take down bow for survival situation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : take down bow for survival situation

Snaps
05-13-2012, 23:04
So I watched the avengers today and the take drown bow gave me the idea that it'd make a good thing to have. Do they actually make anything like that that'd fit in a backpack and make a good deer slayer?

Big Bird
05-14-2012, 06:46
If you have to ask about this you don't really want it. A traditional bow is like a set of golf clubs or a guitar. Just because you own one doesn't mean you can use it well. A trad bow (takedown or otherwise) requires practice and you have to work on form just like with golfclubs or a guitar. It takes many thousands of practice shots to be competent with a bow. And a decent take-down l bow will set you back $400-700 not counting arrows which will run about $100 a dozen Plus broadheads and arm guard and the half dozen shooting tabs/gloves you will go through before you find one you like. All in its over a grand to get set up properly--maybe less if you know what to look for and buy used off some of the archery forums. But you probably won't do it for less than $600 and as I said, buying the thing is the easy part. Its the hundreds of hours of practice that gets in the way.

For most people the time and money would be far better spent with other S&P preps. I Hunt and shoot trad bows almost daily and they are WAY down on my list of S&P items.

YMMV

pmwglock19
05-14-2012, 08:23
I could see having a traditional bow in a SHTF scenario. By keeping it simple, the only extra besides arrows would be bow string. But I do agree with the hundred of hours of practice needed to become decent at hitting a target.

Toyman
05-14-2012, 08:54
While certainly a possibility for limited situations, a bow is simply not the best for survival. The cost of arrows vs. the cost of a .22 round is not even close. An arrow and broadhead will cost about the same as a box of 500 .22 rounds.

You can pretty much count on 1 arrow for 1 deer. They often break or are lost.

If you have the time to prepare, a take down .22 would be a much better choice.

About the only advantage bows have is the noise factor in populated areas.

RichJ
05-14-2012, 10:25
I have a "kill" arrow/broadhead that I've taken four deer with so far.

I wanted to see how many shots on deer I could get out of it before I needed to sharpen the blades or replace the shaft. So far this arrow has hit the dirt twice that I know of after pass-throughs, yet the blades are still sharp enough to slice leather. There are no cracks or splinters in the shaft so I'm going to keep using it.

RWBlue
05-14-2012, 11:55
About the only advantage bows have is the noise factor in populated areas.

The problem there is deer tend to run when shot. If in a populated area, the deer may not stay where you can remain unseen.

Bravo 1
05-14-2012, 12:04
They do unless you brain them.

While difficult at best with a bow, it is simple with a .22 rimfire.

Better with a suppressed rifle.

Dead right there, and no noise.

mac66
05-14-2012, 12:17
To get back to the OPs original question. I suppose you could google "take down bow" and see what you can come with.

Natives around the world survived for thousands of years using bows and arrows to I would think they would be good to go.

edcrosbys
05-14-2012, 13:32
...Natives around the world survived for thousands of years using bows and arrows to I would think they would be good to go.

Very true!

A .22 is smaller, cheaper, more accurate, more effective, and would last longer.

Martin Saber would fit the bill of a take down recurve bow you can hunt with. You probably would want a single pin sight, kisser button and quiver. I wouldn't count on making any arrows that would be functional from stuff found in the wild (although it is done). Don't forget extra fletchings, glue and broadheads. You might want to get some judo points for small game too...

If you're still thinking about an arrow slinger, you might want to check out a crossbow! The Twinbow II is stupid expensive, but is fairly small (for a crossbow) and you (or others in your party) could easily use it without much practice!

http://www.arrowinapple.com/photos/crossbow/xl/armbrust-twinbow_ii_sixpack_riser-1691.jpg

humanguerrilla
05-14-2012, 14:19
Haven't owned a take down bow but the Martin takedown bowfishing kit is interesting.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/martin-archery-jaguar-take-down-bow-fishing-kit.aspx?a=790130

chevy01234
05-14-2012, 18:26
I shoot more shots a good night of bowfishing with my bowfishing bows than most folks shoot their hunting bows all year long. A bowfishing bow could come in handy but it's not something you are going to just pick up and automatically hit your target with it like someone else mentioned. I have taken some folks out that got lucky a few of their first shots then missed fish for 8 hours in a row.

Traditional archery equipment is limited to about 25-30 yards and that is STRETCHING it for most "experienced" shooters. I know some guys that can break hand thrown clay targets and break chips of clay targets of hand thrown targets as well. With that said, I would be willing to bet you with a box of 50 rounds and a .22 lr I can bring you back \ more deer quicker than someone with a traditional archery set up if wildlife laws no longer applied as it would be in a SHTF situation. There is a lot more to shooting a deer with the bow than just seeing a deer, not in a tree stand you have to be able to draw that bow without the animal seeing you as well as get in a position you can shoot from.

As much as I love archery, I would stick with a firearm of some sort. A dozen arrows takes up a ton of room as well! A 550 round box of .22lr would be leaps and bounds more efficient at gathering food for you and your family for a long time if you have any inkling of outdoors knowledge.

If you are just heck bent on a take down bow, look at the PSE Coyote and PSE Impala. Some higher end bows are Black Widow and Copper Head Bows (out of MS). I have a Coyote that hasn't been shot but about 5 times in my bowfishing arsenal. I shoot Oneida Ospreys primarily but enjoy shooting traditional archery equipment every now and then. I only shoot instinctive (meaning no sights) on all my bowfishing bows. My hunting bows of course have sights but they don't get shot much to be honest!

mac66
05-14-2012, 18:36
Very true!

A .22 is smaller, cheaper, more accurate, more effective, and would last longer.

Martin Saber would fit the bill of a take down recurve bow you can hunt with. You probably would want a single pin sight, kisser button and quiver. I wouldn't count on making any arrows that would be functional from stuff found in the wild (although it is done). Don't forget extra fletchings, glue and broadheads. You might want to get some judo points for small game too...

If you're still thinking about an arrow slinger, you might want to check out a crossbow! The Twinbow II is stupid expensive, but is fairly small (for a crossbow) and you (or others in your party) could easily use it without much practice!

While I would much rather have a gun than a bow, eventually your gun turns into a club without ammo. Whereas a bow is pretty simple and arrowheads can be fashioned out of lots of things and they can be quite effective. It probably took primitive people thousands of years to figure out how to make a bow. We on the other hand have history, books, and modern materials going for us.

I am no expert with a bow but I hunted and killed deer, turkey, rabbits and other critters with them. I think it has some use in a survival situation.

Snaps
05-14-2012, 20:08
I do archery season every year, but that's a compound bow, takes up more space than some of my rifles.

and far as googling, tried it, found some results, doesn't really mean much to me. I like the idea of trying to figure out the idea from people thinking in the same kinda situation as me.

RWBlue
05-15-2012, 14:20
While I would much rather have a gun than a bow, eventually your gun turns into a club without ammo.

I believe the idea is to have enough ammo that you will never live to use it all. Or at least that is my plan. Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

Snaps
05-16-2012, 23:31
I believe the idea is to have enough ammo that you will never live to use it all. Or at least that is my plan. Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

I need a good .22 rifle too

mac66
05-17-2012, 06:54

I am pretty sure that the world isn't going to end anytime soon and we are unlikely to be thrown back into the dark ages. Even so, having some skill with a bow might be beneficial.

BTW, 70's and 80's compound bows are dirt cheap and are still very good bows. I bought a Bear Polar II and Browning Cobra at a garage sale recently for $25 for the pair and that included a dozen arrows.

I killed quite a few deer back in the day with Bear Whitetail Hunter which is a pretty basic, entry level bow.

Lone Kimono
05-17-2012, 20:57
I need a good .22 rifle too

This^ Bows and arrows are fun, but it's a lot easier to buy 20,000 rounds of .22 and a can ;)

Snaps
05-22-2012, 00:37
Tried to buy a damn .22 savage rifle today... HOWEVER, when I got to the store I saw this message.

PLEASE NOTE: THE BACKGROUND SYSTEM WILL BE DOWN ON SUNDAY, MAY 20 AND MONDAY, MAY 21. THEREFORE, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANY FIREARM SALES OR TRANSFERS. IT SHOULD BE BACK IN OPERATION ON TUESDAY, MAY 22.

So the great state of PA, which refuses to use NIC instead uses a state only system decides to shut it down for two days and all the sudden nobody can buy a gun. How convenient.

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 11:52
Tried to buy a damn .22 savage rifle today... HOWEVER, when I got to the store I saw this message.

PLEASE NOTE: THE BACKGROUND SYSTEM WILL BE DOWN ON SUNDAY, MAY 20 AND MONDAY, MAY 21. THEREFORE, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANY FIREARM SALES OR TRANSFERS. IT SHOULD BE BACK IN OPERATION ON TUESDAY, MAY 22.

So the great state of PA, which refuses to use NIC instead uses a state only system decides to shut it down for two days and all the sudden nobody can buy a gun. How convenient.

Computers need to be updated every so often. Don't think of this like a conspiracy unless it is not back up on Wednesday.

BTW, This is another reason why I say get it when you can vs. waiting until you need it.