What do you consider accurate? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider accurate?

auto-5
05-12-2012, 21:33
I guess I am not talking about a type of rifle/pistol but rather the size of target it should be able to hit. Growing up I was taught you needed to be able to hit a target the size of a paper plate in order to make an ethical kill. If you couldn’t hit that paper plate every time at 300 yards than yu shouldn’t be taking that long of shots.

countrygun
05-12-2012, 21:40
I was taught the same thing as it applies to large game animals. I have seen nothing to cotradict it yet.

My father used a piece of notebook paper (paper plates weren't that common in my youth)at about 125 yds. when I could place three consecutive shots solidly on it unsupported then I was ready to go hunting. But I was still expected to use a rest if possible in the field.

NeverMore1701
05-12-2012, 21:57
If I hit what I'm aiming at, it's accurate enough :supergrin:

ronin.45
05-12-2012, 22:00
Obviously accuracy is very dependent on weapon and range. I feel a person should be ably to cleanly place all shots inside an 8" circle at any distance they choose to shoot. I'm mostly a handgun guy so ranges are typically shorter. I can cleanly hit an 8" circle offhand out to 50 yards with almost every gun I own(snubbies are not normally shot this far).

auto-5
05-12-2012, 22:01
If I hit what I'm aiming at, it's accurate enough :supergrin:Well to an extent this is kinda what I am getting at. The range I go to is mainly a pistol range. Good for off hand shooting to but mainly pistols. Plenty of guys line up 15 yards away from full silhouette targets and blast away and call that practice. Hell i could throw the gun and be just as accurate at these lug heads.

smokin762
05-12-2012, 22:01
I guess I am not talking about a type of rifle/pistol but rather the size of target it should be able to hit. Growing up I was taught you needed to be able to hit a target the size of a paper plate in order to make an ethical kill. If you couldn’t hit that paper plate every time at 300 yards than yu shouldn’t be taking that long of shots.

Have you ever seen how big the targets are at the CMP Matches? They are way bigger than a paper plate.

In Ohio, we can't use a rifle for deer. We are limited to shotguns or Blackpowder rifles. I was taught you should be able to put all your rounds in a 6" pie plate at 75-100 yards.

With a rifle, I am not good as I want to be but I am working on it. Just not sure what that magic number is though.

a couple of years ago at a CMP event I scored in the 320's out of a possible 400 at 200 yards with iron sights. A 15 year old girl in the lane next to me, shot in the 360's. :faint:I felt like a dope.

FLIPPER 348
05-12-2012, 22:10
Have you ever seen how big the targets are at the CMP Matches? They are way bigger than a paper plate.

But you are not trying to make a clean/humane kill on a CMP target.

smokin762
05-12-2012, 22:13
But you are not trying to make a clean/humane kill on a CMP target.

True, but all shots do count. The tighter the group the better.

AK_Stick
05-12-2012, 22:16
Really depends on the purpose of the gun and how far I'm shooting.

My double rifles will do about a 3-4 inch composite group, at 100 yds. Thats pretty A-ok to me.

conversely, my bolt hunting gun, shoots in the 1/2 inch range at 100 yds.

for most of the rest, about 1 inch(ish) at 100 yds is the general rule of thumb.

Berto
05-12-2012, 22:43
IMO the 8" bull on a 100yrd target should determine my max range, whatever distance I can hit it at.

Reb 56
05-12-2012, 23:27
I consider 1 moa at 100 yds with a scoped Rifle in most any caliber to be gtg.
As for Pistols 3" to 4" is about the best I can do at 15yds.

Nestor
05-12-2012, 23:58
I'm usually using the small targets (like 2-3 inches) up to 10-15 yards and I'm really trying my best to make the hits. Most of the times I can hit those targets, but sometimes I can't.
However the smaller practice target helps a lot when I'm shooting my qualification on human silhouette size targets.
By then the target seems HUGE and I feel far more comfortable knowing its size. I feel no pressure on pin point accuracy.
For the long guns I'm not big on the optics (to say at least), so for me 75-100 yards is the limit even for the rifle.
I'm not planning to go any farther anyway.

8-Ball
05-13-2012, 00:06
Aim small, miss small.

I've never asked myself "am I accurate enough?" I've only told myself "I need to be more accurate".

Never settle for accuracy, you can always improve.

RedHaze
05-13-2012, 00:41
I always managed about a 8-10 inch group at the 500 yard line on the silouette. Once I got my windage dialed in. That was with the standard Marine Corps poodle shooter.

Handgunning, all depends on the gun. My old Hi Standard will constantly ring a 12 inch gong out to about 100 yards.

My glock, I can ring it maybe half that if I'm lucky.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Folsom_Prison
05-13-2012, 01:23

I agree with you!:supergrin:

Bruce M
05-13-2012, 05:17
I'm happy if I can walk to the hundred yard target without having to stop to go to the bathroom...

bac1023
05-13-2012, 05:25

Great point :supergrin:

byf43
05-13-2012, 07:29
My accuracy standards are very high.

Rifles - must be capable of hitting a paper plate at 200 yards or it's gone. (I strive to keep 5 shots inside the diameter of a 'clay pigeon' at 200 yds.) Most of my rifles will do considerably better than that.

Handguns - must be capable of grouping inside a fist sized area at 25 yards.

Archery - must be capable of grouping 3 shots inside of a styrofoam cup at 25 yards.

eracer
05-13-2012, 07:38
I want my rifles to shoot 2 MOA or better. The only one I regularly shoot that doesn't is my Garand - I forgive it for that. IT's really the main reason I'm going to sell my AKM. It drives me nuts to see 6" groups at 100 yards.

My handguns are purely self-defense, and I practice rapid-fire with them, so softball-size groups at 7 yards is fine with me.

JK-linux
05-13-2012, 07:54

ArmoryDoc
05-13-2012, 13:43
Expected rifle accuracy is consistently a dime at 25 yards. Handgun is a playing card at 25 yards.

ADK_40GLKr
05-13-2012, 14:54
What's Accurate?
For the gun from a solid rest:
-Rifle: 1" at 100 yards
-Handgun: 1" at 15 yards

For me, offhand: 8" diameter at same distances.

ColdSteelNail
05-13-2012, 15:20
Obviously accuracy is very dependent on weapon and range. I feel a person should be ably to cleanly place all shots inside an 8" circle at any distance they choose to shoot. I'm mostly a handgun guy so ranges are typically shorter. I can cleanly hit an 8" circle offhand out to 50 yards with almost every gun I own(snubbies are not normally shot this far).
Wow, that's way beyond me. I might put 1 or 2 rounds out of 10 in an eight inch circle at 50 yards, just might.

Cole125
05-13-2012, 15:28
It depends on the gun your shooting, the type of shooting your doing, and if your hunting the type of animal you are hunting. If you are hunting small varmints with say a .22 lr, you should be able to keep your shots within a 2 inch circle or smaller at whatever range you are shooting.

If your shooting a pocket pistol, your doing good to keep all your shots on a 5 inch shoot n see target at 10 yards.

TKM
05-13-2012, 15:35
Aim small, miss small.

I've never asked myself "am I accurate enough?" I've only told myself "I need to be more accurate".

Never settle for accuracy, you can always improve.

+1

I drive my girlfriend crazy with this.

She always shows up at the range with rolls of NRA wallpaper and I've got a couple of sheets of stick on bulls-eyes.

Bravo30
05-13-2012, 15:38
with a pistol i should be able to hit a man in the chest an in the head with a rifle ......thats all i expect out of any of my firearms.

glock2740
05-13-2012, 15:40
I don't own any bolt action hunting rifles that shoot worse than 1.5" MOA. I'm pretty picky when it comes to my bolt guns. All but one of them will shoot MOA or less, with their desired loads. The one is a M700 .30-06 and I just haven't expeimented with it enough yet to know what it likes, but it shoots most everything I've ran through it between 1.25"-1.75" MOA. I sold all of my semi-auto deer rifles, as they did not meet this criteria. My lever guns have a bit more wiggle room, as I would never hunt anywhere with them that would present a shot more than 100-150 yards. My lever action .30-30 is surprisingly accurate, but that round loses steam pretty fast after 100-125 yards. My .45-70 lever gun is, and will remain an open sight gun. Anything I would hunt with it, and where I would be hunting, would not present a shot farther 75-100 yards, if that. My hunting handguns will never get a longer shot than 50 yards, where I would be hunting with them.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-13-2012, 21:11

If we are talking deer, I agree 100% with you. All your shots should be in a 6" to 8" group (we can debate the exact size). And that's what should limit the distance.

Too many guys tell of the million yard shots they made to get a get a deer. But they don't ever talk about the misses or the woundings.

glockin-45
05-13-2012, 21:36
But not for hunting! If i can hit a paper plate every time at 25yrds for self defense i'm satisfied. For hunting at further distances you'd better be sure you can hit the kill zone, or else risk wounding and losing said animal to go off and die. Self defense, Hunting and Competition shooting can not be lumped together as what is accurate enough.

glockin-45
05-13-2012, 21:45
with a pistol i should be able to hit a man in the chest an in the head with a rifle ......thats all i expect out of any of my firearms.
+1, Me too!

glockin-45
05-13-2012, 21:47
I'm happy if I can walk to the hundred yard target without having to stop to go to the bathroom...
:rofl:

Scott3670
05-13-2012, 22:03
I'm happy when I can keep my groups fist-sized at 10-12 yards. I can hit 6" or 8" plates to 25 yards with little difficulty but I practice at distances that I would expect to be the farthest I would expect in a defensive scenario.

NeverMore1701
05-13-2012, 22:41
But not for hunting! If i can hit a paper plate every time at 25yrds for self defense i'm satisfied. For hunting at further distances you'd better be sure you can hit the kill zone, or else risk wounding and losing said animal to go off and die. Self defense, Hunting and Competition shooting can not be lumped together as what is accurate enough.

I aim at a 2x2" square when I hunt. If I hit it, it's accurate enough.

Folsom_Prison
05-13-2012, 23:05

:rofl: thankfully I don't have that problem.

GlockFish
05-13-2012, 23:55
Hunting accurate or defensive shooting accurate?

Hunting accurate? Don't shoot unless you're confident in a one shot kill. This will very with the person.

Handgun defensive accurate? Double tap a pie plate at 10 yards.

SigFTW
05-14-2012, 08:06
Hunting and target shooting are two different things for me. paper does not run off and bleed to death because of a bad shot.

I missed a doe with a 44 mag pistol at about 25 yards (or it resurrected and walked off:whistling:). The same gun I am on paper (about 18x18) at 100 yards open sight. It was my first time hunting with a pistol.

Now I just hunt with a bolt action rifle and a bow. With the bow I would only hunt out to 30 yards max. With the rifle I am comfortable only out to 100 to 120 yards because that is all I ever practices.

As for pistols, I like to see a nice group with no flyers, then I am happy.

Cwlongshot
05-14-2012, 08:22
Agree with most guys.

Good point, hunting and target are different "animals".

Different expectations from different calibers as well as different platforms.

Example, a run of the mill 22rf rifle should shoot 3" @ 100. But a Anshutz match rifle better do 1/4 that!! A Rem/Win/Ruger/Savage 223 std gun better shoot 1.5" @ 100 but a heavy barrel target gun with big scope and trigger work better shoot under 1/2" MOA. My open site 45/70 may do 2" at 100 but my custom '98 Mauser will do 3/4" each is perfectly acceptable. The 45/70 as a woods gun and the Mauser as a open country gun.

My pistols a custom 1911 better shoot 1" at 25 yards but a pocket pistol is Ok with 2" at 15'...

Archery, with a modern bow, When you can no longer hit a 8" circle every time you reached your max hunting range. In open terrain. This will likely be substantially less in the woods.

I too was taught the 6" circle thing for big game with a rifle/shotgun. I think it's still holds true. But today's shooter who has the $$ to buy or build good equipment can easily half that expectation.

CW