Ride your bike! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ride your bike!

mac66
05-11-2012, 15:27
Hey, get your bike out and ride that thing. I've been on a diet for the last 5 weeks (lost 26 pounds so far) and have been riding my bike (Specialized Explorer) when ever I can. I am the fastest fat guy on the block (6'2" 274) down from 300lbs. I rode 15.5 miles today, 22 miles yesterday, 26 miles the day before and 14.7 the day before that. Trying to build up for a 178 mile bug out on my bike for late summer.

Stevekozak
05-11-2012, 18:12
Well, good for you to getting in shape and making your life better!! We all need to do that. Bikes hurt my uhm...stuff, so I don't ride anymore. I was in great shape when I did though. Well except for my aching..uhm.. stuff.

NMG26
05-11-2012, 18:55
Hey, get your bike out and ride that thing. I've been on a diet for the last 5 weeks (lost 26 pounds so far) and have been riding my bike (Specialized Explorer) when ever I can. I am the fastest fat guy on the block (6'2" 274) down from 300lbs. I rode 15.5 miles today, 22 miles yesterday, 26 miles the day before and 14.7 the day before that. Trying to build up for a 178 mile bug out on my bike for late summer.

Yup, I've been riding everyday for 8 years now. I don't ride excessively. Just to work and back, mostly. It is one of the healthiest choices I have made in my life.

wrenrj1
05-11-2012, 19:02

Good for you! I'm 32 lbs. down so far this year on a low carb/ walking and minor running regimen (I hate running). Fitbit has been a great help.

www.fitbit.com

Taphius
05-12-2012, 03:52
Got my bikesdirect (gravity liberty 1) bike on the 2th, only have ridden about 40 miles or so since I got it but im enjoying it. Much better than my heavy mtb for scooting along the road paths.

kimo
05-12-2012, 07:12
I have a streetstrider...an elliptical that you take on the road. 2 months, 69 pounds. 55 more to go.

I haven't been lifting at all and notice significant strength loss so I have to start that. Too much cardio can make you lose in a lot of ways.

Hour13
05-12-2012, 07:19
Well ok, but I'm lazy...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/Betty%20and%20Alice/100_3641.jpg
:animlol:

Seriously, congrats on dropping that weight OP!
:thumbsup:

Akita
05-12-2012, 14:00
When the bugs come out in force, I stop hiking the woods for fun and mtn bike them instead. Gary Fisher here.

Jake514
05-12-2012, 15:59
Congrats and great job on losing the weight and getting in better shape. I am the original owner of an old Fuji bike I got about 30 years ago and ride occasionally but have been riding more in the last few weeks.

In fact, I think I will be going out for a quick 15 miles tonight.

UneasyRider
05-12-2012, 15:59

I bought a couple of Trek Navigator 3.0's a couple of weeks ago to move my eliptical machine training outside. What a great idea! I love riding and I found a bike that my lower back can live with too.

Since we are talking about weight... I started dieting at New Years and had lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months then I got stuck. So I sucked it up and joined weight watchers and in my first 2 weeks I lost 2.2 and 3.2 pounds each! I am a new guy to the WW program but I follow instructions very well so I am hoping to keep losing ANY amount of weight, but I am working towards 195 which is 40 more, I am 6'3" so I'm not as fat as it sounds.

FireForged
05-12-2012, 18:04
Well ok, but I'm lazy...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/Betty%20and%20Alice/100_3641.jpg

Dig'n the 5 liter fox body stang!

Warp
05-12-2012, 18:10
I personally find that the risk of being seriously injured or killed by a motorized vehicle is too high.

Part of this, of course, has to do with the roads, etc, that you use. On my roads...definitely not going out on a bike.

Just make sure you wear the vest for visibility!

wrenrj1
05-12-2012, 18:30
Well ok, but I'm lazy...

Only took to post #7...Here's my new ride 2012 KLR 650. It's exercise just getting on the beast...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/wrenrj1/2012-03-17_19-07-24_634.jpg

leeward419
05-13-2012, 06:15
Merlin, GT and Paramount here, when Im not at the range, im either at work or riding;
best thing I bought recently was cycleops trainer for winter and those days where its raining to hard to ride
Good luck and enjoy

PS Wrenj1
Like your Kawasaki, dont know why, but I stopped at the Kawasaki Dealer last week to look at a ninja, but the onroad/offroad caught my eye.........wife is not enthused...but well see! Nice bike man!!

pugman
05-13-2012, 07:19
If you have dropped 26#'s in 5 weeks you are definitely hitting the bike.

I've been training for a Tough Mudder coming up in September and have been going to the gym 4-6 times a week since October. On my Cardio days (Rule #1) I burn anywhere from 1000-1500 calories per the machine. I would never had described myself as fat but I am short. I was 5'7 and about 195#. Now I'm about 185 but muscle weighs more than fat

Since you describe yourself as fat want to know a little secret?

Keep up what you are doing now and you can pretty much eat whatever you want. At 42, my metabolism has definitely increased. Of all my vitals during my physical a few weeks ago (bp, cholosterol, sodium, etc) the only one not in the "where we want you to be" zone was my sodium since I'm sweating like a pig. A homemade Gatorade mix will fix that.

Watch Doomsday preppers and you notice few if any of these people have any sort of workout regiment. If the world ends tomorrow, no problem with a little extra fat on you...but some of those folks are taking that to the extreme.

Hour13
05-13-2012, 08:18
Dig'n the 5 liter fox body stang!

Thanks man! :thumbsup: That one doesn't get out much. Lol, my need to drive it is in a constant battle with my desire to NOT let it hit 100K miles. Sitting at about 96K right now though, so it's only a matter of time...

:crying:

Babynine
05-13-2012, 10:00
A couple months ago I was watching some Kifaru vids on thier YouTube channel "KifaruTube" and saw they were using mountain bikes with single-wheeled trailers with active coil suspension. The bike trailers handled weight very well off-road and bounced around very little with HUGE loaded packs in them.

I did a little looking around and the trailers are actually named the "Bob Ibex" and are sold at REI. They appear quite amazing in downhill mountain biking action, but Im too dumb to post links. I have never seen them in person, but if they work for the Kifaru guys....

gimmejr
05-13-2012, 12:12
Went biking yesterday, go a flat towards the end and walked the last 1.5 home. Need to buy a repair kit this week, same thing happened to me last year while riding.

Berto
05-13-2012, 12:22
I'm more a dirt guy, but I have some road bikes too.

Some of the gun folks can't appreciate bicycles, but they are missing out.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9443/everything034.jpg

humanguerrilla
05-13-2012, 12:42
A couple months ago I was watching some Kifaru vids on thier YouTube channel "KifaruTube" and saw they were using mountain bikes with single-wheeled trailers with active coil suspension. The bike trailers handled weight very well off-road and bounced around very little with HUGE loaded packs in them.

I did a little looking around and the trailers are actually named the "Bob Ibex" and are sold at REI. They appear quite amazing in downhill mountain biking action, but Im too dumb to post links. I have never seen them in person, but if they work for the Kifaru guys....

http://www.rei.com/product/722506/bob-ibex-plus-fs-trailer

jdavionic
05-13-2012, 12:59
I commute via bike when weather permits. It's about 10 miles each way. Just make sure you have a lot of lights and reflective gear. We just had a guy get hit, fall into traffic, and then run over several times. He didn't survive and leaves behind two kids and a wife. Sad news. Just be careful.

RWBlue
05-13-2012, 13:15
http://www.rei.com/product/722506/bob-ibex-plus-fs-trailer

I want a trailer. So far I have not found the one for the price I am willing to pay.

I really want one large enough to carry a full backpack and/or rifle.

John Rambo
05-13-2012, 13:36

I ride my bike everywhere. Thursday I rode it over 150 miles Probably put a good 60 miles on it this weekend. I agree, its important to ride it and become proficient in the operation of it so when it comes time to bug out, you're not fumbling around trying to get out alive.

1900ccs of ICE helps, also. :wavey:

Lone Kimono
05-13-2012, 18:00
Good for you, mac66! You've inspired me to pump up my tires and give it a shot.

RWBlue
05-13-2012, 19:21
Went biking yesterday, go a flat towards the end and walked the last 1.5 home. Need to buy a repair kit this week, same thing happened to me last year while riding.

Screw the repair kit. Buy an extra tube. They don't cost that much.

The problem with patch kits is usually for me, if I have a flat, I will have another fairly soon after that. Additionally, sometimes the patch doesn't hold and I am back to taking everything apart again. It is much easier just to take the extra tube and go.

UneasyRider
05-13-2012, 20:01
Screw the repair kit. Buy an extra tube. They don't cost that much.

The problem with patch kits is usually for me, if I have a flat, I will have another fairly soon after that. Additionally, sometimes the patch doesn't hold and I am back to taking everything apart again. It is much easier just to take the extra tube and go.

After having a valve stem failure away from home last week I coudn't agree more... you can't fix that. I had a tube in my underseat bag with a couple of tire spoons and a CO2 cartridge or two. Felt good to be on the road in 10 minutes instead of walking home.

jdavionic
05-13-2012, 20:19
After having a valve stem failure away from home last week I coudn't agree more... you can't fix that. I had a tube in my underseat bag with a couple of tire spoons and a CO2 cartridge or two. Felt good to be on the road in 10 minutes instead of walking home.

I carry 2 spare tubes and a pump.

Bolster
05-13-2012, 20:27
Klein Pinnacle here.

Old school aluminum. I love this bike. So light, sturdy, stable. So few moving parts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HYwqH0yAYHA/S6YqM7awrkI/AAAAAAAABSk/Rf8kQgmr6EQ/s320/Klein-Pinnacle-15.jpg

doktor doom
05-13-2012, 20:39
I was a bike commuter for 7 years, and I really miss it. It really isn't practical for my new job or city.

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to get my fat ***** back on the bike, just for fun.

mac66
05-13-2012, 20:53
Was busy for a few days but was back on the bike today for 20 miles. My bike is a Specialized Expedition (not an Explorer in my OP) which is kinda of a "comfort" bike with kinda mountain bike tires on it. 21 speed with big cushy, shock adsorbing seat and spring loaded front forks. It has an adjustable handle bar tree so you can sit more upright. Mine is about 10 years old but I just bought my wife the woman's version and she has finally started riding with me. She did 14.6 miles with me on Friday.

Fortunately for me, There is a bike trail at the edge of my subdivision that I can ride to a park 3 miles away and then do the paved trails at the park out to the end and back. Very nice riding through the woods. Total round trip is about 15 miles. I can also ride another paved bike path the other way that goes to another park. That is a straight (more or less) shot of 11 miles to the front gate, another 2 miles to the point on the lake for a total of 13 miles or 26 round trip. Nearly all bike path, no road riding.

As I mentioned I am a big guy, currently at 275. I am not one of these skinny little bicycle jockies in their spandex suits. When you are my size, every direction is uphill and against the wind. I do however ride hard and try to push myself. I have noticed that as I have lost weight and have gained strength ( I am also weight lifting) I can go faster and and farther.

For those of you who don't ride because it too painful or because you are older, find yourself a "comfort" bike. They are a heck of a lot more comfortable to ride than the skinny seat, nut numbing, hunched over road or mountain bikes.

If an old fat guy can do it, so can you. Now get to it. ;)

Berto
05-13-2012, 21:13
There's a million different saddles out there in every imagineable profile too, you no longer have to fear 'baboon ass'.

NecoDude
05-13-2012, 21:14
I want a trailer. So far I have not found the one for the price I am willing to pay.

I really want one large enough to carry a full backpack and/or rifle.

Looking at the BOB Ibex, I think almost anyone with any mechanical ability could build something similar that would get you out of dodge with the gear you need. Just do it now and test before implementation.

RWBlue
05-13-2012, 22:11
Looking at the BOB Ibex, I think almost anyone with any mechanical ability could build something similar that would get you out of dodge with the gear you need. Just do it now and test before implementation.

I have talked to people who were using them for long distances. They are good. They may be the best thing on the market, but....there are issues.

There is the storage and transportation issues.

It is very long. This doesn't work as well for me as saddle bags for normal travel, but....saddle bags are do not carry as much as a full backpack.

I may get one, but I need to be sure I can make it work in my area first.

RWBlue
05-13-2012, 22:17
I was a bike commuter for 7 years, and I really miss it. It really isn't practical for my new job or city.

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to get my fat ***** back on the bike, just for fun.

What did you learn from commuting by bicycle?

I am now doing it a couple days a week. I haven't worked out all the kinks.

mingaa
05-13-2012, 22:28
Easy Racers Javelin #17. Disc injuries from earlier aggressive position diamond frame bikes pointed me to a recumbant. Forget bunny hops but the Javelin is a great ride. That and swimming have my 54 year old ass doing pretty well. IDPA is coming along and 3 gun is going to happen this year!! WOOT!

mac66
05-14-2012, 05:58
Easy Racers Javelin #17. Disc injuries from earlier aggressive position diamond frame bikes pointed me to a recumbant. Forget bunny hops but the Javelin is a great ride. That and swimming have my 54 year old ass doing pretty well. IDPA is coming along and 3 gun is going to happen this year!! WOOT!

Recumbents are pretty cool. If you really want comfort and easy to use look at a recumbent tricycle called Terratrike. My older brother (he's 59, I'm 57) bought one (8 speed Rover) to play with. It is a lot of fun to ride and very, very comfortable. You could ride it all day long.

http://www.terratrike.com/

RWBlue
05-14-2012, 07:55
Recumbents are pretty cool.

It looks like fun, but I am not sure how good it would be for S&P.

I could be wrong, but....
No trailer?
No saddle bags?
Large item to pack in a vehicle?
Doesn't fit on a bicycle rack?
Non-standard parts so if it breaks it is done for?
Low to the ground so it is hard to see by cars?
Wide so there are places I go on a regular bike it can not go?
Not really meant for off paved bicycle trail?
Not meant for high speeds down hill in a huricaine?

If I am wrong, you can tell me to get bent.:wavey:
Part of me would love one of them. Especially on very windy days.

UneasyRider
05-14-2012, 08:05
I carry 2 spare tubes and a pump.

I carry a pump too! My wife carries the same setup as I do, I multi bike tool, tire spoons, tube, patch kit, CO2 and a pump. Our tires are hard sidewall puncture resistant too.

Bought these bikes on purpose for there on/off capabilities and toughness. Good bike if you can't drive.

mac66
05-14-2012, 12:28
It looks like fun, but I am not sure how good it would be for S&P.

I could be wrong, but....
No trailer?
No saddle bags?
Large item to pack in a vehicle?
Doesn't fit on a bicycle rack?
Non-standard parts so if it breaks it is done for?
Low to the ground so it is hard to see by cars?
Wide so there are places I go on a regular bike it can not go?
Not really meant for off paved bicycle trail?
Not meant for high speeds down hill in a huricaine?

If I am wrong, you can tell me to get bent.:wavey:
Part of me would love one of them. Especially on very windy days.

LOL, you are right in many respects. Not ideal for bugging out. You can however mount racks on them, plus you can hold stuff in your lap, cuz your sitting down :supergrin:.

Low is more stealthy but if you want to be seen, put one of those orange flags on it. If you are really a badass you can use a pirate flag.

Wide is good, easier to run bad guys down with.

In regards to high speed down hill in a hurricane, I think that's probably what they do best. It would be my first choice in that situation over a conventional bike. Pretty darn stable platform. Heck I bet you could even shoot from one without falling over.

Hummer
05-15-2012, 00:08
I used to ride a lot including long distance trips. I was training for a bike trip to Alaska, riding up steep mountain canyons when I damaged cartilage in my knees. I had to stop biking but took the AK trip on a BMW motorcycle. The knee issue went away after 8 years.

Fast forward a few decades, I need more exercise and had a yearning to ride again. Three weeks ago I put new tires on my old Allegro road bike, gave it a tune up and started riding. Also bought a new mountain bike, just an entry level machine but it's pretty sweet. I've been riding every day, having fun and getting stronger. If I survive, it'll be good for me. :supergrin:

Here's my new Giant Revel 1:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Vehicles/Giant-Revel-1.jpg

mac66
05-15-2012, 06:31
Whether you intend to bug out on a bike or not, bike riding is pretty good low impact exercise. It is also a good way to explore your town and the outskirts of town.

I rode another 18 miles yesterday and am going to do another 20+ miler today.

BTW, When I was riding a couple week ago I ran across a garage sale and ended up buying a $100 Mossberg 500 and a two compound bows for $30. Of course I had to ride home to get some money and the car but it was a good deal.

Stevekozak
05-15-2012, 19:44
BTW, When I was riding a couple week ago I ran across a garage sale and ended up buying a $100 Mossberg 500 and a two compound bows for $30. Of course I had to ride home to get some money and the car but it was a good deal.
Dang! That is pretty sweet!! I may have to take up riding again!!

Berto
05-15-2012, 19:52
They do make a gun rack for bikes, too.:supergrin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLNCcju9Yyw/TFhbaIF7N4I/AAAAAAAABXU/f37AAgaS7f0/s1600/Swedish+milit%C3%A4rcykel+Gun+Rack.jpg

RWBlue
05-15-2012, 21:04
They do make a gun rack for bikes, too.:supergrin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLNCcju9Yyw/TFhbaIF7N4I/AAAAAAAABXU/f37AAgaS7f0/s1600/Swedish+milit%C3%A4rcykel+Gun+Rack.jpg

I have a hard enough time riding with my gun between my legs. I wouldn't want to add a machine gun also.

Berto
05-15-2012, 21:08
They make 'em for the handlebars, in that case.

RWBlue
05-19-2012, 18:35
You people SUCK. I was out riding today and had my first flat in more than 700 miles and it killed my tire.:steamed: This is what I get for telling people what to carry and how to fix a flat.....:miff:

Long story cut short, I am glad I had a spare tube, but I wish I had a square of nylon to fix the hole in the tire.

leeward419
05-20-2012, 05:27
RW Blue, take an old tire and cut some sections out of it, carry them in your bag. You can place these inside the tire if you get a large whole and protect the tube. This will get you back home where you can replace the tire

RWBlue
05-20-2012, 11:42
RW Blue, take an old tire and cut some sections out of it, carry them in your bag. You can place these inside the tire if you get a large whole and protect the tube. This will get you back home where you can replace the tire

I am running a mountain bike. Old tires too thick, but the tube may work.

A killed tire is a new one for me.

Hummer
05-20-2012, 15:45
Just curious, were you using kevlar tire liners?

RWBlue
05-20-2012, 16:17
Just curious, were you using kevlar tire liners?

Forté Gotham Road and MTB Tires

The back tire had a lot of wear. I was thinking about rotating the front and back, but.....

I like them. It is a compromise tire. Slicks would be more vulnerable and need to be replaced more often. Knobbies have more drag. I wouldn't want to run either one on wet roads. So I went for a compromise.

The cut was in between the larger tread. It was just bad luck.

I picked up a new one today. I don't see any way of repairing the old one and I don't see a reason to keep it. It is just a small cut, but.....

PlasticGuy
05-20-2012, 20:14
I am lucky enough to have a gym at work, and use it almost every day. I also hike a small local mountain with one of my dogs a couple times each week, and run occasionally. I have also started going to Crossfit once every week or so. I'm not the best at anything, but overall I am in pretty good shape.

One thing I have noticed in the last few years is that diet is getting more important. The formula used to be 25% diet and 75% exercise. It is just about reversed now. I can't work out enough to stay lean if I don't eat right. I'm not extremely strict but I keep portions small, cut carbs and fat, and eat lots of protein and vegetables.

Hummer
05-22-2012, 17:59
After cutting blowdown trees and hauling slash all day I took a ride up the road to Brainard Lake and the Indian Peaks Wilderness. The road is still closed to cars so only hikers and a few bikers. Perfect weather. Spring is happening in the high country with birds singing in the spruce and willows. I biked all the roads and wore myself out. Here's some views from 10,250 ft. of the Indian Peaks and Mount Audubon on the right.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Vehicles/Giant-Revel-1-Indian-Peaksview.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Vehicles/Giant-Revel-1-Brainard-Lake.jpg

leeward419
05-24-2012, 04:47
RW
Find an old large size road tube from a hybrid, I carry small sections of tire for both my mountain bike and road bike, They will fit inside the tire where it is slit, and tube sticking out, this will get you home. Ive had to do this on both type bikes over the years. It beats the hell out of walking expecially when you are miles from home.

You could also write an email to a EPDM roofing mfg and request a sample on their website, they will send you a single ply sample about 4 x 4 inches, good stuff. They routinely have a checkbox on their websites where you can requestthis, they send out thousands. Try Tremco or google. Ask for a 90mil sample

mac66
05-24-2012, 16:37
Just got back from 7 days of vacation with lots of bike riding. Went up to Mackinac Island (northern Michigan) and stayed at a bed and breakfast. MI is a resort island that does not allow cars. It is full of Victorian mansions, houses and old/cool hotels and B&Bs. You either walk, ride a bike or a horse/buggy/wagon. Cars have been banned on it since 1895. It is pretty awesome and has lots of trails around and through the island to ride. My wife and I did a lot or bike riding in 4 days. We then went to over to the Lelenau Peninsula and stayed at another B&B near Sutton's Bay for 3 days. Lots more bike riding (and winneries) It is wine country there. We would typically ride 20+ miles in the mornings and the wineries in the afternoons. Tough schedule but someone has to do it. :supergrin: