Moderized DSA RPD Full-Auto [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moderized DSA RPD Full-Auto

Sturmgewehre
05-15-2012, 14:05
This thing was an insane amount of fun. The Hughes amendment makes me sick to my stomach.

DS Arms RPD Machine Gun - YouTube

Foxtrotx1
05-15-2012, 14:34
Awesome video. I want one of those in semi or vltors pkm.

Slackinoff
05-15-2012, 14:42
Perfect hog hunting weapon. I would have so much fun.

Veedubklown
05-15-2012, 14:46
Did you mean "Modernized" in your subject title? Because I kept trying to find the motor (Motorized). Neat rifle!

DFin
05-15-2012, 16:06
It seemed like it had no muzzle rise even when you were firing loooooong bursts.

Nine Shooter
05-15-2012, 22:44
Mine came a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. I bought some 100rd SAW bags for it, but I had no idea they are so hard to find, I should have bought some more.

I put an Eotech on mine and a different foregrip. It is VERY heavy and I see myself putting a bipod on it in the near future before I take it to the range. The belts that were included with the gun from DSA are very used and some of the teeth are broken.

Sturm, your last video about how DSA's taken over production from Wise-Lite of the receivers and that you've given them another chance played a part in persuading me to pick one of these neat weapons up. There is another guy on youtube who has a semi version with a neat bipod/foregrip setup.

Rally Vincent
05-15-2012, 23:00
Mordernized= dummer looking.

AK_Stick
05-16-2012, 00:27
RPDs are pretty good for what they are.

That said, in the belt fed league they're pretty much outclassed by just about everything else.

In the day of them and the 60 though, they were probably the best GPMG going.

TSAX
05-16-2012, 00:42
:cool:, Awesome videos, you got a gig most of us dream of:wavey:

:50cal:

bac1023
05-16-2012, 05:43
Very cool :cool:

eracer
05-16-2012, 06:10
Good muzzle control.

fnfalman
05-16-2012, 07:31
Like typical Russian military arms, these guns are rugged and reliable. The only thing that turned me off was the non-disintegrating link belt - same with the PK series.

Nine Shooter
05-16-2012, 11:26
Here is my semi version. I wish it was auto. I've even thought about putting one of those crank triggers on it :upeyes:

Ridgeway
05-16-2012, 19:25
Did you ever get your semi-RPD working?
IIRC in a video you did last year you were still having some trouble with it.

I keep wanting one, even w/o the fun switch. But it's pricey for something that may or may not work.

RHVEtte
05-17-2012, 17:39
Here is my semi version. I wish it was auto. I've even thought about putting one of those crank triggers on it :upeyes:

Seems like the perfect platform for a Slidefire or Bumpski stock.:whistling::supergrin:

4TS&W
05-17-2012, 17:53
Seems like the perfect platform for a Slidefire or Bumpski stock.:whistling::supergrin:

You stole my thunder..

Nine Shooter
05-22-2012, 15:10
You stole my thunder..

Gosh I wish, I think the are between the grip and the receiver tube extension is too long though for the AR Slidefire.

TED
05-22-2012, 23:22
The RPD was way ahead of its time being one of the first SAW's. However, as previously noted it has been eclipsed. Also, if I were restricted to 100rds of belted ammo, I would indeed rather have the RPK, having the ability to take standard mags, plus the drums. Apparently, the Russians agreed since that is what they did. I think that the only arguable benefit of the RPD over the RPK is the open bolt mechanism which, particularly regarding the lack of a quick change barrel, may be something to consider (and lacking in the semi-auto).

TED

NEOH212
05-23-2012, 02:53
The Hughes amendment makes me sick to my stomach.

Leave it to the Government to screw up a good thing.

The Hughes amendment needs repealed. While we are at it, we might as well repeal the entire unconstitutional NFA too.

NEOH212
05-23-2012, 02:54
Oh, by the way...

Fantastic gun and video as always!

:wavey:

TalkToTheGlock
05-23-2012, 11:20
Wow! I want one now!

Subbed to your channel!

Nine Shooter
05-29-2012, 11:03
So I took my semi to the range yesterday, what is the trick to loading these things?! It seems like there should be some sort of bolt hold open, but there isn't on mine. The cover wouldn't close when the first round was over the bolt.

Sturmgewehre
05-29-2012, 11:10
You can't put the first round directly over the bolt, if you do it can't feed because it's going to try and pull the belt into the gun when you pull the bolt to the rear. Lay the first round just left of the bolt so when you pull the charging handle to the rear it can pull the belt one round over.

The other option is to leave the cover closed and pull the starter tab through. Pull the belt into the receiver to where it just meets resistance, then pull the bolt to the rear and it will pull the belt the rest of the way into the action and strip a round into the chamber when you let the bolt go home.

Nine Shooter
05-29-2012, 11:29
Thanks Sturm! That helped out a lot! I could not figure it out from the manual :) I think I managed to get through a half a belt and had a malfunction and couldn't get it reloaded.

In your experience, can you use belts that are slightly damaged or will that just lead to failures? A couple of the ones that came with mine have the forward piece of the shell holder broken off.

Sturmgewehre
05-29-2012, 11:32
I've found that if I can get a round in the belt it will work. Slight nicks, dents, bends, etc. haven't caused me too many problems.

8-Ball
05-29-2012, 18:34
Looks like fun! Recoil looks manageable as well. Nice gun!