Fondled three guns today, will buy one... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fondled three guns today, will buy one...

skippz
05-11-2012, 13:25
Went to my lgs... Held a xdm 3.8 45, hk 45c, and an fn fiveseven... Narrowed it down to the hk or fn... Hk feels better in hand, plus its a tad more practical I would think. However I already have 2 ccw pistols, so I donno if I want to drop the $1k on another or if I wanna throw $1050 on a "fun" gun... As I'm sure the fn would be a hoot to shoot, and my wife would probably enjoy it as well. I don't have an ammo stockpile for either caliber, so once I decide I'll be buying up ammo, what do you guys think?

racer88
05-11-2012, 14:08
Be prepared for a cacophony of Five-seveN haters (most of whom have never touched one). I have one. I love it. Very cool pistol and fun, too. But, I love FNH guns. That said... I think I'd like an HK some day.

skippz
05-11-2012, 14:25
I'm not so much worried about everyone else.. I would like to shoot both though...

SigFTW
05-11-2012, 14:31
Be prepared for a cacophony of Five-seveN haters (most of whom have never touched one). I have one. I love it. Very cool pistol and fun, too. But, I love FNH guns. That said... I think I'd like an HK some day.

What a junk gun!!! just kidding:tongueout:

I have shot the FN fiveseven and though it was a cool round, the gun ran very well. I just can't get past the cheap plastic look.(just my opinion)

TSAX
05-11-2012, 14:37
Do they have one to rent and try. Id go with the HK, but thats my preference

:50cal:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-11-2012, 15:18
Someone earlier asked me in a PM about the Five Seven. I previous owned one. I generally stay out of any Five Seven related threads on this site and many others. I have two PS90s (one is almost 6 years old now), and I've had a Five Seven Handgun.

However - the same anti 5.7 crew (who have NEVER even owned one) ALWAYS comes out the woodworks with the same garbage and outdated info. The threads always break down into name calling by them - each and every time.

I just stay out of the threads for the past 2-3 years, as it's just a disaster in the making if you hop on that train (try to be pro five seven on one of these threads).

In fact, I've said too much already :rofl:

Bruce M
05-11-2012, 15:42
I'd go for the H&K - just sounds more practical.

skippz
05-11-2012, 15:50
Well, the hk probably is more practical, and it is nicer to hold, and I'm an hk fan... However I reckon fn makes a fine weapon too, and having 20 rds of ~2000 fps lead on tap is a huge plus, I don't care if it's a .22 caliber bullet or nay, 2 or3 of those babies in a kill zone and it's a bad day for somebody... And from what I hear it's fairly easy to get fast, accurate f/u shots... At any rate I'm gonna jump on one soon, just haven't decided yet

SGT_Calle
05-11-2012, 16:10
I own and love my HK45c. It is my only carry gun.
Seeing that you have other guns for carry I vote FN. They are crazy fun to shoot (but a bit pricey to feed). I fired one at my range that a guy offered, I'd love to own one but can't justify it on my budget, lol.

skippz
05-11-2012, 16:16
Well my other 2 carry pieces are 9mm (glock 19/m&p 9c)... Now there's nothing wrong with a 9, maybe I just wanna larger caliber in the hk 45c, I may even trade one of those two if I decide to go the hk route... Thanks for the help guys, keep em comin

GRT45
05-11-2012, 16:37
Hickok45 (http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45) produced two recent videos that may be useful to you if you haven't seen them already:

FN Five-seveN 5.7X28mm

FN Five-seveN ( chapter 2 )

Gregg702
05-11-2012, 16:59
If it is just for a fun gun, get the Five seveN. 20 round mags of 5.7 = fun.

WarEagle32
05-11-2012, 17:00
I'd go for the H&K - just sounds more practical.

Agree with you as usual Bruce! The H&K is a lot more practical and a fine gun. Also, 45 ammo will be tons to find easier and most likely cheaper than ammo for the 5.7!

SGT_Calle
05-11-2012, 17:19
Well my other 2 carry pieces are 9mm (glock 19/m&p 9c)... Now there's nothing wrong with a 9, maybe I just wanna larger caliber in the hk 45c, I may even trade one of those two if I decide to go the hk route... Thanks for the help guys, keep em comin

This changes my opinion!
For a carry 45 I can't vote loudly enough for the HK. It is a bit bulky but I wouldn't carry anything else. I had a XD45c and liked it just fine but once I had saved enough I bought the HK.

TnGlocker12
05-11-2012, 19:58
The HK45C is on my want list.

TxGlock9
05-11-2012, 20:33
HK45c. I have close friends that have all 3 guns you have mentioned. I've shot them all. Even the P90 rifle. Though the FN is cool with almost zero recoil, I don't like the thought of having limited place to go to buy ammo. If you're buying bulk online than it's a more even match between the two pistols.

bac1023
05-11-2012, 21:12
I love my FiveseveN, personally.

dnuggett
05-11-2012, 22:10
Are you even trying to be practical? If you are going to get a plastic gun, that won't see carry use go with the FN.

skippz
05-11-2012, 22:44
Are you even trying to be practical? If you are going to get a plastic gun, that won't see carry use go with the FN.

Whatd'ya mean? Should I not buy either?
If I drop the hammer on the HK it will def see carry use, if I go FN it will probably only come out on range days or camping/hiking trips... So I'm gonna go fondle some more Tuesday and probably make my decision then

dnuggett
05-11-2012, 22:55
Whatd'ya mean? Should I not buy either?
If I drop the hammer on the HK it will def see carry use, if I go FN it will probably only come out on range days or camping/hiking trips... So I'm gonna go fondle some more Tuesday and probably make my decision then

No not saying that at all. A statement was made about being practical. Who cares about practical? If you are trying to be practical, great. If not, great.

My point is if you are going to buy plastic and don't care about being practical then the FN is a fine choice.

skippz
05-11-2012, 23:00
No not saying that at all. A statement was made about being practical. Who cares about practical? If you are trying to be practical, great. If not, great.

My point is if you are going to buy plastic and don't care about being practical then the FN is a fine choice.

It's a toughie that's for sure... I don't NEED practical but it never hurts...

TSAX
05-11-2012, 23:03
In my experience fondling is never as good as the shooting experience and I dont mean just for for guns :whistling:

:50cal:

skippz
05-11-2012, 23:37
Lol true true, need to find a place that rents them

fnfalman
05-12-2012, 01:30
I'm anti-Five Seven pistol because of the ridiculous price FN wants for it. The other FN plastic pistols are only MSRP for half the Five Seven. What gives?

G26S239
05-12-2012, 04:49
Well, the hk probably is more practical, and it is nicer to hold, and I'm an hk fan... However I reckon fn makes a fine weapon too, and having 20 rds of ~2000 fps lead on tap is a huge plus, I don't care if it's a .22 caliber bullet or nay, 2 or3 of those babies in a kill zone and it's a bad day for somebody... And from what I hear it's fairly easy to get fast, accurate f/u shots... At any rate I'm gonna jump on one soon, just haven't decided yet
My own inclination is one of the 45 ACPs but as far as impractical guns go I have a 45 ACP Bond Arms Texas Defender, CZ 52 and S&W 460XVR (I am not a handgun hunter - just wanted a huge super magnum). When you get to the gun shop and start putting money down your heart will either go along or instill doubt.

MadMonkey
05-12-2012, 04:58
I'd go for the HK.....since I already have a Five Seven.

Queen Bee
05-12-2012, 05:47
Go with the HK45, if you want a range toy skip the five seven overpriced Kel-Tec PMR30

Buy a keltec pmr-30 it runs on 22 magnum and it will be better, and wont lighten your wallet like a FN

Rustin
05-12-2012, 07:28
I never really got into the Five Seven. I think it's a good pistol for it's intended role, as a rear echelon companion piece to the P90. With military ammo I could imagine it being a good pistol. Is the primary goal for this round to penetrate? I don't know how that would translate to hitting someone without armor, as it may tend to over penetrate. The civilian ammo is watered down so I just don't see the allure. Too expensive as well. HK45 on the other hand is undisbuteable badassedness.

MadMonkey
05-12-2012, 07:37
Aaaand they've arrived. I'm out.

eracer
05-12-2012, 07:41
Fun gun?

FN Five-seveN, for sure. I've shot one, and it's just plain cool. The most accurate pistol I've ever fired, and I like accuracy.

jerryd
05-12-2012, 07:57
Had a 5.7 pistol enjoyed shooting it but ammo was toooo expensive and from what i heard its a pain to reload, the necks keep colapsing, so i ended up selling it for a colt 70 series. Its all about what YOU are happy with, enjoy whatever you get.:cheerleader::cheerleader:

racer88
05-12-2012, 08:23
Had a 5.7 pistol enjoyed shooting it but ammo was toooo expensive

Ammo costs about the same as .45-ACP. Sometimes as low as what you pay for .40.

Shocker73
05-12-2012, 08:48
I watched the Top Shot episode where they shot the Five Seven. That gun looked pretty damn sweet to me.

TalkToTheGlock
05-12-2012, 09:27
FiveSeven if you want to have fun. Hk45c for all business.

45caldan
05-12-2012, 10:44
As far as the FN, I would be more interested if the civilian rounds weren't nuetered....

20SFLV
05-12-2012, 15:09

I carry my FN all the time. Fits just fine in a crossbreed IWB holster with no problems.

hoghunter82
05-12-2012, 15:21
Since cost is clearly not much of a factor based on you even considering the ones u listed, I would just rank them in order of what u want more. Sounds like u will probably get both at some point so just go with what tickles your fancy the most. Once the urge to buy comes back then get the other one.
You only live once so get what makes u smile the widest!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

skippz
05-12-2012, 20:32
Well guys I dropped the hammer... on the HK45c... yes I was sweating bullets dropping $1k on a gun (even though I've done it before)... I have a family now so I have to pinch ever penny. Sorry no pics yet, but I will get some up as soon as I get a chance to shoot this baby, just got her about 4 hours ago and haven't had a chance to do anything but remove the factory grease and give it a good cleaning... seems to break down a little easier than I expected from youtube vids. So for what its worth expect a full review to follow within the next couple weeks, I'm goin to my farm next weekend, and headed over to Buds to shoot it some next week as well @ the indoor range... I also have a new'ish knife I'll be testing out on my annual camping trip... its a dan winkler belt knife, so I'll probably take some pics of the two together... thanks all for your input... I held both again today, and I just felt like I had more "gun" holding the HK, no regrets... YET... lets just hope she shoots straight...

hoghunter82
05-12-2012, 20:40
Never regret buying a HK. Congrats!!

GRT45
05-12-2012, 21:23
Congratulations! There is no doubt in my mind that you made the better choice between the final two pistols you were considering. The HK45c is a terrific pistol.

glock2740
05-12-2012, 21:33
HK all the way.

skippz
05-12-2012, 21:39
well does anyone know where I can find some flat floorplates for the mags??? I ordered one mag from hkparts.net w/ the flat plate, but I would rather convert my two other mags as to spend $60 for a new mag... know what I mean? I'm on their waiting list for some flat plates, but if someone knows a good source I'll keep checking w/ them... Either way, just from handling and dry firing... (you guys are gonna laugh)... to me it feels like a plastic 1911... yeah, the ergos are that good... natural pointability, when I bring it up my dominant eye falls right on the front sight, its awesome. Didn't realize this in the gunshop... Oh btw it only came w/ 2 backstraps, I realize most pistolas come w/ 3... did they short me one, or is this normal?

JuneyBooney
05-12-2012, 21:47
Went to my lgs... Held a xdm 3.8 45, hk 45c, and an fn fiveseven... Narrowed it down to the hk or fn... Hk feels better in hand, plus its a tad more practical I would think. However I already have 2 ccw pistols, so I donno if I want to drop the $1k on another or if I wanna throw $1050 on a "fun" gun... As I'm sure the fn would be a hoot to shoot, and my wife would probably enjoy it as well. I don't have an ammo stockpile for either caliber, so once I decide I'll be buying up ammo, what do you guys think?

The Hk's are nice pistols. The Fn has no recoil but is expensive to shoot. I hope you wiped them off after "fingering" them. :whistling:

dnuggett
05-12-2012, 22:12
I carry my FN all the time. Fits just fine in a crossbreed IWB holster with no problems.

Spare mag?

ftw13
05-13-2012, 02:07
shot them all so here's my take...
not an XD fan,bulky slide,high bore axis and the grip safety is a useless and dangerous feature on this platform. seen them go out three different times rendering the gun useless.
the hk45 is a nice gun,low capacity though
the five seven shoots very well but imho is overpriced big time. should be five hundred tops. the ammo is more expensive and not as easy to find. FN usually prices their handguns very fairly not sure why this one is so much more.
imho get a PPQ

hoghunter82
05-13-2012, 07:56
Can't believe it took this long for the PPQ to find its way into another thread. What does the PPQ have to do with this thread?

racer88
05-13-2012, 08:07
Why do so many claim that 5.7 ammo is "expensive???" Compared to what? I don't hear folks claiming .45-ACP is expensive to shoot. And, that's odd because the two cost about the same.

ftw13
05-13-2012, 11:34
Why do so many claim that 5.7 ammo is "expensive???" Compared to what? I don't hear folks claiming .45-ACP is expensive to shoot. And, that's odd because the two cost about the same.

around the same price but damn impossible to find unless ordering online

ftw13
05-13-2012, 11:35
Can't believe it took this long for the PPQ to find its way into another thread. What does the PPQ have to do with this thread?

well he is deciding on pistols,the PPQ is a great pistol. he would be missing out if he didn't check one out and put it in the running.

45caldan
05-13-2012, 11:44
well he is deciding on pistols,the PPQ is a great pistol. he would be missing out if he didn't check one out and put it in the running.

Agreed.......
The OP has NOT decided what he wants to buy and he SHOULD check out the awesome PPQ!

20SFLV
05-13-2012, 12:35
Spare mag?

Don't normally carry one, but there are companies that make products to allow you to carry a spare mag or two.

I carry a mag that I have used previously and I know that works. If I need more than 21 rounds then something is really wrong.

GRT45
05-13-2012, 12:35

Agreed.......
The OP has NOT decided what he wants to buy and he SHOULD check out the awesome PPQ!

Too late, he already decided wisely for the HK45c (see Post #38 (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18959573&postcount=38) earlier). Maybe the next pistol will be a PPQ. :)

racer88
05-13-2012, 15:56
around the same price but damn impossible to find unless ordering online

True. I buy most of my ammo online. And, at the moment, impossible to find online, too. Glad I stocked up! But, a lot of ammo is scarce now. To wit... .223 FMJ is very scarce at the moment. Got plenty of that, too! Hope things settle down again after the election.

That all said... I've paid anywhere from $18 - $20 for a box of fifty 5.7 ammo... about the same as .45-ACP.

ftw13
05-13-2012, 16:12
im a fan of the five seven,just not a fan of the price point of the pistol

skippz
05-15-2012, 22:06
Well for anyone who owns one I took off the backstrap and just to the left of the spring in the housing there is a little disc... it almost looks like a watch battery... anyone know what that is?

hoghunter82
05-16-2012, 07:30
Tracking device. Big Brother is watching. They will show up any day to confiscate your guns. I suggest you send the gun to me. I have an anti-tracking device safe. Just kidding. I have no clue what that is. Someone here will chime in.

skippz
05-17-2012, 22:51
hell it wouldn't suprise me