New SHTF TV drama - Revolution [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New SHTF TV drama - Revolution

Bilbo Bagins
05-14-2012, 07:20
I seen the preview for Revolution last night. Looks pretty interesting. Its a permanent "Lights Out" Scenario, and it picks up on American life 15 years later. Its an NBC show, so I don't know their track record. Hopefully they will not handle it like CBS handled Jericho.

Revolution - Trailer - YouTube

Its funny, but between Falling Skies, The Walking Dead, and other shows like this, I find myself watching regular network TV series more then I did in a long time.

dissthis
05-14-2012, 07:33
I guess NBC thinks only muskets, crossbows and swords will be the only weapons left after 15years to use.....fools...

If/when it comes on NetFlix...I'll check it out...(no cable)

CourtCop
05-14-2012, 07:38
I'll give it a shot

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cwlongshot
05-14-2012, 07:41
Agreed. NBC not exactly a gun friendly organization....

BUT looks entertaining...

CW

FL Airedale
05-14-2012, 08:04
I guess NBC thinks only muskets, crossbows and swords will be the only weapons left after 15years to use.....fools...

I think NBC executives are fools too but I got this by watching their "news" broadcasts.

A lot of series are available for streaming on the internet on the network's site. I hope this one is.

DoctaGlockta
05-14-2012, 09:30
Hey the Chicken Man from Breaking Bad is back.

Deployment Solu
05-14-2012, 10:01
I just hope they don't drop the ball like with Jerico. I would have liked to see that series continued.

G22Dude
05-14-2012, 11:14
Rather that learn how to fight with a sword I think I'll continue my range time with my AK's and Glock. Just in case I need to drop some sword weilders in 15 years

Bilbo Bagins
05-14-2012, 11:45
Hey the Chicken Man from Breaking Bad is back.

I know, that is the first thing I said when I saw him. Its funny how he is typecasted as the bad guy. He seemed like such a mild mannered businessman in Breaking Bad until the whole box cutter throat slash / poisoning an entire cartel / trying to kill Walt incident.

Its good to see him working again.

http://www.tvgasm.com/wp-content/uploads/Picture-525.png

DoctaGlockta
05-14-2012, 12:22
mI know, that is the first thing I said when I saw him. Its funny how he is typecasted as the bad guy. He seemed like such a mild mannered businessman in Breaking Bad until the whole box cutter throat slash / poisoning an entire cartel / trying to kill Walt incident.

He is looking much healthier in this new series then at the end of BB.

Woofie
05-14-2012, 12:23
Looks kind of like The Postman.

Openroadracer
05-14-2012, 19:29
Bows and Flintlocks?

Snaps
05-14-2012, 19:57
Once the season ends I'll download it and try it.

I can't stand watching a show week to week anymore.

mrmedina
05-14-2012, 21:18
Hot chicks with bows............Hungergames ala TV. :supergrin:

G29Reload
05-14-2012, 21:27
I know, that is the first thing I said when I saw him. Its funny how he is typecasted as the bad guy. He seemed like such a mild mannered businessman in Breaking Bad until the whole box cutter throat slash / poisoning an entire cartel / trying to kill Walt incident.

No, its not. He STILL gives me the creeps from BrBa. :shocked:

I wanted to kill him myself. He got that evil thing DOWN.

Trailer looks good. I'm in. This fall, monday nights.

Oh s$%$. MNF….arghhhhh maybe they'll encore it?

Aceman
05-14-2012, 21:30
I suspect this is doomed - but I don't care. It only has to get me through to The Walking Dead.

TangoFoxtrot
05-15-2012, 04:49
This new series will be canceled like Jericho on CBS for sure. All the major networks perfer reality TV junk like "dancing with the stars", "I'm free and easy", and "big loser".

Stevekozak
05-15-2012, 04:58
I think these shows are funny. 15 years with no electricity, civilization has broken down, they are down to bows and muzzleloaders, and EVERYONE is perfectly clean, manicured, and have perfect haircuts.......yeah....... :)

rj1939
05-15-2012, 07:43
Anybody with an Isusu diesel engine will still have a "ride"
I never cease to be amazed at what they can survive.

Yeah, wonder how long before the network execs lose their nerve on this show.

pmwglock19
05-15-2012, 07:54
At least this won't be like the mad max and postman where people had limitless ammo and everyone fired full auto. But if their using muskets, where are the caps being produced. These are not flintlocks but cap and ball. Also where wo0uld the powder be produced?

Bilbo Bagins
05-15-2012, 08:11
At least this won't be like the mad max and postman where people had limitless ammo and everyone fired full auto. But if their using muskets, where are the caps being produced. These are not flintlocks but cap and ball. Also where wo0uld the powder be produced?

+1 I kind of laughed when some people thought they would still have ammo for their AK and AR 15 years after society collapsed.

I think after a year close to all boxed ammo would be shot up, and after 3 or 4 years even the most dedicated reloader and ammo hoarder would be out of bullets, primers, powder and usable brass.

When cops and criminal drop 100 rounds in a shootout, and military units use up thousands of rounds in a single firefight, there is no way there will be any ammo left 15 years after a society collapse.

thejellster05
05-15-2012, 09:16
Looks cool to me.

Syclone538
05-15-2012, 09:18

Most people have no idea how much ammo is in storage and how long it would last, including me. So, the average viewer is going to assume that most people have long ago run out of modern cased ammo. You can make lead balls and gun powder. I don't know how to make a case and I am assuming it is much more difficult.

RatDrall
05-15-2012, 11:52
Looks kind of like The Postman.

In so many ways, and probably just as bad.

+1 I kind of laughed when some people thought they would still have ammo for their AK and AR 15 years after society collapsed.

I think after a year close to all boxed ammo would be shot up, and after 3 or 4 years even the most dedicated reloader and ammo hoarder would be out of bullets, primers, powder and usable brass.

When cops and criminal drop 100 rounds in a shootout, and military units use up thousands of rounds in a single firefight, there is no way there will be any ammo left 15 years after a society collapse.

I doubt most people would survive long enough to shoot up their ammunition stash.

FireForged
05-15-2012, 12:35

what unlimited ammo in (mad max). Max had "at best" 5 shotgun rounds which some of those wouldnt fire. He had maybe 3 or 4 m1 carbine rounds that he removed from a tribal necklace.

ParisArms
05-15-2012, 13:14
Could be interesting. So after Marshall Law a new force will emerge? Maybe.

Dexters
05-15-2012, 14:33
Its funny, but between Falling Skies, The Walking Dead, and other shows like this, I find myself watching regular network TV series more then I did in a long time.

I'd watch it for awhile.

Just from the video - I don't like:
Everyone is just too good looking
Teeth very white & they have them all!

I'm guessing this is part of the "Global Warming" agenda - a group of people thought the only way to stop global warming was to cut of the power ...

eracer
05-15-2012, 14:51

Business is business, eh?

tim12232
05-15-2012, 21:43
Looks cool! Ill watch it, until NBC does something stupid and cancels it, like they did to the show Life a few years ago!

Donn57
05-15-2012, 22:10
When I first heard about this, I thought is was going to be a "Dies the Fire" type thing where even gunpowder doesn't work. But if they have flintlocks or percussion weapons, then not having cartridge weapons doesn't make sense.

Why would they be reduced to percussion guns? Cartridge ammunition has been around for at long time. Why wouldn't they be able to make it the same way it was made back in the middle of the 19th century?

And I understand why modern gasoline engines wouldn't work, but what about steam engines such as those used in the Stanley Steamer? Has gasoline and kerosene lost its ability to burn in this future?

I'll be very surprised if this makes it through a full season.

TangoFoxtrot
05-16-2012, 04:43
I think these shows are funny. 15 years with no electricity, civilization has broken down, they are down to bows and muzzleloaders, and EVERYONE is perfectly clean, manicured, and have perfect haircuts.......yeah....... :)

:rofl:Your 100% correct, but come on its TV. What else do you expect.
If there is a lot of drama and some romance in it, most people don't think about the reality of the story. America's drama queens won't care.

Bilbo Bagins
05-16-2012, 09:40
If there is a lot of drama and some romance in it, most people don't think about the reality of the story. America's drama queens won't care.

+ remember when people bytched about that with Jericho. At some point having skinny, dirty people riding bicycles becomes lame when compared to having a good looking hero, drive up in his pickup truck to save a curvy female with flowing blonde hair.

Dexters
05-16-2012, 11:07

Here is what I want to see in people:
- greasy hair
- shaved heads - no lice
- men with beards
- yellow teeth
- teeth missing from cavities and pebbles in food
- cripples - broken bones that were not set properly
- amputees - from infections
- dirty & ripped clothing
- pot marked children from small pox
- squinting people - no glasses
- shoeless people
- flies around people because trying to bathe in winter or cold rivers isn't something you want to do very often.

Now I know I can go to Alabama and see all that but we're talking TV here.

Lone Kimono
05-16-2012, 12:38
Hunting rounds maybe, but I could easily see people having .22, AK, and AR ammo 15 years down the line. I don't know how many rounds are here in Utah, but it's probably in the millions. If that much ammo is gone I can't see how there will be anyone left here alive.

quake
05-16-2012, 13:04
Here is what I want to see in people:
- greasy hair
- shaved heads - no lice
- men with beards
- yellow teeth
- shoeless people
- flies around people because trying to bathe in winter or cold rivers isn't something you want to do very often...

Not me; give me good-looking people and scenery on TV. Living in Arkansas, we see more than enough toothless, gimped-up barefoot folks in real life. No point watching more of them on tv.

Lone Kimono
05-16-2012, 13:35
Not me; give me good-looking people and scenery on TV. Living in Arkansas, we see more than enough toothless, gimped-up barefoot folks in real life. No point watching more of them on tv.

This^
If I want reality I'll watch the news. TV is my enjoyment time.

Dexters
05-16-2012, 13:41

Well, if we are going that route. The women should look like Jessica Simpson.

Bravo 1
05-16-2012, 14:21

You obviously have it figured out.

quake
05-16-2012, 15:35
Well, if we are going that route. The women should look like Jessica Simpson.
Simpson or Alba either one.

I'm happliy married, but my blood's still red... :cool:

shotgunred
05-16-2012, 18:47
Seems silly when they can't make ammo but can make arrows that will fly straight and strings for compound bows.
Suddenly there are a lot of good sword smiths.

G22Dude
05-16-2012, 21:58
Seems silly when they can't make ammo but can make arrows that will fly straight and strings for compound bows.
Suddenly there are a lot of good sword smiths.

I wonder where everyone got the training to become such great swordsmen

ParisArms
05-16-2012, 22:02
I wonder where everyone got the training to become such great swordsmen

I'm sure it wasn't the Internet for a change.

Sent an iPhone 4s sitting next to a Glock 17 loaded with 19 roun

M1A Shooter
05-16-2012, 23:50
people still seem to romanticizr the dark ages. this seems like a modern day twist on that with the bows and swords. might be slightly entertaining but they will not be as daring as AMC or FX in their programs.

TangoFoxtrot
05-17-2012, 04:48
+ remember when people bytched about that with Jericho. At some point having skinny, dirty people riding bicycles becomes lame when compared to having a good looking hero, drive up in his pickup truck to save a curvy female with flowing blonde hair.

Well then you watch deperate housewives instead.

[QUOTE=Dexters;18973789]Here is what I want to see in people:
- greasy hair
- shaved heads - no lice
- men with beards
- yellow teeth
- shoeless people
- flies around people because trying to bathe in winter or cold rivers isn't something you want to do very often.

But that would be the primise of the show..The realities of survival after a SHTF incident. I know that is not what the producers of the show want us to see. They have to glamourize it.

Dexters
05-17-2012, 07:38
Well then you watch deperate housewives instead.

[QUOTE=Dexters;18973789]Here is what I want to see in people:
- greasy hair
- shaved heads - no lice
- men with beards
- yellow teeth
- shoeless people

But that would be the primise of the show..The realities of survival after a SHTF incident. I know that is not what the producers of the show want us to see. They have to glamourize it.

I know. It just gets under my skin to see all the main characters in great health, with such white strait teeth and flowing clean hair.

Show some characters - and not just the bad guys - with some blemishes.

DrSticky
05-17-2012, 08:22
Simpson or Alba either one.

I'm happliy married, but my blood's still red... :cool:

Why not both?

DrSticky
05-17-2012, 08:35
Why not both?

Two is one, One is none?

Stevekozak
05-17-2012, 10:43
Two is one, One is none?
Ha ha...here is some good preppers wisdom!! :rofl:

WilyCoyote
05-22-2012, 03:46

:agree: Thanks for saying it so I didn't have to. I'll be skipping it, I won't be able to get past it.

TangoFoxtrot
05-22-2012, 04:52
I still think its going to be more of a drama fest than an after the fact survival show. They will put the drama spin on it to attract the female audience.

wjv
05-22-2012, 10:10
- No cartridge ammunition
- No gas engines (not all gas engines rely on electronic ignition)
- Everyone looks like a Hollywood model
- No electricity. Sorry but electricity = coils & magnets. No one has figured out how to rebuild a generator?

As for fuel. The guys in the late 1800s figured out how to drill for oil, and then how to refine and use oil. . . But yet no one in this story line can recreate what people were doing 100+ years ago?

- The first modern oil refineries were built by Ignacy Łukasiewicz near Jasło (then in the dependent Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria in Central European Galicia), Poland from 1854–56. These were initially small as demand for refined fuel was limited.

- The very first self-powered road vehicles were powered by steam engines and by that definition Nicolas Joseph Cugnot of France built the first automobile in 1769

- the first practical engine was built by the Belgian engineer …tienne Lenoir in 1860. His work was further researched and improved by a German engineer Nikolaus August Otto, now recognized as the inventor of the first 4-stroke internal-combustion engine to efficiently burn fuel directly in a piston chamber. In August 1864 Otto met Eugen Langen who, being technically trained, glimpsed the potential of Otto's development, and one month after the meeting, founded the first engine factory in the world, NA Otto & Cie. At the 1867 Paris World Exhibition their improved engine was awarded the Grand Prize

-

pugman
05-22-2012, 13:14
Why would they be reduced to percussion guns? Cartridge ammunition has been around for at long time. Why wouldn't they be able to make it the same way it was made back in the middle of the 19th century?

Didn't watch the video...darn work firewall...but knowledge is king.

Imagine the amount of things people have known and lost.

If you hand picked ten people in the U.S and just put them in the woods without anything and said "start a fire" maybe 2 in 10 could do it or even have the faintest clue.

Hand drill, Fire Plough, Bow Drill...those two may not have the skill or practice...but at least they would have a shot of getting one going.

Now apply this to making gunpower, casting bullets or even producing cartridges? How many people in the U.S even have this knowledge - 1 in 100 maybe.

quake
05-22-2012, 13:24
I still think its going to be more of a drama fest than an after the fact survival show. They will put the drama spin on it to attract the female audience.
True, but I actually don't mind; if dad watches for the action potential, and mom watches for the drama, at least they're watching, and being exposed to the concepts of some of the things we discuss here. Whatever it takes to get more wives & mothers thinking about the "what-ifs" of our just-in-time, utility-dependent infrastructure is a good thing, and getting couples to think about them together is a good thing imo also. Heck, whatever it takes to get people thinking about, well, most anything nowadays, is potentially a good thing.

The hunger games for example. It's a teenager-popular book, but I confess I've read it myself. May yet see the movie, but suspect it'd be disappointing. Thing is, I'd much rather see a teenager - ie, future voter - reading the hunger games (that does mentally bring up the concept and dangers of tyranny) than see that teenager reading another sparkly-vampire sequel.

Then again, I'm often glad just to see a teenager read, period.

gunslinger3
05-22-2012, 16:07
Thing is, I'd much rather see a teenager - ie, future voter - reading the hunger games (that does mentally bring up the concept and dangers of tyranny) than see that teenager reading another sparkly-vampire sequel.

Then again, I'm often glad just to see a teenager read, period.

:thumbsup::goodpost:

ICARRY2
06-02-2012, 16:50
I'm in. It looks good.

thesurefire
06-02-2012, 20:53

There will be shortages of many things post SHTF. Food, water, medicines are just some of them. I don't think there will be a shortage of ammo, first because there's so much of it already in stock, and second because comparatively to lots of other things its easy to make.

I just never got the absurd assumption that people will magically get into firefights daily when the SHTF. How long do you think you'll live? How long do you think the other guy will live? There are about 100 million gun owners. Most have at least a couple boxes of ammo, some horde it. Say on average 100 rounds each... That means for every 1 person theres 33 rounds of ammo.... thats not counting Military and LE stocks....

Even if you get in 1 firefight a month and burn 180 rounds in each one thats only 31k rounds. And good luck living through 180 firefights..... :rofl:

I suppose if everyone here is planning to lay down suppressive fire with a full auto every time they see movement within 200 yards of the perimeter it might go a little fast :upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

In a prolonged SHTF I would try to avoid firefights, thus I dont think ammo would be an issue at all. 15 big firefights in 15 years and even a average prepper with 3000 rounds for his rifle and 1500 for his pistol should be fine, and have stock left over... Action movie firefights are not reality. Yes the military burns through ammo because they have full autos. If full autos are part of your preps then you should have no trouble affording hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo to keep them well fed... And some here can and do :whistling:

Akita
06-02-2012, 21:24
Not enough skin on network. Gimme cable channels..........

I Shooter
06-02-2012, 22:00
If we lost the ability to use electric today tomorrow we would change to steam power. With steam you can build any thing you can with electricity. I am talking about drilling, stamping out, machining of parts can all be dun with steam power. The big problem would come in with the TV, Phone and such. Computers wold be a thing of the past. As far as modern guns go, they would still be made along with the smokeless powder. It would be like living at the turn of the 1800 to the 1900. People would wash and keep clean and have hot water as well as heated homes. Lighting wold go back to gas. Yes life wold be harder but still quite doable. No plains. For air travel we would have to go back to balloons and Zeppelins. The Zeppelins could be powered by a small steam engine. We would still be able to produce oil, gas and propane. Travel by train would be big again. Type writers would make a come back. After 10 years of no electric we should be up and running. To bad the writers of this story didn't go back to the time we were making the change in our history and work from there. Getting back to that point would be the story.

KML
06-03-2012, 08:10
Well I don't have many hunting rounds per say,but I have more ammo than most shoot in their lifetime.In 22lr I have 12,000 packed in gi 50cal cans.I consider my ar-15's as my go to rifles and my Ak's as backups but I have double,almost triple the amount of 7.62x39 ammo because it's cheaper to stock up on.I have over 25,000 rounds total.you can see half is 22lr,I actual have more 22lr because I stil buy bulk packs and shoot almost weekly.I can see handgun ammo being hard to get after 15 years but rifle ammo should be around if in limited numbers.Heck I have 2 crates of 7.62x54 for my 2 mosins.I know 3 people that have well over 100,000 rds of rifle ammo(.223,8mm,7.62x39,7.62x54) stored on racks off the ground still in crates in their basements.But very few who have more than 1,000rd of ammo for their handguns.I just got 1000rds of Fed 9bple 9mm jhp,before that I had 300 gold dots for 3 9mm handguns plus a couple hundred fmj.

Donn57
06-06-2012, 07:10
Now apply this to making gunpower, casting bullets or even producing cartridges? How many people in the U.S even have this knowledge - 1 in 100 maybe.

And yet there appear to be plenty of people who can make swords, produce flintlocks and percussion weapons, cast balls for those weapons, make bows and arrows, work leather for saddles, grow food, etc., etc.

Besides, all that happened is the lights went out. The libraries are still full of books with "lost" knowledge in them. Even tho we're all idiots now, someone, somewhere must have been sitting there bemoaning the loss of the internet and remembered that books don't need electricity.

A loss of the power grid might throw us back into the 19th century for a while, but the 19th century wasn't the middle ages.

Mike2
06-06-2012, 11:56
Just glad to see something other than a not so reality based program on, good to be able to escape the reality of life at times. Just glad to see hollywood actually doing a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit of thinking.

cowboy1964
06-06-2012, 12:39
There will always be ammo. It may be hard to come by, but it will always be out there somewhere.

glocker56
06-06-2012, 12:41
Anyone read "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen?
This book will tell you all you need to know what happens after an "EMP" strikes the country........now if they were basing this series on this book....

DoubleWide
06-10-2012, 14:04
NBC will drop this without finishing the story.

All oil and gas will be used up. There are no places to easily drill for oil any more like in the 1800s. As for electricity, I got the impression that it's tech that makes electricity not work at all except where the key was activated.See video about batteries not working, etc. Steam power would work.

Corporate farms won't support cities so there will be massive food riots. Lots of fighting and lots of death. Ammo will be used up. I don't think modern ammo will be around. Brass ammo would be a pain to make. Matchlocks are makeable with hand tools. I'm not sure how to make caps though.

People will be struggling to get food everyday and suriving. A lot of knowledge will be lost. Making steam engines just makes you a target.

Compound crossbows and bows are doable, but definitely not the norm as regular bows are just so much easier. I figure that's just to give the chick a less visible weapon and not make it too Hunger Games.

I'd like to see just regular bows and melee weapons, but people would wonder why there are no guns.

I figure the uncle knew how to sword fight and that's how he survived in Chicago in the first place.

Dirt makes reshoots a pain sometimes. Greasy and dirty makes it hard to tell a part sometimes plus it's Hollywood.

mac66
06-10-2012, 20:01
We will likely never go back to the 19th century. Maybe the early to mid 20th (before electronic everything) if SHTF but not back to the horse and buggy days. There is still a lot of people around who know how to do things. Unlike the 19th century where people had to invent new technology, we have books and resources they didn't have. I have no doubt that machine shops and businesses would pop up and start making stuff pretty quickly again.

Tx-SIG229
06-11-2012, 17:54
seems like another interpersonal drama laced show disquised as an end of the world show

Morris
09-07-2012, 11:56
Watched the pilot on Xfinity.

Unrealistic schlock. LOST, with a USB drive.

Happypuppy
09-07-2012, 12:30
From reviews i read it sounds like another teenage love story that attempts to capture all demographics and fails. All NBC needs to do is watch what AMC is doing and who they appeal to , they copy it. The potential to be good exists ...I guess. Muskets after 15 years? Compound bows? Booze? The worst the Militia of course is bad. Would not normal "good" people band together for protection, trade etc?

Sent via Mental Power

Morris
09-08-2012, 14:12
Even has the flashback sequences.

TangoFoxtrot
09-09-2012, 07:14
when does it actually air

Dexters
09-09-2012, 10:02

You can find the pilot on HULU.

Bilbo Bagins
09-09-2012, 11:17

http://www.wnypapers.com/content/images/entertainment/Revolution.jpg

I'm not excited about it, if anything it will be "better than nothing" TV watching like Terra Nova was.

Come to think of it not too many Sci-fi shows last on network TV. Terra Nova didn't last long, and Jericho died a slower death only because of an outcry by the fans

ithaca_deerslayer
09-09-2012, 11:33

That picture is funny.

There are a lot more bullets around than arrows. And archery takes a lot more skill than guns.

The advantage of bows is them being quiet. What we might need to see is a whole buch of guns with attempts at silencers :)

pugman
09-09-2012, 13:44
I'm not excited about it, if anything it will be "better than nothing" TV watching like Terra Nova was.

I read your posts and we agree on a lot...but nothing is a good starting point of what is slowly killing this country.

I'm not one of those "T.V is bad" guys but between bad reality T.V shows (The real Housewives of [insert whatever], Anything related to the Kardashians, mock Pawn Shop shows, etc), bad game shows, dramas based in a hospital/law firm/police department or copy cat sit coms what is really left?

Watching television accounts for half the lesiure time of the average American and accounts for nearly three hours a day.

Better or Nothing would probably serve this country well.

Revolution looks like The Hunger Games - everyone is clean cut, wearing designer clothes and women wearing makeup.

Kevin108
09-09-2012, 13:46

It's on NBC. That's over the air.

r3dot
09-10-2012, 10:41
I immediately recognized Gustavo from Breaking Bad in that picture.

Show looks dumb.

coqui33
09-10-2012, 11:20
All oil and gas will be used up. There are no places to easily drill for oil any more like in the 1800s.

This.:agree:

cowboy1964
09-10-2012, 12:23
Natural gas is plentiful. As is coal. Biofuels would be hot.

pugman
09-10-2012, 16:08
I read your posts and we agree on a lot...but nothing is a good starting point of what is slowly killing this country.

I'm not one of those "T.V is bad" guys but between bad reality T.V shows (The real Housewives of [insert whatever], Anything related to the Kardashians, mock Pawn Shop shows, etc), bad game shows, dramas based in a hospital/law firm/police department or copy cat sit coms what is really left?

Watching television accounts for half the lesiure time of the average American and accounts for nearly three hours a day.

Better or Nothing would probably serve this country well.

Revolution looks like The Hunger Games - everyone is clean cut, wearing designer clothes and women wearing makeup.

Ok, I gave this a shot. Have TV writers just simply given up trying to put together anything worth while?

This plot seems like it was written after someone watched the Postman and Van Damme's Cyborg circa 1989 (I should put my own eyes out for watching that crap).

Mild spoiler....then again not really since I'm saving you the trouble from watching this train wreck...

So the guy who can save the world....his brother happens to have been the former friend/partner of the General who runs the local militia in the Republic of Munroe. Munroe, if you haven't guessed it already, is the guy's name. All along there is apparently some thumb drive which can save the world. Really...this is the best you can come up with?

Do these writers get together, smoke some serious s*** and think what is the worst plot we can write a major network will pick up? Are they just trying to 1) fill a time slot 2) cash in on December, 2012 3) lose a bet

They would have been better served trying to revive Jericho

RMTactical
09-10-2012, 16:27
Bows and Flintlocks?

yeah what is up with that?

PaulMason
09-11-2012, 08:15

Come to think of it not too many Sci-fi shows last on network TV. Terra Nova didn't last long, and Jericho died a slower death only because of an outcry by the fans

I watched the pilot on Hulu. It takes place 15 years after the event yet the guy on the left in the photo is somehow overweight!

I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy. If they made a show based upon what would most likely happen, people would spend most of their time looking for food and preparing it. The characters would be dirty, with yellow teeth, teeth missing, oily hair and dirty clothes, guys with beards. They would be carrying large backpacks and not making too much distance per day. It wouldn't make fun TV. Even "The Walking Dead" doesn't go "full reality".

Bilbo Bagins
09-11-2012, 08:44
I immediately recognized Gustavo from Breaking Bad in that picture.

Show looks dumb.

+1 I like Gus, the Chicken Man. I'm just hoping the show is not a complete disgrace. Hate to see him go from winning an Emmy, to a stemming pile of horse poop.

Warp
09-11-2012, 12:54
I
I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy.

Yup.

Which is why I am totally ignoring it. Well, other than this thread.

FireForged
09-11-2012, 14:35

hahahahah! exactly.

cowboy1964
09-11-2012, 15:32
I doubt this show will last more than one season. Better shows than this have not.

Kieller
09-12-2012, 10:54
I'll probably give it a shot only because the wifey was interested in it.

Everytime I see someone swinging a sword around though, I am gonna be thinking of pulling an indiana jones...

Drilled
09-12-2012, 11:15
NBC is owned by Comcast.

The Wizard
09-12-2012, 11:19
All I have got to say about firearms post-SHTF is Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP). And they ain't using CNC machines. Check this out http://www.irinnews.org/InDepthMain.aspx?InDepthId=8&ReportId=34290

quake
09-12-2012, 12:45
All I have got to say about firearms post-SHTF is Pakistanís North West Frontier Province (NWFP). And they ain't using CNC machines. Check this out http://www.irinnews.org/InDepthMain.aspx?InDepthId=8&ReportId=34290

+1. There's a whole lot of 60-80 year old guns & ammo out there, still being used just fine. I've got a couple ~70 year old semiauto carbines, a ~70 year old WW2 1911A1 and some 'newer' 30-40 year old pistols that I'd still trust completely for defensive use, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Fifteen years is negligible in the life expectancy of most any decently-made firearm that isn't horrifically abused.

The "thrown back to the dark ages" teowtwawki storylines may (or may not) make for entertainment, but they're far from realistic.

PaulMason
09-12-2012, 13:25
The "thrown back to the dark ages" teowtwawki storylines may (or may not) make for entertainment, but they're far from realistic.

Hollywood doesn't do realistic. Although the old TV movie "The Day After" tried.

If remember the age group for the show is teenagers, what the producers are doing makes sense.

Warp
09-12-2012, 13:26
Hollywood doesn't do realistic.

Correct.

pugman
09-12-2012, 16:44
Hollywood doesn't do realistic. Although the old TV movie "The Day After" tried.

If remember the age group for the show is teenagers, what the producers are doing makes sense.

I swear if they have "Beebs" in it aged fifteen years I'm going apocolypse on NBC

Kevin108
09-12-2012, 21:07
IMDB said the leather-clad beebs in the premier were 16 so I guess NBC is safe.

Bilbo Bagins
09-17-2012, 14:23
I watched the pilot on Hulu. It takes place 15 years after the event yet the guy on the left in the photo is somehow overweight!

I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy. If they made a show based upon what would most likely happen, people would spend most of their time looking for food and preparing it. The characters would be dirty, with yellow teeth, teeth missing, oily hair and dirty clothes, guys with beards. They would be carrying large backpacks and not making too much distance per day. It wouldn't make fun TV. Even "The Walking Dead" doesn't go "full reality".

I watched it too, its was not that bad. Reminds me of Jericho. It did explain the lack of guns a little bit, apparently the civilian ownership of a firearm is a hangable offense. The Militia captain Gustavo or whatever his name is on this show pulled a Desert Eagle and just started picking off rioting villagers who were armed with bows and pick axes. There was at least two other people with shotguns, a villager who was in the riot, and another lady in a different scene with a double barreled.

It looks like the powerful and the lucky are the only people with real firearms. All the plebs and the grunt have bows, and flintlocks.

Its interesting for now, but like Jericho I think they are going to write themselves in a corner real fast.

wjv
09-17-2012, 14:42
Where is everyone (guys & gals) getting razor blades and toothpaste from?

Bren
09-17-2012, 17:02

Toothpaste isn't really necessary to keeping your teeth clean and people have been shaving for thousands of years. You'll be surprised to learn, a safety razor and crest are not survival necessities - hope that doesn't upset the preps of anybody in the S&P forum.

However, I watched the pilot for about 10 minutes and all I saw was "weak hippies are good and the people with guns are bad." Certainly not up to FX standards. I doubt I'll watch any more.

Did any good guys show up during the episiode who weren't weak*&& vegan types?

EDIT: OK, I went back and skipped to a middle scene and near the end - holy crap that sucked. Like razors, we had guns before we had electricity - even the quality of hand tools available to modern people with no electricity would be far better that Sam Colt's first guns were made with. Skipping over the question of why the discovery of basic electricity was erased by what must have been an EM pulse, how is it that people have lost all of the accumulated knowledge of the last few centuries? It looks like that demo-liberal fantasyland where if you ban guns they disappear and if you take them away, they are so mysterious and magical that ordinary humans won't be able to make more. Nobody, even the uncle who seems to be some type of action guy, has a revolver? Even the muzzleloader guys seem to have forgotten revolver technology and use swords and single shot rifles. really? Even for major network TV, I am not impressed. Jericho was a much better version of this scenario.

Nobody can generate electricity? really? never heard of steam? Never seen moving water turn a wheel?

mrmedina
09-17-2012, 18:29
I commented when the thread came out. But now I'm just curious the initial SHTF/unknown EMP. Of what happens. Maybe some ideas will pop up of what to prep for. I'm not expecting major information, just some food thought show scenes.:wavey:

quake
09-17-2012, 19:22
...apparently the civilian ownership of a firearm is a hangable offense.
a la bunraku... http://www.bunrakuthemovie.com/

Not a great movie, but for some reason I liked it more than I probably should have. :embarassed:

...like Jericho I think they are going to write themselves in a corner real fast.
Most likely a sound prediction imo. Shame because viewers are receptive and ready for a good 'shtf' series (walking dead, falling skies, jericho, jeremiah, etc), but like jericho & jeremiah, this one will likely have lots of unexplored potential.

Guess that's what happens when prepper-mockers write prepper fiction.

True. I'm down to probably 3 years' toothpaste & 12years' razor blades (my razor blades aren't as commonly available as toothpasts).

I better get of the sidelines & get with it... :supergrin:

Lone Kimono
09-17-2012, 22:04
Jericho would have been really good if they had a season 3. That war would have been interesting!

The show was alright, but I do think they will write themselves into a corner. It makes me want to buy a sword!

Chuck TX
09-17-2012, 22:14
It's no Jericho, that's for sure. Jericho may have had its slip ups and unrealistic faults, but at least it didn't have all the planes fall out of the sky in a flat spin.

skippz
09-17-2012, 22:36
I'm sure it wasn't the Internet for a change.

Sent an iPhone 4s sitting next to a Glock 17 loaded with 19 roun

Hahahaha.... That is some funny *****... That actually put me in a good mood after reading the post from the bill maher groupies earlier.... Haha

Allfal
09-17-2012, 22:41
It's certainly not a training manual. It may be entertaining. So....These people can distill alcohol but cannot forge metal to make revolvers? Where did all those swords come from? If fire works, then steam works. If steam works you can power machines. Soap opera stuff for entertainment in a subject that interests us. They lose even more viewers when they get even more ridiculous. Wait for them to get there and just perhaps the next series may be somewhat more realistic and just maybe keep more viewers. For now, I will watch for entertainment.

ICARRY2
09-17-2012, 22:58
So exactly how long does toothpaste last?

Warp
09-17-2012, 23:32
It's certainly not a training manual. It may be entertaining. So....These people can distill alcohol but cannot forge metal to make revolvers? Where did all those swords come from? If fire works, then steam works. If steam works you can power machines. Soap opera stuff for entertainment in a subject that interests us. They lose even more viewers when they get even more ridiculous. Wait for them to get there and just perhaps the next series may be somewhat more realistic and just maybe keep more viewers. For now, I will watch for entertainment.

In that case they have succeeded. There is no reason for them to do another series that is more realistic to keep from losing viewers when you watch this terrible crap anyway

beatcop
09-18-2012, 04:45
Too much swordplay...entertains the masses, but unrealistic. Guy does not become Zorro just because there's no power.

300 million guns in this country, but they use black powder & bows.

Localized EMP resistant necklace? ok

I'll watch because there's nothing else....it will be a one or two season wonder unless something very compelling emerges.

Bren
09-18-2012, 05:06
I'll watch because there's nothing else....it will be a one or two season wonder unless something very compelling emerges.

I'm guessing it's supposed to be the first TV rip-off of the Hunger Games. Since my wife wants to watch that, I hope it's better than the TV show.

Bilbo Bagins
09-18-2012, 06:31
It's no Jericho, that's for sure. Jericho may have had its slip ups and unrealistic faults, but at least it didn't have all the planes fall out of the sky in a flat spin.

You know what now that you mention it, that is kind of dumb. Planes would simply lose power and will be traveling at the airspeed it was flying before the incident. There would be a lot of crash landings. Revolution made it look like God or some invisible giant was picking up planes and dropping them.

Not to give too much away with Revolution for those who did not watch it yet, but the end, where the lady send the message via the computer reeks of Lost and Jericho, where there is some sort of shadowy conspiracy.

Why can't it be terrorist, or an invading country. How badass would it have been for Jericho, or for Revolution if the Chinese just showed up with tanks and started invading America.

PaulMason
09-18-2012, 08:02
Not to give too much away with Revolution for those who did not watch it yet, but the end, where the lady send the message via the computer reeks of Lost and Jericho, where there is some sort of shadowy conspiracy.

It aired so, you're ok with telling the plot. At this point we only know that the girl's father knew something was going to happen and there is some important information on the thumb drive she is carrying. Or it creates an area where electricity works again.

Some of the same people who worked on "Lost" are doing this one. So we shouldn't be looking for too much logic in the show.

quake
09-18-2012, 08:55
So exactly how long does toothpaste last?

A lot of places say two years, but what we're using now we got in 2006 iirc; maybe 2007. There's some thought that fluoride may not bond to teeth as well after a certain time. I can't speak to that with any authority, but I'm ok with it being potentially true, since I'm not a big fan of ingesting trace poisons anyway. To be fair, fluoride really shouldn't be 'ingested' via toothpaste if used properly, but it's between lead and arsenic as far as toxicity. That's not my opinion, it's measurable chemical reality.

HeliGlock
09-18-2012, 09:30
Im in to see where it goes. But I believe like jerico short lived.

Syclone538
09-18-2012, 13:18
Expectation is everything. Been hearing how bad it is, then watched it, and didn't think it was as bad as everyone is saying.

NOLA_glock
09-19-2012, 10:47
I watched it. It seems to have a high "nonsense to make me scream at the television to reasonable assumptions about what might happen if we no longer could rely on electricity" ratio.

Babynine
09-19-2012, 11:05
This was the first hour of television I watched in months, and yes it did suck.

But so many here are saying things like firearms would still be around after 15 years. It was basicly explained in one line from the light skinned black man that was the leader of the local Republic...He said "Owning a firearm is a hangin' offense"

I fear we may have a similar character here in the real world that would love to tell us the same thing someday soon...

Warp
09-19-2012, 12:52

But so many here are saying things like firearms would still be around after 15 years. It was basicly explained in one line from the light skinned black man that was the leader of the local Republic...He said "Owning a firearm is a hangin' offense"

I fear we may have a similar character here in the real world that would love to tell us the same thing someday soon...

lol

And we, of all people, are supporting them by watching this drivel.

Sad days.

wjv
09-19-2012, 17:30
IIt did explain the lack of guns a little bit, apparently the civilian ownership of a firearm is a hangable offense.

So the power goes out. . And people with 300,000,000+ guns and 20,000,000,000+ round of ammo just say "OK we surrender" to some all powerful warlord type?

dherloc
09-19-2012, 20:02
Didn't they say the electricity went out because the laws of physics had gone haywire.

Of all the plausible explanations for the power going out, that was the best they could come up with?

USMC_G19
09-20-2012, 06:05
So I watched last night and i have to say that i did not hate it. If you watch it and pretend that you dont have 450 lbs of hard red wheat in your basement its actually fairly entertaining. After all it is a TV show and not a documentary.

G29Reload
09-20-2012, 11:43
So the power goes out. . And people with 300,000,000+ guns and 20,000,000,000+ round of ammo just say "OK we surrender" to some all powerful warlord type?

yep. Not realistic in the least. Sounds like there was a liberal circlejerk in the writer's lounge. only on NBC, figgers.

Stevekozak
09-21-2012, 02:42
Watched the first episode. Will not watch further. Pure unadulterated crap! All of it. I do not think it will make it even an entire season.

Mike2
09-21-2012, 06:39
I watched the first episode and was not surprised to say the least. It sucked........bad. Will not be watching any more of this, total waste of time. The acting was not that great and the story line just falls flat, along with the fact that its sooooo full of crap, its just a total waste of good air time. I really wish Hollywood would think outside the box for once..........guess that will never happen. Can't wait to see the revised version of RED DAWN..........think Ill wait.

quake
09-21-2012, 09:08
I DVR'ed it that night & just watched it a couple days ago. Got to agree with Stevekozak & Mike2; except that I might (...might...) watch it again if it happened to come on and I had nothing else to do and I was bored and I was already on the couch and I was either too lazy or too tired to reach for the remote.

Might... :dunno:

M1A Shooter
09-22-2012, 12:05
i tried to watch it but couldnt get throught the full episode. seeme pretty rediculous.

FireForged
09-23-2012, 10:15
I watched it and will honestly say that I can find more depth and subject matter continuity from a skooby-doo cartoon.

I rate this show as : L A M E

ithaca_deerslayer
09-23-2012, 18:56

Oh, guns were banned?

We all know if you ban something that means nobody has it.

TangoFoxtrot
09-24-2012, 04:33
Watched the first episode last night. Jury is still out for me. I'll perhaps watch a few more episodes before I make a judgement.

Kieller
09-24-2012, 10:55
Wifey and I watched the first episode (she was more interested than me in watching it)

She liked it even though it is hollywood at its best (worst?)

The reason we will keep watching it? It's fun to listen to my wife on how she would handle things differently and the questions she comes up with after watching the characters do something idiotic.

mgentry
09-25-2012, 09:33
If you have cable TV, you can go to "OnDemand" and watch all of the episodes (2) at once. Does seem a little limited at this time but it is entertaining.

mikeflys1
09-26-2012, 09:56
There's plenty of cheese to it, but there definitely are some darker elements in the story that could make it interesting to keep watching:

Portrayals of non-militia gun ownership have all been very positive, in the flashback scenes it was made very clear that you were on your own when the shtf, the dynamic between the Monroe government and the "rebels" loyal to the US government.

thetoastmaster
09-26-2012, 11:22
I watched the pilot on Hulu when it was pre-released (two weeks ago?) and episode two Monday. I didn't really care for it, for all of the reasons mentioned (How is the former Google exec still fat after fourteen years without a tactical Twinkie?).

You can tell it's pure JJ Abrams. For instance, why didn't the farmer shoot the militia captain in the first episode? Why, because he's going to be a recurring character, of course. Joss Whedon would've shot him, and replaced him with another evil militia captain. ;)

It has it's little gems, though. For instance, if the evil militia is after gun owners, don't harvest deer with a shotgun.

I don't think it will last ten episodes, though. NBC is as bad as Fox when it comes to canceling dramas, even vanilla angsty ones pretending to be edgy post-apocalyptic thrillers.

quake
09-26-2012, 12:49
... For instance, why didn't the farmer shoot the militia captain in the first episode? Why, because he's going to be a recurring character, of course. Joss Whedon would've shot him, and replaced him with another evil militia captain. ;)
True. Joss Whedon is the only reason I might someday watch the avengers. I don't particularly care for all the comic-book movies they're making lately, but at the same time would love to see more of Whedon's stuff.

...I don't think it will last ten episodes, though...
Another +1, and that's unfortunate in one respect (although I'm certain the series will deserve it. I'm a bigger fan than most of Giancarlo Esposito. Most people know him from breaking bad, but he's like Don Cheadle - he's been around seemingly forever and even though he does some oddball stuff, he's always good in it. Breaking bad, sure; but also Nothing to Lose, The Usual Suspects, all kinds of things boing back even to Taps more than 30 years ago if anyone remembers that one. Nice to see him finally make the "A" list so to speak. One of those thirty-year overnight successes... :cool:

PaulMason
09-26-2012, 13:45
I think it would be fun to point out all the things wrong about the show and some have done it. Like the fat guy still fat after 15 years, shaved faces, white teeth and clean hair, small pack packs.

In the second episode, the location and trees got me. They were in Chicago in the first episode, but in second one the trees looked like those found in central/southern Georgia or Florida - a swampy area.

A lot of TV shows are now being taped in Georgia these days, so that might explain it.

The ratings are doing well.

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9374/revolution-dips-in-ratings-but-should-nbc-be-worried.html

Bilbo Bagins
09-26-2012, 14:10
I think it would be fun to point out all the things wrong about the show and some have done it. Like the fat guy still fat after 15 years, shaved faces, white teeth and clean hair, small pack packs.

In the second episode, the location and trees got me. They were in Chicago in the first episode, but in second one the trees looked like those found in central/southern Georgia or Florida - a swampy area.

A lot of TV shows are now being taped in Georgia these days, so that might explain it.

The ratings are doing well.

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9374/revolution-dips-in-ratings-but-should-nbc-be-worried.html

+1

They were going from Chicago to Indiana.

You know what's funny. There actually is a cypress Swamp in Indiana. :rofl:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/public/mayjun03/images/jpegs/bald2.jpg
http://www.in.gov/dnr/public/mayjun03/story8.html

On the flip side, I laughed at the scene in Philladelphia where ther showed Independence Hall. It look like it was 1776. The over 200 year old brick building survived but all the recently built Steel and concrete building around it are gone.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Independence_Hall.jpg

PaulMason
09-26-2012, 14:40
+1

They were going from Chicago to Indiana.

You know what's funny. There actually is a cypress Swamp in Indiana. :rofl:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/public/mayjun03/images/jpegs/bald2.jpg
http://www.in.gov/dnr/public/mayjun03/story8.html

On the flip side, I laughed at the scene in Philladelphia where ther showed Independence Hall. It look like it was 1776. The over 200 year old brick building survived but all the recently built Steel and concrete building around it are gone.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Independence_Hall.jpg

I did not know that about a Cyprus swamp in Indiana. And you're right about Phila - we were told they were empty.

FireForged
09-26-2012, 17:44
if they tie up one more bad guy that has tried to kill them 15 times... Im gonna puke.

It remides me of Star Trek morality

..."Captain! we cant take another hit. a warp core breech is imminent!" "Life support has failed on all decks below 27, shields have failed and we are on reserve power" .... Should we defend ourselves????

The Captain: Try to hail them

......."comm systems are down Captain, we cant hail them". "Shall I lock phasers???"

The Captain: Ok. but only target their engines
hhahahhahahaha!

Dirk Pitt
10-05-2012, 08:16
In the most recent episode (no spoiler here) there was one flashback scene to "6 months after lights out" they find some dead folks along the road. The comment was "I didn't think things would fall apart this fast" or something like that.

6 MONTHS :wow:

I talked to the wife about 9 meals to anarchy. That we could be in a major meltdown in a few DAYS, 6 months would be another world.

Overall show not too bad if you look at it for it's entertainment value, not for any "How To" advise. :supergrin:
The wife likes it and it does start some good conversation on the topic.

Dirk Pitt
10-05-2012, 08:19
if they tie up one more bad guy that has tried to kill them 15 times... Im gonna puke.

Funny, we had a long discussion over this on how many people have been killed / hurt in TV shows over some dummy not killing the person that desperately deserved it. Sorta like Dr. Smith in "Lost in Space" if they offed that guy early on they would have got back to earth in about 2 weeks!

pugman
10-05-2012, 09:16
I talked to the wife about 9 meals to anarchy. That we could be in a major meltdown in a few DAYS, 6 months would be another world.

Overall show not too bad if you look at it for it's entertainment value, not for any "How To"

The ratings are doing well.[/url]

Both of these are exactly what worries me.

Introduce my brother's family which in many ways mimics most of my subdivision. Upper Middle Class, new cars, 4-5 HDTVs in the house, everyone has an iphone/ipad, etc.

My brother mocks mylife style of prudence, buying cheap and stacking deep, etc.

Although my brother's family (and most of our subdivision as I gather from our conversations....and no, I don't think they are living Rule #1) has all this great stuff they also don't have a single firearm in the house, less than a week's food in the pantry, they don't garden, have any sort of water plan as it relates to storage, collection or purification. They regularly run out of things in the house like toliet paper - don't ask.

And yes, they are huge TV watchers.

They see this show and it seems to reinforce the 1) it could never happen here and 2) if it did see people can garden and live in relative peace.

In some ways, I wish the Walking Dead wasn't about zombies but a total blackout - those folks are unshaven, dirty, are shown doing laundry, etc. Granted, the characters in the show are stupid as hell.

My biggest fear since its mocked, talked about, analyzed to death etc is 12/21/12 will pass - people will say "see" and go back to living like its the 80's.

FireForged
10-05-2012, 19:19
Funny, we had a long discussion over this on how many people have been killed / hurt in TV shows over some dummy not killing the person that desperately deserved it. Sorta like Dr. Smith in "Lost in Space" if they offed that guy early on they would have got back to earth in about 2 weeks!

hahahahah! Dr Smith ruined it for them every week!

ithaca_deerslayer
10-05-2012, 20:46
hahahahah! Dr Smith ruined it for them every week!

My 7 yr old loves that show. I can't stand it. Old Star Trek is more my speed, and not on a geek level, more just a fun level (I think).

cowboy1964
09-12-2014, 11:52
I don't think it will last ten episodes, though. NBC is as bad as Fox when it comes to canceling dramas, even vanilla angsty ones pretending to be edgy post-apocalyptic thrillers.

Lasted 2 seasons, 42 episodes. Hated to see it cancelled.

JabbaNoBother
09-15-2014, 12:43
Lasted 2 seasons, 42 episodes. Hated to see it cancelled.

Wife and I were fans. Nothing great, but it was entertaining...special effects were not so special. A lot was predictable, but all in all it was enjoyable. I kind of wish another network would have picked it up.

wjv
09-15-2014, 15:22
Sorta like Dr. Smith in "Lost in Space" if they offed that guy early on they would have got back to earth in about 2 weeks!

All they would have had to do was abandon him on some planet with water and vegetables. . .