Springfield XD45 is tempting me. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD45 is tempting me.

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 06:32
As always I call upon the collective logic of my fellow Forum members before I do any gun deal.
Currently on my mind is a Springfield Armory XD45, standard grip length with 4" bbl. that a local guy has up for trade for a 1911.
I've been doing quite a bit of work to my ATI swapping out lower quality factory parts for higher quality aftermarket ones. I've gotten it pretty close to where I want it to be, just need an extended stainless mag release, stainless hammer and stainless safety and it'd be 99% done.
Now I see this guy wanting to trade his XD45 and I get tempted since I've read that XD's are pretty good guns and I'd have 13+1 rounds of 45acp, almost twice as much as I have now with my ATI.
Since my ATI is my HD gun the more rounds I can have the better because more likely then not in a "bump in the night" situation it'll be grab the gun, grab the flashlight, throw on my pants and go check it out, no time for extra ammo or mags.
Since I've had my ATI for a while I'm use to having a grip safety so that's not as big of a deal for me as it use to be but I still think it'll take some time to get use to having to depress the grip safety in order to rack the slide but that's just a matter of training.
So, what do ya'll think, hang onto the ATI and finish up getting parts for it or see if the guy would be interested in trading for his XD45? Thanks.

pochis
05-16-2012, 06:43
let me suggest shoot your buddys gun first. most xd45 are great guns but i bought one and neither me or my buddy could hit with this and we both shoot alot, if the one your looking at shoots good .....trade:cool:

deputy tom
05-16-2012, 06:45
I can't tell you what to do but weigh the differences before you trade. I'm a 1911 shooter and have been for forty years. The only double stack polymer .45 acp pistol that fits my hands is the XD series. I bought the Compact model. Four inch bbl.,short grip frame and extended mag makes the grip the same as the full size model. It shoots well and I'm happy with it. $500.00 + tax,etc out the door. What do you have invested in your 1911? Go with your gut feelings. Good luck in your endeavor.tom.:cool:

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 07:06
The "local" guy isn't my buddy and he lives in Sparta, about 30 miles away so I doubt I'll get to shoot it before we trade.
I've got close to $600 into the ATI not counting the Fobus paddle holster and double mag pouch, that'd bump it up another $50 bucks so we'd be at $650.
I saw on the Bud's site where the XD45 kits like this guy has are going for $578 then I'd have to add FFL fees so I'd be around $615 out the door for a new one.
I think it might depend on weather or not the guy wants to throw in some cash with his gun. I probably should e-mail him first to see if he's even interested or not then we can haggle on "the deal" from there.

deputy tom
05-16-2012, 07:17
Good planning Frank. tom.

countrygun
05-16-2012, 09:31
I have the XDM .45. If I only had one good 1911 I wouldn't have traded it off the get the XDM, but that isn't taking anything from the XDM, just I'm a 1911 guy at heart. As soon as I get the night sights on the XDM it will become the "nightstand gun". I can't comment on the accuracy of the XD models but the "M" is as accurate as a lot of spendy 1911s I've fired. The XD series covers a lot of bases for the buck but given the numbers you are talking about, give a look around for an "M" series before committting to this deal. See how this $tacks up against an "M" in your area

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 09:35
The XDM is the one with the shorter grip that takes a 10 round mag then you can add the mag extension to the standard mag and have a full cap 13 round mag, right??
Since I don't plan on using this gun as my EDC/CCW(got that covered with my 642) all I need is something for HD and plinking. Also, this gun doesn't have that funky poly rifling does it? I shoot mostly lead(I know, many say it's perfectly fine to shoot lead in a Glock with poly rifling but I'd rather not) so I need standard rifling.
So, any more comments or info on the XD45? The guy has been in touch and we're in the process of me calling him to see what he thinks his gun is worth so I can better estimate what kind of deal we can work out. Thanks for all the help so far.

countrygun
05-16-2012, 09:46
The XDM is the one with the shorter grip that takes a 10 round mag then you can add the mag extension to the standard mag and have a full cap 13 round mag, right??
Since I don't plan on using this gun as my EDC/CCW(got that covered with my 642) all I need is something for HD and plinking. Also, this gun doesn't have that funky poly rifling does it? I shoot mostly lead(I know, many say it's perfectly fine to shoot lead in a Glock with poly rifling but I'd rather not) so I need standard rifling.
So, any more comments or info on the XD45? The guy has been in touch and we're in the process of me calling him to see what he thinks his gun is worth so I can better estimate what kind of deal we can work out. Thanks for all the help so far.

The "M" is a full sized model with an improved trigger and a 4.5" "match" (whatever that really means) Barrel. The XDMc is the compact model.

bklynpete
05-16-2012, 09:47
I love my 1911's, but I replaced them with a XD45C for a carry piece. It also replaced my G36. My nightstand weapon is a XDm45. I haven't done a thing to either trigger, and only installed Tru Glow fiber optic night sights on both. I mounted a Streamlight TL3 light onto the XDm45. One reason I shoot these guns well, is the grip angle is the same as a 1911. I really don't understand why people make a big deal about the grip safety, if you grip any pistol the right way, the grip safety is automatically depressed. I shot competition with my 1911's, shot thousands of rounds thru them, and never had an issue with the grip safety.

Whether I would trade a 1911 for a XD45, that you would have to make the decision on. I personally wouldn't, but my financial status may be different then yours.

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 10:06
Whether I would trade a 1911 for a XD45, that you would have to make the decision on. I personally wouldn't, but my financial status may be different then yours.

Remember, this is an ATI we're talking about. True, I've upgraded quite a few parts but it's still an ATI, if it were a Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Mil-Spec I'd not even think about trading but 13+1 does sound a lot better then 7+1 for those "bump in the night" situations and from all accounts the XD is a pretty decent gun so I don't feel I'd be trading down in any way, shape or form. Just be getting something different that'd still take 45acp.

bklynpete
05-16-2012, 10:10
Remember, this is an ATI we're talking about. True, I've upgraded quite a few parts but it's still an ATI, if it were a Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Mil-Spec I'd not even think about trading but 13+1 does sound a lot better then 7+1 for those "bump in the night" situations and from all accounts the XD is a pretty decent gun so I don't feel I'd be trading down in any way, shape or form. Just be getting something different that'd still take 45acp.

You're preaching to the choir :cool:. My competition gun is a Colt 1991A1, that I bought in 1991. There isn't a stock part in it at this time except the barrel and frame, and I wouldn't trade it for any reason. Good luck.

Pete

Glockwork Orange
05-16-2012, 10:23
Springfield XD45 is tempting me.

I've had two XD 45's (a 4" and 5") and eventually got rid of both...good guns, I just didn't like the overall length of the grip...for them to maintain a slim grip AND high capacity, the grip was lengthened and it was just too long for concealed carry...eventually I'd like to get an XD .45 compact which I think would be ALOT better...

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 10:56
CCW isn't going to be an issue with this gun, strictly HD and plinking. How is the aftermarket for them? I mean, you can get anything and then some for a Glock, what about the XD, anyone making stuff for them or do you just run them pretty much stock? Not that stock is a bad thing but you know me, I like to tinker a bit and improve on stuff where I can.
If I add up everything I've got for my ATI, parts, Fobus paddle holster and double mag pouch, ect. I have about $675 into the gun. I figure that if the XD is in as nice a shape as the seller says it is then it may be worth $525(generous estimate) so they're be $150 difference between the two guns. I'll have to see how much of that he'd be willing or able to make up if we're going to do a deal.
Personally, I don't care one way or the other if we do a deal or not, I'm happy enough with the ATI, just a few more parts and it'll be just where I want it to be but I look at my guns as tools and the XD might be a better tool for HD at this point in time. Just going to keep an open mind and what will be will be.

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 11:48
OK, he's trying to tell me his gun is worth $632 bucks because it has a Hogue rubber grip and an extra mag with it, total of 3 mags. I told him sure, that's a new price for one but what does he think a reasonable USED price would be. I priced my gun with the base price of the used ATI I bought, $425 bucks then added the $250 I've put into it so it's $675, if I'd have went with the price of a new ATI($500 or so) I'd be at $750. Either way I think we'll be about $100 bucks apart, if he can't or won't come up with it then I'll just keep on keepin' on with my ATI and add those few parts I want for it and keep it.
Don't know why folks think their used guns are worth the price of a new one. :dunno:

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 13:36
Funny how when I question the guy about his price the gun "mysteriously" becomes SOLD in his last e-mail to me yet it remains up for sale on the local guns for sale forum,LOL. :whistling:

bac1023
05-16-2012, 15:27
I like the entire XD line.

deputy tom
05-16-2012, 15:38
Funny how when I question the guy about his price the gun "mysteriously" becomes SOLD in his last e-mail to me yet it remains up for sale on the local guns for sale forum,LOL. :whistling:

Forget him. If you want to trade in your 1911 do so but get exactly what YOU want. The XD45 Compact that I have is not an M series. It takes 10 round mags and the extended mags bring it uo to 13 rounds and the same size as a Service model.These are cheaper priced than the M series but don't have "match grade" bbls. or replacement back straps. Neither of which I need nor want. YMMV.tom.:cool:

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 17:40
I don't plan on shooting any Matches in the near future so I really don't think I need a Match Grade barrel.
I took my ATI out back and put 15 rounds through it. Ran like a Swiss watch, hit where I aimed it, kind of glad we didn't make a deal. I'm just going to get my extended mag release, new hammer and strut/pin and safety and call it a day. This gun shoots better then I can and once I get the other parts converted over to higher quality ones in stainless it'll look really nice too and should shoot as well as I could ask for. Plus mags for my 1911 are about $10 bucks cheaper then for the XD.
Don't think I'll lose any sleep over not working a deal with him. :supergrin:

deputy tom
05-16-2012, 18:21
Things have a way of working out. Take care my friend.tom.:cool:

glock2740
05-16-2012, 19:26
I LOVE my 4" XD45! It'd take alot more than an ATI, no matter what had been done to it, to trade for my XD45. I say trade for the XD. You won't go wrong.

TN.Frank
05-16-2012, 19:38
I LOVE my 4" XD45! It'd take alot more than an ATI, no matter what had been done to it, to trade for my XD45. I say trade for the XD. You won't go wrong.

I might have done it but not in a straight across deal. I've got too much into this gun to go straight across. I might do my ATI(not the Fobus paddle holster or double mag pouch though, I can swap them for ones for the XD) for the XD45 and $50 bucks but at that I'd still be losing a few bucks.

TSAX
05-17-2012, 01:50
They are fantastic, (once broken in :supergrin:) I have an XD45compact that shots like a dream and dare a Glock first guy say I like it better than the G30 but I do. However, some of these need a good 250 to 500 round break in, it took me about 250 and it was running great (not all these guns need it or that many rounds to break in) . I also got a SA carry trigger job. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a solid 45. The other great thing is that it comes with the extended mag that is the same size as a full size XD45 so if I wanted I could use the short mag 10+1 for carry and the extended mag 13+1 for back up/range/etc.

:50cal:

TN.Frank
05-17-2012, 20:16
Guy has the XD listed again. I e-mailed him last night and told him I still saw it up for sale, he told me he just hadn't gotten around to taking it off of the LGS forum. Well, it's back. I just e-mailed him and told him the deal of his gun and $100 cash for my ATI with upgrades was still on the table if he was interested. Here's the gun he has plus he picked up an extra mag for it.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/31144/Springfield+45ACP+4%22+Black+Package
As you can see it's about $500 bucks, mags go for $28-$30 so we'll call it $530 bucks for everything new. My ATI goes for anywhere from $480-$500 depending on were you buy it and I've got $200 in upgrades, for the sake of argument let's say it's $680 so that's a $150 difference. I think asking for $100 boot with his gun is more then fair.
Like I said before, I'd not mind having 13+1 for those "bump in the night" situations but I'm dang sure not going to give my gun away and I can live with 7+1 if I have to. Guess the ball's in his court now. Let's see if he has to common courtesy to get back to me.

Camu Mahubah
05-17-2012, 21:38
What are you gonna trade the XD for?

TN.Frank
05-17-2012, 21:42

Probably a Glock then I'll get tired of it and swap it off for a ???:supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
05-17-2012, 21:45

:rofl:

TN.Frank
05-17-2012, 21:55
Hey, what can I say, I'm fickle when it comes to guns. Can't make up my mind so I trade a lot. I don't know why I'm that way(well, not having funds to buy every little thing I want might be one reason but still) but you do have to admit, I've owned just about everything you can think of and know how to field strip and run most guns on the market.

glock2740
05-17-2012, 22:06
I might have done it but not in a straight across deal. I've got too much into this gun to go straight across. I might do my ATI(not the Fobus paddle holster or double mag pouch though, I can swap them for ones for the XD) for the XD45 and $50 bucks but at that I'd still be losing a few bucks.
When you trade or sell, more often than not, you "lose" a few bucks.

FLglockdude
05-17-2012, 23:37
He wants too much for that gun. Pass on it and wait for a better deal.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 00:31
When you trade or sell, more often than not, you "lose" a few bucks.

:agree:, sometimes but fewer you can make out a little better. I chalk up a lose as paying to renting/testing the gun for that time period.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 00:48
Since were on the XD's I'll drop some insider info. Off the top of my head I can remember the dealer cost for an XD40 Essentials package was 314.99 and places would sell this gun anywhere from 399 online to 499 in gun shops. I have always encouraged people rent/test fire before you buy when possible.

In this case, when I was managing a gun range/store we sold one for $450 and after tax and CA DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) it came out to about $525, we had one in the rental case for him to try but he didnt. The guy didnt like the gun after a couple of boxes and then wanted to sell it back. Lets just say he was surprised when we didnt offer him the same price he paid :brickwall:

He went to other shops in the area and was offered even less than I offered him. I offered him $300 because there was no way the owner of my range/shop would have allowed more since we pay $314.99 for new. I told him that most places wouldn't be as nice, the 4 shops he drove to didnt offer him more than $250. I felt bad for him and helped keep an eye out for anyone that want that gun. After a few weeks I helped him sell it and he pocketed $375 back. Then later he bought after he test fired the Sig P229.

He will never buy a gun without renting first if its an option.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 00:51
I like the entire XD line.

Even the GAP and V10 models :supergrin:

TN.Frank
05-18-2012, 01:10
From what I've read the XD45 is suppose to have copied the grip angle from the 1911, if that's true then I know I'll like it. I'm a pretty adaptable guy when it comes to firearms.
I don't know, I just sometimes get a "gut feeling" that I need to trade something that I have for something else, not sure why it happens. I can be perfectly happy with what I've got and all of a sudden it'll kind of hit me to trade. No real logic or reason behind it, like I said, just a gut feeling.
He did get back to me and said he had $60 he could throw in with the gun. I told him I'd trade him the upgraded ATI with one mag and all the factory parts for the XD and $50. That way I can sell the 3 CheckMate mags for $50 and be at the $100 that I wanted in the first place. Who knows, by tomorrow afternoon he might find an extra $40 to add to the $60 he has and we'll do the original deal I offered him.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 01:34
I figure that if the XD is in as nice a shape as the seller says it is then it may be worth $525(generous estimate).

If this is a used with 2 mags then it is not worth $525 unless night sights are on there. This gun is worth $475 tops if in really good condition, a new one shipped can be had around $499 plus whatever FFL fees you have to deal with. Also what does the seller consider good shape, I have seen this vary from person to person even in the industry.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 01:39
Each extra used mag after the initial 2 should be counted as $18 each, you can get brand new for about $24

Nestor
05-18-2012, 10:52

For just another, the best in the World platform I believe.

TN.Frank
05-18-2012, 17:57
Well, looks like I may be getting an XD45, 4" with 3 mags and the "Package". I'll also get $75 cash and I'll trade my Fobus stuff for equal stuff for the XD. Fate/God/The Universe works things out the way they're suppose to be I guess. I'll post pics and make a new thread when I get it home.

TSAX
05-18-2012, 18:47
Hope you enjoy the gun :wavey:

Aceman
05-18-2012, 20:11
Traged a junk Hungarian for an XD45 on a whim. Still have it, no regrets. Fantastic gun period.

Honestly, more accurate than my USP 9mm. It's a keeper. Likely the only .45 I'll ever have now.

TN.Frank
05-18-2012, 20:33
It'll be nice to have a gun from my "Mother Land", LOL. Hope it runs as good as the ATI is, seems like Springfield has a winner with the XD so it should be good. I'll post a review tomorrow after I put a few rounds through it.

Camu Mahubah
05-18-2012, 21:59
It'll be nice to have a gun from my "Mother Land", LOL. Hope it runs as good as the ATI is, seems like Springfield has a winner with the XD so it should be good. I'll post a review tomorrow after I put a few rounds through it.

Your "Mother Land" is Croatia?

fxstchewy
05-19-2012, 05:17
I have one that i bought used a couple of years ago, came with Factory NS, has never had a problem always goes bang.
I paid $425 for it.

TN.Frank
05-19-2012, 05:35
Your "Mother Land" is Croatia?

Grandpa Malenovsky came over from Croatia(or Bohemia, or Yugoslavia, depending on which account you want to believe) in 1916 when he was just a boy. Of course on my birth Father's side(Freels) we go back to 1753 here in the U.S. He came over from Co. Donegal, Ulster,Ireland. I'm just an Irish Slav,(that's SLAV, not SLOB,LOL) by birth.