why no five seven competitors? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : why no five seven competitors?

rainman33
05-14-2012, 11:45
Even if you don't like the caliber I think most would admit a reasonably priced competitor would be a big seller. So, why hasn't anyone come up with another offering? There's also room for some improvements, more conventional safety, better ergos, etc.

glock2740
05-14-2012, 11:51
I agree. If you could get a Glock, XD or M&P in 5.7 and they would make it for around $500, I'd buy one. Or an 8 shot Ruger revolver in 5.7 would be cool too.

SunsetMan
05-14-2012, 11:58
My first guess is fear of bannage. The 5.7x28 cartridge is just too controversial to invest the money on.

After that I'd have to say lack of demand. If the demand were there I'm sure there would be some competitors being made.

In my opinion the cartridge should have been made with more power to improve effectiveness. It would also be nice if the cartridge would cycle a locked breach action. As it is the cartridge just isn't powerful enough to gain the acceptance by the police and military it needs to be truly successful.

That said, I like the cartridge and love my Five-seveN.

ronin.45
05-14-2012, 11:59
The 5.7 is too long to fit in most Handguns. No major manufacturer is going to spend the money to make a whole new frame size just for that cartridge.

Foxtrotx1
05-14-2012, 12:02
Bottleneck rounds in a revolver = que triste, no bueno senior.

Sadly the 5.7 doesn't even fit into a 1911 grip. You would need something longer like a Coonan size frame.

An alloy framed pistol with a steel slide would be a sweeeeet shooter in 5.7

bac1023
05-14-2012, 12:03
The 5.7 is too long to fit in most Handguns. No major manufacturer is going to spend the money to make a whole new frame size just for that cartridge.

I think that's exactly what the issue is.

Its OAL is considerbaly longer than even 10mm is and would mandate a different frame.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 12:04
I agree. If you could get a Glock, XD or M&P in 5.7 and they would make it for around $500, I'd buy one. Or an 8 shot Ruger revolver in 5.7 would be cool too.

Joe, the revovler I could see, but I can't see the others you mentioned designing a new frame just for the 5.7.

Hopefully, I'm wrong though. I'd like to see it too. :dunno:

SunsetMan
05-14-2012, 12:05

This too. The cartridge is really too long. FN did a fantastic job of designing the Five-seveN. I have medium hands and the gun fits me fine, but may be a stretch for some.

WoodenPlank
05-14-2012, 12:07

Yep. Not worth it to redesign a frame for it, and 5.7 hasn't seen widespread use to justify it, I'd bet.

This too. The cartridge is really too long. FN did a fantastic job of designing the Five-seveN. I have medium hands and the gun fits me fine, but may be a stretch for some.

I have somewhat large hands, and it feels like I'm holding a 2x4. To each their own, I suppose.

MrMurphy
05-14-2012, 12:34
They'd be wiser to come up with a .22 Magnum auto, it'd do about the same.

The 5.7 pistol was only ever invented because of the P90, which by itself has serious issues (ballistically, not the gun itself, which runs well).

There's nothing a 5.7 does that another more common caliber doesn't do better in the civilian role.

Boats
05-14-2012, 12:51
No demand equals no supply. It's amazing how many people don't get the fundamentals of capitalism.

WoodenPlank
05-14-2012, 12:51
They'd be wiser to come up with a .22 Magnum auto, it'd do about the same.

The 5.7 pistol was only ever invented because of the P90, which by itself has serious issues (ballistically, not the gun itself, which runs well).

There's nothing a 5.7 does that another more common caliber doesn't do better in the civilian role.

I'd have to agree. To me, 5.7 only shines as an anti-personnel caliber when it's backed up by a group therapy option. I feel the same way about 4.6mm in the MP-7 - both calibers shine when a single, short trigger squeeze can put 2-5 projectiles into a very small area very quickly at close range. Both platforms are excellent in this role, but seem quite lackluster to me without full auto.

ParisArms
05-14-2012, 12:52
Kel tech PMR 30 is kinda competition. One of the main reasons is the same as to why there is no competition to the the 45 GAP. It's one company's answer to a question that was never really asked.
FN made the caliber and gun for the military request for a replacement caliber that could be used in both a hand gun and rifle to replace the 9mm. But the military ended the testing (after FN won but H&K complained)

Sent an iPhone 4s sitting next to a Glock 17 loaded with 19 round of +P+ ammo.

Glockdude1
05-14-2012, 13:15
I would like to see a bull barrel 10/22 in 5.7.

:cool:

bac1023
05-14-2012, 13:20
I would like to see a bull barrel 10/22 in 5.7.

:cool:

That would be interesting.

collim1
05-14-2012, 13:32

Very cool idea on the 5.7 revolver. Sounds like fun.

rainman33
05-14-2012, 14:03
No demand equals no supply. It's amazing how many people don't get the fundamentals of capitalism.

The whole point of this thread was to say; in my opinion, and at the right price point, there appears to be demand. So, why hasn't anyone come to market with a product. Now, I may be wrong, but that's why I opened a thread, for discussion. Everyone else grasped the concept and is making relevant points. It's amazing to me how many people lack basic reading comprehension skills.

To keep things on track lets start a poll. With every future post state whether you would buy a 5.7 caliber pistol if it was priced like a glock. I'd take one.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 14:08
I think there would defintely be some demand for a reasonably priced 5.7 pistol. However, I just don't think anyone is going to design a new frame to find out.

arclight610
05-14-2012, 14:39
Armscor's .22 TCM is about the closest to "competition" right now. Different cartridge, but same concept. Plus, you can use the plentiful .223 brass to make TCM brass.

Noots
05-14-2012, 15:56
I'm pretty sure the whole controversy around the cartridge is dead, hell most people who look at one in Gander Mountain have no idea what the round even is these days.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 16:36
I'm pretty sure the whole controversy around the cartridge is dead, hell most people who look at one in Gander Mountain have no idea what the round even is these days.

Yeah, well many people who look at guns don't know the first thing about them anyway.

WoodenPlank
05-14-2012, 16:50
Yeah, well many people who look at guns don't know the first thing about them anyway.

Same goes for people that sell them.

Sent from the USS Sulaco, while nuking the site from orbit.

Metal Angel
05-14-2012, 17:25
I would buy one if they made it in a compact package. The FiveseveN is so big it's almost funny. If they made one for CC with a pinky dangler grip, it could still have 7-10 rounds capacity and should be pretty easy to shoot accurately. If they did a single stack, or 1 1/2 stack, maybe it would solve the massive grip problem. I know it would still be a long reach, but with less thickness it should be better. Imagine how thin they could make a single stack! It would look like a cardboard cutout. That would be a dream to carry, and even if the ballistics were lacking in a short barrel, I think I would still trust it better than a 32acp.

Now I want one.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 17:38
Same goes for people that sell them.

I certainly agree.

Its like the blind leading the blind many times. I just listen and laugh to myself.