Slightly Condesending Preppers Article in Seattle Times [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Condesending Preppers Article in Seattle Times

glockeglock
05-15-2012, 13:40

TangoFoxtrot
05-16-2012, 04:51
What do you expect from the media? Some newspapers get rid of their garbage by printing it! We will always be looked down on as whackos, but will be the first ones to be asking for help if the SHTF!

quake
05-16-2012, 08:57
...12 cases of peas and beans, seven pounds of powdered milk, 50 pounds of flour, 50 pounds of rice, 20 pounds of frozen chicken breasts, a 4,000-watt generator and some 35 gallons of gas in containers to run a freezer...
:dunno: :upeyes: Even in my lifetime this level of "stockpiling" wasn't always considered "hoarding" or even "prepping"; it was simply being an adult with a family to look after. Yet now it's not only uncommon, it's uncommon enough to be considered newsworthy.

As far as priorities, to each his own; but I'd personally put more emphasis on things like the normal day-to-day stuff in that list above. He's got level-4 armor for a 5-year old girl? Oy.

Just_plinking
05-16-2012, 10:02
Funny that they start the article by referencing the Cuban missile crisis. Being concerned about a nuclear standoff between two superpowers happening right off your shore was pure poppycock :upeyes:

jvbronco
05-16-2012, 10:16
As far as priorities, to each his own; but I'd personally put more emphasis on things like the normal day-to-day stuff in that list above. He's got level-4 armor for a 5-year old girl? Oy.

This. This is why people look sideways at prepped who prepare for such outlandish situations. This is also the type that media seeks out for stories. Most people see guns as an unnecessary precaution - maybe media is to blame, maybe it's not (who knows for sure). But having what is likely military-grade body armor for a 4-year old only fuels the perception of a over zealous paranoid wacko. This becomes an easy target for media to exploit and make the group look bad.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

glockeglock
05-16-2012, 15:10

racerford
05-16-2012, 15:50
:dunno: :upeyes: Even in my lifetime this level of "stockpiling" wasn't always considered "hoarding" or even "prepping"; it was simply being an adult with a family to look after. Yet now it's not only uncommon, it's uncommon enough to be considered newsworthy.

Farmers always strived to have these kinds of stocks of "canned' foods to make through the winter until the next harvest. It wasn't odd, it was necessary.

A child does not need level 4 armor, she needs a strong room to hid in that is more bullet resistant than level 4 armor. Think a concrete storm room, with a bullet resistant door. Level 4 won't protect a child from the same cartridges. The deformation levels allowed for an adult will likely kill a child.

DunRanull
05-16-2012, 20:24
The Cuban Missle crisis wasnt "poppycock" at the time. The US and SU were staring one another down on the issue of nukes in Cuba pointed at the American Heartland. SU blinked and the missles were removed. Kennedy took it in the shorts over the Bay Of Pigs betrayal and wasnt going to catch that again.
Insofar as prepping goes, one should stock up on things you use and rotate stock. If at all possible keep such in an area not visible to friends, guests or neighborhood kids hangin out with your kids. The less said about your plans the better. The Mormon LDS church has a website or two about how and what to "stock pile" for several years at a time.

Berto
05-17-2012, 01:02
I think they jumped on it because a so called 'survivalist' offed his family, pets, etc and retreated to a bunker near North Bend, killed himself when equally armed folks arrived to bring him to justice.
Many of the bedwetters that have overtaken Seattle would like to associate him and his way of thinking with survival/ preparedness in general, since it conflicts with their general Sodomite/ Govt dependancy mindset.....I'm guessing.

TSAX
05-17-2012, 01:42
The readers' comments section is priceless.

I didnt read the comments in this article but usually in most news article and youtube the comments sections are priceless/entertaining/:shocked:

:50cal:

TangoFoxtrot
05-17-2012, 04:40
I think they jumped on it because a so called 'survivalist' offed his family, pets, etc and retreated to a bunker near North Bend, killed himself when equally armed folks arrived to bring him to justice.
Many of the bedwetters that have overtaken Seattle would like to associate him and his way of thinking with survival/ preparedness in general, since it conflicts with their general Sodomite/ Govt dependancy mindset.....I'm guessing.

Well if something major happens the gov't isn't going to bail these sheep out. Look how they screwed up during Katrina in 05. That incident should have opened up a new mindset like...DON'T DEPEND ON GOV'T TO HELP YOU! ( Unless you live in another country):upeyes:

quake
05-17-2012, 06:22
Farmers always strived to have these kinds of stocks of "canned' foods to make through the winter until the next harvest. It wasn't odd, it was necessary.

A child does not need level 4 armor, she needs a strong room to hid in that is more bullet resistant than level 4 armor. Think a concrete storm room, with a bullet resistant door. Level 4 won't protect a child from the same cartridges. The deformation levels allowed for an adult will likely kill a child.
My point exactly. :thumbsup: