Holster or Not [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster or Not

DirtyPete
05-15-2012, 20:45
Does anyone conceal carry without a holster? As in just tucking it into your waistband? What are the benefits to using a concealed holster? I could see for comfort reasons for hours of carrying or style of clothing being worn, but my G23 feels real good tucked onto my hip. I just think adding a holster would add bulk to the area. I was just wondering since I've been shopping around for one.

I've been thinking about the Supertuck Deluxe, but how about some thoughts on the "locking" holsters. Thanks!

(I should mention I would not have one in the chamber if carrying without a holster. Just my preference.)

Wil Ufgood
05-15-2012, 21:04
http://www.lab1663.net/images/not_sure_if_serious_pug.jpg

DirtyPete
05-15-2012, 21:20
Yeah, Mexican carry! Straight in the Tighty Whities. I got a few extra pounds on me, 6'3" 265lb, so it molds right in there. I know it could slip out and it's not very good protection for the gun, but just running to the store or out and about for a short period? Just looking for some thoughts.

Just_plinking
05-15-2012, 21:28
HAHA, No offense to anyone, but I don't see this thread going anywhere good. I'm going to take the bait and proceed anyway.

What's wrong with pocket carrying, without a holster, a da/sa semi auto such as a ppk or bersa style gun with a round in the chamber, decocked and locked?

I'm safety conscious, but it seems legit to me.

Edit: To the op, if serial, most people wouldn't have a glock or any other striker fired gun w/o an external safety anywhere but in their hand or in a properly fitting holster that covers the trigger IFF there is a round in the chamber, much less stuck in their pants. If you are really putting it there, better make damn sure the chamber is clear, but even so it's considered to be a bad practice in general (could fall out/ should carry chambered)

ScottieG59
05-15-2012, 21:33
I expect this is a late April Fool's joke. Of course, we have seen many who stuff guns in their pants. Sometimes the shoot their private parts, hips, legs, feet or abdomen. Sometimes they lose their guns as they move or sit.

A couple months ago, a man shot himself just adjusting his position in the driver's seat. His children witness their dad bleed out and die before their eyes.

One does not get too many chances to be wrong with a loaded gun.

Of course, the Glock, with the standard 5.5 lb trigger is very dangerous without a holster.

I admit, there were times I carried my J frame Smith & Wesson in a pocket when I was just checking around the house. It has a heavy trigger pull. Today, I would, at least, use a pocket holster.

Out there in fly-over country...

DirtyPete
05-15-2012, 21:35
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i387/jddebp/imagesCAD62RRY.jpg

ronin.45
05-15-2012, 21:37
Since condition three is useless and condition one is dangerous without a holster, I'm gonna say no.

Just_plinking
05-15-2012, 21:37
and.... done

slickt0mmy
05-15-2012, 21:53
Since condition three is useless and condition one is dangerous without a holster, I'm gonna say no.

There's your answer. End thread. :wavey:

SCmasterblaster
05-16-2012, 16:38
Does anyone conceal carry without a holster? As in just tucking it into your waistband? What are the benefits to using a concealed holster? I could see for comfort reasons for hours of carrying or style of clothing being worn, but my G23 feels real good tucked onto my hip. I just think adding a holster would add bulk to the area. I was just wondering since I've been shopping around for one.

I've been thinking about the Supertuck Deluxe, but how about some thoughts on the "locking" holsters. Thanks!

(I should mention I would not have one in the chamber if carrying without a holster. Just my preference.)

I carry my G17 at 11 o'clock with it securely tucked behind my waist belt. It works well here in VT.

robhic
05-16-2012, 16:57
Best of both worlds: http://www.remoraholsters.com/

Dolomite
05-16-2012, 17:13
Some people, well, a lot of people I guess, find that holsters make great gun holders.

It sounds crazy, I know...

bulletandgrunt
05-16-2012, 17:31
Come on, no one remebers the thread on Ho Carry?

Rcsteffen
05-17-2012, 03:23
I'd use a MIC at the very least.

HK Dan
05-17-2012, 08:07
IF you're serious...What are the benefits of using a holster? Gee, lemme think...not shooting yourself in the pecker or the femoral artery, not dropping the gun as it worms it's way out, not having controls on the gun mysteriously operated by your clothing, like safeties and mag releases,not having the gun migrate to new locations while you move, but stay in one predictable place (I know, boring).

Are ya stupid?

Dan

truetopath
05-17-2012, 11:17
I don't know about you but I love the thrill of almost putting bullet holes in my pooper, and nearly blowing my junk off, but hey I'm an adrenaline junky :whistling:

Ok, clearly I'm just kidding...find a good holster and you won't even know it's there, not using a holster in my book is just reckless.

DirtyPete
05-17-2012, 12:05
IF you're serious...What are the benefits of using a holster? Gee, lemme think...not shooting yourself in the pecker or the femoral artery, not dropping the gun as it worms it's way out, not having controls on the gun mysteriously operated by your clothing, like safeties and mag releases,not having the gun migrate to new locations while you move, but stay in one predictable place (I know, boring).

Are ya stupid?

Dan

No, Dan, I don't consider myself stupid and I don't think my question was either, but thanks for asking. Anyways....

Thanks for the info everyone. I have a little time to find a cc holster. Waiting for my Delaware cc license. I've had them in other states, but DE is a JOKE.

ZO6Vettever
05-17-2012, 12:10
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i387/jddebp/imagesCAD62RRY.jpg

I can never erase this image Pete. You have ruined my image that a woman packin' heat was hot. :wow:

DirtyPete
05-17-2012, 14:25
I can never erase this image Pete. You have ruined my image that a woman packin' heat was hot. :wow:

Sorry... Just thought I'd have my wife demonstrate what I was talkin about.

Joking!

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 16:30
I only do it with a tuned single action revolver, hammer back and properly positioned appendix carry pointed directly at my junk. :wavey::tongueout:

OP you specified that you would not be carrying with one in the chamber, so okay there is less danger there of an AD/ND in your pants, as long as you are always meticulous about the condition the weapon is in. However, in the freakishly unlikely event that you need to fire the weapon, you will have no place to safely holster the now loaded weapon.

You would be in a position where after the event you would have to drop the mag, clear the weapon, close slide, replace mag, put back in pants, etc. I don't think that's so hot. That's why I also don"t cotton to the idea of the MIC holster and the like, but it's better than nothing, especially if you were to carry chamber loaded.

If you need something thin for IWB I would look at the Blade-Tech Phantom or Nano, the Raven Concealment, Comp-Tac MTAC, FIST or things like that. Styles made from Kydex with loops offset from the holster body are going to be about as thin as you get in most cases. Or the Remora holster. A lot of people seem to like them.

No doubt that carrying without a holster, appendix position is likely one of the fastest draws, but it still probably won't be fast enough for you to draw and chamber during an up close and personal encounter if you should, really, really, really need that firearm - right now, and hope you have both hands free at that moment as well. Just some points to think over, but only carry chambered when you are ready and comfortable with it, and have a holster. :wavey:

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 16:46
Sorry... Just thought I'd have my wife demonstrate what I was talkin about.

Joking!

Umm, say there Pete, does the wife have a sister? If so, you know, put in a word for me man. :whistling:

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 19:27

Hang tight buddy...I'm bringing you the eye bleach...

Okay...here you go...I'll let you see a picture of my wife and her Glocks. (cough, cough) :whistling:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2852/tscc008.jpg

Ida81
05-17-2012, 19:32
Hang tight buddy...I'm bringing you the eye bleach...

Okay...here you go...I'll let you see a picture of my wife and her Glocks. (cough, cough) :whistling:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2852/tscc008.jpg

I will quote this so we can all scroll through it twice :wavey:

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 19:43
I will quote this so we can all scroll through it twice :wavey:

I like the way you think sir. :cool:

DirtyPete
05-18-2012, 10:16
I only do it with a tuned single action revolver, hammer back and properly positioned appendix carry pointed directly at my junk. :wavey::tongueout:

OP you specified that you would not be carrying with one in the chamber, so okay there is less danger there of an AD/ND in your pants, as long as you are always meticulous about the condition the weapon is in. However, in the freakishly unlikely event that you need to fire the weapon, you will have no place to safely holster the now loaded weapon.

You would be in a position where after the event you would have to drop the mag, clear the weapon, close slide, replace mag, put back in pants, etc. I don't think that's so hot. That's why I also don"t cotton to the idea of the MIC holster and the like, but it's better than nothing, especially if you were to carry chamber loaded.

If you need something thin for IWB I would look at the Blade-Tech Phantom or Nano, the Raven Concealment, Comp-Tac MTAC, FIST or things like that. Styles made from Kydex with loops offset from the holster body are going to be about as thin as you get in most cases. Or the Remora holster. A lot of people seem to like them.

No doubt that carrying without a holster, appendix position is likely one of the fastest draws, but it still probably won't be fast enough for you to draw and chamber during an up close and personal encounter if you should, really, really, really need that firearm - right now, and hope you have both hands free at that moment as well. Just some points to think over, but only carry chambered when you are ready and comfortable with it, and have a holster. :wavey:

Very good info! Thanks.

ChuteTheMall
05-18-2012, 10:39
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh284/CTone03/Gun%20Things/AIWB/DSC_0051.jpg

Dale Fricke's Zack is a holster for the triggerguard, tie it to your belt (or inside of purse or bed frame or something). Adds degree of trigger safety for those who think they must Mexican carry instead of using a real holster.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/images/zach2.jpg

Bruce M
05-18-2012, 12:21
Seems to me the potential problems with carrying a handgun without a holster probably outweigh the benefits. If I really wanted to carry a gun without a holster and unchambered I might opt for this https://www.clipdraw.com/