What is this crap on my J-frame?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is this crap on my J-frame??

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 10:12
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/93bd9c68.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/820d0b53.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/1be3e90b.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/8c377019.jpg

Received this wheel gun in a trade. Saw a few blemishes and figured it was something that could be scrubbed off. Well it's not that easy and when I tried using a soft plastic cleaning rod I noticed the clear finish was also rubbing off on the back of the gun near the grips.

The good news is that the grips cover up most of the marks. Any suggestions on how to remove this stuff? I've used Hoppes but to no avail. I assume I'll have to get the frame refinished. :(

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countrygun
05-12-2012, 10:22
"Du Bist Screwed"

from the looks of it that is a refinish job. appears to be corrosive, mild pitting almost.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 10:28
It's weird how someone would refinish this gun; it has a test fire date of 12/2009 lol. The other side is mint.

M&P15T
05-12-2012, 10:32
Are those the factory grips?

It looks like something in the grips doesn't like something in the metal frame finish.

Any chance the previous owner has massively sweaty hands?

countrygun
05-12-2012, 10:35
It's weird how someone would refinish this gun; it has a test fire date of 12/2009 lol. The other side is mint.

you asked

"I assume I'll have to get the frame refinished. :("

GoBigOrange
05-12-2012, 10:39
You probably won't be able to fix that. I wouldn't worry about it. It gives the gun character or what some might call "honest wear".

Baba Louie
05-12-2012, 11:01
A little finish meltdown... er, character, yeah that's the ticket. Character. Yeah. Sure.

S&W can sorta fix that, only to have it show up again, maybe, depending on your cleaner of choice. Did someone before you use some gunscrubber?

Kinda common the first couple years of production on the airweight/airlite j-frames IIRC. Finish peel. or... something.

Wyoming
05-12-2012, 11:05
Tagged

45caldan
05-12-2012, 11:21
A 642 I assume.
It looks like the clear coat has been compromised and the bare aluminum is oxidising. if it's a carry gun (and I assume it is) don't worry about it. Any gun you carry will show wear on the finish.

TxGun
05-12-2012, 11:24
Yep, from here it certainly appears that a strong cleaner of some sort reacted with the clear-coat on the alloy...who knows what the previous owner used on it?? It's going to have to be refinished, or you'll have to live with it. You might send pics to S&W and see what they say.

NDCent
05-12-2012, 11:35
Looks like the grip area that wasn't in the holster soaked up lots of fat guy sweat.

BBSRQ
05-12-2012, 11:40
If you feel comfortable answering, how much did you pay for it? I'm trying to decide on a value for mine.

countrygun
05-12-2012, 11:42
Looks like the grip area that wasn't in the holster soaked up lots of fat guy sweat.

Hmmm,..."Sniff test" yet?

faawrenchbndr
05-12-2012, 11:49
Some people's chemistry will break down the clear coat.
The previous owner was right handed and sweat a lot.
Contact S&W.....they will refinish it at no charge.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 11:51
Yeah these are factory grips. I also forgot to add that the frame is aluminum, not SS. I'm not sure what other product(s) we're used in it prior to me. Thanks.

fastbolt
05-12-2012, 12:09
Some folks have fairly caustic sweat.

I used to know a guy whose sweat could eat through bluing and etch a blued revolver just about literally overnight. :wow:

A former partner & I ordered brand new 642-1's factory-direct at the same time some years ago (armorer purchase program).

I carried and shot mine a lot, and he carried and shot his a little.

My original 642 has a pristine frame finish. As does my newer production 642-1, which has seen carry & range use.

His 642 looks like it was acid etched and is a nasty combination of mottled gray scale. Worse than the poster's pictures. His clearcoat has also been eaten away on the right side of the frame where his index finger rests outside the trigger guard (right-handed), and along the entire backstrap, as well.

S&W offers a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner. They may, or may not, inquire about that sort of thing when it involves a "warranty return". They've been known to refinish Airweights with finish issues.

FWIW, my friend left the nasty finish alone on his 642 (doesn't bother him) and carries the gun more often. I'd like to get him to shoot it more often, but that's the way it goes.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 12:10
Great info, thank you!

M&P15T
05-12-2012, 12:27
Yeah these are factory grips. I also forgot to add that the frame is aluminum, not SS. I'm not sure what other product(s) we're used in it prior to me. Thanks.

Could be that the aluminum in the frame has some sort of other metals that were accidently mixed in during the manufacturing process that is causing corrosion.

But, looking at where the crapola is, seemingly right where the grips meet the frame, it could also be that the previous owner had very sweaty hands, and funky, salty sweat, that caused the corossion.

Are the grips 100% rubber? Or do they have metal in them where they meet the frame?

Cwlongshot
05-12-2012, 12:33
I agree, its either simply sweat corrosion or a caustic chemical cleaner. I have seen similar frames caused by simple perspiration. As stated we are all a bit different and some peoples sweat is more "potent" than others... I'm leaning to sweat...

If a carry gun, leave it. It not likely it will change the functionality one bit. If you had to I'll bet S&W or a GS could refinish it for you...

CW

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 12:56
No metal in the grips (just the screw).

I'm shocked to hear about some peoples sweat; is it from their diet? Lol. Thanks all.

Bruce M
05-12-2012, 13:32
I was gonna say someone tried to clean it with Comet or maybe with Clorox, but I think I like the "fat guy sweat" theory better. For three single syllable words, it certainly paints an excellent although admittedly disturbing picture. I would have paid well south of 300 for that and then ignored the finish issue. Well maybe clean it with isopropyl alcohol to try and sterilize the fat guy sweat, then ignore it.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 13:37
Lol, done and done.

KentuckyPatriot
05-12-2012, 13:55
What others have said...clear coat reacting with either caustic sweat or cleaners.

I believe I read somewhere that the 642 cannot be refinished due to the aluminum frame...I might be wrong with that information. If it could be you might look into having it Cerakoted.

Perhaps S&W can bead blast it and clear coat it again to factory specs...

I have a 642 and use of Hoppes (I believe) began this same process around the trigger guard. changed to a polymer-safe cleaner and no further deterioration.

Berto
05-12-2012, 13:56
It's from sweat, I have it on my 325PD and 242.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 14:03
Berto was this gun also yours at one point too? Lol just kidding.

I will call S&W on Monday to see what can be done. Thanks again all.

Berto
05-12-2012, 14:05
Berto was this gun also yours at one point too? Lol just kidding.

I will call S&W on Monday to see what can be done. Thanks again all.

Yeah. I pee'd on that one.

:supergrin:

L Pete
05-12-2012, 14:06
This is oxidation on the aluminum frame due to condensation of humidity and perspiration when a firearm is carried into and out of a one temperature range to another. I.E., leaving an air conditioned automobile out into a hot humid atmoshere (i.e., the street, the driveway, the sidewalk, the garage......etc.), or leaving a warm house to out of doors in cooler weather or the reverse. I live in a humid clime, and this frequently happens when the grips are not removed and the frame is not wiped with oil. The moisture collects under the grips and just sits there and works on the finish of the firearm. I've noticed that this seems to happen much for frequently with rubber style grips as opposed to wooden style grips. I think that the wooden ones actually soak up the moisture, thusly protecting the finish better. I have had several stainless steel revolvers actually rust only under the Goodyears. I don't carry a revolver anymore, sticking with autoloaders, but if I start carrying revolvers again, I'll put wooden grips back on them and check the grip frame fairly frequently to eliminate the problem.

Berto
05-12-2012, 14:12
You can see a little of it on this 325PD, near the top rear of cyl frame.
It was on my hip during a wet MTB ride at Tiger Mt, had moisture and sweat exposure.
Surprisingly, it was over a period of hours too, it didn't take long for the oxidation to set in.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3670/jframes49andkitgun013.jpg

SCmasterblaster
05-12-2012, 14:30
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/93bd9c68.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/820d0b53.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/1be3e90b.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/8c377019.jpg

Received this wheel gun in a trade. Saw a few blemishes and figured it was something that could be scrubbed off. Well it's not that easy and when I tried using a soft plastic cleaning rod I noticed the clear finish was also rubbing off on the back of the gun near the grips.

The good news is that the grips cover up most of the marks. Any suggestions on how to remove this stuff? I've used Hoppes but to no avail. I assume I'll have to get the frame refinished. :(

Thanks all.

Is this a stainless-steel revolver?

FLIPPER 348
05-12-2012, 14:40
Could be that the aluminum in the frame has some sort of other metals that were accidently mixed in during the manufacturing process that is causing corrosion.

No accident as there are already 'other' metals there depending on the alloy type used. It has nothing to do with the clear coat reacting with anything but rather a poor job of top-caoting the aluminum in the first place.

What you are looking at is referred to as filliform corrosion, very common in older aircraft skins. If the affected are is covered by the grip just hit it with some Corrosion X or ACF-50 and rock on.

Bruce M
05-12-2012, 14:46
Yeah. I pee'd on that one.

:supergrin:
:rofl::rofl:

3rdgen40
05-12-2012, 16:30
Some people's chemistry will break down the clear coat.
The previous owner was right handed and sweat a lot.
Contact S&W.....they will refinish it at no charge.
Yep,been there and done that.They replaced the frame on mine.

KennyFSU
05-12-2012, 16:47
Lol Berto. Acid pee?

Thanks guys I will contact them next week.

M&P15T
05-12-2012, 17:13
No accident as there are already 'other' metals there depending on the alloy type used. It has nothing to do with the clear coat reacting with anything but rather a poor job of top-caoting the aluminum in the first place.

What you are looking at is referred to as filliform corrosion, very common in older aircraft skins. If the affected are is covered by the grip just hit it with some Corrosion X or ACF-50 and rock on.

If something like small bits of ferrous iron get into the aluminum (or alluminum alloy) during the casting process, it causes corrosion no matter how well the metal is maintained, how good of a finish there is on it. I know this from first-hand experience with a previous vehicle I owned. However, if it was this type of corrosion, the metal frame itself would be bubbling as the corrosion worked itself from the inside out.

It's just a guess, but I'd still think that the real problem was that the previous owner had some seriosuly funky/nasty sweat that caused the corrosion.

2-8 Marine
05-12-2012, 18:37

Thanks all.

Was this the previous owner?

FLIPPER 348
05-12-2012, 18:42
If something like small bits of ferrous iron get into the aluminum (or alluminum alloy) during the casting process, it causes corrosion no matter how well the metal is maintained .

Any aluminum alloy casting that had this happen would be from a very poor quality vendor. S&W products would not have this issue.

M&P15T
05-12-2012, 20:04
Any aluminum alloy casting that had this happen would be from a very poor quality vendor. S&W products would not have this issue.

Definitely.....it was a Ford aluminum hood that corroded!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Ceapea
05-13-2012, 07:55
Corrosion! Yep, the same thing happened to the aluminum wheels on my truck after several years (stone chips, replacing the tires, etc...). I hated the way it looked, kinda like your j frame there, but much worse.
I only deal in steel revolvers now, no alloy stuff. I have three steel j frames and none are too heavy for me.

Nakanokalronin
05-13-2012, 08:25
More than likely the result of the rubber grips trapping moisture. I had that on my 638 Airweight yet I've never seen it on any other gun I've owned (80+) in my lifetime. It's one of the reasons I stay away from rubber grips on metal framed guns.

Some of it wiped off my 638 but never went away completely so it wasn't 100% corrosion.

drizzle
05-13-2012, 09:53
I'll third sending it to Smith for refinishing. I called, they mailed a prepaid Fedex label to me, I sent it, and had it back less than 2 weeks later. Zero cost to me.

I'd think it was a new gun, except it's so smooth from all the dry firing I did before.

KennyFSU
05-14-2012, 15:12
I called S&W today and they would charge $157 to refinish the frame only. Does that sound like a good deal? It's also an 8 week turn-around time. Thanks.

NDCent
05-14-2012, 16:16
If that included shipping both ways I might consider it to have it looking new again, if the cosmetics bothered me. I'd probably just carry it EDC and not worry about it getting nicked or scratched, treat it like a tool instead of a play pretty. Those weren't really made to be lookers anyway.

ChicagoZman
05-14-2012, 16:27
If I was using it for EDC, I would leave it alone. Who's going to know?