Blessed are the Peacemakers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blessed are the Peacemakers

Colubrid
05-16-2012, 23:26
"Blessed are the Peacemakers"

For they shall be called sons of God. Matt 5:9

This is one of the beattitudes that I think is difficult to understand. At first blush it would appear rather simple. People who bring peace are blessed, and are "sons of God." But what does peace mean? Peace between nations? Peace between people? Peace between man and God? And of course, "sons of God" is laden with meaning especially when spoken by THE Son of God, Jesus. So, it is obvious to look to Jesus and his relationship with peace to understand our relationship with peace and what Jesus means when he talks about Peacemakers.

I think you can, right off the bat, throw out ideas of world peace. Jesus had virtually no interest in nations or the relationship between nations. He was not a diplomat, and not out to "end war and bring peace." He repeatedly stated that his Kingdom is not of this world. He did not come to redeem the nationhood of Israel or kick out the Romans.

I believe Matthew 10 rules out the idea that he came to bring peace between people. Although I think xtianity does work to heal relationships with the power of love and forgiveness, there is little evidence to suggest that Jesus came to bring peace between feuding fathers and sons, or mothers and daughters. Instead he states, " “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household."

So what kind of peace does he mean when he states blessed are the peacemakers? I believe it is the third kind I mentioned above, peace between men and God. Again in Matthew 10, where Jesus mentions peace a bunch of time, he sends the disciples out to spread his message. When it is accepted he commands them to let their peace rest upon that house. So, when the disciples spread the Gospel message, they spread peace wherever it is accepted. This is what a peacemaker is.

When we are peacemakers, we are a reflection of the role filled by Jesus. Jesus as the Son of God reconciled God and men. When we spread the message we continue that mission and hence are "sons of God." We are also sons of God and "heirs to the Kingdom" when we live by that same spirit of Christ. Hence we also live in the Kingdom and when we live in the Kingdom (and I believe the whole sermon on the Mount is describing life in Jesus' Kingdom) we also have peace. Ironically, when Jesus' Kingdom is fully in force, we will have all the other kinds of peace as well.

So, blessed are the peacemakers.

void *
05-17-2012, 10:54
I can get behind the title of this thread, metaphorically.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VyWdYIWACXY/TZAAqpK9yBI/AAAAAAAAALk/vMfq5LJmpC4/s1600/Colt%2B.45%2BPeacemaker%2B-%2BWest%2BPoint.jpg

Colubrid
05-17-2012, 13:24
I can get behind the title of this thread, metaphorically.

This also speaks to the difference between "Peace-Makers and Peace-KEEPERS".

A peacemaker will go through the process of working with, confronting and dealing with peoples/societies brokeness.

A PEACE KEEPER will just do what is needed to make everyone happy without having to really address anything and cause too much of a fuss.

I know many peace keepers and very few peace makers.

Jesus got right into the thick of it and put his hands in the dough. It gets messy and it's tough. But it's a process and not a product.

Brucev
05-17-2012, 13:50
Briefly, your point is well taken. That being said, there is a role and place for the more traditional understanding of peace making between hostile groups, etc. For instance, the truth and reconciliation process in South Africa have been very helpful. The same is true of similar efforts in Rwanda.

Colubrid
05-17-2012, 14:05
Briefly, your point is well taken. That being said, there is a role and place for the more traditional understanding of peace making between hostile groups, etc. For instance, the truth and reconciliation process in South Africa have been very helpful. The same is true of similar efforts in Rwanda.

The idea that peace means compromise (kind of a similar thought) to a lot of people, but that's not what it meant to Jesus.

Colubrid
05-17-2012, 14:07
The kingdom of heaven is here and now, as well as not yet. We are to be peacemakers in our communities, in our neighborhoods, and in our world. But this will cause us to be hated as well. Jesus preached loving of enemies, of working out your issues with each other, or practicing forgiveness. These are all real world right now realities.

Therefore, to be a peacemaker, is not only to reconcile ourselves and others to peace with God, but to begin to live out the calling to be at peace with all of mankind.

void *
05-17-2012, 14:09
Nevermind, I wasn't grokking the point of his response (since it had nothing to do with my earlier post, which was basically just a play on words).

But yeah, sometimes making peace requires breaking peace, temporarily.

Vic Hays
05-17-2012, 14:10
Peace starts within. Then it can work outward.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

II Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you.

Brucev
05-17-2012, 16:34
The idea that peace means compromise (kind of a similar thought) to a lot of people, but that's not what it meant to Jesus.

Peace is not simply escatalogical, etc. In Scripture peace is also social, personal. This is true in the O.T. where the prophetic injunction is to "seek peace and pursue it." This is true in the N.T. Jesus spoke plainly and directly to the matter in terms of our obligation to seek to be reconciled to a brother who was offended at us. It was not a marginal concern to Jesus that believers practice the things that make for peace.

Peace is not winning, beating someone else. Peace is the resolution of conflict. If compromise accomplishes that making of peace, so be it. Compromise to accomplish peace making is to be commended. To suppose that means a violation of doctrine is misguided. A good example is found in Acts 15. There legitimate differences existed between committed believers. In dialogue the believers were able to arrive at a compromise that enhanced the forward advance of the gospel rather than embroiling the believers in a senseless dispute that would have hindered the advance of the gospel.

Snapper2
05-17-2012, 18:47
This also speaks to the difference between "Peace-Makers and Peace-KEEPERS".

A peacemaker will go through the process of working with, confronting and dealing with peoples/societies brokeness.

A PEACE KEEPER will just do what is needed to make everyone happy without having to really address anything and cause too much of a fuss.

I know many peace keepers and very few peace makers.

Jesus got right into the thick of it and put his hands in the dough. It gets messy and it's tough. But it's a process and not a product.
Good point. It seems as the times have changed we have become more like peace keepers which causes people to lower their morals in order to keep the peace. Its better to keep the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself than to love your neighbor as your morals will allow.

Colubrid
05-17-2012, 19:15
Peace is not simply escatalogical, etc. In Scripture peace is also social, personal. This is true in the O.T. where the prophetic injunction is to "seek peace and pursue it." This is true in the N.T. Jesus spoke plainly and directly to the matter in terms of our obligation to seek to be reconciled to a brother who was offended at us. It was not a marginal concern to Jesus that believers practice the things that make for peace.

Peace is not winning, beating someone else. Peace is the resolution of conflict. If compromise accomplishes that making of peace, so be it. Compromise to accomplish peace making is to be commended. To suppose that means a violation of doctrine is misguided. A good example is found in Acts 15. There legitimate differences existed between committed believers. In dialogue the believers were able to arrive at a compromise that enhanced the forward advance of the gospel rather than embroiling the believers in a senseless dispute that would have hindered the advance of the gospel.

There are layers to everything, I don't think they are secret, or magical, but what that means continues to expand as you practice it. Try to be peaceful towards other people, then you realize its hard. Hmm why so hard? You begin to work towards being more peaceful in yourself. ect not secret, just a progression that is deep, and part of a journey of action and reflection.

Colubrid
05-17-2012, 19:17
This link is to a collection of quotations from a bunch of early Christians on the subject of peacemaking in case anybody is interested in what they had to say on the subject.

http://www.incommunion.org/2004/10/14/quotations/

Vic Hays
05-17-2012, 20:36
There are layers to everything, I don't think they are secret, or magical, but what that means continues to expand as you practice it. Try to be peaceful towards other people, then you realize its hard. Hmm why so hard? You begin to work towards being more peaceful in yourself. ect not secret, just a progression that is deep, and part of a journey of action and reflection.

Peace is one of the fruits of the Spirit. If we have a faith that cannot be shaken it is easy to have peace. People often retaliate when they are not sure of where they stand.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, jealousies, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Contentions, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ’ have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.