A year long search... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A year long search...

chammer
05-15-2012, 17:28
I first saw this firearm online more than a year ago. After going to many of the local gun shops across a span of a few months, I had given up hope. No one online seemed to have any either, so FFL transfers were out of the question too.

I started building a short list of other firearms I'd like to own, and began my search Saturday morning. A morning that started off as depressing as one of the larger gun stores had emptied it's inventory due to a change in ownership. However, the range is still open and one of the gentlement directed me to their now parent store.

I arrive at the parent store and its huge. I had never been there before as it was a bit of a drive from where I live - About 45mi.

So I walk in fully expecting to start acquiring parts for an AR15 build I've been wanting to do, and they sure did have a ton of AR stuff. Stripped lowers, assembled lowers, uppers, parts kits, etc.

Since I could do the AR really at any time, I started going to my short list of pistols (this specific 1911 being on that list). While checking out the others I wander over to the 1911 cases, and low and behold there she sat...2nd row down, third from the right.

I was super happy, but also a bit sad as I didn't quite have the money. However, I knew I would be getting paid a couple days later...so I did what any person would have done...I put down a good size down payment, and I paid her off and brought her home today!!

...and yes - this was the one, and only one, they had.

So anyways, for the guys that just want to see, here she is... My new S&W "E" Series!

http://www.christian-hammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1911SC-1sm.jpg

http://www.christian-hammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1911SC-2sm.jpg

http://www.christian-hammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1911SC-3sm.jpg

http://www.christian-hammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1911SC-4sm.jpg

I'm a bit leary about carrying and/or even shooting the thing since it's so sexy and I'd hate to do anything to mess that up, but at the same time...I spent a good chunk of moolah for it...I might as well see how she shoots, eh? :cool:

This is my first 1911, by the way, but I can see adding at least a couple more in the not so distant future! :supergrin:

Bullitt01
05-15-2012, 17:42
BEAUTIFUL 1911 my friend, I actually just got a chance to shoot that exact pistol last weekend when my cousin came up to Michigan with his wife. He had just picked it up after selling his beloved G27 and he was already crazy about that thing. The S&W E series bobtail is one of the finest 1911's in existance for concealed carry and for just plain looking good. Great choice on an excellent firearm and welcome to the venerable 1911!!!

EDIT: Just a side note, my cousin made it a point to tell me that his S&W does not like +P ammo. Take it FWIW, just a heads up!

carloglock19
05-15-2012, 18:40
Congrats on your new 1911. I also walked into the gun shop last weekend to my surprise they are under new ownership with only the range being open. Im not a fan of the parent store and their range so I hope a lot of things wont change at the current location. Im up for membership renewal which sucks. Anyhow enjoy your new 1911!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

chammer
05-15-2012, 18:58
Thanks, guys!

Bullitt01: I'm happy to hear that the firearm is what I have been expecting. The reviews for it I've found were also very positive. Thanks for the heads up on the +P ammo too!

carloglock19: Sounds like we ran into the same store, and parent store lol. The range was the only thing open there, and the info I had gotten from one of the gentlemen there. I don't normally travel down that way, but I had a mission that day to find some stuff as previously mentioned. I've been to their Hampton store a few times, and the people there have always been nice to me (unlike some of the other shops around here). The VA Beach location I ended up in was the same in that regard, but quite the selection! I'd argue that they're even bigger than Bob's in Norfolk.

On a side note, if anyone has any idea where I can get some grips for this guy it'd be appreciated. I've poked around a bit, but I can't seem to find any that fit the rounded butt. I love the wood, but would prefer to preserve them in their current state if I can. :)

fnfalman
05-15-2012, 19:15
Congratulations on the new toy.

carloglock19
05-15-2012, 19:16
It looks like we frequent the same gun shops.lol I knew it wasn't going to be good news when I walked into their VA Beach location to use the range and the racks and shelves were empty and all I got was; we are going through an ATF audit. I spend every other weekend in Hampton and used to check out A&P from time to time (good customer service). The shop on VA Beach BLVD has the biggest selection around and ok customer service I was not a big fan of their range upstairs though. Check out VZ grips website I think you can order their grips bobbed if I'm not mistaken, I got a set on my Loaded that are awesome.

FL Airedale
05-15-2012, 19:17
That's one of the best looking 1911's I've ever seen. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 19:20
Congrats, I am interested in shooting this version and compare, I really liked the S&W 1911 PD

:50cal:

glock2740
05-15-2012, 19:20
Congrats! Great looking gun.

faawrenchbndr
05-15-2012, 19:29
Congrats,.......looks great!

bac1023
05-15-2012, 19:43
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

chammer
05-15-2012, 19:49
It looks like we frequent the same gun shops.lol I knew it wasn't going to be good news when I walked into their VA Beach location to use the range and the racks and shelves were empty and all I got was; we are going through an ATF audit. I spend every other weekend in Hampton and used to check out A&P from time to time (good customer service). The shop on VA Beach BLVD has the biggest selection around and ok customer service I was not a big fan of their range upstairs though. Check out VZ grips website I think you can order their grips bobbed if I'm not mistaken, I got a set on my Loaded that are awesome.

It sure does! Although, for shooting, I usually stick with Bob's since its two blocks over from where I work and for when I get off early it's right there "on the way home". :P For extended/weekend shoots I usually hit up The Marksman since it's closer to my house, and the people there are the friendliest bunch around it seems. I'm working 2-10am tomorrow, so I'm considering going to one or the other to try this 1911 out. Will have to see how tired I am come 10am though lol.

Seems like everyone is getting conflicting information on Lynnhaven too. I've heard on another forum they lost their license, and now your ATF audit, and also what the guy told me first hand which was that they had changed owners and were awaiting the FFL transfer. The range itself seemed really nice the one time I went, but the Range Officers there left a lot to be desired. They really turned me off, but I couldn't deny their selection when I needed to see more of what was available locally. :(

Thanks for the info the grips. I'm browsing through their site now, and they do indeed have bobtail cuts. :)

carloglock19
05-15-2012, 20:21
Man thats a good looking 1911 enjoy your range trip neighbor.
-Carlo

larson1122
05-15-2012, 20:27
Very nice looking 1911, Congrats!

steve1911
05-15-2012, 23:54
Congrats!

Very nice.

1911club#410

southernshooter
05-16-2012, 05:10
You can get a 1911 for less money but I think any S&W 1911 is the best value you can get in a 1911 style. Purists don't like the external extractor but S&W's work.

Samboard
05-16-2012, 07:14
i love the grips on the E series. really nice.

FLSlim
05-16-2012, 10:14
Nice, now it is time to get it dirty!

ca survivor
05-16-2012, 11:05
nice, enjoy it.

TexasVine
05-16-2012, 11:07
Very cool!

chammer
05-17-2012, 21:49
Well, I got her out to the range today and put 50rnds through it. It's definitely a whole different animal than my Glock 19 or even the .38 snubby I have. I'm not sure if its because I shoot the Glock so much, but I found my shots wayyyy way low and a touch to the left of center. I'm talking like 4-5" low and 1" left at 15 yards. Although, despite that, my grouping there was quite nice lol. In comparison, the last range trip with the Glock I did the last 50rnds center mass in a palm size group at 15 yards.

Definitely packs a heck of a lot more punch than that 9mm does, thats for sure. I was shooting 230gr ball, and my recoil management needs a lot more work for that. I'm normally burn 115gr in the 9mm, so it was a lesson for sure.

Despite those issues, the firearm itself is extremely impressive. The trigger is the best I've experienced to date, although my experience in various firearms isn't quite extensive. Shot a lot over the years from the age of 13 (33 now), but never owned or spent any real time with anything until my Glock purchase last year.

Night sights too are a new thing for me too. I've been wanting to put them on the Glock, but it's never on my mind long enough to actually do it. However, it's amazing how great they actually work, and the sight picture is great!

The magazines, however, leave a bit to be desired. Perhaps because they're new and need to loosen up a bit, but on a freshly loaded mag it did hang up on me once. I've also found that both mags fully loaded seem to make the round below the top most point down a bit which causes the top most round to not feed out of the mag cleanly as it too wants to try and take a nose dive when feeding. Will keep an eye on it, and see how it does with some age but it's really my only gripe.

Anyways, thanks again for the compliments! I'm estatic that I finally found it, and more so that I was in a position to bring it home. Once I figure out my aiming with it, she may very well take over as my daily open carry! :)

Camu Mahubah
05-17-2012, 21:57
Is that a Scandium frame?

chammer
05-17-2012, 22:03
Is that a Scandium frame?

It is! :cool: