Consensus on Ruger SR22? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on Ruger SR22?

fnfalman
05-14-2012, 11:23
Yes? No? Maybe?

At first I thought that it was 3rd party pot metal junk like the SIG Mosquito/Walther P22, but it is Ruger's own product.

Can I expect MkII/MkIII reliability out of this sucker or is that too much to ask?

bac1023
05-14-2012, 12:00
I have a buddy who just bought one. I'm curious myself.

I handled one before and they do seem like a step up from the P22 and Mosquito, which are basically pot metal junk.

Bruce M
05-14-2012, 12:07
Agreed it is a step up from the Umarex (although most anything ought to be.) Seems to me a couple guys here have said the SR22 has impressed them. I have only been able to handle them so far but not shoot one yet.

ESI Agent
05-14-2012, 12:11
I have one. Its reliable and fun to shoot. Easy to brake down unlike my 22/45,life time warranty, works for me.:supergrin:

SigFTW
05-14-2012, 12:16
I handled one and really liked the feel. Gooooooo for it!!!!!!!!

M2 Carbine
05-14-2012, 13:41
Can I expect MkII/MkIII reliability out of this sucker or is that too much to ask?
Far better than my MKIII and as good as my MKI & II.

I bought the SR22 on impluse and actually didn't expect too much. My record with new untried guns hasn't been all that good lately.

The gun has turned out so well I recently bought a second one just because.

One of the primary uses is fast firing point shooting in daylight and in low light. I have a Crimson Trace laser on one gun and have ran a lot of ammo through it fast firing while moving in low light.

I bought extra magazines and seldom does a day, or night go by that I don't shoot at lease 150 rounds.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/backyardrange911.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/PX4laserberm.jpg

Once in a while I'll remove the slide and wipe out the crud. Almost never clean the barrel.

Mostly I shoot Wal Mart bulk pack, so I get a ammo caused malfunction once in a while.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerSR22.jpg

bac1023
05-14-2012, 13:50

That's says a lot, because I love the Mark series.

M2 Carbine
05-14-2012, 14:48
That's says a lot, because I love the Mark series.

Yes, me to.............

I guess I'd say the MK and SR are different enough guns that they can't be compared directly with each other. I like them both but for different type shooting.

I've had the MK Rugers since 1961 and they are great guns, except I've had too much trouble with the MKIII.

The SR looks like it will be a good gun for the type gun it is but we will see where it's at after 50 years.:supergrin:

Just shot the SR some more.
Plinking at 25 yards with iron sights.
Looks like I have to adjust the sight up and right a little.
The ammo is Wal Mart Remington bulk pack. It's interesting that there was a squib round that key-holed at the top of the target.

I haven't done enough target shooting with the SR22 to see just how well the gun and I shoot but I think the gun will shoot better than this with decent ammo.
A couple evenings ago I was sighting the laser in at 25 yards and it was shooting about 3 inches.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR22at25yards.jpg

ctfireman
05-14-2012, 15:11
Mine is a beast. No malfunctions yet & i have been through a few bulk packs. I'd buy it all over again!

itstime
05-14-2012, 15:31
I wanted me then saw all the reports of the takedown lever breaking. User error? Slides flying off the gun after it happening.

I read all that and said no. Thanks guys. I want one again. :(

carbuncle
05-14-2012, 15:49
I checked one out at my LGS last week: seems like a solid little gun. If I can sell my last bike I'm going to pick one up (and finish off my reloading setup).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

racer88
05-14-2012, 16:41
Love mine. About 750 flawless rounds through it. Mostly Federal Champion bulk (500 rd box from Wallyworld). Not a single malfunction. Outstanding pistol for the price and purpose.

Beanie-Bean
05-14-2012, 17:01
I've got one and it goes to the range with me every trip. I've put a couple of those 525 round boxes through it with No issues, and I mean none. It'll run dirty, like the Buckmark Camper URX I have, but I made sure to keep this one cleaned, adjusted, and lubed.

It's also the gun I use to setup the chronometer, in cable I have a flyer.

So far I have used the Remington big box, the Federal big box (really good for bulk,) some CCI Mini Mags, and some CCI Stingers. It eats all of them!

I would recommend getting some extra magazines, because the 10-round capacity gets old really quickly.

The larger blackstrap with the hump is the one I've got installed, and I have some jeweler's screwdrivers in my range kit in case I have to adjust the sights.

El_Ron1
05-14-2012, 17:18
How's the trigger?

Beanie-Bean
05-14-2012, 17:35
Trigger is great either SA or DA. I always try to get things going DA (has to be decocked via the safety/decocker,) and finish off the magazine SA.

It also works great for slow or rapid fire, too.

Very light pull and short travel once it's cocked.

40 0'Glock
05-14-2012, 18:55
I prefer the Mark series pistols. My Mk3 has close to 8,000 rounds of bulk through it with just a few duds.

Cole125
05-14-2012, 19:00
The SR22 is a step above the competition, no question. From all I have heard it has proved its self to be a reliable non ammo sensitive pistol.

FLIPPER 348
05-14-2012, 21:56
Yes? No? Maybe?

At first I thought that it was 3rd party pot metal junk like the SIG Mosquito/Walther P22, but it is Ruger's own product.

I'll be getting one as soon. Hopefully it will work as well as my two 'junk' P-22s!

fnfalman
05-15-2012, 07:21
Could any of the owners comment on this?

I want to use this gun as a training device for women who find the 22/45 to be a tad heavy, so I don't expect it to be some sort of range beast but at the same time I don't want a flimsy lil thang that would break either.

I wanted me then saw all the reports of the takedown lever breaking. User error? Slides flying off the gun after it happening.

I read all that and said no. Thanks guys. I want one again. :(

M2 Carbine
05-15-2012, 13:47
I want to use this gun as a training device for women who find the 22/45 to be a tad heavy, so I don't expect it to be some sort of range beast but at the same time I don't want a flimsy lil thang that would break either.
That's exactly one of the things I use it for.
The first time I shot the gun I said This would be a good first gun for teaching women and kids.

So far the women that have shot it like it.

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 16:21

The gun has turned out so well I recently bought a second one just because. ...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/backyardrange911.jpg

This right here ought to tell someone about all they need to know at least as far as reliability of the SR22. I have to figure, anyone who has his own range in his backyard probably shoots his .22s pretty regularly...:supergrin:

(Im am more than a little envious and in awe of someone who has their own range.)

Haldor
05-15-2012, 17:32
It is not a multiple lifetime gun like the Ruger Mark pistols. I had a standard that was from the mid 70's that has fired 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo and is still ticking along like clockwork. I sold it to a friend to help pay for the SR22. If the Standard wasn't a great gun I never would have sold it to a friend.

The Standard is the blued one on the bottom. The only reason I was willing to part with it is because I have the SS Mark II in the top of the picture.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/P1010092.jpg

Here is my SR22.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/P1010423.jpg

I am not as accurate with the SR22 as I am with my Mark II. To be honest I would be outraged if this wasn't true. My Mark II has a longer sight radius and a better trigger. It had better be more accurate.

The SR22 is a lot lighter than the Mark pistols and is a fun gun to shoot. Plus the trigger is more like the typical self defense gun (Glock, XD, M&P etc) so it will make a better trainer.

I am happy with my SR22. The SR22 is decent step up from the P22. It has better metallurgy than the P22 and has been 100% reliable with every kind of ammo I have tried (just like the Mark guns have been). When Ruger comes out with a threaded barrel version I will be picking up a second SR22 (my son has already claimed the first one as his). I expect my wife will claim the second SR22 when we get it.

fnfalman
05-16-2012, 22:54
I plunked down some moolah and told the dealer to get me one. Time to go to CDNN to buy up some extra mags.

racer88
05-17-2012, 04:43
I plunked down some moolah and told the dealer to get me one. Time to go to CDNN to buy up some extra mags.

They're fairly scarce and not cheap. But, I picked up four extra mags (total six now) at Midway USA. Seems like $28 is the going price everywhere I checked.

Danimal3805
05-17-2012, 13:17
I've got one, have about 1100 rounds or so through it. Winchester 555 bulk pack. One malfunction. Sweet little shooter. I'm more accurate with it than I was with my old MkIII
:dunno:

bradley.kemper507
12-02-2012, 18:37
the ruger sr22 is everything the p22 SHOULD have been. ita an amazing gun. im a beginner shooter and i get the same groups at 25 yards with the sr22 as i do with a henry lever action.

just realized this thread is way old.

cgm387
12-02-2012, 19:53
I absolutely love the SR22 - it's my favorite .22LR pistol...

BuzznRose
12-02-2012, 21:48
I really enjoy my SR22. Great gun, shoots nice. Trigger is sloppy but works for what I want it to do. I also have a MK-III 22-45 that shoots extremely well, but I enjoy shooting both a lot.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fnfalman
12-03-2012, 02:37
I just came back from the range with my SR-22 for the first time. Let's just say that I'm disappointed. The accuracy is pretty bad at only 7-yds. I'll try some different ammo, maybe even some Mini-Mags to see if it gets better. On the other hand, it worked with the two mags that came with it and five mags that I bought extra. Rapid fire, slow fire, it doesn't matter.

The sight out of the box shot low and left for me, which is not a big deal because it's "adjustable". Except that the damn screws are sized for jeweler's screwdrivers or something.

After several groups that didn't get any better, I just blasted the rest of the mags, reloaded and blasted through the mags again to test for function.

Next time I'm bringing out the Browning Buckmark as a baseline piece to make sure that it wasn't me jerking the trigger all over the joint.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Ruger%20SR22/RugerSR222.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Ruger%20SR22/RugerSR226.jpg

Shinytop
12-03-2012, 08:53
I only use 4 total mags. If you decide to get rid of the gun you may send some mags my way:)

I am not a good shot, 64, bad eyes and bad hands but shoot better groups than that. My ranges do not allow rapid fire so I am sure that helps my accuracy.

fnfalman
12-03-2012, 11:02
I am not a good shot, 64, bad eyes and bad hands but shoot better groups than that. My ranges do not allow rapid fire so I am sure that helps my accuracy.

I'd like to think that I am capable of shooting better than I can with the SR22 as well.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Browning%20Buckmark/ShootingColtRevolvers005.jpg

Shinytop
12-03-2012, 15:51
ya, I would settle for that

checkyoursix
12-03-2012, 17:04
I have owned a P22 and enjoyed it, never had any issues with it but in the end I sold it. This one intrigues me, will go check it out someday and if I like the way the build quality feel I will buy it which means I will buy it because Ruger knows.

Also, I have a MKIII 22/45 hunter with a fluted barrel which shoots everything so accurately like it doesn't care. Why the cold shoulder to MKIII's me wonders? They are a pain to clean but that has always been the case. Bloody mallet....

LeavenworthJeff
12-04-2012, 11:39
SR-22 is a great little pistol to have! Out of the box it was shooting low left for me. I asked a friend to try it out and he seemed to think it was on. I ended up adjusting the sights and now I am spot on.

My kids and I have shot after 1000 rounds through it so far with almost no trouble. It will eat any brand of ammo I give it so far.

At first I was worried about the gun because right after I got it, i started seeing reports of issues, but I think they got those ironed out before I got mine. Mine has been flawless.

Highly recommend it.

CBennett
12-04-2012, 16:56
I think its cool. Id not buy a Walther(.22lr) id buy the SR though. I had a friend...well more a acquaintance i knew from the range not anyone I normally hung out with outside of seeing him at the range and chatting now and then.. His P22 basically ate its slide and destroyed its self.

M2 Carbine
12-04-2012, 17:54
The accuracy is pretty bad at only 7-yds.
Yeah that's bad. My SR22 will easily shoot as good as your Buckmark target.

The problem may be that Winchester bulk pack. I shoot a LOT of 550 bulk pack and Winchester is by far the worst of Federal, Winchester and Remington but Remington has the most dud rounds (no primer).
I gave up on Winchester a couple years ago.

fnfalman
12-04-2012, 18:08

The problem may be that Winchester bulk pack. I shoot a LOT of 550 bulk pack and Winchester is by far the worst of Federal, Winchester and Remington but Remington has the most dud rounds (no primer).

That's why I'm going to buy a few different brands of ammo and see, and next time I'm going to bring a Ruger MkII for baseline too. If it continues like this, I'll have to contact Ruger. The gun may work but 4" group at 7-yds is ridiculous.

racer88
12-04-2012, 18:31

I found exactly the same thing. Winchester 555 bulk ammo suuuuuuuuuucks. My .22s run everything else just fine. But, with Winchester bulk, I can't get through a single magazine without failures. I'm glad I only bought a couple of boxes to try. I'll never buy it again. I'm sticking with Federal and CCI.

M2 Carbine
12-04-2012, 18:33
I just shot the gun.
I used the laser because it's dark.
Remington Wal Mart 550 bulk pack ammo.
The groups aren't very good but factor in,
my shoulders are torn and it's difficult to hold the gun, much less keep the gun steady,
and it's dark so the bullseye is hard to see, especially at 10 yards.
I'd say I spread the groups out at least 300 percent.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR22laserdark7yards.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR22laserdark10yards.jpg

T-Rod45
12-04-2012, 18:52
Great gun!!!

I did a 1,000 round torture test when I bought mine the week they came out. No cleaning, 4 different kinds of ammo from junk to CCI mini-mags... Only 2 duds out of 1000 and both ammo-related. Cleaned the gun after that (it really wasn't that dirty) and put another 600 rounds thru it since. The guns slide is aluminum (not pot metal junk), which is one of the reasons I bought it. The gun is a sweet shooter and my girlfriend loves it too. If I had the ability to shoot outdoors on my own property I'd probably be past the 10,000 round count by now. Shooting here in CT isn't easy that's for sure... :upeyes:

10 rounds at 10 yards (my first time out with it & my first .22)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/0fb58dcf.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/85ac4d10.jpg

Haldor
12-04-2012, 20:28
I am very happy with mine. Only problem I have heard of is the barrel mounting screw getting loose.

T-Rod45
12-04-2012, 20:40
That's why I'm going to buy a few different brands of ammo and see, and next time I'm going to bring a Ruger MkII for baseline too. If it continues like this, I'll have to contact Ruger. The gun may work but 4" group at 7-yds is ridiculous.

The only way you're gonna be able to tell if there is something wrong with the guns accuracy is to bench fire it... Preferably from a vice. Then if all the bullets go where they're supposed ta, sight it in from there.

Cole125
12-04-2012, 20:40
I have been happy with my SR22 pistol, zero issues with over 4 bulk packs through it.

As far as accuracy, its not a target pistol and don't expect it to be. Its more than accurate enough to be a minute of beer can plinker and thats all I need it to be. If I want to shoot tiny groups on paper I'll use my MKIII Target.

Cole125
12-04-2012, 20:43
I found exactly the same thing. Winchester 555 bulk ammo suuuuuuuuuucks. My .22s run everything else just fine. But, with Winchester bulk, I can't get through a single magazine without failures. I'm glad I only bought a couple of boxes to try. I'll never buy it again. I'm sticking with Federal and CCI.

I've found the best bulk pack ammo is Remington Golden Bullet. I've shot a case(12 packs) of it between my 10/22, MKIII and SR22 with zero failure to fire issues and I mean not one. Accurate, too.

fnfalman
12-04-2012, 20:52
I have been happy with my SR22 pistol, zero issues with over 4 bulk packs through it.

As far as accuracy, its not a target pistol and don't expect it to be. Its more than accurate enough to be a minute of beer can plinker and thats all I need it to be. If I want to shoot tiny groups on paper I'll use my MKIII Target.

I don't expect it to be a target pistol either, but 4"-5" at 7-yds is ridiculous.

I'll shoot some different loads through it and see how it turns out, and I'll bring a set of jewelery's screwdrivers too.

M2 Carbine
12-04-2012, 21:33
I'll shoot some different loads through it and see how it turns out, and I'll bring a set of jewelery's screwdrivers too.
Of the 4-5 SR22 I've shot all needed the sights adjusted.

Come to think of it, the same with the number of Ruger LC9 and SR9/40 I've shot.

racer88
12-04-2012, 21:35
Of the 4-5 SR22 I've shot all needed the sights adjusted.

Come to think of it, the same with the number of Ruger LC9 and SR9/40 I've shot.

Yep... I had to adjust the sights on my SR22 a bit.

fnfalman
12-04-2012, 21:46
Adjusting the sight isn't a big deal, that's why I'm sure that Ruger put adjustable rear sight on. I'm concerned with the lack of decent groupings.

Cole125
12-04-2012, 21:57
Adjusting the sight isn't a big deal, that's why I'm sure that Ruger put adjustable rear sight on. I'm concerned with the lack of decent groupings.

Like said above, try different ammo. Winchester bulk is some of the worst .22 ammo I have shot, both in accuracy and reliability.

Give Remington Golden Bullets a try. My SR22 likes them, when I shoot paper I can get 3 inch or smaller groups at 10 yards.

Also, check and make sure the barrel is on tight. I have heard of the barrel coming loose being a issue.

billn
12-04-2012, 21:58
I got one for my wife in the nightstand. It is easy for her to shoot.

USMCsilver
12-04-2012, 21:58
I've said it before: when it is factory threaded, I will buy one. Not a chance beforehand.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Sikiguya
12-04-2012, 22:25
I just came back from the range with my SR-22 for the first time. Let's just say that I'm disappointed. The accuracy is pretty bad at only 7-yds. I'll try some different ammo, maybe even some Mini-Mags to see if it gets better. On the other hand, it worked with the two mags that came with it and five mags that I bought extra. Rapid fire, slow fire, it doesn't matter.

The sight out of the box shot low and left for me, which is not a big deal because it's "adjustable". Except that the damn screws are sized for jeweler's screwdrivers or something.

After several groups that didn't get any better, I just blasted the rest of the mags, reloaded and blasted through the mags again to test for function.

Next time I'm bringing out the Browning Buckmark as a baseline piece to make sure that it wasn't me jerking the trigger all over the joint.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Ruger%20SR22/RugerSR222.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Ruger%20SR22/RugerSR226.jpg

If it is that bad,I'd be willing to take it off your hand for cheap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amd65
12-05-2012, 04:41
I do much better than that with my SR22. I have no problem hitting the 10" steel plates my club has at 40yds.
We also have metal bowling pin silhouettes at 10yds...I routinely knock them over shooting at the small head of the bowling pin.
Make certain your barrel screw is tight. A loose barrel is all I can think of that would make this pistol inaccurate, other than poor shooting ability.

eracer
12-05-2012, 05:39
Trigger is great either SA or DA. I always try to get things going DA (has to be decocked via the safety/decocker,) and finish off the magazine SA.

It also works great for slow or rapid fire, too.

Very light pull and short travel once it's cocked.Wow, I must have a bad example, because the DA pull feels like it's about 25 lbs. The SA trigger is good, but not great.

Other than that it's a great little gun. Accurate, and it eats anything I feed it. The 'upside-down' manual safety is a little weird.

racer88
12-05-2012, 05:52
Wow, I must have a bad example, because the DA pull feels like it's about 25 lbs. The SA trigger is good, but not great.

Other than that it's a great little gun. Accurate, and it eats anything I feed it. The 'upside-down' manual safety is a little weird.

Yeah... if I had one complaint it's the backwards safety.

M2 Carbine
12-05-2012, 08:01
Yeah... if I had one complaint it's the backwards safety. I'm not crazy about the backwards safety either.
The magazine disconnector is my only real complaint. I hate those things amd Ruger designed this one to be hard to remove.

I have no problem hitting the 10" steel plates my club has at 40yds.
I shoot mine at 52 yards (offhand). It stays on the steel surprisingly well.

racer88
12-05-2012, 08:08
The magazine disconnector is my only real complaint. I hate those things amd Ruger designed this one to be hard to remove.

Oh yeah... I don't like that, either! :crying: But, other than those 2 things... the pistol is fantastic. It just shoots and shoots and shoots. Goes well with my M&P 15-22! Everyone should have at least one .22LR pistol and one .22LR rifle.

SigFTW
12-05-2012, 08:39
Hit the rang with my daughter Saturday and let her shoot the SR22, she liked it better than the Mosquito. It's a good little 22!

I wish the sight spring was stiffer and as other said, I'm not crazy about the backwards safety also.

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 09:39
If it is that bad,I'd be willing to take it off your hand for cheap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF it's that bad, it's going back to the factory.

T-Rod45
12-05-2012, 09:42
Definitely check that barrel screw!

rvanpelt
12-05-2012, 14:10
I had bought my wife a CW9mm Kahr which she decided was a little too big of a shell for her and was flinching. I then bought the Ruger SR22, which both of us love for its accuracy (My wife can hit a baseball at 20 yds.), dependability (not picky on ammo), feel in the hand, trigger pull, workmanship, ease of cleaning (not so with other semis) and price. Like someone said everyone should have a .22 rifle and a pistol. :cool:
My grandson has a Sig Sauer Mosquito, which is more picky on the ammo but does shoot the Rem. golden bulks. He likes the Ruger better. I feel the Ruger is more accurate.
This is a great trainer for newbes, women and younger shooters. My wife is shooting the 9mm much better now.
I wish I had one for ME.
We put around 1000 rounds (right out of the box) through it before cleaning.
Great gun! You won't be disappointed.
Rod:wavey: