Which one of these rounds for CCW G20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these rounds for CCW G20

dannym
05-15-2012, 19:52
Currently I only have Federal Hydra Shok 180 grain JHP and Hornady 200 grain JHP/XTP.
Which of these two rounds would be better for CCW G20?

Berto
05-15-2012, 19:54
I'd choose the hornady....though both will shoot through about two people.

LASTRESORT20
05-15-2012, 19:54
Out of the "choice of those 2"....I would pick `Shok 180 grain JHP

4949shooter
05-15-2012, 20:10
Which Hydrashock do you have? The C10C or the P10HS1?

dm1906
05-15-2012, 20:20
I was sportin' basketweave back when Hydra-Shocks were first developed and issued to law enforcement. They looked really good on paper, but were an abysmal failure in practice. The latter version, supposedly "improved", were only marginally better. I carried SilverTips, before and after (until the Talons showed up). The XTP's are a MUCH more effective projectile, in any weight. Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Berto (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=28217)has it right, though.

Taterhead
05-15-2012, 21:40
Easy. The XTPs. Great versatile bullet.

dannym
05-15-2012, 21:53
Which Hydrashock do you have? The C10C or the P10HS1?

P10HS1. Are those the ones that aren't any good? If so I'll add them to the range bag and shoot them at the range.

dannym
05-15-2012, 21:55
4949shooter / taterhead, the XTP are what are currently in the G20.

glock20c10mm
05-16-2012, 01:40
Currently I only have Federal Hydra Shok 180 grain JHP and Hornady 200 grain JHP/XTP.
Which of these two rounds would be better for CCW G20?
Without knowing what you may or may not have reason to defend yourself against aside from humans, I'll say the following...

Federal claims 1030fps for the 10mm 180gr Hydra-Shok load. They claim their 40S&W load with the same bullet manages 1000fps. Who wants to bet the 10mm load won't even hit the claimed 1030fps from a G20? This boils down to the Federal 10mm load being a 40S&W load with a 10mm appearance. Not to mention utilizing a bullet in an old school design that has always left some to be desired. All in all, it's better than nothing.

The Hornady 10mm load is an honest 10mm load even if on the weak end of the spectrum for a 10mm load. Hornady claims 1050fps from a 5" barrel. Still, it's a heavy for caliber bullet at a relatively low velocity in general on top of being more bullet for caliber than needed against human adversaries. But as with the the Federal load above, it's better than nothing and is probably (very loosely IMO) better than the Federal load overall. But again, I don't know your specific risk assessments. Worst case scenario being equal to the Federal flavor.

Either will probably function perfectly reliably in your G20. Either has a fair chance of getting the job done at the expense of being relatively boring as a 10mm load. My bottomline suggestion is to carry either until you can replace them both with a 10mm load worth its salt.

Check out http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx for reasonable prices at true 10mm power levels. Pic the load that works best for your personal risk assessments.

Good Luck, Good Shooting, and Stay Safe!:thumbsup:

4949shooter
05-16-2012, 16:00
P10HS1. Are those the ones that aren't any good? If so I'll add them to the range bag and shoot them at the range.

Those are better than the C10C Hydrashocks. The C10C is rated at 950 FPS, which is basically a .40 S&W.

200 XTP is always a good round, but may over penetrate for use on most human targets. If you want to go with XTP for personal defense against human predators I would suggest a 155 grain.

glock20c10mm
05-16-2012, 16:16
If you want to go with XTP for personal defense against human predators I would suggest a 155 grain.
:agree:

CanyonMan
05-16-2012, 16:48
No question (for me) that between the two you named... The XTP hands down ! 200gr is fine. I don't often carry "in town" the 10mm. I use a M1911 45acp, BUT when I do happen to drop the 10mil in the truck "for town' I use the 200gr XTP's, although mine are my own hanloads and a bit warmer than factory, but I see nothing wrong with the factory 200gr if this is what YOU want to carry...

Good luck

CM

gofastman
05-16-2012, 20:22
If you want to go with XTP for personal defense against human predators I would suggest a 155 grain.
:agree: also!
the 155gr XTP will get plenty of penetration due to the bullet design.

I personally think this is one of the best CCW loads out there for 10mm:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=272
too bad they are ridiculously overpriced, I cant wait until Underwood answers back with a similar load, I'm sure it will be much more reasonable in price.

dm1906
05-16-2012, 21:44
:agree: also!
the 155gr XTP will get plenty of penetration due to the bullet design.

I personally think this is one of the best CCW loads out there for 10mm:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=272
too bad they are ridiculously overpriced, I cant wait until Underwood answers back with a similar load, I'm sure it will be much more reasonable in price.

The Tac-XP bullets are good, for a no-lead. I load mine for hunting a bit warmer than BB does (a necessity, in CA). They perform very well, but I don't think I'd intentionally use them against 2 legged critters. The faster they go, the more devastating they are. Video game graphics come to mind with these. The problem is the cost of the bullets. Testing is expensive! Hornady really needs to get on the handgun no-lead bullet bandwagon, then we'd have something. I use them for rifle rounds, and they are fantastic.

gofastman
05-16-2012, 23:05
The Tac-XP bullets are good, for a no-lead.

This is interesting!
What do you mean by "for a no-lead"? From the research and reading I have done I understood the Tac-XP bullets were a huge step forward in expanding bullet technology, regardless of material used

I don't think I'd intentionally use them against 2 legged critters
care to elaborate a bit?

dm1906
05-16-2012, 23:40
This is interesting!
What do you mean by "for a no-lead"? From the research and reading I have done I understood the Tac-XP bullets were a huge step forward in expanding bullet technology, regardless of material used

As good as they are, they are very difficult to develop a safe, practical (acceptable) load. As said, I load them for hunting, and the 140's are too light (so are the 155's, IMO, but they're what I have to work with). Lead is just more versatile. I'm working on developing tin/bismuth JHP and JSP bullets, and if they work out, they'll replace the copper, without a doubt. The greater mass occupying the lesser volume is more efficient at transferring energy. That's a fact.

care to elaborate a bit?

Referring to my hunting rounds. The 2 lines that followed should explain that. If I were concerned with lead (apparently, CA only considers lead poisoning a crime if the victim is a game animal, it's OK to shoot people with lead projectiles), I wouldn't hesitate to develop a Barnes round for that purpose. I have XTP's for that, and they require no improvement at this time.

Cwlongshot
05-17-2012, 15:34
I agree, the Hydra Shok loadings are abysmialy slow...

The 200 XTP is kind of a strange bullet...

Hornady them selves lists TOP working velocity as 1200. But the 180 XTP is listed as a TOP working vel as 1800fps. What this means is the 200 g altho its heavier, is of LIGHTER construction. SO this is a case where a heavier bullet may not offer bigger preformance... (Preformance in this case being penetration)

If you do any reading, you will learn that in many cases, the 10mm is not loaded to its full potential. Unless you but Underwood/Cor-bon ETC. SO if your buying defensive ammo, you have allot of choices and buying most will net you a tiny increase over the 40 S&W. You will also learn its a penetration powerhouse. So lighter, faster and or lighter constructed bullets will likely offer the least penetration.

I do not know the ballistics on the 200G loading but if its near 12, it would be my choice over the Hydra Shok...

I have carried the 175 Silvertip since my first 10MM and its always a very good preforming loading.

CW

CanyonMan
05-17-2012, 15:59
I agree, the Hydra Shok loadings are abysmialy slow...

Hornady them selves lists TOP working velocity as 1200. But the 180 XTP is listed as a TOP working vel as 1800fps. What this means is the 200 g altho its heavier, is of LIGHTER construction. SO this is a case where a heavier bullet may not offer bigger preformance... (Preformance in this case being penetration)If you do any reading, you will learn that in many cases, the 10mm is not loaded to its full potential. Unless you but Underwood/Cor-bon ETC. SO if your buying defensive ammo, you have allot of choices and buying most will net you a tiny increase over the 40 S&W. You will also learn its a penetration powerhouse. So lighter, faster and or lighter constructed bullets will likely offer the least penetration.

I do not know the ballistics on the 200G loading but if its near 12, it would be my choice over the Hydra Shok...

I have carried the 175 Silvertip since my first 10MM and its always a very good preforming loading.

CW

Hey amigo.. Can you give reference to this part I highlighted in blue plese ?

I push 200gr XTP's dang hard and fast in several calibers and have had NO problems at all through tons of various media, even live animals. Just want to know what I am missing from what your saying that Hornady is saying here in blue.

thanks ! appreciate it. ;)

CM

gofastman
05-18-2012, 00:18
Hey amigo.. Can you give reference to this part I highlighted in blue plese ?
:agree:

this data seems to contradict your statement of 1800fps, I have no idea how old the chart is though
http://www.helmuthofmann.de/pdf/hornady/17-20_bullets_handgun.pdf

Jitterbug
05-18-2012, 07:11
Handy chart gofast, thanks.

As a rule Hornady products have always given me the desired results and I wouldn't be surprised if over the years Hornady hasn't tweaked their bullets to compete with the Gold Dot's, Golden Sabers and other far more expensive and difficult to find wonder bullets we have out there.

Makes me wonder if a 200 gr. XTP @ 1000 fps wouldn't be a very good personal defense load in 10mm.

WeeWilly
05-18-2012, 09:23
You can go to Hornaday's website and view their product catalog online. Page 22 has the operating ranges of the XTP bullets. Basically the same chart as linked above.

G36shooter
05-22-2012, 18:10
For a factory load for carry, I use Win. STHP, otherwise I load my own 10mm.

Angry Fist
05-22-2012, 18:19
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/2012Loadout.jpg

nickE10mm
05-22-2012, 19:13

Hornady them selves lists TOP working velocity as 1200. But the 180 XTP is listed as a TOP working vel as 1800fps. What this means is the 200 g altho its heavier, is of LIGHTER construction. SO this is a case where a heavier bullet may not offer bigger preformance... (Preformance in this case being penetration)

Not trying to offend you in the least, sir... but I would have to respectfully disagree.

I've pushed both the 10mm 180gr XTP and the 200gr XTP VERY fast... I've pushed the 180's well over 1400fps and the 200's over 1325fps.... I can tell you that the 200gr is the tougher bullet by far. In fact, the 200 seems to thrive at higher speed whereas the 180 seems more designed for 1200fps.

Just food for thought :cool: