Mace day at the Academy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mace day at the Academy

11A
05-11-2012, 14:41
I am convinced that Fox 5.3 is straight from the devil.

With that said, it was a great experience to go through and I'm glad I know that I can fight through it! Now, of my face would stop burning, I might just get up enough courage to wash up and reactivate it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

msu_grad_121
05-11-2012, 14:55
Toughen up, buttercup! :rofl: Yeah, everyone feared CS day at the academy, but I learned to deal a loooong time ago. Glad you made it through.

CJStudent
05-11-2012, 15:26
Toughen up, buttercup! :rofl: Yeah, everyone feared CS day at the academy, but I learned to deal a loooong time ago. Glad you made it through.

CS is infinitely better than OC. I call OC "the piss of Satan" for a reason! It always seems to hit me worse than anybody else around, lol.

You'll live through it, though, and knowing what to expect and that you can fight through it is an awesome thing when you're breaking up a fight and it starts getting everywhere and on everyone.

Nick.45
05-11-2012, 15:30
I love walking in to the aftermath of inmates getting sprayed for fighting and seeing all the other inmates who weren't even close hacking, coughing, and their faces all red and eyes watering. Brings a smile to my face every time.

CJStudent
05-11-2012, 15:42
I love walking in to the aftermath of inmates getting sprayed for fighting and seeing all the other inmates who weren't even close hacking, coughing, and their faces all red and eyes watering. Brings a smile to my face every time.

When I worked for the state, they made us stop using it on cell entries. It seems that the air handler would transfer the wonderful peppery goodness to the rest of the wing; they didn't like that too much, lol.

Nick.45
05-11-2012, 15:52
When I worked for the state, they made us stop using it on cell entries. It seems that the air handler would transfer the wonderful peppery goodness to the rest of the wing; they didn't like that too much, lol.

I am jealous. We don't do cell entries hardly at all any more. My personal philosophy is if our response team has to suit up, they are going in, regardless. The supervisors are of a different opinion though. When the extraction team enters the unit, the supervisor starts asking for compliance again, usually for another 5-10 minutes or until the inmate complies. :upeyes: We have gone from a reputation of kicking tail to the inmates walking all over it in less than 4 years. Makes me sick.

CJStudent
05-11-2012, 16:05
I am jealous. We don't do cell entries hardly at all any more. My personal philosophy is if our response team has to suit up, they are going in, regardless. The supervisors are of a different opinion though. When the extraction team enters the unit, the supervisor starts asking for compliance again, usually for another 5-10 minutes or until the inmate complies. :upeyes: We have gone from a reputation of kicking tail to the inmates walking all over it in less than 4 years. Makes me sick.

At the state, it really depended on which supervisor was there (and which inmate was acting up, of course; most were door warriors, though). Once we put the X26 in seg, though, we got compliance a LOT faster; usually as soon as they saw the thing. :supergrin:

I haven't done any entries since I've gone fed, though; we don't do too many regardless at my joint.

lpo
05-11-2012, 17:40
How does OC and CS compare to freeze +P?

GRIMLET
05-11-2012, 17:53

Freeze is the best of both!

RyanNREMTP
05-11-2012, 18:13
We used Freeze Plus in the academy. Only place it bothered me was on my forehead where I got a sunburn from standing outside awaiting my turn. Other than that it was a joke.

blueiron
05-11-2012, 18:22

It is a combination of OC and CS. It was designed to overcome the small percentage of people who show a resistance to OC.

It's okay, but I personally find OC worse than military CS.

lpo
05-11-2012, 18:26
We used Freeze Plus in the academy. Only place it bothered me was on my forehead where I got a sunburn from standing outside awaiting my turn. Other than that it was a joke.

That's what I was wondering. That's what I got hit with, and I wasn't that bothered by it.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) didn't care for the kiss I gave her that night....... :whistling:

GRIMLET
05-11-2012, 18:44
You guys are the lucky few. Was there a chance it was expired? Active cs is pretty nasty stuff.

msu_grad_121
05-11-2012, 19:06
I spoke wrong earlier, it was OC, not CS. Sorry, been a looooooong week. Still, though, wasn't that bad.

Vigilant
05-11-2012, 19:13

I agree. It just breaks my heart when they turn the evac fans on. :supergrin:

Vigilant
05-11-2012, 19:15

It's the exact same way in my little neighborhood, and it's downright nauseating.

CJStudent
05-11-2012, 19:59
It's okay, but I personally find OC worse than military CS.

Fully agreed. The effects of CS end fairly quickly (within 5 minutes or so for me, usually), but OC keeps at me for at least an hour or more.

kayl
05-12-2012, 09:08
Fully agreed. The effects of CS end fairly quickly (within 5 minutes or so for me, usually), but OC keeps at me for at least an hour or more.

Never experienced CS, but being fair (aka pasty) skinned, OC affected me for a good hour and every time I showered for the next few days...

FL Airedale
05-12-2012, 09:42
CS is nasty stuff and I'm glad that's all I had to deal with. I got hit with it twice on different days. One time was intentional just so I could appreciate what a wonderful product it was. The other time I used it from too close a range and it splashed back into my face. Painful lesson for me, but it did defuse the situation.

From talking to people that have experienced both OC and CS, I think taking two hits with CS is preferable to one with OC.

Hack
05-12-2012, 10:20
CS is infinitely better than OC. I call OC "the piss of Satan" for a reason! It always seems to hit me worse than anybody else around, lol.

You'll live through it, though, and knowing what to expect and that you can fight through it is an awesome thing when you're breaking up a fight and it starts getting everywhere and on everyone.

True that. CS is like a nice potent decongestant. OC if formulated right will have a kick like a mule, and then some. Now, where are those TASERS at?

Hack
05-12-2012, 10:25

I feel your pain brother. Pretty much the same where I am at, concerning higher admin. Liability seems to be tattooed to somewhere sensitive.:steamed:

Last time I went in on someone it was an immediate use of the force, no spray right at hand. Fun, fun, fun.:upeyes:

Hack
05-12-2012, 10:26
Never experienced CS, but being fair (aka pasty) skinned, OC affected me for a good hour and every time I showered for the next few days...

Just do like one fair skinned LT of mine used to do, (I was with the state at that time). He used it on his BBQ. I hear it is easier to get used to.:whistling:

lopak
05-14-2012, 17:06
Always good to know how the stuff will hit you.

In one arrest, I mace'd a guy (nicknamed Oso) enough that the stuff poured out of his hair. I chased him around the patrol car, spraying, until he gave up. Must of been 3 laps.

When I stuffed him in the car and got in, I became maced as well.

As we were sitting there, crying, a full crew showed up. After some fairly merciless harassment (of me) they transported Oso downtown with all their windows down.