S&W 637 VS. Ruger LCR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W 637 VS. Ruger LCR

downtown
05-15-2012, 16:51
I am thinking of selling my S&W J-Frame 637 and getting a Ruger LCR. What are the pros and cons of this? All advice welcome, thanks.

ZekerMan
05-15-2012, 17:01
All I can add is that I really like my Ruger LCR, fantastic smooth trigger and accurate. Not my everyday EDC but it has its place depending on how I have to dress. I did add a front night sight.

Jason D
05-15-2012, 18:05
The cons would be selling a S&W for a Ruger

The Pirate
05-15-2012, 18:56
The cons would be selling a S&W for a Ruger

Haha, I would have said that a year ago. Now I like my KLCR better than my 442. The only real reason is it has a better trigger and I can carry .357 if I want. If you want something different, try it. I bet you'll like it a lot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GoBigOrange
05-15-2012, 19:03
LCR for the win.

collim1
05-15-2012, 19:56
I like Ruger, dont get me wrong I own a few but in this case I think the 442/642 is unbeatable.

The LCR is a good offering IMO, but i have a 442 and did not feel the LCR was up to par.

The Smith jframes have the set the standard pretty high.

GoBigOrange
05-15-2012, 20:02
I like Ruger, dont get me wrong I own a few but in this case I think the 442/642 is unbeatable.

The LCR is a good offering IMO, but i have a 442 and did not feel the LCR was up to par.

The Smith jframes have the set the standard pretty high.

How so? I have heard numerous people say the trigger on the LCR is far better than the 442. These guys were diehard smith guys too.

Just curious how the LCR was not up to par?

not trying to cause a pissing match, I don't have much experience with smith jframes but I'm curious what makes them better.

MLittle
05-15-2012, 20:14
There is no way that you would choose a Smith 642/442 over the Ruger LCR if you shot them side-by-side. I own both........ I want to love my Smith, I really do. It is so traditional and it is all metal (I like metal guns....my edc is a Sig P220 Carry). In good conscience, I could not recommend the Smith over the Ruger. Why?

1) Trigger......Ruger is light years ahead of the Smith 642/442, try them and see.
2) Sights.......the Smith has a gutter and very low front sight. The Ruger has clearly defined stock sights.
3) Recoil.......The Hogue grips on the Ruger reduce felt recoil on the Ruger by 25%(my estimate) from the Smiths.
4) Weight.....The Ruger weighs 13.5 oz, the Smiths 15 oz.

The only drawback for the Ruger is that the nice grips do make the stock a little larger than the Smiths and may interfer with draw. Doesn't bother me, but may you....

ithaca_deerslayer
05-15-2012, 21:06
There is no way that you would choose a Smith 642/442 over the Ruger LCR if you shot them side-by-side. I own both........ I want to love my Smith, I really do. ...

I shot them side by side. I didnt notice the LCR being any better than my 642. I didn't like the LCR ergos as much. But I consider them equally good choices. A buyer should look at both and pick the one they like better.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-15-2012, 21:07
I am thinking of selling my S&W J-Frame 637 and getting a Ruger LCR. What are the pros and cons of this? All advice welcome, thanks.

The con is you lose the single action. The pro is the double action only is less likely to snag on a draw.

Gregg702
05-15-2012, 21:37
Keep the 637, save up for the LCR. Both are good guns.

ScottieG59
05-15-2012, 21:45
It is hard to get ahead trading in guns that are fully capable to do the job. My old carry J frame is a Smith & Wesson 649 in 38 Special. It was and still is a great revolver.

I also have a Ruger LCR in 38 Special +P. It is very light and very easy to conceal. The trigger pull is second to none in double action revolvers. I sometimes carry in an IWB clipon holster and even my elastic waistband shorts stay up.

You will find people with all sorts of claims about brands and quality. You should go with what fits your goals and not fall for the trash talkers. The Ruger LCR is a very good choice. I have mine fitted with a front night sight and the Crimson Trace LaserGrip.

Out there in fly-over country...

Breadman03
05-16-2012, 05:28
I had a 642 and an LCR. I still have the LCR, but sold the 642 to get a S&W 22A and a bunch of ammo. I wanted a .22 pistol and didn't need two tools for the same purpose. The LCR stayed due to a better trigger and sights. Both are light enough that weight wasn't a factor to me.

Bruce M
05-16-2012, 05:59
If the weight is the issue then the nod goes to the LCR, if the trigger is the issue the nod appears to go the LCR and if size is the issue then keep the 637.

ftlupton
05-16-2012, 07:18
I have both, if I had to I would let the LCR go and keep the j frame. That being said the wifes LCR is all she will shoot anymore and she is deadly with it out to 20yds. I put Pachmyar grips on my Smith and love the feel when shooting.

CBennett
05-16-2012, 07:26
Better trigger pretty much and a weight reduction .. Id do it in a heartbeat. IMO the best CC revolver on the market right now is the LCR. To be honest id look for my best price on the LCR and KEEP the S&W but if you asked me you can have one or the other id take the Ruger.

ricklee4570
05-16-2012, 07:29
I prefer the LCR

pmwglock19
05-16-2012, 07:41
My son this weekend bought an LCR instead of the S&W. Liked the feel and trigger a lot better.

Orive 8
05-16-2012, 07:44
I have had numerous S&W snubbies over the past 27 years. When I was working on duty - a S&W snubby was my BUG.

A couple of years ago I traded my S&W 342ti .38 sp. for a Ruger LCR .38.

Reason - the trigger. Best trigger on any snub that I have ever shot. (And like I posted, I have had lots of different S&W snubs, as well as several different Colt snubs).

Just ordered the XS tritium express front sight for my LCR and a new Garrett Industries "Silent Thunder" IWB holster for it also. What can I say - wife got a new car, bathroom and laptop so I had to get something for myself :supergrin:

ray glock
05-16-2012, 15:58
I ordered a ruger LCR in 357 and it was way out of spec from the factory. The trigger would not return either. I was very disappointed. I sent it back to Ruger and they rebuilt it by replacing various parts. For some reason they also replaced the front sight. When I took it to the range I was so impressed with the little revolver. It was like custom tuned and shot point of aim at 7 yards. It is a great little EDC. The thing I like the most about it is that I can point shoot it (up to 7 yards) better than most any other revolver/pistol I have ever owned. The extra weight of the part steel construction does not hinder the ease of carry for me but it is not feather lite like the little 442. I don't have any experience with the 38 LCR.

GlockMonk
05-17-2012, 06:48
I own both. I'll take the LCR any day over the Smith. LCR has much better trigger, less weight, and most importantly customizable sights. You could either put on a fiber optic, or tritium night sights on the LCR very easily. The Smith does however win the "looks" department.

GlockMonk

itstime
05-17-2012, 06:52
As others have said the Ruger is better nowadays. I don't carry revolvers enough to change or get one to justify the price.

If I were starting over it would be the LCR.

ArmedMikeQ
05-17-2012, 18:18
I bought a Ruger LCR .38SP and never have looked back. I love it !

Ryder102
05-18-2012, 13:24
I love my LCR in 357, though I think I'll be removing my Laser Grips and replacing it with the Hogue Tamer grips. I love the trigger and like the ease of replacing the front sight (mine's an XS night sight).

Like others have already said, though, I would save up for the LCR and keep your S&W. It's just my opinion, but I look back at some guns I have traded for others, and wish I would have kept them.

F_G
05-18-2012, 17:08
I have a S&W 442 and 37, I also have a Ruger LCR. After installing the XS sight on the Ruger, the Smith's rarely leave the safe anymore. It is however a matter of personal preference, some seem to not like the ergo's of the LCR, I like the ergo's of the LCR better. I will also say that my Smith's NOW have a better DA trigger than the LCR, but not by much, and they've both had work while the LCR is bone stock.

VictorLouis
05-20-2012, 19:16
I've had many J-frames over the years. Older J's w/forged guts have better triggers than new MIM guns. That said, I've now had three LCR's, and you're much more likely to get a better trigger, stock, with the Ruger. Some are better than others, as with other Rugers, and some Smiths. But, overall, much better than a stock J-frame.

I've had three LCRs go through my hands now and I am impressed. I sold the magnum quickly, as shooting mags through it was bordering on brutal, and torture for the others on the range. The 158+p through the .38 cal version is right at my level of tolerance, but still tolerable. Anything in lighter grain-weight is no problem.

The two .38s I had were equipped with the XS dot front night-sights. First one had the Big Dot, and I couldn't shoot a group with that to save my life. At 25yds, I would have honest concerns about hitting the torso of a BG! Still, i liked the idea of that front night-sight, so when one came around with the SMALL dot installed, i tried that. Better, much better. But, I still couldn't cover 5 shots with my outstretched hand at that distance, and it gave me pause. I've always been able to shoot groups like that with my J-.38s.

The LCR OEM Hogue grip is fantastic, and the odd-looking OEM boot-grip they have for it also works like a champ. The latter is much better for pocket-carry, as you can imagine. The anodizing on this thing is something really special. It cleans-up almost like it's teflon, Ditto the darkened stainless cylinder. MPro 7 and a nylon tooth brush are all the gun needs.

Downside, the LCR barely works with the HKS 36 loaders. Boot grips allow the loader to work better, but not at all smooth as with a J-frame. The Safariland Comp I for the J-frame, my fave loader, is a no-go. Strips are a non-issue, and work fine with either gun, of course.

An acuaintance recently advised me of:

http://5starfirearms.com/

They make a custom LCR specific HKS-style all-aluminum speedloader. Its built smaller than the generic 5-shot .38 HKS loaders.

1 - the speedloader is all aluminum with a release knob 1/2 the height of the HKS and with none of the knurling - that is a turn off (no pun) with some shooters

2 - The 5-Star comes from the factory set to release counter-clockwise - You can ask to have them set to clockwise (HKS fashion) - I would recommend getting one each in each direction and test them both. If one works better for you they can always switch the other for you later.

If your Smith has a lock, I'm not a fan. Yes, the Ruger has one to. Right at the base of the grip-frame, under the grips. :tongueout: I don't see it ever becoming a problem in inertial activation under recoil. Your Smith has an external hammer, and the LCR doesn't. If you keep your thumb over the hammer spur when you draw, you can mitigate the tendency to snag.