Is this AR worth the Price? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is this AR worth the Price?

Apetrulis01
05-14-2012, 20:51
Hello: I have found the following rifle for sale and wondering if it is worth it: Approximately 2000 rounds through the gun.

Noveske N4 16.1 Inch Midlength
LMT Complete Lower Receiver
Noveske Branded Troy BUIS
Magpul Asap Sling Plate
Magpul Miad FDE
Magpul Trigger Guard
Magpul CTR FDE
Magpul BAD Lever
CMT Ambi Safety
Geisselle SSA Trigger
Primary Weapons System FSC556
Bravo Company Mod 4 Charging Handle
Samson Evolution 11 inch Rail
Daniel Defense Rail Mounted Front Sight
GG&G Rail mounted sling swivel
Vtac Two Point Sling FDE

Will throw in a couple of pmags as well.

Seller is looking to get 1400 but maybe able to get lower. Is it worth is, I think so.

Adam

ronin.45
05-14-2012, 21:26
Buying those parts would cost more than that, but buying someone else's home build is always a little risky. I'd have to inspect it first.

WarEagle32
05-14-2012, 21:32
Buying those parts would cost more than that, but buying someone else's home build is always a little risky. I'd have to inspect it first.

Agreed

05-14-2012, 21:38
With 2k+or- rounds? No.

WoodenPlank
05-14-2012, 21:54
Agreed

Yup. Too high of a chance that someone bubba'd it, and you'll be left holding the bag.

Sent from the USS Sulaco, while nuking the site from orbit.

Hour13
05-14-2012, 22:25
Alot of nice goodies(aside from the BAD lever, just IMO), price is less than the cost to build. But as others have mentioned, was it built right? I would certainly want to meet at range, shoot it first! And if you aren't very familiar with the platform, ask if he'd mind you letting a gunsmith look it over. If he hesitates on either, walk away.

Assembling an AR isn't rocket science, but you'd be amazed at some of the screw-ups that happen often enough with "home builds".

WarEagle 1
05-15-2012, 00:10
Nope too high!!

CPatt44
05-15-2012, 01:17
Not a good price with the round count. I wouldn't pay more than $1000.

stopatrain
05-15-2012, 06:12
No way

MrMurphy
05-15-2012, 06:50
Agreed.

And who puts all that nice stuff on there, then uses a Samson rail........

I wouldn't pay above $800 for a homebuilt with 2k through it. If i paid it at all.

eracer
05-15-2012, 06:56
Love the responses. 2K rounds is nothing in a 5.56 gun.

I've got a home-assembled carbine that has 3K rounds through it, and I will stack it up against any NIB $1500 factory rifle out there for accuracy and reliability.

I agree that the gun must be inspected and fired first. But $1400 for a gun made of quality parts that shoots well? No problem.

Decguns
05-15-2012, 07:19
As an FFL, I won't even buy or take as a trade a home built AR. If it blows up in your face, what can you do? Nothing. You're stuck. Your home built AR may be worth a million $$$ to you, it's nothing but used parts to me.

The service life of an AR barrel is about 10,000 rounds. With 2000 rounds through the rifle, there's plenty of life left, but I'd be curious if there's any cleaning rod wear. Not just at the muzzle. Steel rods will erode (round) the rifling in the center of the bore as they flex. That's why you pull a bore brush through an AR, not push.

Apetrulis01
05-15-2012, 08:20
Thanks for the responses. So $1000 is a good price for the gun?

Adam

Apetrulis01
05-15-2012, 10:14
OK, talked to the guy some more. Basically he bought the Noveske Upper complete along with the LMT complete lower. The parts he switched ouot were the trigger and the magpul accessories.

Make it any better hearing this?

Adam

phinfan
05-16-2012, 20:49
I do not exactly understand some of the comments here, i would not pay extra for a home built gun, but if the parts are good, there is no reason, as far as i can see, not to buy it.

I have put together a lower, and as far as i recall, there was no fitting required. I believe the bolts do not even require fitting, i believe that subject was covered by Adco gunsmiths on the AR15 forum. I just do not think that platform would always require the same skills as a 1911, or a M1a might to perform at a high level.

So to summarize, if you have two rifles, one a real factory Noveske, and it's twin, but with a Noveske upper, and Noveske lower receiver with all high quality known parts, i would think the factory gun would be worth more.

It would cost more also because of the excise tax, but i would be interested in the other gun as long as the price was right, and it performed correctly.

WoodenPlank
05-16-2012, 20:52
I do not exactly understand some of the comments here, i would not pay extra for a home built gun, but if the parts are good, there is no reason, as far as i can see, not to buy it.

I have put together a lower, and as far as i recall, there was no fitting required, i do not think they even fit the bolts, if i remember correctly what the gunsmith from Adco said on the AR15 forum.

So to summarize, if you have two rifles, one a real factory Noveske, and it's twin, but with a Noveske upper, and Noveske lower receiver with all high quality known parts, i would think the factory gun would be worth more.

It would cost more also because of the excise tax, but i would be interested in the other gun as long as the price was right, and it performed correctly.

First, it's overpriced. Plus, you never know what someone might have screwed with internally that can come back to bite you in the ass later.

WoodenPlank
05-16-2012, 20:53
Thanks for the responses. So $1000 is a good price for the gun?

Adam

1k puts it in the range of possibly worth it, but only if you get the rifle thoroughly checked out first, to make sure nothing has been screwed up.

Cole125
05-16-2012, 21:42
I personally would not buy someones build, simply because I like to get my guns new. You never know what someone else can "upgrade" on a gun to make it not work like it should.

That said if, he's a AR guy who knows what he is doing and you know it got built correctly and not molested, those are quality parts he's using so a 1k offer would be OKAY.

Rancher
05-17-2012, 10:33
I'd stick with the Colt or Sig you talked about last week. NIB with a warranty is the way I prefer to go.

Rancher

M&P15T
05-17-2012, 10:46
With 2k+or- rounds? No.

Not a good price with the round count. I wouldn't pay more than $1000.

Love the responses. 2K rounds is nothing in a 5.56 gun.

Seruously.

How many rounds does Filthy 14 have through it?
2k is too high of a round count?:rofl::rofl:

kellyclan
05-18-2012, 00:25
OK, talked to the guy some more. Basically he bought the Noveske Upper complete along with the LMT complete lower. The parts he switched ouot were the trigger and the magpul accessories.

Make it any better hearing this?

Adam

If you plan on shooting 100rds through it and putting it in your safe, its a rip off.

If you plan on shooting the piss out of it, buy it ASAP and see how fast you can wear out the barrel.

phinfan
05-18-2012, 04:06
First, it's overpriced. Plus, you never know what someone might have screwed with internally that can come back to bite you in the ass later.

I was not commenting on the price in my post, rather the viability of a build.

Also, buying a factory gun used, in no way guarantees you that the original owner didn't screw with it, so maybe this is a new/used issue.

I can be wrong here, but someone explain to me where the hand fitting is on a AR15? I have built a lower, and watched the upper being made, it's basically a snap-together model. If the gun in question works, has the parts you like, and is priced right...buy it.

I think the gun in question here may be a little high, but i have not watched prices since i built mine. It has all very good parts and a DD lite rail, and i think total cost for me was around 1000.00.

Apetrulis01
05-18-2012, 08:11
I asked him to lower the price and he said it cost him 2100 to build, so he is not going any lower than 1400.

Adam

whitebread
05-18-2012, 11:41
For $1400 there are countless better options. ...especially given it is an amateur 'home build.'

grg3d
05-18-2012, 11:56
For $1400 there are countless better options. ...especially given it is an amateur 'home build.'

This... if your going to spend $1400.00 you could go new and set it up any way you want.

Also do you know how the AR was treated?

rgb03
05-18-2012, 13:17
So are we calling a complete upper and lower with some accessories put on it a home build now?

Apetrulis01
05-18-2012, 15:20
>>>>>>

doolyd
05-18-2012, 15:53
Yeah I don't get all the comments either. Most of the time everyone tells you to do things yourself. If this guy bought the upper and lower complete and changed around accessories it is a joke to think he screwed something up. If his build is priced at 2100 I think you are getting a great deal.

Go to the gun range with him, inspect it and if it shoots well, buy it. Its not uncommon to have a problem with a brand new gun to which everyone on here is going to tell you to fix it yourself. Working on AR's is not very difficult so anything that may be wrong will most likely be an easy, low cost, fix. My AR is worth about $1800, at least that is what it cost me to build it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Since it is a "home" build then I guess nobody would offer me more than $600 for it. :rofl:

I say do it.

But don't get mad at me if it doesn't work out.

Apetrulis01
05-18-2012, 16:35
I still think it is a good deal. He is in Miami, so i will be able to look at the gun before buying it.

For others asking I am going to be using it for three gun and patrol, so the rifle will be shot a crap ton.

Adam

rgb03
05-18-2012, 17:19
If you are good with all the accessories he put on it and don't plan on sinking more money into it then it seems like a alright deal. A lot of time these type of guns are not worth the asking price because people over value the accessories they put on them. Most times people want to add there own stuff and really don't want the extras. I think that's why most are saying its overpriced.