Am I the only one that doesn't want a Shield? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that doesn't want a Shield?

J.Kill
05-14-2012, 17:13
I checked one out at my local shop... I didn't like the way it felt...at all.

Am I the only one?:whistling:

travis34769
05-14-2012, 17:13
Yes you are.

cowboy1964
05-14-2012, 17:14
It's ok. No one likes every gun. But in this case you're just a weirdo :tongueout:

FL Airedale
05-14-2012, 17:27
I'm a weirdo too. I have nothing against the shield. I just don't want one bad enough to actually pay for it.

My G26 is compact enough.

If someone decides to give me a shield, I won't turn it down. :winkie:

rilkil23
05-14-2012, 17:30
I saw one and the buyer let me hold it. I was impressed though I didn't pull the trigger since it didn't belong to me. I am content with my LC9 and it has served me well, that is what I keep telling myself anyways................ The Shield seems like a really nice gun but I don't want to keep chasing the latest and greatest in the world of single stack guns. I have told myself I don't like it so that is my story.

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 17:32
No interest.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 17:34
I never handled one, but I have no desire to pick one up. Its just not my thing.

I do like the standard M&P line.

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 17:39
I was impressed though I didn't pull the trigger since it didn't belong to me.

I ask before dry firing a weapon I'm interested in. But most modern firearms can safely be dry fired.

I try not to dry fire .22s. I was taught: "The reason is due to the design of rimfire chamber. When a rimfire firearm is dry fired, the striker hits the outside mouth of the chamber instead of the soft brass rim of the cartridge. This can not only damage or destroy your firing pin, but over time will peen the barrel face."

rilkil23
05-14-2012, 17:46
I ask before dry firing a weapon I'm interested in. But most modern firearms can safely be dry fired.

I try not to dry fire .22s. I was taught: "The reason is due to the design of rimfire chamber. When a rimfire firearm is dry fired, the striker hits the outside mouth of the chamber instead of the soft brass rim of the cartridge. This can not only damage or destroy your firing pin, but over time will peen the barrel face."

Thank you for your kind words. I grew up with two fantastic fathers and a wonderful mother. My stepdad was my source of knowledge when it came to social grace and my biological father taught me not to mess with another mans belongings. We had a 1967 Corvette in the garage and it was understood that no one will enter the garage without asking permission. My mom would help me and my brother get our bikes out in the morning to avoid scratching the "Red Beast". I took typing on an old school typerwriter and it was mandatory to pass the class to be allowed to move on to high school. I guess the proper way to space when typing stuck with me. Good times.

oldman11
05-14-2012, 17:52
Each gun has advantages and disadvantages. Glock 26 has 10 round mag (advantage), it is however 1.13 inches wide, same as a G33. S&W Shield has a 6 round mag (disadvantage) it is .95 inches wide (a little easier to hide). Ruger LC9 has a 6 round mag (disadvantage) it is .90 inches wide ( a little better advantage). All three are good choices; it really depends on which is easy carry and which one you shoot the best. There is no good or bad; right or wrong.

JK-linux
05-14-2012, 17:56

jb1911
05-14-2012, 17:58
I have a G26 and a Nano. I don't need or want a Shield.

Nakanokalronin
05-14-2012, 18:07
When I first handled one, it felt good and seemed solid. It wasn't until I rented and shot it did I want one. I went from the range to the counter to have my name added on the waiting list. Much better ergos and shootability over the G26, XDsc, PF9 and PX4sc I've owned.

GlockPride
05-14-2012, 18:10
I'm not interested. I have two 9c and a 9L. So, of course, I had to check it out. Went down to a smal local gun shop and fondled. It just didn't work for me. So, I left it there for the next man with money.

agrech
05-14-2012, 18:11
I'd like a shield, but won't get one. My reason? The trigger, it's horrible. I like how the gun feels and even like how it looks (I'm one THOSE guys). But that trigger is awful. Seems to be a trend in every S&W I've tried

concretefuzzynuts
05-14-2012, 18:19
Thank you for your kind words. I grew up with two fantastic fathers and a wonderful mother. My stepdad was my source of knowledge when it came to social grace and my biological father taught me not to mess with another mans belongings. We had a 1967 Corvette in the garage and it was understood that no one will enter the garage without asking permission. My mom would help me and my brother get our bikes out in the morning to avoid scratching the "Red Beast". I took typing on an old school typerwriter and it was mandatory to pass the class to be allowed to move on to high school. I guess the proper way to space when typing stuck with me. Good times.

Yeah... I deleted the part about double spacing after a period. I realized that if a person sees your post they wouldn't know you did this correct typing practice because the computer automatically spaces all "spaces" after periods. Only if you "quote" from somebody's post does it show up. But the complement still stands. Old school typing techniques are: double space behind a period. You rock!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-14-2012, 18:36

Yes, afraid so. You are a freak :rofl:

Roger G23
05-14-2012, 18:40
I figure if I dig my PPS...the Shield's gonna be even better ergoes for a slim single stacker.

fowler
05-14-2012, 18:48
I like there wheelguns without the lock, but there autos I would not own one. I like the Glock not the SW crap.

Veedubklown
05-14-2012, 18:50
Honestly, I still really like the diamondback DB9, and I don't care if people say they get bad reviews, I'm convinced I could make one run if the price was cheap enough.

Cole125
05-14-2012, 18:55
I like the standard M&P line but the Shield does not do much for me.

If I want a pocket carry 9mm , Kahr PM9, if I am going to IWB carry its going to be my G19. Not that much bigger, and it goes bang 16 times.

dnuggett
05-14-2012, 19:11
I'd like a shield, but won't get one. My reason? The trigger, it's horrible. I like how the gun feels and even like how it looks (I'm one THOSE guys). But that trigger is awful. Seems to be a trend in every S&W I've tried

You are the first that I have heard say that. Of the polymer micros I have tried, this is one of the best.

carbuncle
05-14-2012, 19:28

Nope, I don't want one. But if my PPS ever craps out I'll take a look at them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

glock2740
05-14-2012, 19:31
I'm a weirdo too. I have nothing against the shield. I just don't want one bad enough to actually pay for it.

I haven't felt a "real" one in person yet. The LGS had a blue plastic version, which felt pretty good, but it isn't the reald deal. I kinda feel that I'll stick with my G26 for a sub-compact 9mm, but I still want to put my hands on a Shield.

Gregg702
05-14-2012, 19:35
I haven't felt one yet, but I imagine I would still prefer my P239 over a Shield. That said, at $399-$450, they are a good deal for a compact, single stack 9mm.

mingaa
05-14-2012, 19:35
I'm not looking at pocket pistols at the mo. I bought a Taurus 709 just b4 the shield was released. It is basic blue ( I like black guns) with adjustable sights and Palmetto had it at a great price. It has a lot of Glock- like features and shoots great for a small 7 round 9. Just took del of a nib G34 3G today. I'm busy.

2740dmx
05-14-2012, 19:36
G26 Gen4....FTW!
S&W 340 M&P revolver...FTW!

I like my subcompacts chunky...so I can actually pull it from my holster under pressure, and actually hit something with it under pressure.....

Thin might be "in"...but I like my chunky Glock! :cool:

agrech
05-14-2012, 19:42
You are the first that I have heard say that. Of the polymer micros I have tried, this is one of the best.

Keep in mind that every weapon I try is a rental. It's VERY possible that the triggers in my experience are just bad because they are rentals. But yeah, I'm not sure what it is about it, but I don't like it.

mrsurfboard
05-14-2012, 19:47
Each gun has advantages and disadvantages. Glock 26 has 10 round mag (advantage), it is however 1.13 inches wide, same as a G33. S&W Shield has a 6 round mag (disadvantage) it is .95 inches wide (a little easier to hide). Ruger LC9 has a 6 round mag (disadvantage) it is .90 inches wide ( a little better advantage). All three are good choices; it really depends on which is easy carry and which one you shoot the best. There is no good or bad; right or wrong.

The shield in 9mm has a 7 round flush mag and 8 round extended mag.

michael e
05-14-2012, 19:52
Haven't held one yet. But already have a LCP and 642 as BUGs cant really see needing a 3rd BUG when I have several other guns I want more.

Restless28
05-14-2012, 20:09
I don't want one. The J-Frame is good enough for me.

Soonerbldr
05-14-2012, 20:13
I bought an M&P 40c right before the shield came out. If I hadn't bought that then maybe I would have. But they are about the same size and if I get another compact I want a smaller gun to carry in my pocket. So I will likely forgo the shield and get the Glock 30 SF instead....

Nakanokalronin
05-14-2012, 20:14
Many people seem to think this is a BUG or pocket pistol and it may be for those with big pockets (Shipwreck:whistling:) but it's in the same category as the LC9, PF9, Kahr PM9, etc. It's more of a slim IWB gun more than anything else. If you don't have one to rent, at least try and handle one for those who haven't yet.

I look at a single stack gun as something that dosn't require a single shred of wardrobe change. My UCII does this pretty well, but does print from time to time. Since the Shield is a tad bigger than a 2 finger gun with pinky curled underneath unlike my 3 finger UCII, it may be the perfect year round carry piece.

You guys that pocket carry these subcompact guns must have some pretty big pockets. I can barely pocket carry my P238 without the right pocket looking like I have a tumor or show a perfect outline of a gun when I sit down.....and no, my pants aren't tight but they're not BDUs, a size or two bigger or M.C. Hammer pants either.

JordanK
05-14-2012, 20:16
I'm with ya buddy... not my cup o' tea. I, on the other hand, may be the only pair of hands in the world that don't quite work with the M&P ergos...

South Fla
05-14-2012, 20:29
No thanks.

I don't have to have the smallest gun I can find.

I like my HK USP.40C.

Folsom_Prison
05-14-2012, 21:02
I don't have a desire for one myself.

Rally Vincent
05-14-2012, 21:11
Nah. S&W autos = fail for me. Seen too many problems strewn across multiple models. Quality and what not. They should stick to making wheel guns.

ctfireman
05-14-2012, 21:14
I have no desire to buy one. I own a nano & that fills the need quite well.

Magus
05-14-2012, 21:17
Gun itself seems okay, but I have no real interest in 9mm or .40, so probably not for me in the end.

Think it's a great concept though in terms of a carry gun.

ScottieG59
05-14-2012, 21:20
Maybe the Shield would be okay if I were not already equipped. I almost never pocket carry and my Glock 27 does very well as IWB carry gun. If i want smaller and lighter, I carry my Ruger LCR.

For the little 9mm pistols I would get a Kahr PM9 or PM40.

I am just not ready to consider a personal defense gun with manual safeties, whether it is engaged or not. It is enough to draw from the holster and employ. I cut my teeth on the 1911, but I want simple in my old age.

ronin.45
05-14-2012, 21:24
I'm with you. No interest whatsoever.

Nakanokalronin
05-14-2012, 21:35
Good to see little interest in the Shield. It means I won't have to wait so long for my LGS to get some more in. According to the S&W tech I talked to, they had 25,000 Shields ready to go when they introduced it and they sold them all in the first 2 weeks. :supergrin:

One big thing the Shield has going for it is the lack of first run issues like many of the other small 9mm and .380 offerings.

Berto
05-14-2012, 21:41
It sounds like a nice pistol from everything I've heard, but I prefer revolvers for pocket carry.

rvrctyrngr
05-14-2012, 22:00
I have no need or desire for one. A single-stack 9mm belt gun serves no niche for me, and it's too big for pocket carry.

Metal Angel
05-14-2012, 23:36
I have no need or desire for one. A single-stack 9mm belt gun serves no niche for me, and it's too big for pocket carry.

That's sort of how I'm feeling. I Think if I can wear a gun on my belt, it can be my G19. I really want a single stack for pocket carry, and I don't think the shield is that gun. Also, I don't like the thumb safety, and really, I would be embarrassed telling people I owned a gun called a shield.

cowboy1964
05-15-2012, 00:12

The older M&Ps have even worse triggers and I live with them.

TxGlock9
05-15-2012, 02:10
As much as I love M&P's I have no care for the shield. M&P9 compact is what I carry.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 02:33
I haven't felt a "real" one in person yet. The LGS had a blue plastic version, which felt pretty good, but it isn't the reald deal. I kinda feel that I'll stick with my G26 for a sub-compact 9mm, but I still want to put my hands on a Shield.

Im in this boat as well, sticking with the G26 but really want to try the Shield out.

:50cal:

onalandline
05-15-2012, 02:52
I'm kinda intrigued by the Shield. I already have a G27 and LCP, but may consider this. I would have to see it in person first. Also looking at an LCR in .357.

fowler
05-15-2012, 04:25
My wife carrys a G26 everyday IWB Kydex no problem and she likes the way it shoots and mild recoil. She used to carry a 380 Little crappy pistol ruger that kicked more and was not accurate or reliable. Anybody that can't carry the g26 everyday can,t carry anything.

CajunBass
05-15-2012, 05:10
Funny thing is, I've got one, didn't want it, and still can't say I do. It's a really nice gun (for a plastic semi), shoots great and all that, but I just don't care for plastic semi's. They're just tools.

I got it after I sold my old Charter Arms 38 snubbie; someone wanted it a lot more than I did. Walked into the LGS looking for a carry gun. I'd heard the name "Shield" but didn't know what it was. I was actually looking at a LC-9 I guess it was. Some boring little Ruger 9mm. Then the clerk showed me the Shield. I said "This'll do." and bought it. The Shield won out because it's a S&W. The Ruger, a Glock, or and XD, or a dozen other guns would have probably done just as well.

Now I just bought a Model 12-2, airweight 38. The Shield might be expendable. On the other hand, it doesn't eat anything, and takes up little room.

svtpwnz
05-15-2012, 07:56
I have no desire to buy one at all. It looks like a nice CCW pistol and I haven't heard any negative feedback on it. I am covered in the CCW area with a PM9, G29sf, G26, SA EMP 9mm and a few others.

Bilbo Bagins
05-15-2012, 08:51
I really didn't understand the excitement of the Shield when it first came out.

Its basically the same size as a Walther PPS, its just looks like a M&P and it has a safety :dunno:

I really don't understand why those dimensions are soo appealing. Its too long to be a great pocket gun, and if your are carrying OWB you might as well carry something like a Glock, XDm or regular M&P.

The Shield is a dedicated IWB gun, that is a 0.2" thinner and 2oz lighter then a double stack M&P compact even with its longer barrel, and I lose 5 rounds in capacity. Wow I'm excited...I guess.

If they made the Shield smaller and a little lighter like the Beretta Nano or the Kahr PM9/CM9 I would have been wicked excited and I would probably own one right now. That would have been a simple 1/2 chop of the length and a drop from 7 and 8 round mags to a 6 or 7. The weight would be down to Kahr levels making the Nano seem hefty. With those changes the Shield could have been a great pocket carry and IWB gun. With so many civilians getting permits they would have sold them like wildfire.

They way it is now, all I have to say about the Shield is ....feehhhhh. Sorry fanboys.

truetopath
05-15-2012, 09:12
I like my 27 just fine, why would I go with the shield...I'd rather get a SW 642 or something of the sort.

Eric2340
05-15-2012, 09:15
Limited capicity 9mm?

No thanks, I like knowing I can stick a 17 round mag in my carry G26 if I need to. :)

Plus I KNOW it's no where near as tough either (as the G26).

Boost_Junkie
05-15-2012, 09:17

What he said.

unit1069
05-15-2012, 09:21
I like the Shield and am leaning towards buying one because it looks and (from testimonials) appears to be a light, concealable and reliable CCW pistol.

I still haven't heard if the Shield is rated for +P ammo, although I suspect it will shoot any pressure ammo without undue wear and tear.

took
05-15-2012, 09:28
I am not a fan of them, don't really like the feel or even the looks. I have plenty single stack compact and subcompacts to fit my needs.:D

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Wash-ar15
05-15-2012, 09:31
I have shot one and like it a lot, but not enough to go to the trouble of selling my CW9, which basicly fits the same niche

TN.Frank
05-15-2012, 09:43
Nope, you're not the only one, I'm not interested in the least. I already have IMHO the perfect EDC/CCW gun, my S&W 642. It's 5 for sure of +P 38spl and is light and compact enough to go everywhere that I care to carry.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 09:54
The Shield is a dedicated IWB gun, that is a 0.2" thinner and 2oz lighter then a double stack M&P compact even with its longer barrel, and I lose 5 rounds in capacity. Wow I'm excited...I guess.Looks to be a little more than .20 thinner: http://thrumylens.org/featured/review-of-the-smith-wesson-mp-shield-9mm/

I'll measure it up to my FS M&P 9mm when I get the Shield in hand since some are claiming it's barely smaller than a FS M&P which goes to tell me they haven't even seen one in person yet. I guess haters gonna hate. :rofl:

With those changes the Shield could have been a great pocket carry and IWB gun. With so many civilians getting permits they would have sold them like wildfire. They sold all 25,000 in the first 2 weeks of introduction. I'd say that's selling them like wildfire.

I still haven't heard if the Shield is rated for +P ammo, although I suspect it will shoot any pressure ammo without undue wear and tear. It's +P rated but will accelerate wear like any gun. I plan on testing my Shield with +P ammo exclusively for SD (after standard range ammo of course). If it absorbs recoil like it's bigger brother, that alone would put it above the other small poly 9mm offerings I've owned and shot.

fastbolt
05-15-2012, 12:01

Depends on the reasons that are important to you when it comes to deciding whether or not you wish to own a particular firearm for use. Your call.

Me? I happen to find the smallish 9's a handy thing. Similarly to how I find my several J-frames to be handy for my preferences and perceived needs when it comes to retirement CCW.

I could "make do" with just one J-frame, or just one smallish 9 or .40 for my needs ... but I like having a selection which to choose and use.

That partly comes from being a firearms instructor & armorer and continuing to have access to a private LE range where I can frequently run all of my guns and keep an interest in using all of them. Once that changes someday, I may well decide I don't have as much "need" (desire) for as many and start to thin the herd. ;)

Back on topic, though ...

I'd like to find another smallish 9 that would be slimmer than my G26's and CS9, but as ergonomically suited to my hands as my SW999c, while being lighter than my 3913.

I've tried other smallish 9's but not yet found one that made me feel it like it offered anything that I didn't already have with my existing 9's.

The Shield 9 interests me. I like the M&P platform (as an owner and an armorer), and feel it's worth a try to see if it'll find a place in my normal range-use & carry rotation.

I expect to be seeing a lot of them as other cops are buying them, too. Just as the baby Glocks became pretty common among folks with whom I've worked, I've been seeing a noticeable increase in the compact M&P's among active and retired cops at the range, and I expect the even smaller & thinner Shield 9/.40's to start appearing in those roles.

Lots of other choices in the market, though. Someone looking to own a diminutive 9/.40 ought to be able to find something that suits whatever desires, preferences or "needs" someone might have for themselves.

FWIW, if S&W hadn't decided to shrink the M&P platform and produce the Shiled line, I'd been giving some serious thought to the Walther PPS. It's a bit more complicated (from an armorer perspective), but I tend to like the more modern Walther police pistols.

I'm not getting rid of my J's, though. ;)

Rally Vincent
05-15-2012, 12:47
Got to fondle one today at the local pawn shop.
I'll stick to full size handguns for CCW. It's not terribly hard putting in a little extra work to carry a pistol thats going to inspire confidence when you need it most. Now I can see this being a great little backup pistol. But primary CCW? Unthinkable.

faawrenchbndr
05-15-2012, 12:57

I have no use for one.

South Fla
05-15-2012, 14:08
As stated before, I have no desire for one.

With absolute sheer number of posts here on GT clamoring for a "single-stack, compact 9mm...", I am surprised at the number of people stating that they have no interest in them.

I expected people to be salivating, trembling uncontrollably and willing to disfigure themselves just for the notion that one of these "wonderguns" was going to actually come into existence.

But, I see that I am not the only that says.....meh, to the whole thing....

Clusterfrack
05-15-2012, 14:10
I don't want one either, but two of my friends ordered them. S&W's going to make a lot of cash on this one.

v188
05-15-2012, 16:15
For a Smith it's an improvement. I however have no interest in purchasing one.

Southswede
05-15-2012, 16:51
G26 Gen4....FTW!
S&W 340 M&P revolver...FTW!

I like my subcompacts chunky...so I can actually pull it from my holster under pressure, and actually hit something with it under pressure.....

Thin might be "in"...but I like my chunky Glock! :cool:

You would not have said this, if you had fired the Shield......

Clay1
05-15-2012, 16:51
With everyone giving Glock grief for not introducing a single stack gun, you would think that more would be in favor of the S&W release of the shield.

If it didn't have the manual safety I would find it interesting. Jeff Cooper said: "safety is something that happens between your ears and not something that you hold in your hands." I remember why most loose Force on Force battles and that is not clearing the holster properly or not manipulating the safety. When the SHTF, I want to grip and rip and not worry about manipulating another button before I can engage an adversary.

Because of the above stated reason I will stay with Glocks and for single stack 9's I like the Kahr until Glock introduces a single stack 9.

I still applaude S&W for the release.

ZekerMan
05-15-2012, 17:04
I have no desire for one now or ever. Thanks

Southswede
05-15-2012, 17:07
With everyone giving Glock grief for not introducing a single stack gun, you would think that more would be in favor of the S&W release of the shield.

If it didn't have the manual safety I would find it interesting. Jeff Cooper said: "safety is something that happens between your ears and not something that you hold in your hands." I remember why most loose Force on Force battles and that is not clearing the holster properly or not manipulating the safety. When the SHTF, I want to grip and rip and not worry about manipulating another button before I can engage an adversary.

Because of the above stated reason I will stay with Glocks and for single stack 9's I like the Kahr until Glock introduces a single stack 9.

The Shield's safety does not need to be engaged and the gun remains safe. The safety is harder to engage than it is to disengage. I've found I have no worries of accidentally engaging the safety.

Nakanokalronin
05-15-2012, 17:08

Jeff Cooper also favored the 1911 which everyone knows has a thumb safety. :supergrin: I'm sure it was second nature to him since he trained with it as does many other people. I will say that if your not willing to train to manipulate a thumb safety, get a grab and pull trigger type of gun. This is not to say people that don't like thumb safeties do not train, just that minor practice is involved if your not used to any manual devices.

I think I already mentioned this, but the safety on the Shield seems to take more effort to put on than it is to take off. It may be this way so you can choose to use it or not.

Southswede: Beat me by a second. :embarassed:

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 17:09
I agree it really is not going to quite make it as a pocket gun and I certainly am not going to trade either a J frame or a G26 for one, but I do want a Shield.

Haldor
05-15-2012, 17:21
I liked the shield, but I can't see how it is enough better to replace my PF9 or my G26. I am happy with what I already have.

deputy tom
05-15-2012, 17:47
I'm not interested in one right now. Too much on my plate. Maybe next year? tom.:dunno:

mixflip
05-15-2012, 21:04
My G26 makes it very hard for me to desire any other CCW gun since my G26 conceals so dang good even if it does have a double stacked mag and 10 rounds in the mag. I carry it in a IWB kydex holster with a T-shirt, cargo shorts and flip-flops in the summer and no one has ever noticed Im carrying.

That makes the desire to spend $500 on the shield a tough sell. I do want one for fun but I dont see me buying one anytime soon.

aaronrkelly
05-15-2012, 23:36
I held the Shield at the NRA Convention.....Knew I had to have one.

Then I started looking at some of the OTHER offerings in single stack 9mm.

Ended up buying a KelTec PF9 and Im happy with the purchase.

So inadvertently the Shield made me want a KelTec PF9.

......but it is a very nice gun. I own a full size M&P and while I never really warmed up to it, its been a superb weapon.

JEEPX
05-16-2012, 03:57
I have a G26, CM9, and an LCP to choose from. The Shield holds no interest to me.

Bob Hafler
05-16-2012, 05:21
Seems like a good gun from what people are saying but I personally have no interest in one as my PM9 with night sights has been perfect.
I hope S&W does well with the Shield, as I do with all American companys. I'm glad to see it as competition amoungst gun manufactures can only be a win for the consumers.

Stover918
05-16-2012, 05:27
im good with my glock. I can handle a double stack all day. I dont buy every new gun that pops up on the market. Dont feel bad about not wanting one. Not everyone jumps on the wagon.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

Bilbo Bagins
05-16-2012, 07:17
Looks to be a little more than .20 thinner: http://thrumylens.org/featured/review-of-the-smith-wesson-mp-shield-9mm/

I'll measure it up to my FS M&P 9mm when I get the Shield in hand since some are claiming it's barely smaller than a FS M&P which goes to tell me they haven't even seen one in person yet. I guess haters gonna hate. :rofl:

According to S&W own website.

Shield- frame width 9.5

why just the frame width not the overall width? :dunno:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

M&P compact width 1.2"

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764517_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

ron8903
05-16-2012, 07:27
No desire to get one, I like my G26 for my ccw.

JAS104
05-16-2012, 07:32
Yep, I agree with you.
I don't dislike it, per say, but I'm not a fan, and not interested in it.
My G19 would get jealous, anyway.

L Pete
05-16-2012, 07:58
I've never seen one except on the forums. Size wise, it's bigger than my CM9. If I need a bigger gun than my CM9, I'll carry something much larger. My CM9 is quite dependable, and easily carried either in the pocket or inside a IWB holster when my dress doesn't permit me to carry my G-36 or G-23. Therefore, I have no real interest in the Shield, unless it would be the only gun I used for concealed carry, and then it would have to compete with the CW9. I feel the Kahr makes a great carry gun in any of it's caliber lines, and it would be difficult for the Shield to compete against them for my business. Personally, I feel completely comfortable with a single stack, as I carry extra mags, even when carrying the G-23. I wished Glock would make single stacks in 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig with the G-19/23/32 sized barrel and slide. I think that would be a better carry option for those of us who are not in LE.

vtducrider
05-16-2012, 14:34
To me, it's not fair to compare the Shield to G26. I am 5'10", 168 lb. I can conceal the Shield much better than G26, and it's also much more comfortable.

The LCP has very similar profile, but I don't like the way it recoils. Feels like I am "high-5ing" a cement wall every time I shot it.

I never shot a Khar, and have read mixed reviews about them. However I do like the looks and feel of the CM9 when I had the chance to check it out at a gun shop.

dhoomonyou
05-16-2012, 15:06
Dont want to pay the price, not crazy about the firepower
I can ccw something larger

thats why baskin robbins has so many flavors

Nakanokalronin
05-16-2012, 15:11
According to S&W own website.

Shield- frame width 9.5

why just the frame width not the overall width? :dunno:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

M&P compact width 1.2"

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764517_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

As you can see from the link I provided, it's quite significant. Hold one in your hands next to a double stack M&P and it's even more clear. Not sure why they only provide frame width. It makes sense since controls really don't factor in, especially when they are against the body. I guess the obvious difference in width is just an illusion. I should have one in my hand soon enough and I'll measure them up with a caliper and post pictures for all the doubters that have never held one.

SuperSport
05-16-2012, 15:19
Jot me down for "like it" crowd. Held it, fondled it, kindly asked if I could dry fire and feel reset, then fired it. I personally think it's nice to see something new with ergo and girth. Imho not too big - not too small. I think it would conceal better than my 26. Different strokes for different folks.

Ranger45
05-16-2012, 16:28
Not interested in the Shield. Interested in an M&P 9 or M&P 45 at some point in the future? Maybe...but not the Shield.

G23Gen4.40
05-16-2012, 18:25
Seemed pretty cool at first sight, but not enough weight advantage to justify it.

Jackalo626
05-16-2012, 18:30
They don't interest me either.

Quiet
05-17-2012, 02:57
I also have no interest in the S&W Shield.

Southswede
05-17-2012, 05:16
Just a thought.....I wonder how many people without interest in the Shield, would be the exact opposite id Glock had released their version of a single stack gun, the same size as the Shield.......:dunno:

zackwatt
05-17-2012, 05:22
I don't either.

South Fla
05-17-2012, 13:30
Just a thought.....I wonder how many people without interest in the Shield, would be the exact opposite id Glock had released their version of a single stack gun, the same size as the Shield.......:dunno:

Still nope.

mac66
05-17-2012, 13:52
Oh look, another compact pocket pistol. Just what everyone needs. :yawn:

Southswede
05-17-2012, 14:06

Yeah......only thousands have been sold and people waiting to buy thousands more......

vtducrider
05-17-2012, 14:45

I didn't have a compact pocket pistol until the Shield. I didn't keep my G26 because the G19 carries almost just as well for me.

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 17:33
I got to hold one in the shop and it felt great in the hand, I like the size, I like S&W. I was hot on it before it came out, but then I was like "Well I have a PM9 and a G26 so...:dunno:"

Then I got on a kick about getting more G17s and a new AR, and well you know how that goes...:rofl:

Maybe I'll get back around to it. I'm sure I will at some point. I liked the look, feel and features sheet.

Jake Starr
05-18-2012, 08:27
No, you are not. I have no need nor a desire for one.

Bilbo Bagins
05-18-2012, 09:02
As you can see from the link I provided, it's quite significant. Hold one in your hands next to a double stack M&P and it's even more clear. Not sure why they only provide frame width. It makes sense since controls really don't factor in, especially when they are against the body. I guess the obvious difference in width is just an illusion. I should have one in my hand soon enough and I'll measure them up with a caliper and post pictures for all the doubters that have never held one.

I agree that with with the picture their is a difference, and looking at a ruler 1/5 of an inch is a very noticeable distance. Its just tucked inside a waistband, I think the difference is not that noticeable.

Like I said I would have a major hard on for the Shield if it was more pocketable, say 5.5 inches in length and an oz or so lighter. While people bytch about the Ruger LC9 safety, I kind of like the option of having a manual safety on a pocket gun. Having a reliable & durable 9mm pocket gun option would be the awesome. The problem for me is the LC9 is sometimes too long for comfortable pocket carry and you are strongly advised not not use +P.

The S&W Shield is slightly longer than the LC9, and basically makes it a dedicated IWB or OWB carry gun. At that point having something slim is a little helpful, but not too much. If it was thin and lightweight, I could get a little more excited, but at a loaded weight that is either the same or really close to a G26 or other double stack subcompacts.

I'm not trying to bash the Shield and I hope everyone who buys one is happy and has a great time with their purchase. Its just like the OP of the thread asked, "are you not excited about the Shield?" , and again I say I'm not, just like I wasn't excited with the Walther PPS when it came out. For me the Shield is not a good pocket gun, and I have better options for IWB carry.

Boot Stomper
05-18-2012, 20:58
I do not want a M&P shield. Very happy with the G27. A bit thinner for 4 or 5 less rounds is not a good trade off.

gunsmoke92
05-18-2012, 20:58
Guess I'm weird as well. :whistling: Don't have one, don't need one, have no desire to get one.

My S&W 49 has my smaller carry needs covered. If I feel the need to pack a few more rounds, my 3rd Gen S&W 6690 (which by the way has proven to be every bit as reliable and accurate as any plastic fantastic I've shot) carries and conceals just fine. For real serious work, I'll strap on my S&W 28-2. Obviously I like S&W, but there's just not a reason I can find to jump on every new fad that pops up. :supergrin:

tahco gunworks
05-18-2012, 21:27
Not the first.

I shot one at the NRA show a few months ago, and hated the trigger. When I posted my results, some of the cross dressing SW guys got their bras all in a wad.

The trigger is horrible, and it's not that much smaller than the 26, but has a lot more parts, and it a pain to strip down completely. You need a press just to get out the extractor.

Some of you don't need a thinner pistol, but need to go on a diet and reduce your girth, not the pistols. :rofl:

You may return now to the previous 'OMG the Shield is God's Gift to shooters' review.

shadowman024
05-18-2012, 22:07
no interest, rather buy a tried and true design g26 even if its alittle thicker, thats the only positive the shield has is its thin

Reb 56
05-18-2012, 22:32
I'm interested in all the new single stack 9's that have been coming out lately. Have to admit the Shield looks good but then several of them have caught my attention. Just have to try some out to see what fits my needs best.

fnfalman
05-19-2012, 01:47
I'm not a fan of micro pistols, especially micro pistols whose reliabilities are suspected. For micro guns, I'll stick with my Colt snubbies. Six for sure, baby!

3rdgen40
05-19-2012, 02:13
I do not want a M&P shield. Very happy with the G27. A bit thinner for 4 or 5 less rounds is not a good trade off.
4 or 5 less rounds ? Your math does not compute.:dunno:

09crue
05-19-2012, 06:04
from all the reports i've heard the Shield is very reliable and by all accounts a great gun,but after handling one it's not exactly small or light,just thin...:dunno:

3rdgen40
05-19-2012, 06:54
from all the reports i've heard the Shield is very reliable and by all accounts a great gun,but after handling one it's not exactly small or light,just thin...:dunno:
Thin is in.:supergrin:

DaBurna
05-19-2012, 08:00
<===== owns both the G26 & G27 and is a Glockaholic.... This is my 1st M&P model, but I bought it for a purpose. It carries slimmer than my Baby Glocks and still shoots like a full sized gun. Now those of you who get the Shield40, I think will not enjoy shooting it as much. The Shield9 is a slim CCW pistol that you could go to the range and enjoy shooting it all day long!

Besides, they're all tools right?? Batman never complained about having too many tools in his utility belt!:tongueout:

TNGlockman
05-19-2012, 08:15
I'm not really interested in one either. I'm very happy with my Kahr CM9 as my main CCW...

oily_oink
05-19-2012, 08:35

No, your not alone! I didn't like the feel of it either.

FiremanJim
05-19-2012, 09:02
see no need for it.

ZO6Vettever
05-19-2012, 13:22
No Shield for me. I only have a weapon for self defense. Shiels, not enough boolits for me. Army range instructor said "you can shoot paper bulls all day but they ain't moving or returning fire". I want all the boolits I can carry in a weapon.

JMag
05-19-2012, 19:06
Another answer to a problem I do not have. Looks good enough for those who do though.

ShaneS
05-19-2012, 20:25
The trigger is horrible

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't know how you can say the trigger is horrible, though.

To me it feels like a Glock trigger except the final break is a little heavier at 6.5 lbs. I wish it were as light as the Glock but can't see how it is horrible. I did not like the trigger on an LC9 I once owned but it wasn't horrible.

I like the slimmer single stack grip of the Shield.

I own a Shield but I'm not a fanboy. I also like my Kahr.

I'm glad we have so many choices in this country that we can be as picky as we are...

Restless28
05-19-2012, 20:48
My wife carrys a G26 everyday IWB Kydex no problem and she likes the way it shoots and mild recoil. She used to carry a 380 Little crappy pistol ruger that kicked more and was not accurate or reliable. Anybody that can't carry the g26 everyday can,t carry anything.

That last sentence is utter bullsqeeze, although I'm not shocked by it either.

Restless28
05-19-2012, 20:50
I'm not a fan of micro pistols, especially micro pistols whose reliabilities are suspected. For micro guns, I'll stick with my Colt snubbies. Six for sure, baby!

Like.

tpr7304
05-20-2012, 09:10
I will stick with my CM9.

CajunBass
05-20-2012, 18:16
Now I just bought a Model 12-2, airweight 38. The Shield might be expendable. On the other hand, it doesn't eat anything, and takes up little room.

I listed mine on a local for sale board for the same price I paid for it. Got two offers in 15 minutes. It's gone down the road.

Nothing at all wrong with the gun. For a plastic semi, it's a good one, I just can't warm up to them. I've tried them before, and probably will try another one, one of these days.

Maybe I'll buy a J-frame with a lock this time.

RYNOCG201
05-20-2012, 18:19
I don't either, my G27 works for me.

ted1
05-20-2012, 18:32
No interest at all if its not a Glock it just doesn't rock Imo.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MIKES LAW
05-20-2012, 18:38
I have a G26 and a Nano. I don't need or want a Shield.

In 9mm compacts I have the same. I looked at all the other single stack 9mm's and shot a couple. The Nano was the one I chose. Reliability, cost, size and trigger favored the Nano IMHO.

I wanted a Ruger LC9 to go with my Ruger LCP but the trigger killed it for me. I got rid of a Kel tec PF9 because even though it never had any negative issues, I just never quite trusted it....just me.

I do wish that Beretta made a higher capacity spare mag for the Nano but I have a few 6 round spares when I carry it.
FWIW.

The Shield wasn't available (that I knew of anyway) when I bought the Nano, but in comparing the specs and the trigger pull, even though IMO the Shield has a more classic looking pistol shape, I am still pleased with the Nano.

rgregoryb
05-20-2012, 18:41
I enjoy the heck out of mine, shoots great, easy to carry. I usually carry a BHP , but it's nice to have a choice

rv4driver
05-20-2012, 18:52
Fave small single stack 9's...my Smith 3913, Walther PPS, and Kimber Solo 9 Carry (after two trips to Kimber for additional work to make it acceptable). So much for paying the Kimber price premium. The 3913 is just sweet. Period. And 100% dependable. the Walther is also, and will eat +P all day long. The Solo Carry 9 is the smallest, and so wins the "what will I ankle carry today?" test.
Having said that, I'm interested in the Shield, but mostly as an FFL, and for an FFL to have in stock a wildly desired gun is prime. Too bad I can't get one, though! Demand is high, supply is low. My distributors are letting me down. Bigtime.

So, pocket carry? None of them. The Kimber comes closest, but they have to be some BIG pockets.

My only "pocket gun" is my wife's LCP. And it's a purse gun, what a waste. AND, the trigger pull spans at least two time zones. And no sights, really. They say they have sights, but...not so much. So, yes, it's a "belly gun".

jamaicanj
05-20-2012, 22:29
I finally saw one at the gun shop but was not all that excited with the slim grip in my hand.

GlockFish
05-21-2012, 01:32
I don't want one.

scccdoc
05-21-2012, 09:53
I'm on a waiting list for a 40 Shield, anyone have one? Feedback please........... DOC