Recoil Spring Intervals for Ruger MkIII [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Spring Intervals for Ruger MkIII

40 0'Glock
05-15-2012, 18:14
Hey guys,

My Ruger MkIII Target (Stainless, Bull Barrel) has about 8,000 rounds through it (bulk packs) since I bought it about 8 months ago. It comes with me on every single range trip, it's an amazing plinker and dead reliable.

My question for the MKIII experts, any idea how often we should change the recoil spring on these things? I have a spare, but I have noticed no wear or function issues at all with the current spring.

What say you on the proper round count for replacing the spring? Thanks!

Cole125
05-15-2012, 18:40
Good question, I ordered a few extra recoil springs from Ruger for my MKIII target and I guess I'll just wait until I get malfunction related indications I need a new recoil spring.

You could play it safe and replace it every 10,000 or so. :dunno:

fnfalman
05-15-2012, 18:58
Shoot it until the cycling becomes erratic and then replace the recoil spring.

Jason D
05-16-2012, 16:17
I have been shooting a 22/45 for the better part of 20 years. It probably had 35-40K rounds through it and is completely stock. It still has the original recoil spring in it.

It is still reliable and there is no undo frame battering.

bac1023
05-16-2012, 16:37

Exactly

Bob Hafler
05-16-2012, 17:49

I was thinking along the same lines.

40 0'Glock
05-17-2012, 19:07
I was thinking along the same lines.

Sounds like a plan. Just shoot it until it starts giving me problems then pop in the new one.

8k rounds later, I actually enjoy the art that is disassembly and reassembly of the Mark series.

ModGlock17
05-17-2012, 19:22
Sounds like a plan. Just shoot it until it starts giving me problems then pop in the new one.

8k rounds later, I actually enjoy the art that is disassembly and reassembly of the Mark series.

I actually polished mine (bolt, stopper, inside of receiver, striker pin, extractor) with 600grit and blue-automotive paste then treat it with FrogLube with a little heat. It moves nicely and disassembles easily.

Bob Hafler
05-17-2012, 19:23

First couple times it takes some patients but after you do it a couple times it grows on ya.:rofl:

Haldor
05-17-2012, 20:29
Hey guys,

My Ruger MkIII Target (Stainless, Bull Barrel) has about 8,000 rounds through it (bulk packs) since I bought it about 8 months ago. It comes with me on every single range trip, it's an amazing plinker and dead reliable.

My question for the MKIII experts, any idea how often we should change the recoil spring on these things? I have a spare, but I have noticed no wear or function issues at all with the current spring.

What say you on the proper round count for replacing the spring? Thanks!

My Ruger Standard (pre Mark) probably had over 30K rounds through it, only thing I ever replaced was the magazine.