Next Gen LED Lighting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen LED Lighting?

LongGun1
05-13-2012, 09:28
To me...sustainability is a big facet of prepping..

..anything essential (like lighting) that lasts much longer..

..are much more durable...

..and/or much more efficient is worth taking a look at.

IIRC...my 1st 120vac powered LED "bulb" (an array of LEDs actually) was around the early 2000's timeframe..

(wanted 'unbreakable' lighting for the Unimog Expedition Camper)

..& though I have been buying a few lower output units since..

..the readily available commercial products were not capable of replacing the higher output units..

..especially on a cost effective basis.

But it looks like they just might become a serious contender to more traditional lighting sources....starting in 2013

http://www.ecomagination.com/GE-LED-bulb-replacement-100-incandescent

Chindo18Z
05-13-2012, 10:37
If it lives up to claims...I'm in.

I was looking at LED bulbs the other day and just couldn't see dropping $35+ on a 40W output item. Just not enough lumens coming out of the currently available lower wattage bulbs.

I'm glad they finally seem to be cracking the code on useful output.

While I still appreciate (and use) incandescent old school bulbs, I've also become a satisfied CFL user for most lighting purposes. I'll gladly switch over to LED household bulbs when the technology matures.

Good article. Thanks.

Wake_jumper
05-13-2012, 10:50
Cool. Too bad they don't use less power than the equivalent CFL though.

Wake_jumper
05-13-2012, 11:01
If it lives up to claims...I'm in.

I was looking at LED bulbs the other day and just couldn't see dropping $35+ on a 40W output item. Just not enough Lums coming out of the currently available lower wattage bulbs.

I'm glad they finally seem to be cracking the code on useful output.

While I still appreciate (and use) incandescent old school bulbs, I've also become a satisfied CFL user for most lighting purposes. I'll gladly switch over to LED household bulbs when the technology matures.

Good article. Thanks.

I've been buying the 40 watt, $10.00 LED bulb, that Lowes has on sale every so often. It puts out a very nice quality light, that to me, seems like a 60 watt incandecent. I have several... time will tell how long they last. The oldest one has been in use for a year or so and is still going strong.

AK_Stick
05-13-2012, 14:07
Since most of my house is running the 150 watt CFL's I can't really see myself switching to a dimmer bulb that uses more power per equivalent

Waiting for some of their newer products to hit the market though, like their LED projection lights for cars/off road :shocked:

cowboy1964
05-13-2012, 14:14
Cool. Too bad they don't use less power than the equivalent CFL though.

LEDs should deliver more lumens per Watt. And they are starting to now.

quake
05-13-2012, 15:32
Interesting article. Agree with wake_jumper & cowboy 1964; an LED should use less wattage than a lumen-equivalent CFL does. Makes me wonder if it's maybe an issue of additional wattage being used on the cooling in addition to light-generation..? One issue with 120volt LED bulbs I've tried is that they tend to be more spot than flood. In some places that may be fine, but for a normal room light fixture it's usually not a good thing.

Last week I ordered several different LED lights & fixtures to use for auto-on emergency lighting in a family-member's house that's undergoing a remodel. These are supposed to be more warm-white in color, rather than the typical (and retched) blue tint that one usually experiences when lighting with LED's. When they come in I'll try & remember to get some in-use pics and do a review of them.

Bolster
05-13-2012, 20:20
I'm glad the lumen count is finally getting competitive.

However I'm not too interested in switching to LEDs until the High CRI emitters come online. Have you ever seen the spectrum output of a traditional LED? Drops most the blue-green and much of the orange and red. That's why things are hard to distinguish under LED light. However, that will eventually be fixed with the High CRIs that are making it to the market here and there.

"Warm" is not the same as "High CRI," but it's confusing because most high CRI lights tend to be warmer tint.

If you want to experience the difference, get a 4sevens' Quark in High CRI. In my opinion it's well worth spending more and getting fewer lumens to get high CRI.

Big Bird
05-14-2012, 06:55
The big issue with LED is not so much their rated lumens when new. But the degradation of that brightness over time. LED's have a bad problem with this. They get dimmer. They still come on mind you. But in a year they are half as bright as they were when new depending. This is the real issue with LED lighting IMO. YMMV