Keep it or sell it: Classic collectible vs. cool factor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keep it or sell it: Classic collectible vs. cool factor

jame
05-15-2012, 21:38
I own a S&W M16-4 in .32 H&R Magnum that I bought new in 1993. It's probably 90%, in the box, all original paperwork, etc. It's been my pride and joy for years, but seldom fired. It sits in the box, in the safe. A real beauty with some real value, and as I get older, I realize that my kids will never understand what they've inherited if I keep it 'til I die.

I'm considering selling it to buy an AR type rifle. I'm just starting to think that I might get more pleasure out of a rifle I shoot more often that the .32.

I don't just want to save up to buy another gun. I have enough already, and the safe is already stuffed. And I can sure as hell live without an AR as well. I dunno.

Thoughts?

05-15-2012, 22:12
If it means something to you, keep it - even if it just sits in the safe.

If you are keeping it and intend to pass it to someone who doesn't care one way or the other, sell it and enjoy the money.

Heck if the kids are going to scatter your collection to the wind, sell the collection yourself and enjoy the money. JMO.

Zombie Steve
05-15-2012, 22:29
AR's are a dime a dozen. I'd hold on to the Smiff.

RWBlue
05-15-2012, 22:33
I have a S&W in 32S&W Long. It is not a cool gun. It is not a fun gun. It is not a functional gun. I inherited it so, I can not sell it.

You on the other hand have purchased an uncool, non-fun gun, that is not really good for anything. Sell it.

BTW, I have ARs. They are more fun, but if I had you S&W, I would buy another revolver. For me it would be in 357, 44mag or 460.

hogship
05-15-2012, 22:52
32 magnum is a pretty useless cartridge, and in a K frame revolver, a pretty useless caliber.

If Smith were to design a smaller frame than the J frame and used the 32 magnum.......well, that has potential to be a huge success. That's a pipe dream, though.

I'd sell it, and get that AR you want.

ooc

bac1023
05-16-2012, 04:12
I wouldn't sell a classic for a dime a dozen plastic rifle.

No way

vafish
05-16-2012, 04:51
I wouldn't sell a classic for a dime a dozen plastic rifle.

No way

AR's are a dime a dozen. I'd hold on to the Smiff.

+3,

I wouldn't sell it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bruce M
05-16-2012, 06:03
I'd go with the not sell it side also.

fnfalman
05-16-2012, 07:36
So what if you don't shoot the wheelgun often? It's pride of ownership. If your kids were smart, then they'd know that you will have something special to pass onto them.