Remington Model 700 problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 700 problems

DonD
05-12-2012, 07:31
Some months ago, perhaps even a year or more, there was a good bit of publicity in the gun accuracy challenged media about what I'd call accidental discharges of Model 700s caused by a so called faulty trigger.

Never heard how that ended up. Did the issue ever go to court or was the case dismissed? Any info would be appreciated. Don

Big Bird
05-12-2012, 07:52
Largely a non-issue. I believe Remington settled the cases without admitting liability. It was an economic decision.

It was overblown by the media. I'm not fond of Remington 700's but they have made millions of them and to have a few show up with defective triggers is a mathematical certainty given manufacturing tolerances and the possibility of human error. Nobody makes a perfect product. (not even Glock)

DonD
05-12-2012, 09:38
Thanks for the response, Big Bird. I had assumed from the outset that it was overblown, the media loves any opportunity to throw excrement at the shooting community. Don

OrygunGen4
05-12-2012, 10:38
I believe that Remington never settled or took "responsibility", however, they did change the stock trigger to the X-Mark Pro to silence critics. I purchase a 700 a few years back and it already had the X-pro installed.

Zombie Steve
05-12-2012, 12:45
If you watched the entirety of the hit piece, you would have seen at the end there was a call for guns to be regulated by the consumer product safety commission... clearly the point of the endeavor.

While there did seem to be some faulty guns I'd agree were accidental discharges, the thing was loaded with kitchen table gunsmiths and the "it just went off while I was cleaning it" crowd.

:freak:

K.Kiser
05-12-2012, 13:44
My Family has been shooting and building 700's for hunting since the mid 1970's building them for long range competiton since the early 1990's, and they are a fine weapon base... Never has an "accidental" discharge unless someone was monkeying with the trigger down below where a factory hunting trigger is meant to go...

A firearm discharging " by itself " is just a lie that the leftist media uses to give a firearm an evil mystique of ill doings, instead of labeling it as a piece of equipment which it is...

I remember a story they did about a guy's son that got shot while they were practice shooting, and the father stating that is Remington had fixed a known problem then his son would still be alive...
A sad story indeed but it seems no one ever asks the real questions like about the total and grotesque lack of firearm safety that takes place when a barrel is pointed at another human... Dang mean ol' guns just vibrate in the night wanting to kill innocent people, and those guns are especially evil in the court systems eyes when the name on the barrel is linked to a ****** load of $$$$$$$$$$$$$....