MIM parts... I can have the slide say what ever I wish, I can even have a custom serial number if I want. Better yet I might order two barrels, a 10mm barrel and a .40S&W barrel and have them fit both barrels to the slide and frame. That way I can change back and forth when I want to.

I can even choose between a 5 inch or 6 inch slide...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/CaspianM19115inchslide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/CaspianM19116inchlongslide.jpg

Give it a look.

m814
05-13-2012, 19:36
I own two Colt Combat Elites, a SA Champion LW, and a Baer PII with fixed sights, Cerakoted. I have owned several SAs in the past, worked on a few Colt's and quite a few SAs. Not to mention the Phillipino 1911s I have worked on. One of my CEs has about 12 hours of extra work in it by me and has been deburred, bead blasted frame, trigger job, bushing fitted, and everything stoned and polished. This CE is the one I carry the most and is a very nice pistol. I still have a little less than a grand in it. It shoots and carries just as nice as the Baer and will always be recognized as a Colt. I like the XSE Combat Elites and the Rail guns, but really have no interest in the series 70 style. I don't believe the trigger is any different after minimal work and see no problem at all with the 80 safety. I think most of the 70 vs 80 stuff is internet hype. I will say the XSE was sharp when I bought it, but if you are getting SS then that is easily remedied with a stone or 400 grit sandpaper, then bead blasting afterwards, I like the dull SS much more than any polished SS.

MoCop
05-17-2012, 07:53
The only Colt I have ever owned was a series 80 commander. I had the sights and grip safety replaced and parkerized. It was a good gun and never bobbled a bit. It was a nice gun.