S&W Sigma .40 cal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma .40 cal

chemicalburn
05-13-2012, 15:10
:dunno: My wife has been wanting to get her CCW for sometime now and i have been trying to steer her into a glock 23 in 40 cal. Today she comes home from shopping and tells me she went into the local gun shop and found a S&W sigma 40 cal that she wants and she said she got the owner down to 199.00. I was blow'n away at the sound of a NEW gun for that price i checked it out, and it's not my glock but it looked like a good gun. Whats the deal with the S&W sigma's any good? and for 200.00 can it really be a good gun? or should i jump on this?

Any issues i should no about before i cave into her?

itstime
05-13-2012, 15:14
They are solid reliable guns.

Pull the trigger. It's heavy. If you can get past that they are great guns.

They feel better in my hands than a Glock. They shoot fine and i have no compaints.

itstime
05-13-2012, 15:15
Btw. $199 sounds low for a new one unless I'm missing out on something. Bout a hundred low.

TxGlock9
05-13-2012, 15:43
Price sounds right for a Sigma. Nothing wrong with them. I would advise you to try a S&W M&P 40 and hold those before taking the plunge.

Jason D
05-13-2012, 16:38
They are my favorite cheap gun.
They started life in 1993/4 as a competitor of Glock. S&W aimed to push them into the police duty market. Through troubles with the first generation guns, and a lawsuit by Glock. They finally found a market as a reliable and affordable gun. The VE models they have been selling since the late 90's have been great guns.

Most of the bad things you hear are related to the first gen guns and has been repeated over and over by people that mostly never handled one let along shot it. In the last 5 years or so they have started to garner respect as being a cheap, reliable, quality weapon.

I bought two of them back in 1999. They have thousands of rounds through them and the .40 regular gets carried CCW. Just last year I picked up my third one.

Yes I have better guns. Guns costing many, many time the cost of a lowly Sigma. I still like them. I trust them. That's more than can be said for any Ruger I've ever had.

MrVvrroomm
05-13-2012, 16:45
Make sure she can even pull the trigger before you buy it. Seriously.

dakrat
05-13-2012, 16:45
shot my father's sigma in .40 S&W. reliable but I did not enjoy shooting it. I wouldn't fire one again even if its free.

Stover918
05-13-2012, 16:52
Not a fan. Seems like I would break the triger. Plus the pins for pulling the triger inside mine broke. I returned it for my money back. Go with what you know. Trust your life to what you know.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

agrech
05-13-2012, 16:58
I'm with these guys, I thought the trigger was horrible... I liked the feel of the gun overall but that trigger was a deal breaker.

cysoto
05-13-2012, 17:04
I have shot a few and dry fired many others and I have yet to find one that has a trigger pull under 12 lbs. Ergonomically, it's not a bad design but the trigger is HORRIBLE.

Edited to add:
Yes, you can have a gunsmith to a trigger job on the pistol but it'll never be what you will want it to be.

chemicalburn
05-13-2012, 17:24
Thanks guys,
It's not my gun, as i'm a fan of glocks. I'm going to see if i can get one her in her hands to shoot at the range before she just buy's one. she gets her mind set on something i'm sure they'll be one in the house before i have anything to say about it. Thanks for the info

Shocker73
05-13-2012, 17:42
I had a sigma .40 for a few years it was a good gun very basic but reliable. They usally run around $300 if you can get one for $200 I would get it just to have. I tried to push a glock on my wife when she got her ccw but she went with a revolver. Your best bet is to let her shoot whatever she finds and if she still likes it thats the one to get because if she doesn't like it she will never carry it.

TacticalThong
05-13-2012, 17:57
Sigmas are ok guns. Two hundred dollars is a good price for a new one. As suggested above, if she can deal with the heavy trigger pull go for it.

bac1023
05-13-2012, 18:14
I have one in 9mm and its been great.

The trigger isn't the best, but for the price, you really can't complain much.

unsigned
05-13-2012, 18:59
I've got an older .40 and a newer 9mm. I like the older gun better, but its just preference. Don't shoot them much anymore, but that .40 had a good amount of rounds through it, in 5K range.

They are good reliable guns, no worries.

ChicagoZman
05-13-2012, 20:17
Best selling handgun in the LGS here due to the low price. Very heavy trigger pull so its not a target gun, but will do the job for self defense very well. And it has a lifetime warranty from S&W.

I wouldn't enjoy owning one personally, but they're good guns for the money.

BossGodfrey
05-13-2012, 20:39
My dream gun is a glock with a sigma or PPQ grip ! I've bought maybe five sigmas over the years, mostly from people who needed fast cash. Never had a single problem with any of them. Trigger is heavy but for sub 300.00 new they are worth the money. LGS sells them 2-1 over anything else and has for over five years now with very few complaints.

Jason D
05-14-2012, 16:10
I have shot a few and dry fired many others and I have yet to find one that has a trigger pull under 12 lbs. Ergonomically, it's not a bad design but the trigger is HORRIBLE.

Edited to add:
Yes, you can have a gunsmith to a trigger job on the pistol but it'll never be what you will want it to be.

I have never seen one over 8 pounds.
I own three but have handled more. The trigger gets better with use, but it will never feel like an M1911.

I weighed the trigger on my most used and often carried gun.
It weighs in at 6.5 pounds on my digital scale. It is the best of the three. The other two being 9mm and 7 pounds and 7.5 pounds respectively.

My dream gun is a glock with a sigma or PPQ grip ! I've bought maybe five sigmas over the years, mostly from people who needed fast cash. Never had a single problem with any of them. Trigger is heavy but for sub 300.00 new they are worth the money. LGS sells them 2-1 over anything else and has for over five years now with very few complaints.

Check out the M&P.

It is related to the Sigma. I consider it to be an updated version. They are way better than any Sigma, and Glock I have ever seen. Same grip feel, though changeable with the back straps. The Pro models can be had with 4.5 pound trigger pulls. For a modern DAO type duty gun. They have very good triggers.

I started with the .45 M&P and now have added a 40 and a 9.

travis34769
05-14-2012, 17:26
They are solid reliable guns.

Pull the trigger. It's heavy. If you can get past that they are great guns.

They feel better in my hands than a Glock. They shoot fine and i have no compaints.

Simple way to change that. Just look on YouTube.

257 roberts
05-14-2012, 17:32
I had one and all the internet sights advised against them,trigger was BAD so I had a gunsmith fix the problem,it turned out to be a great shooting gun

bac1023
05-14-2012, 20:10

I also prefer the ergonomics of the Sigma.

JordanK
05-14-2012, 20:21
I've shot a friends in .40. I didn't much care for it, and it doesn't exactly get a lot of holster time with him either. Perhaps he got a bad example, or perhaps they are a little picky about ammo (my crowd tends towards the cheap, bulk stuff for plinking). In any case, the thing was a jamomatic... every other round. Couldn't say how accurate it was, constantly performing remedial action was too frustrating to care if I hit paper or not. Frankly, couldn't say how bad the trigger was... I was that irritated :p. Sounds like my experience is well within the minority though... my buddy probably just got a lemon. I say, for that price, you can afford to roll the dice.

carbuncle
05-15-2012, 08:58
I like 'em, I had one of the first generation SW40F models when they were first out. Worked well enough for me, was always reliable and accurate. I sold it to a buddy almost 15 years ago and have tried to buy it back a couple of times for novelty's sake: he won't let it go.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

dwhite53
05-15-2012, 14:26
I sold my SW40VE to buy a G22. Step up definitely but I still miss my Sigma. Loved the grip. Trigger was a little heavy but not bad. There should be no unintentional discharges with a Sigma.

If I could find another NIB for $199 I'd take it in a minute.

All the Best,
D. White