First Annual Lonestar Atheists Convention [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Lonestar Atheists Convention

Geko45
05-13-2012, 09:23
Ok, here it is. This thread is to plan a meetup somewhere, at sometime for all of the Texas resident athiests on the board (neighboring states welcome too, of course). If you're interested in attending then post here and we will try to find a location central to everybody.

void *
05-13-2012, 09:30
I'm definitely interested, although I may or may not be able to actually make it (my work schedule is not sane and I wouldn't want to make the scheduling and/or location be complicated/hard for other people just to ensure that I, one person, make it). I'm in Austin.

Davegrave
05-13-2012, 09:32
I'd come out and meet ya if I lived closer. :wavey:
I just got a headache reading the traditional marriage thread.

You and gunhaver have way more patience than I.

To constantly have someone respond to 2+2=4 with "You still fail to make a logical valid argument", 100 times in a row.... :faint:

If I could make it down...I'd buy you a beer. :cheers:

juggy4711
05-13-2012, 09:37
I may be off the reservation as a deist but I have more in common with the Atheists here and that sounds like fun. I'm on the Gulf Coast near Galveston. Too far north or west would be out of my range. But hey it's a big State depending on the distribution somewhere around central Texas might be feasible. Great idea Gecko.

juggy4711
05-13-2012, 09:41
I'm definitely interested, although I may or may not be able to actually make it (my work schedule is not sane and I wouldn't want to make the scheduling and/or location be complicated/hard for other people just to ensure that I, one person, make it). I'm in Austin.

Damn work. I never know if I have to work a weekend until Friday afternoon but If I had a weekend off I think it would be a blast.

Kingarthurhk
05-13-2012, 11:27
And they say it isn't a religion.:supergrin: Here we have see a corporate convocation.

Geko45
05-13-2012, 11:29
And they say it isn't a religion.:supergrin: Here we have see a corporate convocation.

Maybe we'll make up a holy book like they did at the Council of Nicea.

:tongueout: :wavey:

Kingarthurhk
05-13-2012, 12:19
Maybe we'll make up a holy book like they did at the Council of Nicea.

:tongueout: :wavey:

You already have one.

Chales Darwin, "Origin of the Species"

Geko45
05-13-2012, 12:35
You already have one.

Meh, not really, but thanks for playing! :wavey:

Back on topic, if you are interested, please be sure to outline your preferred dates (or at least list any that are out of the question). I'm assuming that some weekend will work for most people.

As for me, I got to a four day work week come June and July. So that expands me availability slightly. Do we want to try for a holiday weekend like Memorial Day or July 4th or just go with an ordianry weekend?

Kingarthurhk
05-13-2012, 13:08
Meh, not really, but thanks for playing! :wavey:

Back on topic, if you are interested, please be sure to outline your preferred dates (or at least list any that are out of the question). I'm assuming that some weekend will work for most people.

As for me, I got to a four day work week come June and July. So that expands me availability slightly. Do we want to try for a holiday weekend like Memorial Day or July 4th or just go with an ordianry weekend?

Are you going to have guest speakers at your corportate convocation?

Artificial Grape?

Animal Mother?:supergrin:

muscogee
05-13-2012, 13:17
I've got family obligations June 9-15. Probably doing things with grandchildren on July 4. Other than that, OK. Just don't pass the plate or sing "Just as I am". I can't do that again.

packsaddle
05-13-2012, 15:37
I'm a Christian and live in Texas.

I would like to attend your meeting, just to add some balance and objectivity to the discussion.

Unless you admit to not caring about objectivity and just want to sit around and pat each other on the back for being narrow-minded.

Let me know when and where via pm.

Thanks.

Guss
05-13-2012, 16:03

I would like to attend your meeting, just to add some balance and objectivity to the discussion.

Unless you admit to not caring about objectivity and just want to sit around and pat each other on the back for being narrow-minded.

Thanks.
Does your preacher allow objectivity in the pulpit? Maybe invite in a Muslim or Atheist now and then?

Lone Wolf8634
05-13-2012, 16:23
You already have one.

Wrong again. Thats a science text, not a holy book. Why, I'll bet there aint one "thee", "thou" or "sayeth" in that entire tome!!!:tongueout:

Thanks.

While I would be unable to attend ( The trip from Wyoming would be a bit much:crying:) I would have no objections.

Hell, I'd buy ya a beer!!:wavey:

Gunhaver
05-13-2012, 16:39
I'm way up north but I have a taste for long road trips by myself. No work issues since I'm my own boss and I have people to visit in KC, COMO and OKC along the way. If there's nothing important going on around the time that works best for everyone else I'll make the drive. I haven't been to Texas in 10 years but I'd like to meet most of you guys.

And everybody needs a name badge with their avatar picture on it so we know who's who.

Kingarthurhk
05-13-2012, 16:47
Does your preacher allow objectivity in the pulpit? Maybe invite in a Muslim or Atheist now and then?

Thanks.

To translate, they said, "We are a religious organization that claims not be a religion, and your imput in their particular denomination of Atheism is not welcome, because you are a heretic and are unworthy. They would also like you remind you that they are very open minded.":supergrin:

Lone Wolf8634
05-13-2012, 16:51
To translate, they said, "We are a religious organization that claims not be a religion, and your imput in their particular denomination of Atheism is not welcome, because you are a heretic and are unworthy. They would also like you remind you that they are very open minded.":supergrin:

Seems as though you missed (again) the only post to reply (so far) to Packsaddle.:dunno:

I'll post it again for your convenience:

While I would be unable to attend ( The trip from Wyoming would be a bit much:crying:) I would have no objections.

Hell, I'd buy ya a beer!!:wavey:

Altaris
05-13-2012, 17:04
I'm in Austin.

Me too (well, Round Rock technically.)

June 23rd weekend is busy for me, but I am pretty much free any other time.

Kingarthurhk
05-13-2012, 17:15
Seems as though you missed (again) the only post to reply (so far) to Packsaddle.:dunno:

I'll post it again for your convenience:

This was what I was referring to.

That was followed by your invitation. Like every church, you have the die hards who hate any outsiders, and yourself which is more the welcoming evangelical mindset.
:supergrin:

Ramjet38
05-13-2012, 18:14
Is concealed carry welcomed, and food afterwards?

void *
05-13-2012, 19:40
Me too (well, Round Rock technically.)

June 23rd weekend is busy for me, but I am pretty much free any other time.

We probably live fairly close. Hmm. I haven't been shooting in a while ...

Woofie
05-13-2012, 19:44
Certainly don't plan anything around me. I'm trying to squeeze a calc class into the summer so I will most likely be occupied all of June and July.

If it's at all possible I'd attend. It's tough to pass up an opportunity to drink.

muscogee
05-13-2012, 19:47
We could meet here (http://www.creationevidence.org/) if it's not too far for everyone. Austin would be an easier drive, but Houston wouldn't be good too.

void *
05-13-2012, 20:15
That was followed by your invitation. Like every church, you have the die hards who hate any outsiders, and yourself which is more the welcoming evangelical mindset.

To be perfectly honest - I've been to a few atheist social-type gatherings (there's a group here in Austin that has a pub night, I've been to it a few times) - and most of the conversation in those has nothing to do with theology or atheism. Some of it is. A lot of it isn't. Sometimes there are some fairly intense (but not unfriendly) disagreements (Someone bringing up the teleporter thought experiment, or something like it, tends to precede those). But for the most part it's just people hanging out together the way anybody would - it is *quite unlike* a church.

What would you think if you decided to go out for a beer with a few of your Christian buddies, and somebody decided they needed to hang along with you just in case you started talking about God and said something they disagreed with? That's pretty much how I view packsaddle's "add some balance and objectivity" comment. He's making presumptions about what will be discussed.

That said, I'm quite willing to discuss anything with anybody, in person, if they're not the type to become a jerk about it. Other people's mileage and opinions may vary.

Lone Wolf8634
05-13-2012, 20:32
This was what I was referring to.

Oh brother..:faint:

But no worries, I'd buy you a beer too.:supergrin:

muscogee
05-13-2012, 20:56

Thanks.

I doubt you would bring any balance or objectivity and I don't think you could take the heat in person.

ArtificialGrape
05-13-2012, 21:08
I recommend that the only criteria for attendance be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

-ArtificialGrape

Paul7
05-13-2012, 21:16
You already have one.

I prefer the unabridged title:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.

ArtificialGrape
05-13-2012, 21:25
I prefer the unabridged title:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.

Why, do you perhaps not understand how the word "races" was used?

-ArtificialGrape

Geko45
05-13-2012, 21:48
I recommend that the only criteria for attendance be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

-ArtificialGrape

Agreed. No personal offense to our thiest board members, but your presence would either impose an uncomfortable restriction on our conversation (as not to offend) or worse, result in an in-person verbal confrontation in the same manner that often occurs here.

Think of it this way, you (as theists) have every Sunday to enjoy the company of like minded folk. We (as athiests), seldom get that chance.

As for the get together itself, I'd like to propose a venue for our meet and greet. I'd be willing to host it here at my place on Lake Conroe. If it were just a few of us then my house could accomodate. If the event grows in number then the club house here in my subdivision is available for rent and has a wonderful view of the sunset on the lake.

http://sevencoves.net/

If you have an idea for an alternate venue then feel free to propose it.

Geko45
05-13-2012, 21:50
As for the side conversation which I inadvertently contributed to in jest, this is a coordination thread. We have many others to discuss the various aspects of the thiest / athiest debate.

Geko45
05-13-2012, 21:52
We could meet here (http://www.creationevidence.org/) if it's not too far for everyone. Austin would be an easier drive, but Houston wouldn't be good too.

Oh, I just saw this. This is certainly worth consideration. LOL!

Smacktard
05-13-2012, 23:02
Atheist need to organize IMO, but I think we would end up with "Cat Herding Syndrome".

Geko45
05-13-2012, 23:04
Atheist need to organize IMO, but I think we would end up with "Cat Herding Syndrome".

Which is why I propose that the only goal of our meet and greet be to drink beer and eat good food.

muscogee
05-14-2012, 07:30
Agreed. No personal offense to our thiest board members, but your presence would either impose an uncomfortable restriction on our conversation (as not to offend) or worse, result in an in-person verbal confrontation in the same manner that often occurs here.

Think of it this way, you (as theists) have every Sunday to enjoy the company of like minded folk. We (as athiests), seldom get that chance.

As for the get together itself, I'd like to propose a venue for our meet and greet. I'd be willing to host it here at my place on Lake Conroe. If it were just a few of us then my house could accomodate. If the event grows in number then the club house here in my subdivision is available for rent and has a wonderful view of the sunset on the lake.

http://sevencoves.net/

If you have an idea for an alternate venue then feel free to propose it.

I can make Conroe. If it's going to be at your house you should pm your address rather than broadcast it. Don't want the head cases randomly showing up beating you over the head with a Bible.

packsaddle
05-14-2012, 14:01
I doubt you would bring any balance or objectivity and I don't think you could take the heat in person.

haha.

i'm a deputy sheriff.

taking heat from heathens is what i get paid to do.

but hey, didn't think you would be interested in objectivity anyway.

take care.

added in edit: i hate the houston area anyway.

Roering
05-14-2012, 14:23
Sounds like fun!

http://www.seanet.com/~jimxc/Politics/Pictures/tinfoil1.jpg

Kingarthurhk
05-14-2012, 17:08

Nah, you'll just go into factions, e.g. denominations within Atheism.

Kingarthurhk
05-14-2012, 17:09

So, you are not inviting him to the inagural convocation of your church?

void *
05-14-2012, 17:19
How polite of particular theists to troll a thread intended as an invite for atheists to get together and eat good food and drink good beer.

It's so endearing. I'm sure there's some objective theological food/beer criteria that we'll be ignoring.

Geko - your place sounds fine. The other place mentioned sounds fine too. If it turns out we need to rent the clubhouse, let me know and I'll be sure to kick in.

Ramjet38
05-14-2012, 17:48
haha.

i'm a deputy sheriff.

take care.

I was going to buy the beer, but looks like we're not welcome. Hey! How about setting up a checkpoint outside, and check for sobriety when they leave??? :supergrin:

juggy4711
05-14-2012, 18:31
Very gracious of you to offer to host Gecko. That's within feasible range for me.

packsaddle
05-14-2012, 19:52
Hey! How about setting up a checkpoint outside, and check for sobriety when they leave??? :supergrin:

and then proselytize to them on the way to jail.

muscogee
05-14-2012, 20:52
haha.

i'm a deputy sheriff.

take care.

I'll bet you're real tough with drunks and teenagers. Stopped any out of state cars lately?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnXgcutfz0

muscogee
05-14-2012, 21:03
So, you are not inviting him to the inagural convocation of your church?

After the way he and that other hillbilly are already trying to throw their weight around and intimidate people? I don't get along well with bullies, even if they're wearing badges.

void *
05-14-2012, 21:22
It occurred to me that we should probably just ignore them, and comments like the ones they've posted. I wouldn't put it past either of them to be trying to get the thread locked.

Although it might be interesting to see how things played out if the threat were made good. I'm *very* good at following the law (lots of practice not breaking it), so any such trip to a jail would most certainly be a false arrest or detainment ... and I'm sure I could find a lawyer who could win *that* civil suit. Using color of law to proselytize would just be the icing on the cake ...

Geko45
05-15-2012, 11:06
I can make Conroe. If it's going to be at your house you should pm your address rather than broadcast it. Don't want the head cases randomly showing up beating you over the head with a Bible.

Meh, anyone that wants to can find me easy enough, but yeah I'll PM the final details once we have it worked out.

This is who I have as "interested" so far:

Void, Austin, interested but erradicate schedule
Juggy (the deist black sheep of the bunch), Galveston, no for warning on working weekends
Muscogee, Austin, unavailable June 9-15 and July 4th
Altaris, Round Rock, unavailable June 23rd weekend
Gunhaver, "up north", l-o-n-g drive but interested
Woofie, ???, will be taking a Calc class June & July
Geko45 (Me), Conroe, three day weekends June and July

If you're not on the list, but want to be then shout out now. A couple of folks were a little vague. I still don't mind hosting, but it looks like we have more folks in the Autsin area than in the Houston area, so we might get more attendance with an Austin venue.

Certainly don't plan anything around me. I'm trying to squeeze a calc class into the summer so I will most likely be occupied all of June and July.

Where are you located? Calc class? Pfft. I'll be in class too this summer (Business Research Writing). If I can make it then so can you!

void *
05-15-2012, 11:20
I was looking at a map and Brenham seems central, but then I was thinking, what would we do in Brenham? ;) Then again, we could get the Blue Bell hookup ...

Geko45
05-15-2012, 11:29
I was looking at a map and Brenham seems central, but then I was thinking, what would we do in Brenham? ;) Then again, we could get the Blue Bell hookup ...

Well, on top of the Blue Bell tour, there is a nifty little 50s style diner / burger joint right there at the airport.

Southern Flyer Diner (http://www.southernflyer.com/index_files/page0003.htm)

Woofie
05-15-2012, 11:54
Meh, anyone that wants to can find me easy enough, but yeah I'll PM the final details once we have it worked out.

This is who I have as "interested" so far:

Void, Austin, interested but erradicate schedule
Juggy (the deist black sheep of the bunch), Galveston, no for warning on working weekends
Muscogee, Austin, unavailable June 9-15 and July 4th
Altaris, Round Rock, unavailable June 23rd weekend
Gunhaver, "up north", l-o-n-g drive but interested
Woofie, ???, will be taking a Calc class June & July
Geko45 (Me), Conroe, three day weekends June and July

If you're not on the list, but want to be then shout out now. A couple of folks were a little vague. I still don't mind hosting, but it looks like we have more folks in the Autsin area than in the Houston area, so we might get more attendance with an Austin venue.

Where are you located? Calc class? Pfft. I'll be in class too this summer (Business Research Writing). If I can make it then so can you!

Baton Rouge. It will just depend on how heavy the work load ends up being. It's at a CC so I don't think it will be too heavy.

Altaris
07-21-2012, 14:44
I am moving the bolder away and bringing this thread out of the cave and back from the dead.

Anymore thoughts on having a get together?

steveksux
07-21-2012, 15:03
Nah, you'll just go into factions, e.g. denominations within Atheism.
True enough, I wonder if people that disbelieve in various Gods can get along...

Can the ACatholics get along with the ABaptists? Or would they get into heated debates over the details of what they don't believe in? :)

You guys should have it in winter. Its got to be hotter than Hell in the summertime in Texas... Oh wait.... not sure I believe that...

Randy

High-Gear
07-21-2012, 15:10
True enough, I wonder if people that disbelieve in various Gods can get along...

Can the ACatholics get along with the ABaptists? Or would they get into heated debates over the details of what they don't believe in? :)

You guys should have it in winter. Its got to be hotter than Hell in the summertime in Texas... Oh wait.... not sure I believe that...

Randy
This post reminds me of the joke:

A man approaches a checkpoint in Belfast. As his car stops the guard asks, "Catholic or Protestant.". The driver answers, "Atheist.". The guard thinks for a moment and replies...

"Right then, Catholic Atheist, or Protestant Atheist."
:rofl:

Geko45
07-22-2012, 16:06
I apologize as this was initially my idea, but I have become buried in grad school this summer and quite obviously have not followed through.

I still think this would be a great idea!

Woofie
07-25-2012, 07:17

I apologize as this was initially my idea, but I have become buried in grad school this summer and quite obviously have not followed through.

I still think this would be a great idea!

:whistling:

Cavalry Doc
07-30-2012, 21:18
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/036/f/9/Emote_Clapping_by_Mirz123.gifhttp://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/036/f/9/Emote_Clapping_by_Mirz123.gifhttp://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/036/f/9/Emote_Clapping_by_Mirz123.gif

:popcorn:

Cavalry Doc
08-01-2012, 18:01

Geko45
08-02-2012, 06:43

:whistling:

Yep, egg on my face. Doh!

Geko45
08-02-2012, 06:44

But I still have had time to school you this summer.

:tongueout: