Fake posters can "poison" debate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fake posters can "poison" debate

G17Jake
05-15-2012, 21:17
This can be considered political if you use your imagination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15869683

Fakes ... make inane comments rather than add to a debate, and repeat former comments with minor changes, the study suggests.

I am not a fake.... :rofl:

steveksux
05-15-2012, 21:45
This can be considered political if you use your imagination.

I am not a fake.... :rofl:IF you are who you say you are... :rofl:

Randy

c01
05-15-2012, 21:59
My cover is blown again!!

D

JBnTX
05-16-2012, 06:17
I've suspected this for a long time.
Especially in this forum.

Cavalry Doc
05-16-2012, 06:46
What would constitute a "fake" poster. I'm sure that some people have been known by more than one user name, probably more than one at the same time. But all that would do is make their opinions seem more widely held than they are. Maybe some use them to be able to act more vitriolic than they normally would. Some have seemed hell bent on getting banned, and may be discardable alter egos.
http://images.colourbox.com/thumb_COLOURBOX3171443.jpg

W420Hunter
05-16-2012, 08:08
With this screen name you know I am getting payed to post lmfao.

JFrame
05-16-2012, 08:26
Geez -- we've had at least one poster go through at least four screen names, purporting to be a "moderate centrist" (:rofl:) until such time as his/her cover is irrevocably blown, at which point s/he reappears in a brand spankin' new screen identity.

We've also had the "physics genius" with degrees from Stanford and M.I.T., who couldn't answer a physics problem posed by a real physicist on this forum...And a gun-totin' veterinarian from California with biracial genius children who sped around the country euthanizing farm animals with his .22 pistol while madly texting to this forum as he drove (because that's certainly the only way he would have had time to both "contribute" to this board and service his "customers"...).

Undoubtedly, these posters have reappeared on this forum in other guises also... :upeyes:

sbhaven
05-16-2012, 08:48
It one thing for a poster to post their opinions which may diametrically opposed to the majority of posters to a particular board. Its another if the poster is paid to post a particular opinion to a board or to a product review site.

We've all seen posters here who's guard slipped, or their emotions got the best of them, and their true "centrist" views came out. Having differences of opinions in discussions is a good thing. Some people just like to argue and take the opposing view point. Signing up and faking who you are in an effort to troll gets tiresome. I've wondered at times if some posters here were being paid to post since they routinely posted White House talking points and routinely made comments against conservative people that were factually incorrect. We've seen trolling here, and those on DU have seen it there. DU however appears to be much quicker on the draw to silence dissenting opinions (those opinions that don't toe the progressive party line).

JBnTX
05-16-2012, 09:47
Geez -- we've had at least one poster go through at least four screen names,

How can you tell that?

I've seen things that tell what a poster's IP is, but I don't know how to get one.

I think that two of the biggest Ron Paul supporters on this forum are in fact the same person.

barbedwiresmile
05-16-2012, 10:55
It has been suggested in the past that Chronos and I are the same person. I take this as an absolutely huge compliment.

(Though I apologize to Chronos for the lopsided comparison. His body of work on this forum has been nothing short of spectacular.)

JFrame
05-16-2012, 14:44
How can you tell that?

I've seen things that tell what a poster's IP is, but I don't know how to get one.

I think that two of the biggest Ron Paul supporters on this forum are in fact the same person.

This particular poster openly admitted to one iteration of the screen name changes, and had such a distinctive writing style/personality and consistent persona across the various iterations (their self-proclaimed stance as a "moderate centrist," the U.S. region they purported to be from/live in, the uniform cockamamie leftist "solutions" they offered up in argument, and the fact that the different identities never co-existed but ran in a virtually perfect contiguous chronological chain) made the sole ownership of those screen names pretty indisputable.

Of course, such fake posters -- being leftists -- can't operate on the strength of logical arguments (because they have none), and have to use deceit to try and artificially elevate their playing field.

G-19
05-16-2012, 14:58
I can also name a couple/few screen names that I belive are the same person. "They" always seem to show up at the same time to "defend each other, and to say how right the other one is. I called him on it yesterday in a post that he stated something in one post then slipped and put it in another by the wrong screen name. Then the personal attacks really started, just like RP supporters are prone to do.

It is sort of funny, they want everyone to believe that there are a lot of them on here and that we will follow them if there are many voices saying the same thing.

Their defense was pretty much, that they were from different states. Well I guess if their location (that they fill out) says they are from different states it must be true.:rofl:

G-19
05-16-2012, 15:09
OH and IBTL!

wjv
05-16-2012, 15:26
OK you caught me. . .

I'm really Michelle Obama. . .

DonGlock26
05-16-2012, 18:47
What would constitute a "fake" poster. I'm sure that some people have been known by more than one user name, probably more than one at the same time. But all that would do is make their opinions seem more widely held than they are. Maybe some use them to be able to act more vitriolic than they normally would. Some have seemed hell bent on getting banned, and may be discardable alter egos.
http://images.colourbox.com/thumb_COLOURBOX3171443.jpg

We've pummeled a few over the years, eh Doc?

_

Ruble Noon
05-16-2012, 19:14
It has been suggested in the past that Chronos and I are the same person. I take this as an absolutely huge compliment.

(Though I apologize to Chronos for the lopsided comparison. His body of work on this forum has been nothing short of spectacular.)

Don't sell yourself short my friend. You and Chronos have both made major contributions to this forum.

JFrame
05-16-2012, 19:33
Don't sell yourself short my friend. You and Chronos have both made major contributions to this forum.

...Yup! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

Cavalry Doc
05-16-2012, 19:35
We've pummeled a few over the years, eh Doc?

_

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/335/0/8/ninja_attack_by_wisekidk-d340e8s.gif

Yup.

JFrame
05-16-2012, 19:44
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/335/0/8/ninja_attack_by_wisekidk-d340e8s.gif

Yup.

:rofl::rofl: