Ruger LC9?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9??

MississipVol
05-15-2012, 16:03
After buying my first every handgun a month ago (Gen 4 G19), I now have the "bug" and would like to get a pocket pistol for concealed carry. When I say "pocket carry", I truly mean that I plan to carry this weapon in my front pants pocket. (I am applying for my CC permit tomorrow.)

After looking at several different guns and watching a few youtube videos, I feel pretty good about a LC9 for the following reasons:

1. Seems small enough to carry in pants pocket.
2. Good price at LGS ($350)
3. Have not seen any real issues with the gun in my "research"
4. Long trigger and external safety seem reassuring (more so than problematic) since I will be carrying in my pocket next to my "junk" and plan to keep one in the chamber

Anyone want to comment on my reasoning? Since I am pretty new to handguns I would appreciate advice from seasoned gun owners/shooters.

TIA

Goldendog Redux
05-15-2012, 16:07
Considering the ten mile long trigger pull, the external safety is lame and wonky to operate. I don't use it. I am used to swiping safeties off.

Otherwise, the LC9 does the job I expect of it. Still have not found an agreeable holster for it.

MF

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 16:12
My LC9 went back to Ruger for a new firing pin and came back within a week or so, so they did a great job repairing it. I consider it a bit large for pocket carry. It is a good small gun and I like mine especially considering the size and price. If I was absolutely sold on pocket carry for about the same price I would go for one of the aluminum J frames that at least around here seem to be on sale lately at around 350 also.

Just_plinking
05-15-2012, 16:16
A lot of people say it is too big for "true" pocket carry. I have no experience with it. I like the idea of a long trigger pull and an external safety, just in case you want to throw it in your pocket w/o a holster (most people would advise against ever doing this!!!-but it's better than nothing in a pinch). Hickok45 has a bunch of videos on this gun and its analogs, just saying in case of the unlikely event that you weren't already aware of this.

MississipVol
05-15-2012, 16:19
A lot of people say it is too big for "true" pocket carry. I have no experience with it. I like the idea of a long trigger pull and an external safety, just in case you want to throw it in your pocket w/o a holster (most people would advise against ever doing this!!!-but it's better than nothing in a pinch). Hickok45 has a bunch of videos on this gun and its analogs, just saying in case of the unlikely event that you weren't already aware of this.

I have seen Hickok45's reviews. I value his opinion although I've never really heard him say anything really negative about any gun he reviews. But he seemed to like everything but the long trigger.

I know the LC9 is borderline pocket carry. I threw out consideration of the shield because it is even bigger. But is there a smaller 9mm at that price with the reliability of a LC9?

Just_plinking
05-15-2012, 16:23
I have seen Hickok45's reviews. I value his opinion although I've never really heard him say anything really negative about any gun he reviews. But he seemed to like everything but the long trigger.

I know the LC9 is borderline pocket carry. I threw out consideration of the shield because it is even bigger. But is there a smaller 9mm at that price with the reliability of a LC9?

Again I have no experience with these guns, but he seems to like the pm9. The the CM9 is very similar to the pm9, but it's closer in price to the ruger.

http://youtu.be/0Av9COfLB_Y

Edit: I also think reliability is in the eye of the beholder. You can have good or bad luck with anything, especially stuff in that size and price range.

Just_plinking
05-15-2012, 16:28
I almost got a cm9, but decided, like you, to get a gen4 g19 first because I didn't have a "fighting" handgun. I'm in the same boat as you, just a little behind.

Bruce M
05-15-2012, 16:36

A J frame is smaller and in the same price range. Without getting into a caliber war any of several here have shown some chronograph or published numbers suggesting any of several .38 loads that are close or sometimes a bit more potent than 9mm. A .357 J frame passes a 9mm , but may not be enjoyable to shoot in 9mm if it is one of the light weight versions. 9mm J frames are usually higher in price than the discussed range, as is the Rohrbaugh which from what I have seen easily beats the competition size wise.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 16:53
Have you shot it or at least dry fired it to try the trigger. If you like the trigger get it, thats the only downside I see, the safety is what it is, it could do without but not a deal breaker.

:50cal:

MississipVol
05-15-2012, 18:15
Have you shot it or at least dry fired it to try the trigger. If you like the trigger get it, thats the only downside I see, the safety is what it is, it could do without but not a deal breaker.

I fondled it at the LGS and the trigger was definitely different than my G19 but not anything I think I couldn't get used to. At first it was a turn off but less so when I thought of the positive aspect of a long trigger in my front pocket.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rilkil23
05-15-2012, 18:21
Carry my lc9 everday to work. Recently sold my lcp so the lc9 has become my only "pocket" gun. Works really well in a cargo pocket but too big for a pair of regular pants. Trigger sucks but I have gotten familiar with it and I've grown to trust it since I have not had a single issue. Hate the loaded chamber indicator but I do use the external safety. Smartcarry is the best way to carry my lc9.

Cole125
05-15-2012, 19:00
1. The LC9 is no pocket gun, if you want a true pocket gun I suggest the LCP or P3AT or if you have the money a Kahr P380.

2. If you do pocket carry, you must carry in a pocket holster, AND with nothing else in that pocket.

Let me tell you, I am a pretty big guy, 6ft 210 pounds, and I carry a Kahr P380 in my front pocket everyday. Anything bigger would be uncomfortable IMO.

Another option is getting a good inside the waist band holster for your G19. The Crossbreed super tuck is a good one.

Cole125
05-15-2012, 19:02
But is there a smaller 9mm at that price with the reliability of a LC9?

Look into the Kahr CM9, little more money but not much.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 19:26
Some people can pocket this gun, I can pocket a G26 but not all the time (different pants). Getting a good pocket holster is key. The DeSantis is a good option.

boone10
05-15-2012, 20:53
I bought an LC9 just 2 weeks ago and have run 150 flawless rounds through it to date. As far as the trigger goes, the last 50 rounds that I fired--I finally started getting used to it and was wearing out my steel prairie dog at the 7 yard line (doing fairly well out to 15 yards. Its more accurate than I initially thought--sandbags and now understanding the trigger proved that to me. I'm looking forward to carrying it soon--occasional pocket but mostly IWB. Thin is in.

FWIW, I will be going with another holster from pjholster.com. I have 2 already with no complaints. They are basic, inexpensive and get the job done.

A trigger kit is out there, but not necessary for my purpose of CCW only.

good luck

aaronrkelly
05-15-2012, 23:44
I pocket carry alot.....but not with my LC9. Its far to big......and Im 6ft4in and 300lbs (my pockets are big).

For a true pocket gun I agree with Cole.....P3AT or LCP. (I have the P3AT)

The LC9 does make a very nice, slim weapon very suited to IWB carry.....or I actually carry it OWB - carries very nice and leaves no printing.

Mines currently enroute to Ruger.......several FTE out of the box. Im sure it will be a good gun when Ruger is done with it.

SIGMA 40
05-16-2012, 04:50
I love my LC9, it is a damn good gun...I have had zero issues with it and the trigger never bothered me, I started out with a Sigma and we all know they are known for their awesome triggers LOL I pocket carry with a blackhawk number 3 holster a lot of the time but when Im wearing a pair of pants with smaller pockets I go with the blackhawk number 6 holster, both have worked great for me...My recommendation is go for the LC9, you wont be disappointed...My only suggestion once you get it is lots of range time to gain knowledge and control of the trigger...After a few hundred rounds of break in, that trigger will feel right at home on your finger...

Sigma 40

Bilbo Bagins
05-16-2012, 08:06
I would also agree that the LC9 is borderline pocketable, and it really depends on the person and the pocket.

For me personally the cutoff line is 5 3/4 in total length. In the Khaki pants I wear to work I can pocket carry a Sig P238 that is 5.5" long and smaller guns with no problems. But if I stick my 5.9" long Kel Tec Pf9 in my pocket the back of the gun peeks out.

Here is the problem, if the gun barely peeks out you got to worry when you sit down because it may peek out more, or even fall out if you have a crappy holster. You also have to worry about someone standing behind you, like if you are waiting in line for something, seeing your gun. I also have the same problem with jeans, and while my .380 pocket guns are fine, the Pf9 will dig into my leg when I front pocket carry while driving.

I have a few of cargo shorts and loose fitting pants with big pockets that can carry the Pf9, but at the end of the day the PF9 will not fit in every pants pocket and I have to dress around it. The Pf9 and the Lc9 are pretty much identical in size.

I would take a hard look at the Kahr CM9 or the Beretta Nano for easier pocket carry. The price point is not that much different from the LC9. That 1/3" to 1/2" difference in length makes a big difference.

MississipVol
05-16-2012, 08:50
If the Nano or CM9 had an external safety, I would take a longer look at both but I want to keep one chambered and, as a new shooter, just don't feel comfortable with it in my front pants pocket without a safety.

CBennett
05-16-2012, 15:15
1. The LC9 is no pocket gun, if you want a true pocket gun I suggest the LCP or P3AT or if you have the money a Kahr P380.

2. If you do pocket carry, you must carry in a pocket holster, AND with nothing else in that pocket.

Let me tell you, I am a pretty big guy, 6ft 210 pounds, and I carry a Kahr P380 in my front pocket everyday. Anything bigger would be uncomfortable IMO.

Another option is getting a good inside the waist band holster for your G19. The Crossbreed super tuck is a good one.

^ agreed, im smaller at 5'10" 165 and I know I CANT pocket carry it and I refuse to wear tight pants so thats in realtively "loose"/"relaxed" fit jeans like Wranglers or something. That said anything bigger than say a Mustang II,LCP,P3AT is too big for me for pocket carry...ive even tried carrying my Taurus CH85 and I cant do it.

WarEagle32
05-16-2012, 16:06
The LCP and LC9 are excellent pistols that work great for what they are designed to do. I have not had any trouble at all out of either of mine!

Wishoot
05-16-2012, 16:43
I've had an LC9 for a couple of months. I've put around 500 rounds down it since that time. Frankly, I'm still not sure I like it. You would be hard pressed to carry this in a pocket unless it was a very big pocket. The trigger pull is very long and somewhat creepy. The sights are just OK. Accuracy is OK, and recoil isn't that bad.

But I can still shoot my LCR more accurately even with +P's.

mikegun
05-16-2012, 18:25
i sold my lc9 and got a pf9 for pocket carry, rf levis, the pf9 is lighter and thinner for the pocket, much cheaper 230.00, no probs at all and i did this as i dont wish to go lower then 9mm...carried in mika pocket holster....it really is much lighter then all the other 9s i tried..

WiskyT
05-16-2012, 18:38
I love mine. I have easily over 2,000 rounds, I have stopped counting, and not a single malfunction. I've shot several different JHP's: Winchester 115, 147, Ranger 147's, Federal 115's, Gold Dot 124's, 124 and 147 XTP's, and some Zero 125's, several different factory ball loads, and large amounts of cast 125TC's. It east everything and never misses a beat.

Pocket carry depends on the pocket, and how closely you will be scrutinized. An LCP will definitely pocket better. I used to pocket carry a 442 and I'd rate it about equal to the LC9 in terms of conceal-ability. One important aspect of pocket carry, probably THE most important aspect, is how easy it is to get the gun out. The contours of the LC9 allow it to very easily slide out of a pocket when drawn. Some of the smaller guns are squared off on the back of the slide and this can cause it to hang on the edge of the pocket. I have this problem when trying to present my G27.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/P3040343.jpg

Cole125
05-16-2012, 18:44
If the Nano or CM9 had an external safety, I would take a longer look at both but I want to keep one chambered and, as a new shooter, just don't feel comfortable with it in my front pants pocket without a safety.

I would rethink that, with Kahr pistols the trigger is the safety. Its a very nice smooth trigger, but its long and its NOT going to shoot unless you intentionally pull the trigger.

If A. you keep it in a pocket holster, and B. keep your finger off the trigger its 100 percent safe to carry a Kahr with a round in the chamber.

Cole125
05-16-2012, 18:46
^ agreed, im smaller at 5'10" 165 and I know I CANT pocket carry it and I refuse to wear tight pants so thats in realtively "loose"/"relaxed" fit jeans like Wranglers or something. That said anything bigger than say a Mustang II,LCP,P3AT is too big for me for pocket carry...ive even tried carrying my Taurus CH85 and I cant do it.

Yeah I too wear loose fitting pants and really for me anything bigger than a 380 would be uncomfortable to walk with, uncomfortable to drive with, and I would be worried about printing.

With modern self defense ammo, .380 packs a punch. I fully believe it will do the job if needed.

A .380 in your pocket is much better than a Glock 21 or 1911 left at home in the safe.

MississipVol
05-16-2012, 18:52
I would rethink that, with Kahr pistols the trigger is the safety. Its a very nice smooth trigger, but its long and its NOT going to shoot unless you intentionally pull the trigger.

If A. you keep it in a pocket holster, and B. keep your finger off the trigger its 100 percent safe to carry a Kahr with a round in the chamber.

I understand that logic, I really do. And maybe after I've been around pistols for years I'll feel differently. But right now, considering I'll be keeping the gun next to my "manhood", I prefer a safety so I feel better about keeping a round in the chamber. Just one slip, pulling out the gun in a adrenaline-filled situation, and......

09crue
05-16-2012, 18:56
from all the range reports i've heard the lc9 is a very reliable "pocket 9mm"...it's a top pick if you don't mind the looong trigger pull and all the safeties..

Cole125
05-16-2012, 19:02
I understand that logic, I really do. And maybe after I've been around pistols for years I'll feel differently. But right now, considering I'll be keeping the gun next to my "manhood", I prefer a safety so I feel better about keeping a round in the chamber. Just one slip, pulling out the gun in a adrenaline-filled situation, and......

Thats understandable, carry a gun that your comfortable with. Kahr does offer a PM9 with a manual safety. Its considerably smaller than the LC9, however the price tag is not. It is the ultimate in a small, easy to carry 9mm. You will be able to find it for couple hundred under MSRP but its still a lot more than the LC9, but whats your life worth?

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

Stonewall308
05-16-2012, 19:19
I have one. I bought it used a few weeks ago and put about 100 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Ironically, this was the day my G23 had its first malfunction ever, which did not please me. But the LC9 was very accurate and reliable.

There are a few things I don't like about it. First, the manual external safety doesn't lock up as solid as the one on my S&W bodyguard. Second, the obnoxious commiefornia loaded chamber indicator is too big, sticks up maybe an eighth of an inch. I know there is a remedy for that. Third, I don't like internal key locks on my guns.

But all in all, I am happy with the LC9.