A Curious Thought..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A Curious Thought.....

travis34769
05-14-2012, 17:15
Now, im no salesman.... But would it have made more sense to add a laser to the front of the S&W Shield and call it a S&W Bodyguard 9mm?

I dont know, seems like they would "expand" that line a little wider.

Just a thought.

bac1023
05-14-2012, 17:35
I'm not a laser guy, but I guess they figure the shield can actually be aimed effectively without the laser, whereas the Bodyguard not so much.

ca survivor
05-15-2012, 06:20
most people don't like lasers and it ads to the price of the firearm.

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 06:44
There is a time and place for everything including lasers...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/1695487_8494096_mywrite/lost_in_space_robot.jpg

I like lasers, just not on my handgun.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 08:31
S&W is known for coming up with different names for their series of pistols. They named the M&P Shield to keep it along their M&P line. I think they could have called the Bodyguard, the M&P Bodyguard but it is a bit different from the M&P line.

:50cal:

Bilbo Bagins
05-15-2012, 09:12
I hate to say it, but one of the biggest flaws on the Bodyguard 380 is that stupid laser. There was issues with the activation buttons not working. Then there was issues with the screw of access panel for BG380 laser either stripping after a battery change, or even worse coming loose and causing the gun to malfunction. Both the Shield and the Bodyguard 380 are heavy for their size, adding a laser only adds weight. The Shield with a laser would be well over 21oz.

Bob Hafler
05-15-2012, 09:24
Love lasers in construction for elevations ,plumb, level and square. With the exception of a bore sighter for my rifles I do not use them on any of my weapons.

KentuckyPatriot
05-15-2012, 10:07
I'm not a laser guy, but I guess they figure the shield can actually be aimed effectively without the laser, whereas the Bodyguard not so much.

In all fairness, this statement is simply wrong. The bodyguard indeed has real sights which are dove-tailed in place making for the possibility for aftermarket sights as desired. XS Standard and Big Dots are available as one option should you prefer that instead of the painting and coating that I did to mine.

I just bet a friend I could outshoot him with mine...too bad I didn't bet more than lunch at Subway! :rofl:

Seriously, I went into the LGS to buy an LCP and purchased the S&W Bodyguard .380 due to the sights and the fact that most of the bugs have been worked out. It was cheaper, better grip, and I don't use a laser.

The first 50 rounds I kept in two 6" Shoot and See's with only one flyer.

Have you used one to actually see the sights?

http://actionshootingpodcast.com/wp-content/gallery/guns/bodyguard380_109380_r.jpg

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2010/09/st_pocket-pistol_c.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-Bodyguard380/DSC09933.JPG

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-Bodyguard380/DSC09932.JPG

http://gunholstersunlimited.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/400x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/x/s/xsssw-0022p-3_7.jpg

KentuckyPatriot
05-15-2012, 10:13
I hate to say it, but one of the biggest flaws on the Bodyguard 380 is that stupid laser. There was issues with the activation buttons not working. Then there was issues with the screw of access panel for BG380 laser either stripping after a battery change, or even worse coming loose and causing the gun to malfunction. Both the Shield and the Bodyguard 380 are heavy for their size, adding a laser only adds weight. The Shield with a laser would be well over 21oz.

Not wanting to bash, but do you know how little a laser actually weighs? Have you ever weighed a CT Laserguard or similar laser module. They don't add any appreciable weight to the firearm.

Yes there were some early problems as there have been in many firearms that go into production. I have not had any of the issues with my purchase and I have close to 500 uneventful rounds with mine...I also pocket carry it in slacks as a backup and can tell you it is no more noticeable than the P3AT that my wife carries as her backup.

Reading about a firearm only gives one side...I have bought dogs in the past, but this ain't one of them!

Bilbo Bagins
05-15-2012, 11:53
Not wanting to bash, but do you know how little a laser actually weighs? Have you ever weighed a CT Laserguard or similar laser module. They don't add any appreciable weight to the firearm.

Yes there were some early problems as there have been in many firearms that go into production. I have not had any of the issues with my purchase and I have close to 500 uneventful rounds with mine...I also pocket carry it in slacks as a backup and can tell you it is no more noticeable than the P3AT that my wife carries as her backup.

Reading about a firearm only gives one side...I have bought dogs in the past, but this ain't one of them!

For the record, I almost bought a BG380 but after doing some research and talking to owners on the S&W forum and the BG380 forum I bailed on it. Not to mention that I had TWO different gun shop owners at two different stores tell me they rather not sell me the BG380.

It was almost hysterical;

"Here is $400 I like to buy a S&W Bodyguard."
"look we like you, and we like your business so we rather you buy this $300 LCP, or nothing at all."

Gun store #2 was even better;
"Don't buy it, its a POS" in front of 4 other people looking over my shoulder while I held the gun."

Again while some of the problems have been resolved by S&W others are still there. Its simply a poor design to have access panel to the laser battery inside the gun, under the barrel and guide rail.

For what it is the BG380 is heavy. Its less than an ounce lighter than a Sig P238. The Crimson Trace laser for the lcp is 2oz, and while that may not sound like a lot, taking the laser out of a 15oz fully loaded BG380, would make the gun about the same weight as a KahrP380 loaded and less than 3 ounces away from the LCP loaded weight.

2 or 3 ounce may not sound like a lot but remember 16oz=1 pound, and the difference between something that disappears in your pocket and you forget you are carrying it and having a gun that feels like a brick in your pocket is a matter of ounces.

Berto
05-15-2012, 19:13
Weight really isn't an issue with the BG380. It's light.

What sucks was naming a small auto the Bodyguard. That's a revolver name.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 19:23
For the record, I almost bought a BG380 but after doing some research and talking to owners on the S&W forum and the BG380 forum I bailed on it. Not to mention that I had TWO different gun shop owners at two different stores tell me they rather not sell me the BG380.

It was almost hysterical;

"Here is $400 I like to buy a S&W Bodyguard."
"look we like you, and we like your business so we rather you buy this $300 LCP, or nothing at all."

Gun store #2 was even better;
"Don't buy it, its a POS" in front of 4 other people looking over my shoulder while I held the gun."

Again while some of the problems have been resolved by S&W others are still there. Its simply a poor design to have access panel to the laser battery inside the gun, under the barrel and guide rail.

For what it is the BG380 is heavy. Its less than an ounce lighter than a Sig P238. The Crimson Trace laser for the lcp is 2oz, and while that may not sound like a lot, taking the laser out of a 15oz fully loaded BG380, would make the gun about the same weight as a KahrP380 loaded and less than 3 ounces away from the LCP loaded weight.

2 or 3 ounce may not sound like a lot but remember 16oz=1 pound, and the difference between something that disappears in your pocket and you forget you are carrying it and having a gun that feels like a brick in your pocket is a matter of ounces.

Well you got some laughs and were saved from a possible dud purchase. What are you looking at next.

:50cal:

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 19:24
Well when you put it that way, the Military and Police is a revolver name also.