1911 vs Glock 27 help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs Glock 27 help

youngbuck
05-13-2012, 15:18
Alright fellas, I am currently in a debate on another forum (non gun specific forum) about the 1911. A member originally posted the following comment in response to someone getting a RIA Tactical as their ccw:

"Why a 1911? You should carry a gun that is reliable, holds appropriate rounds, have sufficient stopping power, is controllable and concealable.

Buying a Big .45 so you can say you carry one IMO is dumb. I really like my Glock .40 cals. A .40 Cal has equivalent stopping power as a .45, but is more controllable for the average guy and allows you to carry higher capacities."

I do not normally partake in caliber wars or in being a 1911 snob. I just felt this was a bit out of order and have made the case that a 5" 1911 is more accurate and has better controlability being a single stack with a longer barrel which also allows for a better sight radius vs a G27 (his stated carry piece.)

We have already discussed the fact a 1911 requires more maintenance than a Glock :upeyes: but I have not touched on the round count or people who anticipate recoil like he has stated. Any factual input on how to have a CIVIL discussion about other parts of the 1911 without just being a snob?

2740dmx
05-13-2012, 15:27
I don't know........

Can you really talk sense into people on a gun forum?

Let him have his .40..........

1911 users are a separate breed, and do not need to convince anyone that the 1911 is a great weapon.

The 1911 does not belong in the hands of many shooters....

Clusterfrack
05-13-2012, 15:33
I don't know if I'm a breed apart... but I am a longtime 1911 user who has fairly recently come over to the Dark Side and am shooting and carrying Glocks (9mm). A good 1911 is a work of art. Both are great designs and have their advantages. I do agree that the 1911 is not for everyone.

boomhower
05-13-2012, 15:36
Arguing is just a waste of time. Both platforms have their positives and negatives. Carry whichever you prefer. That's the great thing about choice.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

itstime
05-13-2012, 15:48
:deadhorse::deadhorse: to each their own.

youngbuck
05-13-2012, 15:50
I also dont think a 1911 for carry is for everyone. I am still learning as well but I dont feel a person should be openly criticized in that manner

Perhaps I just need a better understanding as to why a .40 has less recoil than a .45?

glock2740
05-13-2012, 15:56
My favorite two pistol platforms are the 1911 and Glock. I carry one or the other daily. There is no right or wrong answer, just personal opinions. Revolvers mostly hold 6 rounds, but they have been, and still are, carried all over the world, every single day. Sounds like the guy on the other forum is talking out of his ass, which is something that, unfortunately, is seen on any and every gun forum, gun store or general gun conversation that happens around the world every day. There are facts. And there opinions. BTW, you know I don't think there's anything wrong with CC'ing a G27. Hell, that's my username. :cool:

TSAX
05-13-2012, 15:58

:dunno:, this is a very good point

:50cal:

youngbuck
05-13-2012, 16:11

Its on a truck forum actually. They seem to go hand in hand :supergrin:

Glock2740, in two years of being around here I know you appreciate all kinds. I am just starting out but have no objection to anyone carrying a G.40 or whatever fits them the best. :wavey:

dakrat
05-13-2012, 16:22
I am a 1911 fan and also own a few Glock models including the 27. if we are comparing a Glock 27 and an RIA 1911 for personal defense here, I would pick the 27 no doubt, not because of the size.

countrygun
05-13-2012, 16:26
Let me see if I can help you out a bit with this clown

Alright fellas, I am currently in a debate on another forum (non gun specific forum) about the 1911. A member originally posted the following comment in response to someone getting a RIA Tactical as their ccw:

"Why a 1911? You should carry a gun that is reliable, holds appropriate rounds, have sufficient stopping power, is controllable and concealable.

Buying a Big .45 so you can say you carry one IMO is dumb. I really like my Glock .40 cals. A .40 Cal has equivalent stopping power as a .45, but is more controllable for the average guy and allows you to carry higher capacities."

Besides the grammar, the equivalence of the .40 and the .45 is not provable by any stretch, unless one uses the same yardstick that proves the 9mm is equal to the .40

"More controllable"? Many people would disagree strongly with that, but then, they have probably fired both calibers.

The "Higher capacity" argument gives the 9mm a significant advantage over the .40

I do not normally partake in caliber wars or in being a 1911 snob. I just felt this was a bit out of order and have made the case that a 5" 1911 is more accurate and has better controlability being a single stack with a longer barrel which also allows for a better sight radius vs a G27 (his stated carry piece.)

We have already discussed the fact a 1911 requires more maintenance than a Glock :upeyes: but I have not touched on the round count or people who anticipate recoil like he has stated. Any factual input on how to have a CIVIL discussion about other parts of the 1911 without just being a snob?

I really think the person you quoted doesn't have any 1911/.45 experience and is just parroting what they guy at the gun counter said when he sold him the .40

Oldgaglocker
05-13-2012, 16:28
I have owed several 1911's including Kimbers and RIA. I have owned several Glock 40's(3) I now have just 2 auto's - G21's. No matter what you carry, the secret is practice till it is muscle memory. When I go to the range I dont try for tight groups I practice from 3-21 ft for center of mass. I also do IDPA at a local range. As a former LEO concealed carry is a great way for you to care for yourself and family. You should have proper training (not required in my state) and know you carry laws as well as when you can use lethal force. So enjoy yourself to each his own

Dogbite
05-13-2012, 19:17
I like them both, and have owned and carried many of both designs. I carry a G30sf now. Everyone carries what they want for different reasons. I hate cleaning a 1911, that's just me. The capacity is fine on both weapons. If I decided to carry another 1911 day and night now, it would probably be a 3-3.5 inch version. The 45acp and the .40 both get it done, so to me thats sort of a non-issue.
What fits your hand better? Which design feels better to you? Which one do you shoot better? If someone shoots a 4" 38 better, i would want them armed with one, instead of the 1911 or glock.

wdp
05-13-2012, 19:33
Yet another "my gun is better than yours" or ".40 vs 9 vs45" debate.....The beat goes on forever.
Shoot whatever the hell you want and stop listening to all the forum nonsense, but just remember, "It's not the arrows, but the Indian"

carloglock19
05-13-2012, 19:43
Yet another "my gun is better than yours" or ".40 vs 9 vs45" debate.....The beat goes on forever.
Shoot whatever the hell you want and stop listening to all the forum nonsense, but just remember, "It's not the arrows, but the Indian"

:goodpost:

TN.Frank
05-13-2012, 22:22
I don't care for striker fired handguns so that's strike one for the G27. I personally think the 45acp is easier to control then then 40S&W, especially if you're talking the 155-165gr 40cal stuff so that's strike two against the G27. I also think the 1911 is an easier gun to shoot well because it IS a bit larger and has more weight to it and accuracy is more important to me then cartridge capacity IMHO. So that's a big plus for the 1911.
Personally I do think a full size might be a bit much, that's why I like a Commander size gun for carry.:cool:

TxGun
05-13-2012, 23:00
Either will do all you need it to do as a CCW.

mrsurfboard
05-14-2012, 02:59
I have found that the 40, out of a Glock anyway, is harder to shoot then any other round I've tried.

BuckyP
05-14-2012, 06:23
Arguing is just a waste of time. Both platforms have their positives and negatives. Carry whichever you prefer. That's the great thing about choice.

Pretty much sums it up right here.

I will add one thing to consider. There are more than a few die hard 1911 fans that don't trust or don't like 1911s with barrels less than 4". Haters will hate, but when the "likers" have reservations, it's something to consider. :dunno:

MajorD
05-14-2012, 08:26
I definitely find the 45 acp to be more comfortable to shoot as far as recoil- even my small statured wife would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. I still have 1911's my glock 27 went by bye (odd ball caliber- in that it was the only 40 I owned) and it was definitely harder to control than any 9mm (have replaced the 27 with a 26) and any 45 I have shot as well.

Clusterfrack
05-14-2012, 08:31
Another difference is that 1911s are thinner than Glocks, which can be an advantage for concealment. However, I find that the grip length has a much bigger effect on whether the gun prints or not. My new G26 is easier to conceal than my Springfield EMP .40 even though it's fatter.

http://forums.1911forum.com/picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=776

fastbolt
05-17-2012, 13:22
Getting involved in anything more than a friendly discussion on any sort of internet enthusiast forum is pretty much a waste of time.

As far as the 1911 v. G27 discussion? Why bother? Really.

FWIW, whenever this sort of subject arises when I'm working a range as a firearms instructor & armorer, i usually ask the participants how well any of them can actually handle, manipulate & shoot whatever pistols/calibers are under discussion, which they actually own & use.

Most of the time that's a rhetorical question, as they're fully aware of how well they just "performed" out on the qual/practice firing line. :whistling:

Less time debating pistol/caliber ... more time spent developing, improving & maintaining skillset (and learning how to really maintain their chosen pistols), and then thinking about their practical (tactics) knowledge and mindset development.

oldman11
05-17-2012, 13:47
I have found that the 40, out of a Glock anyway, is harder to shoot then any other round I've tried.
I'd agree with you on that. I don't know why that is as I shoot a 10mm, which is the same caliber but a hotter round. For some reason the round doesn't match the gun that well. At least for me it doesn't.

SiberianErik
05-17-2012, 14:13
Had two G27's and hated them, it was my first Glock actually. In that size frame it makes more sense to go w/ the G33.

I hate the .40 in general, also 1911's are true gun guy guns. Last time I was at the range in 13 lanes, everyone had Glocks but three of us. My 1911, one other guy w/ a 1911 that was a LEO and my wifes 5.7. I would all of them were new shooters.

That being said if I had to goto war tomarrow I would probly choose a G21 :embarassed:

B.Reid
05-17-2012, 15:21
Glock is a peasants weapon made for the masses. 1911's are for people that know better.

Cochese
05-17-2012, 16:23
Just tell him to STFU.

:supergrin:

I carry 9mm 1911s at work, every day, and I love them.

That said, I am switching agencies and will be toting a Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G26 instead and I am actually looking forward to the simplicity of the Glocks again.

My 1911s are fine. My EMP is a breeze to clean and is dead accurate, but it weights a bit more than a G26, I think. The Professional is great too, except my barrel bushing wrench doesn't fit perfect (pos wrench) so it is a ***** to get the Pro apart to clean. It's also a heavy beast on a duty rig ten hours a day.

I will always love 1911s though and can outshoot myself with a Glock in hand.

Cochese
05-17-2012, 16:24
Glock is a peasants weapon made for the masses. 1911's are for people that know better.

That's retarded.

MtBaldy
05-17-2012, 17:20
Perhaps I just need a better understanding as to why a .40 has less recoil than a .45?

It doesn't. Simple logic will prove it. There is no way a higher energy cartridge (.40 S&W) out of a lighter gun (Glock) is going to have less recoil.

The Gen4 .40 Glocks with the dual recoil spring do have less FELT recoil than their predecessors but it's still there. I think, and have always thought, full size 1911s are easier to shoot than .40 anything but the gun on my hip every day is a Glock 23.

wayno
05-17-2012, 17:45
I was more accurate out of the box w/1911 @ 25 yds than the G23 @ 7yds after 600 rounds. Still each has its place and it only proves I need more practice w Glock as I have a G26 that I shoot no better than the G23. To each his own! :-)

wayno
Tapatalk

B.Reid
05-17-2012, 19:57
That's retarded.

Good one, now do you want to talk about sticks and stones? Lets keep the name calling on the playground.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 03:16
Good one, now do you want to talk about sticks and stones? Lets keep the name calling on the playground.

That's retarded.

You're a retard.

One is what I said. The other is what you inferred.

Referring to me and millions of Glock owners as peasants would be more in line with name calling.

It's also telling of your ignorance, arrogance, and stupidity regarding firearms.

I have five Glocks in my household at the moment, but I carry $4,5xx worth of 1911 on me on the clock. Where do I fit in as a peasant?

:rofl:

That's retarded.

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 11:00
That's retarded.

You're a retard.

One is what I said. The other is what you inferred.

Referring to me and millions of Glock owners as peasants would be more in line with name calling.

It's also telling of your ignorance, arrogance, and stupidity regarding firearms.

I have five Glocks in my household at the moment, but I carry $4,5xx worth of 1911 on me on the clock. Where do I fit in as a peasant?

:rofl:

That's retarded.

I never said that anyone that carries one is a peasant, but the Glock like the AK is a peasants gun. Because they are low maintenance and crude. They will work for the masses that don't know or care about maintenance. You don't need to know how they work just pull the trigger. They both have poor sights and triggers but work. This is why they are issued in such high numbers to people that can't be trusted to maintain their weapons. By the way I have owned G19,G17, G23, G22 and still own a G20. I know a little bit about them, I have been shooting for over 40 years and have an opinion. How many Speacial Forces choose the Glock if they have a choice? Very few. So get your panties out of a wad!

Cochese
05-18-2012, 14:42
I never said that anyone that carries one is a peasant, but the Glock like the AK is a peasants gun. Because they are low maintenance and crude. They will work for the masses that don't know or care about maintenance. You don't need to know how they work just pull the trigger. They both have poor sights and triggers but work. This is why they are issued in such high numbers to people that can't be trusted to maintain their weapons. By the way I have owned G19,G17, G23 and still own a G20. I know a little bit about them, I have been shooting for over 40 years and have an opinion. How many Speacial Forces choose the Glock if they have a choice? Very few. So get your panties out of a wad!

I'm not wearing any underwear. :rofl:

You know it is possible to make a point without sounding like a passive aggressive nancy, right?

My exception (and nod toward your ignorance) was you stating that 1911s are for people that know better. That is an ignorant blanket statement. 1911s are simply a platform of many. The glock series and its "poor sights" and trigger work great. They have a specific purpose and that is to meet a series of needs with a series of limitations. Glock does it perfectly. And lots and lots of folks who carry them know better (1911) and still see how and why they shine.

I guess gun snobbery rubs me the wrong way. And you've had 40 years to perfect it. Carry on I guess.

:wavey:

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 15:02
I'm not wearing any underwear. :rofl:

You know it is possible to make a point without sounding like a passive aggressive nancy, right?

My exception (and nod toward your ignorance) was you stating that 1911s are for people that know better. That is an ignorant blanket statement. 1911s are simply a platform of many. The glock series and its "poor sights" and trigger work great. They have a specific purpose and that is to meet a series of needs with a series of limitations. Glock does it perfectly. And lots and lots of folks who carry them know better (1911) and still see how and why they shine.

I guess gun snobbery rubs me the wrong way. And you've had 40 years to perfect it. Carry on I guess.

You started out saying you carry a 1911 by choice but at your new job you are being issued a Glock. So now you think that Glock is the best yet. Do you think the bureaucrat that picked the Glock did so because it is the best tool or is he just protecting his job by choosing the weapon that most others have? Do you have an opinion or was that issued too? I hope you are happy with your issue weapon, most cops will never use their issue weapon anyway so it probably doesn't make any difference.

Zombie Steve
05-18-2012, 15:04
1911 is more better than a Glock, .45 auto is more better than .40 short and wimpy... AND... I betcha my dad could beat up his dad.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 15:20
You started out saying you carry a 1911 by choice but at your new job you are being issued a Glock. So now you think that Glock is the best yet. Do you think the bureaucrat that picked the Glock did so because it is the best tool or is he just protecting his job by choosing the weapon that most others have? Do you have an opinion or was that issued too? I hope you are happy with your issue weapon, most cops will never use their issue weapon anyway so it probably doesn't make any difference.

This gets better and better!

The new agency I will be working with doesn't issue glocks at all. They are an approved personally owned weapon. Specifically, the G17 and G26. This agency issues a Sig Sauer in .40 and authorizes several other Sigs along with HK and the Glocks.

I have worked at three police departments in two states over the years. I went through the academy with a G22 and have been issued an HK USP and Sig P226. I had the choice back in 2006 to purchase and carry whatever I wanted, including 1911s. I chose the G34 and G26 and carried them for 4 years before I ordered my Springfield Professional and EMP and P238.

I wanted to try the platform for duty and I love it. If I could still carry them at the new place I may have chosen to do so.

Fact is, I cannot. I can be issued a Sig, go buy my own Sigs, or HKs, or Glocks with poor sights and triggers that, according to you, are for people that cannot or will not take care of a weapon (a passive agressive anti-Leo nod that figures considering what i know of your posting history).

FWIW to those in this thread with a brain, including the OP...

I am a department armorer for glock and colt and firearms instructor. I have to maintain a LOT of Glocks. My opinion Mr. Reid is not issued. It was/is developed on real life experience, including two OIS I have been involved in since 2009. Both of those involved issued Glock 22s.

Fact based opinion from the street. Not the range in your little picture.

:patriot:

jprj
05-18-2012, 15:51
Just tell him to try them both and let him realize the advantages of one another. I bet he will end up carrying what we have....:)

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 17:04
This gets better and better!

The new agency I will be working with doesn't issue glocks at all. They are an approved personally owned weapon. Specifically, the G17 and G26. This agency issues a Sig Sauer in .40 and authorizes several other Sigs along with HK and the Glocks.

I have worked at three police departments in two states over the years. I went through the academy with a G22 and have been issued an HK USP and Sig P226. I had the choice back in 2006 to purchase and carry whatever I wanted, including 1911s. I chose the G34 and G26 and carried them for 4 years before I ordered my Springfield Professional and EMP and P238.

I wanted to try the platform for duty and I love it. If I could still carry them at the new place I may have chosen to do so.

Fact is, I cannot. I can be issued a Sig, go buy my own Sigs, or HKs, or Glocks with poor sights and triggers that, according to you, are for people that cannot or will not take care of a weapon (a passive agressive anti-Leo nod that figures considering what i know of your posting history).

FWIW to those in this thread with a brain, including the OP...

I am a department armorer for glock and colt and firearms instructor. I have to maintain a LOT of Glocks. My opinion Mr. Reid is not issued. It was/is developed on real life experience, including two OIS I have been involved in since 2009. Both of those involved issued Glock 22s.

Fact based opinion from the street. Not the range in your little picture.

:patriot:

I really don't care what you carry, carry what you want. I gave an opinion on Glocks from my experience and you went on the attack. Since I wont back down on my opinion you take it as some kind of attack on you. Is your name Gaston? Sorry I don't like Glocks I gave them a try, I don't like them. If you do fine with me. I never said Glocks don't work, but there are better options out there, for me anyway. I see you had to end this with another personal attack, is this how you work on the street. Sorry Officer I think you are wrong. Just my opinion, I hope that doesn't bother you.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 17:18
I really don't care what you carry, carry what you want. I gave an opinion on Glocks from my experience and you went on the attack. Since I wont back down on my opinion you take it as some kind of attack on you. Is your name Gaston? Sorry I don't like Glocks I gave them a try, I don't like them. If you do fine with me. I never said Glocks don't work, but there are better options out there, for me anyway. I see you had to end this with another personal attack, is this how you work on the street. Sorry Officer I think you are wrong. Just my opinion, I hope that doesn't bother you.

You are quite a delicate flower if you consider anything I've said a personal attack.

But clearly passive agrressive with your remarks like "is this gow you work on the street?" Or your reference to me as officer?

:thumbsup:

If you swim through all your backpeddling, you will see I took exception to your assertion that someone who goes 1911 over glock (or any other platform) "knows better" and your peasant reference... I see it for what it is now.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on guns, amongst other things I'm sure.

All the best.

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 17:44
You are quite a delicate flower if you consider anything I've said a personal attack.

But clearly passive agrressive with your remarks like "is this gow you work on the street?" Or your reference to me as officer?

:thumbsup:

If you swim through all your backpeddling, you will see I took exception to your assertion that someone who goes 1911 over glock (or any other platform) "knows better" and your peasant reference... I see it for what it is now.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on guns, amongst other things I'm sure.

All the best.

It's funny how you cops always think someone is anti cop if they disagree with you. As far as back peddling I am sticking to my peasant remark. What's good for the masses is not usually what is best for the individual. Everyone and their brother is a Glock armorer. I have that tool also. LOL

Cochese
05-18-2012, 18:07
It's funny how you cops always think someone is anti cop if they disagree with you.

No, it's my knowledge of your sometimes d-baggish posting history that clued me in. ;)

As far as back peddling I am sticking to my peasant remark. What's good for the masses is not usually what is best for the individual.

You've backpeddled all over this thread, but that is beside the point. I don't disagree that individuals are suited to different things. I disagree with your assertion, that 1911 owners have reached some kind of nirvana over "peasants" who a Glock fits perfectly, due to THEIR INDIVIDUAL requirements.

Everyone and their brother is a Glock armorer. I have that tool also. LOL

Right.

Your weekend GSSF armorer duties of days past (before your 1911 enlightenment :rofl: ) surely equate to the duties of a paid police department armorer who maintains individual weapons for hundreds of personnel.

Not that it matters. I mentioned that to explain I have a little experience dealing with the "bad" regarding glocks and "the masses" being police officers that are issued them and are sometimes hard on equipment.

Keep on keepin' on, Mr. Reed.

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 18:26
No, it's my knowledge of your sometimes d-baggish posting history that clued me in. ;)

You've backpeddled all over this thread, but that is beside the point. I don't disagree that individuals are suited to different things. I disagree with your assertion, that 1911 owners have reached some kind of nirvana over "peasants" who a Glock fits perfectly, due to THEIR INDIVIDUAL requirements.

Right.

Your weekend GSSF armorer duties of days past (before your 1911 enlightenment :rofl: ) surely equate to the duties of a paid police department armorer who maintains individual weapons for hundreds of personnel.

Not that it matters. I mentioned that to explain I have a little experience dealing with the "bad" regarding glocks and "the masses" being police officers that are issued them and are sometimes hard on equipment.

Keep on keepin' on, Mr. Reed.

So now I'm a dirtbag for disagreeing with you, that's not personal.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 18:48
So now I'm a dirtbag for disagreeing with you, that's not personal.

More words in my mouth! Yay!

You're posting history clued me in about your anti cop tendancy. I consider some of the things I've heard you say doosh baggish. That's my opinion. I don't think your a dirt bag.

And I don't give a rats ass if you disagree with me. That's the point of discussion forums.

Welcome to the internet.

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 19:37
More words in my mouth! Yay!

You're posting history clued me in about your anti cop tendancy. I consider some of the things I've heard you say doosh baggish. That's my opinion. I don't think your a dirt bag.

And I don't give a rats ass if you disagree with me. That's the point of discussion forums.

Welcome to the internet.

You just can't stay away from the slurs can you. Why don't you try coming up with a reason that Glock is better? Then we can have a discussion.

countrygun
05-18-2012, 19:47
:popcorn:

BuckyP
05-18-2012, 19:51
:arg:

Cochese
05-18-2012, 19:54
You just can't stay away from the slurs can you. Why don't you try coming up with a reason that Glock is better? Then we can have a discussion.

Lol what slurs????

You sound like a thirteen year old girl. What new evidence am I suppose to offer to change your opinion on Glocks? You are obviously set in your ways and I don't care to waste time trying.
You merely made a statement in this thread which I thought was ignorant and I busted you out on it. I offered my own reasoning why I disagree with your perception that those who choose the model 1911 are in possession of a higher level of thinking. Furthermore, I offered a factual basis for my opinion.

Don't like it? Don't get it? Not my problem sir.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 19:56
Lol what slurs????

You sound like a thirteen year old girl. What new evidence am I suppose to offer to change your opinion on Glocks? You are obviously set in your ways and I don't care to waste time trying.
You merely made a statement in this thread which I thought was ignorant and I busted you out on it. I offered my own reasoning why I disagree with your perception that those who choose the model 1911 are in possession of a higher level of thinking. Furthermore, I offered a factual basis for my opinion.

Don't like it? Don't get it? Not my problem sir.

I'm sorry but we are going to have to take away your Mall Ninja Card until you move out of your mothers basement.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 20:00
Game. Set. Match.

:yawn:

Cochese
05-18-2012, 20:05
OP, just link the other forum to this thread. :rofl:

clancy
05-18-2012, 20:21
Back to the 1911 vs. Glock 27 debate...

I have 3 1911's and have owned a 1911 since 1983. I pretend to be no expert on 1911's, but I do know from experience that I shoot a 1911 better than any pistol I have ever shot, with the exception of my S&W Model 25. Despite several hundred rounds of ammunition and the best efforts of a couple Glock owners, I just cannot shoot a Glock well. I bought, on impulse, a 27 last January, and find the trigger atrocious and the recoil brutal. This is the only gun I have ever shot that cuts my trigger finger and wears a sore spot on the palm of my hand. I have tried to sell it, but several prospective buyers have shot this thing and all have declined.

If anyone here likes the Glock 27, and finds it works for them, more power to them. I would never try to talk them out of carrying it. But there is no way I will.

Cochese
05-18-2012, 22:18
I'm not a fan of the G27 at all. The 26 in 9mm (I have had a couple) have all been great. Recoil is manageable to me, and with a pinkie extender it fits my hand okay. Plenty accurate for a carry piece and concealable. Thicker than a EMP or micro compact but shorter.

I'm looking forward to a Gen4 with some Sevigny sites.

carguy2244
05-20-2012, 19:36

I hate to confuse you with the facts, but 1911s were the original made "for the masses" weapon.

B.Reid
05-20-2012, 19:46
I hate to confuse you with the facts, but 1911s were the original made "for the masses" weapon.

The 1911 was designed for the Cavalry, the shock troops of the 19th and early 20th century's. Kind of old school special forces. Of course by the time it was issued the Cavalry was obsolete. So they were issued to Officers.

Teecher45
05-20-2012, 20:18
Just to play devil's advocate, I love my Gen 4 27. My 8 year old and 12 year old loves shooting it too, it fits their hands very well.
But I would have to admit their favorite is;
8 yo-Beretta 92
12 yo- Gen 4 21.

fnfalman
05-21-2012, 10:16

As are all military issued smallarms.

Kyle M.
05-21-2012, 10:51
Heres how I feel the 1911 and glock are both great guns, and with todays technology I dont think you can say one is more reliable than the other. I have 8000+ rounds through my sig 1911 and have yet to have a malfunction. That being said they both have there uses. If I was buying a target gun for the range I'd go with a government sized 1911, for EDC a commander or officers frame or a compact/subcompact glock. If I was going to war in some third world country I'd take a g21. It is also true that glocks are much easier to swap parts in as they dont require fitting like a 1911. A 1911 is a functional work of art, a glock is a nearly indestructable tool that will work in any environment. But it all comes down to a matter of opinion and what you like, you wont go wrong either way. The .40 on the other hand well its not cool enough IMO to get me away from my .45's but that doesnt make it a bad round. I personally just dont have a need for it. Though it is a very good round for someone whos hands are to small for a .45 but they want more power than a 9mm. In which case I personally would take my .38 super over the 9 or .40 YMMV.

mingaa
05-21-2012, 11:18
This one is apples vs oranges and a matter of taste - it's been stated that each gun has it own tear sheet and though I'm not sure which 1911 is involved, as long as it's a good unit it's a moot point.

Personally don't like to carry either - I do city / daily carry single stack but I keep it smaller than the 1911s with a Kahr CW9 and a Taurus 709 Slim. I like light DOA and striker fire. My G22 is my #1 HD unit. I shoot the 34 IDPA and any of my full size go woods walking when I can / will carry OWB.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6966806338_11154c1eaf.jpg

Cobra64
05-22-2012, 21:47
I also dont think a 1911 for carry is for everyone. I am still learning as well but I dont feel a person should be openly criticized in that manner

Felt recoil impulse tolerance is subjective.

I can shoot my 1911s or my P220 all day long. However, I cannot tolerate more than one or two mags shot from a G22 or from my P229 originally in .40 (since converted to 9mm).

glock2740
05-22-2012, 22:23
:rofl:I've heard it all now. :upeyes: :faint:

Snaps
05-22-2012, 22:44
people who love or hate things will never change.

GasTurbine
05-24-2012, 11:15
First off, apples and oranges. Both are built on proven, but different platforms, but with that being said, I carry a Glock over a 1911 for two reasons...

1. No extra step to fire Glock. Yes, you can train your brains out to flip that safety off as you draw a 1911, and even burn it in as muscle memory, but its still an extra step...one you will need to preform while your heart rate is rising and your body is being flushed with adrenalin.

2. Reliability. I have three 1911s, all of which have had some sort issue. FTE, FTF, etc. Now I know you can get then to run right eventually, but they do require more "attention" to do so. Most 1911s are very finicky to feed lips and ramps, extractors, ejectors and so on. You can also amplify the problems when loading JHP too. In fact, my Kimber manual tells me to run FMJ only.

I will not carry a gun I cant trust 100%.

Just my $.02 on the carry issues...this being a Glock forum, you probably dont want to hear my opinion on trigger or accuracy per 1911 vs. Glock. :supergrin:

Glolt20-91
05-24-2012, 12:05
To each their own, but back on topic, I find Glocks uncomfortable to CCW IWB because the square shaped slide rubs hard on my hip bone, not so with 1911s, Browning Hi Power or even Steyrs.

Muzzle flip on Glock 40s compared to other platforms is also an issue for me and one that is not present in a Steyr, or 1911.

I've trained, qualified, carried and used 1911s when the needs arose and have found the platform to be very reliable. John Browning was a genius at designing ergonomics and point ability, culminating with the Hi Power IMHO and I've chosen the BHP over Glocks for concealed IWB carry when not carrying a 1911 Government.

BuckyP
05-24-2012, 12:25
To each their own, but back on topic, I find Glocks uncomfortable to CCW IWB because the square shaped slide rubs hard on my hip bone, not so with 1911s, Browning Hi Power or even Steyrs.

I find the opposite to be true, 1911s harder because of all the "stuff" sticking out of the gun (hammer, beavertail). :dunno:

mrsurfboard
05-24-2012, 14:56
Back to the 1911 vs. Glock 27 debate...

I have 3 1911's and have owned a 1911 since 1983. I pretend to be no expert on 1911's, but I do know from experience that I shoot a 1911 better than any pistol I have ever shot, with the exception of my S&W Model 25. Despite several hundred rounds of ammunition and the best efforts of a couple Glock owners, I just cannot shoot a Glock well. I bought, on impulse, a 27 last January, and find the trigger atrocious and the recoil brutal. This is the only gun I have ever shot that cuts my trigger finger and wears a sore spot on the palm of my hand. I have tried to sell it, but several prospective buyers have shot this thing and all have declined.

If anyone here likes the Glock 27, and finds it works for them, more power to them. I would never try to talk them out of carrying it. But there is no way I will.

This pretty much sums it up for me. The 1911 I shoot the best, the Glock I shoot the worst.

buckhorn_cortez
05-24-2012, 20:48
There are so many pistols that work just as well as a Glock. SIGS, H&K's, FN's, XDm's, M&P's - they all work just as well.

I can never figure out the big hoopla about Glocks. They're just another polymer pistol that works no better than the others listed. Glock is the proverbial one trick pony. They make one gun design in different sizes - that's it. Frankly, I find that quite unremarkable.

Wil Ufgood
05-24-2012, 20:51
There are so many pistols that work just as well as a Glock. SIGS, H&K's, FN's, XDm's, M&P's - they all work just as well.

I can never figure out the big hoopla about Glocks. They're just another polymer pistol that works no better than the others listed. Glock is the proverbial one trick pony. They make one gun design in different sizes - that's it. Frankly, I find that quite unremarkable.
:yourock:

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 04:20

Ahem...those that live in glass houses...

GasTurbine
05-25-2012, 05:16

But none are as simple as a Glock. Detail strip your Hk...let me know how that works out.

I can never figure out the big hoopla about Glocks.

I dont think anybody said that, however, all of my Glocks go bang every time I pull the trigger...I cant say that for my Hks.

They're just another polymer pistol that works no better than the others listed.

Can you site your sources for such a proclamation?

scottz0369
05-25-2012, 05:34
I've owned a 1911 since 1994, and only just recently bought a G30 for CC. The only thing I don't care for on the G30 is the trigger. It feels squishy, but I'm probably spoiled by a nicely tuned 1911 trigger.