Life under a gun ban [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Life under a gun ban

MisterMark
05-13-2012, 21:21
I moved to Bermuda at the turn of the century and only returned to the USA recently.

The island has one airport and an absolute ban on guns. The weapons had been rounded up and collected by the police. Police did not carry guns, individuals could not carry guns. Here is a short list of the results that I saw.

1. Youth and strength rule the day when weapons are not involved.

2. Bad guys didn't care if homes were occupied. The would be robber just walked in the door and did what he wanted. He was young and strong, perhaps carrying a gardening tool or sports gear (cricket bat, machete or whatever). He did what he wanted, rape was neither rare nor reported. That is NOT to say that you faced a greater chance of being a victim than some parts of the USA, just saying your odds were even worse if your number came up.

3. There was talk of banning knife sales, which would have made food preparation kind of hard.

4. The transportation of sports equipment and machetes was regulated. Which I think would have meant that only bad guys could play cricket or trim hedges (yes, trimming was often done with machetes, I don't know why)

5. Only the bad guys had guns. It seemed like there were two or three shootings a year.

6. There was talk of permitting pepper spray but it was stopped for fear someone could use it on the police.

7. The number of murders was seeming to increase, though the government and The Royal Gazette and other media there became adversarial enough that it was hard to tell what was really happening.

8. The best people were becoming more and more afraid, the worst walked free look up Rebecca Middleton.

It was a beautiful island with a core of amazing, kind and caring people. They hoped to make their little bit of paradise better by taking away the criminal's ability to commit crimes.

Go for vacation with confidence that if you follow the rules, be aware and show respect you will have a very expensive but enjoyable trip.

But living there?

Well, living there convinced me that we must exercise our rights simply because we can. One of the best reasons to fight for and keep our individual ability to safeguard ourselves is what we might become if we turn that over to the government.

So I carry because I can. Simply to exercise the right. I hope to god I never ever am able to justify it by actively defending myself, but should the need arise I will be prepared, and thanking god that I don't live somewhere that abridges my responsibility for my family's safety.

jeanderson
05-17-2012, 08:00
So I carry because I can. Simply to exercise the right. I hope to god I never ever am able to justify it by actively defending myself, but should the need arise I will be prepared, and thanking god that I don't live somewhere that abridges my responsibility for my family's safety.

First, welcome back to America - where liberty still exists!

I am right with you on exercising the right. A few months ago, I sensed everything was coming unraveled in the US and our liberties were being taken away, one by one. It's what spurred me to go out and by my first gun. I too hope I will never have to use it on anyone, but just having the right to own a gun and use it if necessary is an incredibly empowering feeling!

Numismatist
05-17-2012, 08:08
5. Only the bad guys had guns. It seemed like there were two or three shootings a year.

I agree with your complete post. I own property in St. Thomas, USVI where it seems every local has a gun. There are 2-3 shootings a week there...so there is more to the puzzle than banning or not banning guns I think. I wish I could carry when I go there, instead I just stay inside at night and avoid town...