"Pocket Gun" Journey Has Halted HERE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Pocket Gun" Journey Has Halted HERE

doc540
05-11-2012, 20:58
Colt D frames, Smith J frames, Taurus Slims, LC9's, etc, etc.

Both LC9's (mine and the Mrs) unceremoniously dropped mag's mid string, so they got sold pronto.

MrsDoc now totes a Kahr CW9 (she has a little more room with purse carry) while my SmartCarry hides a CM9.

Yet to find anything I don't like:

well made
well designed
compact
narrow
excellent trigger and action
accurate
cycles dependably
relatively inexpensive
9mm caliber
simple and durable

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Kahr%20CM9%20CW9/001-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Targets/KahrCM9.jpg

Angry Fist
05-11-2012, 21:00
Grab an AMT .40, chop it, and ream it to 10MM.

Berto
05-11-2012, 21:02
Taurus makes a 12ga pepperbox.

bac1023
05-11-2012, 21:08

:rofl:

doc540
05-11-2012, 21:10

Scantanium?

I'm in!:cool:

Cole125
05-11-2012, 21:19
Congrats! :cool: Kahr makes very nice pistols, my P380 is my EDC and I have nothing but good to say about it.

mingaa
05-11-2012, 21:24
I carry a CW9 most days IWB. Shoots very well and steady . Took a while to find the match. I now have a Taurus 709 that is just a bit smaller and configured so that i am able to pocket carry it in cargo pants and jeans. Have yet to try slack. Mag #2 sits in the Wrangler watch pocket or about anywhere in cargos.

rilkil23
05-11-2012, 22:06
Lc9 guy here and I too use the smartcarry. Best way to conceal the smaller guns that I've found.

dnuggett
05-11-2012, 22:06
Congrats. Still won't let go of my 442 though. :cool:

Mercedesrover
05-12-2012, 04:34
I usually back pocket carry my little guns and had a Kahr at one point. The take-down lever on the Kahr always bit my butt so I didn't keep mine long. Plus, the company is owned by the Moonies. Creepy.

Bob Hafler
05-12-2012, 05:14
My EDC pistol is a PM9 and yes they are very nice pistols.

ronin.45
05-12-2012, 07:42
Good choice, Doc. I've always liked Kahrs.

doc540
05-12-2012, 10:36
Plus, the company is owned by the Moonies. Creepy.

I think I'm being assimilated into the cult.

While shooting my Kahr I realized I had this moonie-like grin on my face.:shocked:

Cole125
05-12-2012, 12:38
I usually back pocket carry my little guns and had a Kahr at one point. The take-down lever on the Kahr always bit my butt so I didn't keep mine long. Plus, the company is owned by the Moonies. Creepy.

Yeah well Kahrs are made in America by Americans, regardless of who owns the company. Some of the best conceal carry pistols on the market.

deputy tom
05-12-2012, 12:53
Kahr makes nice pistols. I recently purchased a CW9 and have been experimenting with carry options. Good shooting Doc. tom.:wavey:

Bruce M
05-12-2012, 13:38
:rofl::rofl:

OP Glad to hear you are pleased with your Kahrs.

Berto
05-12-2012, 13:52
You can carry them to your mass marriage.:supergrin:

Kalmah
05-12-2012, 15:10
Lately there have been a lot of people around here going nuts over the S&W Shield. Not sure why all the excitement, Kahr has it beat in every possible way.

My PM9 has been my pocket gun for six years.

coq
05-12-2012, 15:16
Lately there have been a lot of people around here going nuts over the S&W Shield. Not sure why all the excitement, Kahr has it beat in every possible way.

+1... Mine for several years as well. Nothing bad to say. Shield looks cool, but quite a bit larger than the PM9. When I'm dressed so I can carry larger, I usually go with a double-stack (G33) for a little more capacity.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-12-2012, 15:27
Cool. I often carry a PM9 myself :)

cowboy1964
05-12-2012, 15:28
Can you imagine a Glock in the size/weight of the PM9? Kahr would be out of business.

cowboy1964
05-12-2012, 15:29

In your opinion. There are several things about PM9s I don't like. The only thing really going for it is the size.

cowboy1964
05-12-2012, 15:31
Yeah well Kahrs are made in America by Americans, regardless of who owns the company.

Funny, that's usually a negative when it comes to firearms. Sigs come to mind.

Kalmah
05-12-2012, 16:07
In your opinion. There are several things about PM9s I don't like. The only thing really going for it is the size.
Actually, the Shield is closer in size and much more comparable to the P9/CW9. The PM9 is considerably smaller.

And yes, in my opinion, I don't see any advantage to the Shield, and I don't understand the excitement it's generating.

MLittle
05-12-2012, 16:08

I love new guns to, but don't understand all the excitement about the Shield either. At 19 oz, it weighs just about the same as a Glock 26, but has half the capacity. Sure, it's a little thinner, but I wouldn't call it a great advance. Plus, the 26 has been in the marketplace for years and is well respected as a reliable, durable firearm. People must have money to burn.....you see them line up to plunk down their dough for a brand new, untested pistol.......I don't get it.

Cole125
05-12-2012, 16:38

I could not agree more. The Shield is probably a good gun but if you want a small single stack 9mm the PM9 is no question a better option.

Kahr did have some issues with their polymer guns early on which have been resolved, but those issues somewhat tarnished Kahrs reputation it seems.

jhmayhem
05-12-2012, 19:54
Thanks for the quick review, I am pretty much sold on the Kahr CM9 for my next carry pistol for a little while now. I had been a fan of Kahr pocket 9s for a while now ever since I shot my brother's Kahr MK9, but had always been a bit turned off at the price. With their more economic Kahr CW9s and CM9s released over the past few years I now have no reason not to get one.

Reb 56
05-13-2012, 00:17
I love new guns to, but don't understand all the excitement about the Shield either. At 19 oz, it weighs just about the same as a Glock 26, but has half the capacity. Sure, it's a little thinner, but I wouldn't call it a great advance. Plus, the 26 has been in the marketplace for years and is well respected as a reliable, durable firearm. People must have money to burn.....you see them line up to plunk down their dough for a brand new, untested pistol.......I don't get it.

A lot thinner than a G26 more comfortable IWB than the Glock. I don't consider a Shield untested as it's basically a single stack M&P.

doc540
05-13-2012, 08:30
Thanks for the quick review, I am pretty much sold on the Kahr CM9 for my next carry pistol for a little while now. I had been a fan of Kahr pocket 9s for a while now ever since I shot my brother's Kahr MK9, but had always been a bit turned off at the price. With their more economic Kahr CW9s and CM9s released over the past few years I now have no reason not to get one.

Bud's $399 shipped :wavey:

tgmr05
05-13-2012, 09:38
The kahr is a good gun, smaller than the shield. The magazines leave a lot to be desired, however, due to their innate ability to dump rounds in your pocket/mag carrier and/or leave one round sticking straight up, causing multiple problems when reloading. For the first magazine, though, they are extremely tough to beat, once the gun is broken in. Probably one of, if not the best, last ditch, back up, pocket guns in 9mm, as long as you are not relying on the ability to carry/reload spare mags.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

took
05-13-2012, 10:53
Great choice on the Kahrs, even better shooting. Congrats

hogship
05-13-2012, 11:40
The magazines leave a lot to be desired, however, due to their innate ability to dump rounds in your pocket/mag carrier and/or leave one round sticking straight up, causing multiple problems when reloading.

I have had two Kahrs over the last dozen years, and this has never happened to me. This is the first time I've heard this complaint. I suspect the problem can be isolated to your particular magazines, and how you are handling them......or, a more likely possibility is your magazine carrier.

ooc

Bob Hafler
05-13-2012, 12:08
I have had two Kahrs over the last dozen years, and this has never happened to me. This is the first time I've heard this complaint. I suspect the problem can be isolated to your particular magazines, and how you are handling them......or, a more likely possibility is your magazine carrier.

ooc
Same here I've never had any problems with my PM9. Kahr's are good carry pistols. Glocks are more duty pistols.
I own both a Glock 26 and a PM9. If I was going to get the gun filthy dirty I'd carry the glock but for EDC I like the Kahr.

oldman11
05-13-2012, 12:22

Because I'm looking into these small pocket types, just how does Kahr beat Shield in every possible way? Without being able to shoot either or both of them first, any input would be appreciated.

Cole125
05-13-2012, 12:37
The kahr is a good gun, smaller than the shield. The magazines leave a lot to be desired, however, due to their innate ability to dump rounds in your pocket/mag carrier and/or leave one round sticking straight up, causing multiple problems when reloading. For the first magazine, though, they are extremely tough to beat, once the gun is broken in. Probably one of, if not the best, last ditch, back up, pocket guns in 9mm, as long as you are not relying on the ability to carry/reload spare mags.

I have not had any issues carrying spare magazines for my Kahr P380.

Cole125
05-13-2012, 12:41
Because I'm looking into these small pocket types, just how does Kahr beat Shield in every possible way? Without being able to shoot either or both of them first, any input would be appreciated.

The Kahr CM9 is smaller in everyway than the Shield, has a better trigger, and no manual safety(good thing for a last ditch SD gun). Shield has the Kahr beat on capacity by one round on magazine capacity though.

Go to a gun store that has both and handle them.

ShaneS
05-13-2012, 14:07
I just bought a Shield I really like and am picking up a CW9 tomorrow night. Keeping and carrying both.

tgmr05
05-13-2012, 14:08

ooc

If you have not experienced the problem, you are fortunate. The magazine design did not change in any of the 9mm Kahrs I tried. I still like the kahr, just not the mags. They work in the gun just fine, and if they work for you in your pocket, great. If you do a little searching, you will find I am not the only one, nor is it just the 30 or so magazines I tried. The problem, while annoying, can be worked around, somewhat, so I would not give up on kahr over it. They are great guns.

ShaneS
05-13-2012, 14:21
Shield over G26 - $399 and thinner, single stack. Good steel highly visible sights.

My Kahr CW9 is getting a Trijicon front night sight ASAP. I may also get a CM9 eventually.

I had an early Ruger LC9 briefly. The trigger pull was long and heavy. Field stripping it was difficult as the gate wouldn't go down easily. I also disliked the non-working slide release lever. It was reliable, however.

The Shield is built stronger, more robust. The Shield has a metal guide rod. The slide release lever works. The trigger is better.

tgmr05
05-13-2012, 14:40
Here is one discussion, for those who have never heard about it. Again, while it is a reality, it is not an issue of the magazines failing in the gun, merely dumping rounds in pocket carry and mag carriers. I would still carry a kahr, if I did not have other choices on hand. It is a very nice gun.

http://kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-143.htmlhttp://kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-143.html

Once, during a weekend competition at a local range, I had three rounds stripped out while pulling from a ballistic nylon pouch, and then the top round popped out into the magwell during insertion, resulting in not being able to fully insert magazine, and taking a few seconds to sort it out. Not exactly a confidence builder, for me, personally. And definitely not the first time a 9mm mag had rounds stripped.

Dandapani
05-13-2012, 15:05

Wrong

Kalmah
05-13-2012, 15:24
The PM9/CW9 is considerably smaller than the Shield and is much better suited to be a pocket pistol. So the advantage goes to Kahr if you're looking for a pocket pistol.

But as I mentioned in a previous post, the Shield is closer in size to the P9/CW9, so that's the more accurate comparison. When compared to the P9/CW9, the Shield is heavier, it's larger in overall dimensions, but has a shorter barrel. So again, the advantage goes to Kahr.

I suppose it could come down to ergonomics. Some people may just find the Shield more comfortable in the hand or easier to shoot. If that's the case, then a little extra weight or size probably isn't a big deal to them.

ColdSteelNail
05-13-2012, 16:06
Congrats. My PM9 is my new ccw. Over 600 flawless rounds and so easy to conceal.
Kahr makes a great product.

Oh yeah I sold my Gen4 23 because my limp wrist was causing brass to the face. It doesn't seem to matter with my Kahrs.

tpr7304
05-17-2012, 06:40
Doc,

What kind of basepad is that on your mag?

doc540
05-17-2012, 08:15
Doc,

What kind of basepad is that on your mag?

HA! Good eye!

I shaved just a hair off the top of a 7 round plastic basedpad.

Now it seats deeply enough to engage and drops freely.

Gives just a tad more grip, and I needed a tad more since that little 9 is a bit snappy.

(and be sure and keep the plastic base lock with the plastic basepad)

ShaneS
05-17-2012, 12:15
I just bought a CW9 and liked it so well that I have a CM9 on order for pocket/ankle carry. They are a great value.

jokon
05-17-2012, 12:19
Can you imagine a Glock in the size/weight of the PM9? Kahr would be out of business.

Ah, S&W 9mm Shield.

doc540
05-17-2012, 17:44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Size%20Comparisons/sizecomparison1.jpg

SIG P290, Ruger LC9, Diamondback DB9, Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, Bersa Thunder UC9 Pro, Taurus Slim, S&W Shield

(thanks to original photographer)

wjv
05-17-2012, 21:36

Actually I believe it is owned by the son of the guy who runs the moonies, and there is no association between the company and the moonies other than that.

BamaTrooper
05-18-2012, 13:48
Congrats. Still won't let go of my 442 though. :cool:

Everyday carry...mostly an ankle gun, but often in an Alabama Holster Pocket Holster.

doc540
05-18-2012, 13:51
Everyday carry...mostly an ankle gun, but often in an Alabama Holster Pocket Holster.

I mean, if you're gonna carry a revolver, at least carry a Dick. :wavey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Cobra%202/DSCN3682-1.jpg

BamaTrooper
05-18-2012, 13:53
I mean, if you're gonna carry a revolver, at least carry a Dick. :wavey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Cobra%202/DSCN3682-1.jpg

Altering a Colt is sacrilege.

doc540
05-18-2012, 13:57
Altering a Colt is sacrilege.

Cry me a river. :tongueout:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Fitz%20Specials/fitz7.jpg

GlockFish
05-18-2012, 14:29

Are they the ones who give out flowers at airports?
I wonder why they haven't started giving out Kahr Arms catalogs?

BamaTrooper
05-18-2012, 14:40

Exceptions can be made for Fitz Specials:tongueout:

Metal Angel
05-18-2012, 18:36

This gun is so cool in ways I can't even express.

TNGlockman
05-18-2012, 18:54
I think the CM9 with the Crimson Trace laser-grip is the perfect CCW...it's what I carry!

doc540
05-19-2012, 17:23
This gun is so cool in ways I can't even express.

I agree.

Here's an even cooler pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Fitz%20Specials/fitz6.jpg

JrFreak
05-19-2012, 18:19
My main summer carry is a PM9 with a CT laserguard... It's a great gun.

JrFreak
05-19-2012, 18:21

Yep. I'd LOVE to have a single stack Glock in 9mm that was about the size of the Kahr.

WarEagle32
05-19-2012, 23:20
The Weight of the shield doesn't scare me at all. That weigh is just fine. Its just that the size of the shield by volume is large. I love my Sig 290 much more than I did my Pm9 Kahr. Put a 290 right next to an LCP and you will see just how small by volume it is, which is all that matters. The 290 has night sights standard as well as the ability to put an 8+1 mag. It is just a better overall gun in every way than the Kahrs, especially in the pocket book!

oldsoldier
05-20-2012, 11:52
I often carry my Kahr MK9. It's a little on the heavy side for it's size but shoots great. I don't consider it a pocket pistol though because of the weight.

RubiSCAR
05-20-2012, 13:08
Kahr MK9 elite in my pocket right now.