Taurus 738 TCP or KEL-TEC P-3AT [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 738 TCP or KEL-TEC P-3AT

Simplejack
05-13-2012, 18:58
Which is the better gun? I'm thinking it is probably the KEL-TEC P-3AT, but I want to know what you all think.

Please don't list a bunch of other guns as I am only interested in these 2 here because of its low price and small size.
I'm looking for a gun that I can carry in my back pocket.

ChicagoZman
05-13-2012, 20:24
I don't own either but talking to a couple of guys I know that have owned and carried both at various times, I would go with the Taurus. It also "feels" better to me and has some features the Kel-Tec doesn't, like the slide stop lever and a lifetime guaranty.

But I don't think you would be unhappy with either one.

marv
05-13-2012, 21:10
I own both, and several others. I have a 'thing' for mouse guns. Between the two the P3AT has a more contoured grip and butt making it more invisible in a pocket. The 738 has somewhat better sights and a much better trigger. The rest is a tossup as both have a lifetime warranty. I bought looser fitting pants with bigger pockets and the 738 is my LDC.

TexasTrash
05-13-2012, 21:20
If you go with the TCP get one that the serial number ends with C. I have one that ends with B, and I have shot over 400 rounds through it and still have failure to feed problems. The A models had a lot of problems the B's are hit or miss but I haven't seen anything bad about the C models. I love it, but just can't get over the feed problem, its going back to Taurus next week.

Foxtrotx1
05-13-2012, 21:21
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

mingaa
05-13-2012, 21:23
I know, I know BUT what about a Glock inspired pocket 9 mm Taurus 709 for $270?? That is my current summer pocket gun and it's a gem. Palmetto is a great sight staffed by a solid staff. I'm just saying...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/checkout/cart/

Simplejack
05-13-2012, 21:34
Long time ago when I was looking at a Beretta 92 FS SS, I checked out the Taurus version and it felt like total junk. but, since this is a different gun, I was hoping maybe it's a better model of pistol and has a little more quality feel to it?

Simplejack
05-13-2012, 22:53
If you go with the TCP get one that the serial number ends with C. I have one that ends with B, and I have shot over 400 rounds through it and still have failure to feed problems. The A models had a lot of problems the B's are hit or miss but I haven't seen anything bad about the C models. I love it, but just can't get over the feed problem, its going back to Taurus next week.

I'll look into that, thanks

Simplejack
05-13-2012, 22:55
I know, I know BUT what about a Glock inspired pocket 9 mm Taurus 709 for $270?? That is my current summer pocket gun and it's a gem. Palmetto is a great sight staffed by a solid staff. I'm just saying...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/checkout/cart/

I don't see that gun fitting in my back pocket nicely..

Folsom_Prison
05-13-2012, 23:02
What's the prices on the guns?

CBennett
05-14-2012, 08:45
taurus hands down..but id like to know the price on them to see if I could get anything else cloe to the price. but ive shot the P3at(fine but meh), LCP and it was really quite nice much better than the P3at, and ive only shot 1 clip of ammo through the Taurus so VERY limited but ive read a bunch of reviews also that have said its decent for a small pocket gun. Im hoping to get some more trigger time on the Taurus actually...of your choices for me it would easily be the Taurus..but id want to know price cause in the range(that the P3at and Taurus are in there are others that sometimes go on sale or can be had for near the same $$ like the LCP which id take over either of the mentioned guns heck at one point id even seen a hell of a sale on the S&W Bodyguard that was within $50 of the 2 you mentioned and id easily spend the extra $50 for that.

Aahzz
05-14-2012, 08:57
I've owned both. Both were perfectly reliable for me. I preferred the feel and sights of the Taurus, and shot it better, so that would be my choice. I ended up selling both and keeping and S&W Bodyguard, because I like that even better. Still, I felt that either the Kel-Tec or the Taurus was a perfectly good pocket carry choice. Pick the one that feels better to you, and then test it thoroughly.

travis34769
05-14-2012, 17:30

HMMMMMM

Lets break this down:

Taurus repair time: 5 Weeks.

Kel-Tec repair time: 14 Weeks.

Conclusion: Either Kel-Tec dont care your gun dont work, they are slow, or just get to many broke guns back........

Source: Just sent two guns back because customers had problems with jamming on both models.

Just my .02

maxpower220
05-15-2012, 05:48
Around here, Taurus is selling the gun without the carry case for around $200 (varies a little by dealer). Given that, I don't want or need one, but may buy it due to how cheap it is.

If you have a chance, shoot both before buying. First hand, the KT was the most uncomfortable gun that I have ever owned to shoot.

mgs
10-13-2012, 19:03
Just got a TCP PT738C....seems well made and has the best sights & trigger. I field stripped it and lubed and it already had factory lube. Looks like a nice pisol compaired to 4 others I handled in 380....range report coming.

bac1023
10-13-2012, 19:43
I've had my P3AT nearly 10 years and its been great.

garya1961
10-13-2012, 20:40
Kel-Tec is a small company but has great customer service. My P3AT is the gun I carry most.

Caver 60
10-13-2012, 21:03
Got a Taurus MIL PRO PT145. Not sure of the generation but it was prior to the SA/DA gen's. Love it. Never even seen, let alone shot, the 380 Taurus.

I do have two P3AT's and would buy a third, if I found one at a steal. Yes the early first generations had problems out the you know what. My first generation was no exception. But I fixed them all myself with internet guidance as posted on the sticky in the GT Kel Tec forum. It's got way over 3,000 trouble free rounds through it since I fixed it. (Ammo was cheap back then.)

My second generation P3AT had one minor issue that I easily fixed in the first 50 rounds. There was a sharp burr on the bottom of the extractor that caused feeding hang-ups. I smoothed it, and that resolved the problem. Way over 1,000 rounds through it, trouble free since then.

I personally don't consider the P3AT to be any problem to shoot accurately. At close range I use the point and shoot technique. At long ranges the sights are adequate for me. I'm talking 10 to 50 yards for long range.

Just for grins I've even tried 100 yards with it. About a 10 by 10 foot square. But my eyesight had degraded considerably with age. If I were younger, I'm sure I could do better, like M2 Carbine does.

mgs
10-23-2012, 17:22
Just fired my Taurus TCP 738 stainless today and it ran 100% and is accurate. PMC Bronze Ball and Hornady FTX worked perfect and same point of aim at 7yds. I'm very happy with it for a pocket gun.

Taphius
10-24-2012, 00:54
If you get a good one the tcp is a damn nice gun. Trigger is really good for such a small pistol. Mine ran flawless after I learned not to limp wrist it (serial code B model)

CBennett
10-24-2012, 06:35
Taurus

Reb 56
11-01-2012, 22:43

Or Kel-Tec either.

Darkangel1846
11-02-2012, 08:14
I've had too many Taurus fail on me to ever buy another one. I have a KelTec 380 for pocket carry....has worked everytime I've wanted to fire it.