Anyway to run a serial # check on a gun im looking to trade for? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to run a serial # check on a gun im looking to trade for?

mindlogiczero
05-13-2012, 00:44
Looking to trade for another norinco mak90,

just wanted to see if its serial number could be checked by my local pd, atf or a possible leo on the site?

going to sell it eventually just want to make sure all is good with it and not stolen or anything.

Folsom_Prison
05-13-2012, 01:16
Is this a trade from another person or FFL?

Highspeedlane
05-13-2012, 04:41
I would call the local PD and ask them that. They would (hopefully) run the number for you to see if it pops up in any stolen property databases.

FL Airedale
05-13-2012, 04:57
The Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement provides a free search for stolen guns serial numbers.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

gunowner1
05-13-2012, 05:04
The Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement provides a free search for stolen guns serial numbers.

I have that site in my favorites. :supergrin:

packin23
05-13-2012, 05:46

Thanks for posting that link. Gonna save that in my favorites.:wavey:

VC-Racing
05-13-2012, 06:02
I call our Chief of Police or a Deputy friend of mine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MarcDW
05-13-2012, 06:08
While this is a good start, this link is only good for FL stolen firearms.
If it was stolen outside of FL it properly will not have it in the database.
If you have any reason to suspect the seller does not own the gun, call you SO, SP or PD.
Ask them if they could run the gun #.
Sadly, most will not!
Even more sadly, FFL don't get any serial numbers checked either.

Common sense is your best defense. If the deal is too good to be true ......
Ask the seller upfront for the serial number and tell him you always run these through a LEO contact.
If then the gun is right of a certain already sold, well that does not mean automaticly it was stolen. :whistling:

FL Airedale
05-13-2012, 06:38
While this is a good start, this link is only good for FL stolen firearms.
If it was stolen outside of FL it properly will not have it in the database.

You are probably right. I just emailed FDLE and asked them that question. I probably won't have the answer until Tuesday.

JRWnTN
05-13-2012, 08:49
I would call the local PD and ask them that. They would (hopefully) run the number for you to see if it pops up in any stolen property databases.

Very likely, you'll find that LE agencies won't check a serial number over the phone. If there is a "hit" because the gun is stolen, an officer will confiscate it as stolen and (hopefully) it will be returned to the owner.

grapony
05-13-2012, 14:42
This is the very reason I quit buying guns from unknowns. I got rid of all my unknown history guns years ago and repurchased new ones. I just don't wont to take a chance. Local pd will not run a number over the phone, they want you to come in and have it checked. What happens if you bring it in and have it checked and it comes up hot? You just might get arrested.

ijacek
05-13-2012, 15:43
Call local Law Enforcement agency on non-emergency number and ask for a officer/deputy to come out for "assist citizen" call. Then explain the situation and ask to check the S/N through NCIC, and whatever other database is available in your state. Should there be a problem with the gun, be ready to provide more information on the subject.

bustedknee
05-13-2012, 19:28
Get over it. :headscratch: Talk to the guy for 5 minutes.

If you feel it is stolen, walk away. :scared:

Otherwise, buy it. :impatient:

glockin-45
05-13-2012, 21:21
Call local Law Enforcement agency on non-emergency number and ask for a officer/deputy to come out for "assist citizen" call. Then explain the situation and ask to check the S/N through NCIC, and whatever other database is available in your state. Should there be a problem with the gun, be ready to provide more information on the subject.
Why would you do that. Dispatch is going to want to know why you need an officer, if he comes out he'd have to call the dispatcher to run the check, and i'd be pissed for you wasting my time. If the gun is legal the guy should have no problem meeting at the pd station run it and put it in your name,or else go to a gun shop and do it.