Are there any states in the South to avoid when transporting firearms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are there any states in the South to avoid when transporting firearms?

my762buzz
05-14-2012, 06:36
And how about any specific cities to really avoid?

1gewehr
05-14-2012, 08:53
Maryland can be persnickety. Keep your firearms locked in the trunk and completely unloaded with ammo stored apart.
Washington, DC - avoid as guns are illegal for all practical purposes.

All other states and cities in the Southeast should be fine. Recognize that the larger the city, the more likely cops are to be liberal. Atlanta, Memphis, and Charlotte come to mind.

Haldor
05-14-2012, 10:48
NC has some interesting laws regarding handgun ownership. If you are just passing through and follow Federal guidelines you will be OK, but I am not sure about carrying a loaded pistol in NC if you are from out of state.

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 10:52
Don't know what state you're from but this is good info:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

When I drive from Virginia to Florida, I have to stop at the Georgia border, put my weapon in the trunk, go thru Georgia, then stop again after the Florida border and get it back out of the trunk.

WoodenPlank
05-14-2012, 11:04
NC has some interesting laws regarding handgun ownership. If you are just passing through and follow Federal guidelines you will be OK, but I am not sure about carrying a loaded pistol in NC if you are from out of state.

So long as you have a CCW that NC recognizes, you're fine. I don't remember what open carry restrictions may be in regard to out-of-state visitors, though.

my762buzz
05-14-2012, 13:13
They will be locked in a case in an SUV. No personal carry involved. All will be unloaded. I am most concerned with states from Georgia to Arizona.

cowboywannabe
05-14-2012, 13:17

When I drive from Virginia to Florida, I have to stop at the Georgia border, put my weapon in the trunk, go thru Georgia, then stop again after the Florida border and get it back out of the trunk.

you dont know the law in Georgia.

no matter what state you are from, in Georgia you can carry a loaded gun accessable in your car without a permit.

as in the glove box, the center console, under the seat...et cetera. your car is an extention of your home, the same as S.C. for vehicular travel.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 14:02
you dont know the law in Georgia.

no matter what state you are from, in Georgia you can carry a loaded gun accessable in your car without a permit.

as in the glove box, the center console, under the seat...et cetera. your car is an extention of your home, the same as S.C. for vehicular travel.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

This is what I was told by the Georgia State Police. Plus this is what the law I read said:

OCGA 16-11-128 - A Georgia Weapons License (GWL), or a recognized out-of-state permit, is required for open carry of any handgun outside of one's home, property, motor vehicle, or place of business.

Georgia does not recognize my Virginia permit and I do not have a Georgia permit. And carrying a gun in the glove box, the center console, under the seat is definitely carrying concealed.

cowboywannabe
05-14-2012, 14:30
This is what I was told by the Georgia State Police. Plus this is what the law I read said:

OCGA 16-11-128 - A Georgia Weapons License (GWL), or a recognized out-of-state permit, is required for open carry of any handgun outside of one's home, property, motor vehicle, or place of business.

Georgia does not recognize my Virginia permit and I do not have a Georgia permit. And carrying a gun in the glove box, the center console, under the seat is definitely carrying concealed.

you still havent read the law. lemme hep ya a bit.

16-11-126(a)

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 14:33
you still havent read the law. lemme hep ya a bit.

16-11-126(a)

Thanks. That will be a relief next time I drive thru.

ca survivor
05-15-2012, 06:24
I think you are looking at the open carry portion of the law..........

Old School
05-15-2012, 10:39
Avoid Chapel Hill, NC - that's good advice in general, but very applicable to firearms.

Haldor
05-15-2012, 18:39
They will be locked in a case in an SUV. No personal carry involved. All will be unloaded. I am most concerned with states from Georgia to Arizona.

As long as you are following federal guidelines for interstate transport you are good to go. Unloaded and locked in a case is good anywhere in the country as long as the gun is legal both in the state you are coming from and legal in your destination.

Now if you stop and spend some time in a gun unfriendly state that is a different story. I don't believe there are any gun unfriendly states between Georgia and Arizona.

m14fan
05-15-2012, 21:08
Mississippi your car is an extension of your home,Jackson isn't much of a problem,and don't think any other large city in ms. is either.Memphis isnt bad stupid about it but check the laws.Louisiana can be weird look up their laws and be perfectly behaved,some parishes can be weird.Kinda like Texas,its a whole 'nother country.Nawlins and Shreveport can be crazy about it despite state law being friendly.

Did you ever hear the one about the northerner moving to Louisiana being scared to death.The guy he was talking to was born and raised in Louisiana said it wasn't as bad as everyone said.Find a good neighborhood with a good school,and it wasnt any worse than anywhere else.The yankee asked him where he was from and what he did for a living.The guy from Louisiana replied "I'm a machinegunner on a Budweiser truck in Shreveport":supergrin:
I love 'em but them coonas....em cajuns are crazy.
And if your in Louisiana and eating the most delicious meal you ever put in your mouth,and don't know what it is,DONT ASK.:rofl:

my762buzz
05-16-2012, 07:11
Nawlins and Shreveport can be crazy about it despite state law being friendly.

Someone on another board posted this about New Orleans

A large percentage of the cops are corrupt, and those in and around New Orleans will just confiscatre your guns for no stated reason, refuse to give you a receipt, and then deny they every had them.

You've been warned.

DGreno
05-16-2012, 09:45
NC now recognizes ALL out of state permits. If you have a CCW from anywhere, you can carry in NC.

http://handgunlaw.us/ --- CLick on "NC" and you can see all of the information.

thisaway
05-16-2012, 18:20
Tennessee is a fairly "gun-friendly" state.

cowboy1964
05-16-2012, 18:33
Correct me if I'm wrong but I checked into this last year and I couldn't even see how to legally transport a firearm through Maryland at all as an out-of-stater.

Haldor
05-17-2012, 19:52
Correct me if I'm wrong but I checked into this last year and I couldn't even see how to legally transport a firearm through Maryland at all as an out-of-stater.

Maryland is ignoring federal law?

2. Travel in Interstate Commerce with Firearm – A person is entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose, from one State where his firearms possession is legal to another State where his firearms possession is legal, and the firearms may not be seized by State or local Police if:

a. During the transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammo being transported is readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment, or

b. In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm and ammo shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

926A, see also Article VI, U.S. Constitution, Supremacy Clause

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html

2RemingtonFireballs
05-17-2012, 21:46
Maryland can be persnickety. Keep your firearms locked in the trunk and completely unloaded with ammo stored apart.
Washington, DC - avoid as guns are illegal for all practical purposes.

All other states and cities in the Southeast should be fine. Recognize that the larger the city, the more likely cops are to be liberal. Atlanta, Memphis, and Charlotte come to mind.

1gewehr hit it right on the mark. I've traveled a lot throughout the SEC states over the years. Pay particular attention to the big cities and Maryland (like he said) that is where I've had hiccups.

my762buzz
05-17-2012, 22:52
Maryland is ignoring federal law?

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html

Massachusetts is probably the most obvious state to avoid.
They ignore the Federal law your citing. They dont' care.
Instant felony charge for gun possession anywhere in the car. Fortunately, I will not be passing through there ever.

Paul53
05-18-2012, 20:22

Excellent link, thanks for posting it. Suresimplifies things. As far as the concrete fuzzy nuts, must have been a terrible accident, hope you've been able to adapt, I imagine you must use a chain mail jock strap.

concretefuzzynuts
05-19-2012, 02:49
Excellent link, thanks for posting it. Suresimplifies things. As far as the concrete fuzzy nuts, must have been a terrible accident, hope you've been able to adapt, I imagine you must use a chain mail jock strap.

:rofl: I was given that nickname by a friend. After that, it just hung on me.

MAGlock
05-19-2012, 17:50
Massachusetts is probably the most obvious state to avoid.
They ignore the Federal law your citing. They dont' care.
Instant felony charge for gun possession anywhere in the car. Fortunately, I will not be passing through there ever.

And you have knowledge about this how?

Travel through is fine, stopping not so much.

rgregoryb
05-19-2012, 18:56
if you are from the north, we prefer you just stay away..............:supergrin:

JRWnTN
05-19-2012, 19:33
Tennessee is a fairly "gun-friendly" state.

Only if you have a handgun carry permit, the laws can be quite technical.

my762buzz
05-20-2012, 02:37
And you have knowledge about this how?

Travel through is fine, stopping not so much.

One of my inlaws is a sheriff deputy in Mass.

I was well instructed on what the laws are regarding possession of firearms whether traveling through or else.
If you can actually prove otherwise by citing state law, this would be the first time I ever seen such.

m14fan
05-20-2012, 19:11
Someone on another board posted this about New Orleans

Actually 762,my girlfriend has a friend thats a police chief in louisiana.His son came to visit from another state.He and his friends got jumped in the french quarter by 2 thugs and they kicked their butts.The thugs had long rap sheets.The chiefs son and his 2 friends I.D. themselves as officers from another state.

So you think its over?this is Nawlins.The cops get cuffed ,left on their knees with their pants and underwear pulled down to their knees while NOPD took their time got thug statements told all other witnesses to leave.Their guns confiscated and "disapeared" and were in jail for 3 weeks before the guys dad found them.Two years later they get out of jail for among other charges IMPERSONATING A NEW ORLEANS POLICE OFFICER,and 60k poorer.

Their home dept.was able to clear them from the other side of the country.They went strait back to work.

New Orleans aint s#!*.

DairyFresh
05-20-2012, 19:48
I live in Alabama, and I resent the implication and assumption that Maryland is a southern state :steamed:

my762buzz
05-20-2012, 21:36
So you think its over?this is Nawlins.The cops get cuffed ,left on their knees with their pants and underwear pulled down to their knees while NOPD took their time got thug statements told all other witnesses to leave.Their guns confiscated and "disapeared" and were in jail for 3 weeks before the guys dad found them.Two years later they get out of jail for among other charges IMPERSONATING A NEW ORLEANS POLICE OFFICER,and 60k poorer.

Their home dept.was able to clear them from the other side of the country.They went strait back to work.

New Orleans aint s#!*.

The more I hear about New Orleans it really sounds like a
_____ hole as far as the corrupt cops.

chevy01234
05-21-2012, 17:24
Mississippi you should be good to go!

I would gladly buy replacements for ten guns "confiscated" in New Orleans than go unarmed there ONE day! I carry small, unobtrusive guns and mind my P's and Q's. Don't get in "trouble" and avoid the problem areas like the plague!

I have never been harassed by the police in New Orleans in the many time's i've visited. I have however been harassed by pan handlers and see some pretty undesirable areas "on accident". My dad watched a man get shot in the head down there at one of the parades during a failed robbery. If I have to be in New Orleans, I am armed.

Got lost down there in an F350 pulling an Airboat trying to get a buddy from Minnesota back to the airport after a big bowfishing tournament farther South (around Lafitte)! We took a couple wrong turns and ended up in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. Luckily it was early and most of the "undesirables" were still sleeping off the night before but I was in the hood! Pretty sure I would have had to call the Coast Guard to come rescue me if I had gotten pinned down!

rgregoryb
05-21-2012, 18:13
I live in Alabama, and I resent the implication and assumption that Maryland is a southern state :steamed:

amen, cuz!

m14fan
05-22-2012, 15:29
Mississippi you should be good to go!

I would gladly buy replacements for ten guns "confiscated" in New Orleans than go unarmed there ONE day! I carry small, unobtrusive guns and mind my P's and Q's. Don't get in "trouble" and avoid the problem areas like the plague!

I have never been harassed by the police in New Orleans in the many time's i've visited. I have however been harassed by pan handlers and see some pretty undesirable areas "on accident". My dad watched a man get shot in the head down there at one of the parades during a failed robbery. If I have to be in New Orleans, I am armed.

Got lost down there in an F350 pulling an Airboat trying to get a buddy from Minnesota back to the airport after a big bowfishing tournament farther South (around Lafitte)! We took a couple wrong turns and ended up in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. Luckily it was early and most of the "undesirables" were still sleeping off the night before but I was in the hood! Pretty sure I would have had to call the Coast Guard to come rescue me if I had gotten pinned down!

It's not the replacing guns you have to worry about,it's the jail time for questionable charges.N.O didnt used to be that bad.

concretefuzzynuts
05-22-2012, 16:32

It's below that pesky Mason Dixon line.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/lgcolor/mdmasondixon.htm

The Southern States Capitol was here in Va. Some don't think Va is a southern commonwealth.

Deaf Smith
05-22-2012, 17:40
Are there any states in the South to avoid when transporting firearms?

Yea.. Mexico (Old, not New Mexico.) Make sure you stop at that little river called the Rio Grande. Those that cross it tend to come to grief.

Deaf