Do I need a lecture on cleaning my 1911 because I have... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a lecture on cleaning my 1911 because I have...

Camu Mahubah
05-17-2012, 01:12
fired 200 reloads through the Metro without cleaning. I'm so spoiled by Glock. I clean my G23 about every 500 rounds whether it needs it or not. My 1911 I was field stripping and cleaning after as little as firing one mag. I'm on this kick because I'm really busy and don't feel like cleaning it yet. I do rub the exterior or outside of the gun down with a clean patch soaked in Ballistol and then a clean dry patch and then silicon cloth every time I handle it. And I have been lubing the gun according to the Wilson Combat youtube vid everytime I shoot it

I will clean it in it the morning...more to stop the voices in my head than anythang...

How long is too long? The 1911 is a combat pistol right? It can go just as long as the Glock without a super cleaning cain't it? Well maybe not...but I ain't babying this Metro and it's running just fine...

I keep expecting this gun to fail and it has been just reliable as the 2008 manufacture G23 that I bought in 2011. Maybe even more reliable because even with mouseloads I don't get brass to the head...

mrsurfboard
05-17-2012, 04:20
I clean my 1911 after each range outing that usually consists of 100 to 200 rounds.

jb1911
05-17-2012, 05:10
I clean all my guns after one range trip.

bac1023
05-17-2012, 05:52

I do as well, regardless of which pistol it is.

glock2740
05-17-2012, 05:55
I try to, but sometimes...:embarassed:

bac1023
05-17-2012, 06:51
I try to, but sometimes...:embarassed:

Some of the rimfires I may not.

FLIPPER 348
05-17-2012, 07:17
[QUOTE=Camu Mahubah;18976815
How long is too long? The 1911 is a combat pistol right? It can go just as long as the Glock without a super cleaning cain't it? .[/QUOTE]

A spec 1911A1 can go just as long as a Glock without 'cleaning'

samuse
05-17-2012, 07:42
OMG! You shot 200 rounds all at the same time?

You must be crazy or in a militia or something! Are you planning to kill somebody??

Three-Five-Seven
05-17-2012, 10:35
Order of Priorities:

1. Shoot in competition
2. Practice shooting
3. Load ammunition for practice
4. Load ammunition for competition, clean, inspect, chamber check
5. Work on guns, improvements, repairs, ferry to gunsmith(s)
6. Clean guns -- maybe, if time permits. Ultra-low on the priority list

For example, my main, match 1911 has been through two practice sessions and two matches since last cleaning. I might clean it before the next match, but probably will just squirt some oil on it. I definitely won't clean it before practicing with it again. It is getting pretty dirty, but my days aren't getting any longer, and there are some big matches coming up.

And, so it goes.

B.Reid
05-17-2012, 15:24
Your 1911 will go hundreds of rounds without cleaning, if it seems to be slowing down ad oil.

El_Ron1
05-17-2012, 18:35
Toys can sit awhile, tools get cleaned and lubricated properly.

Sgt_Gold
05-17-2012, 20:37
What's the intended use for the pistol? Anything I carry gets cleaned every time it's fired. My target pistols and toys get cleaned when I get around to it. I've put around 1k through a very tightly built target 1911 with no issues what so ever. It was filthy when I got around to cleaning it, but it never malfunctioned.

SauerChoi
05-17-2012, 20:47
Toys can sit awhile, tools get cleaned and lubricated properly.
This. If it was a range toy, who cares. but if you carry the gun, glock or 1911, it should be cleaned and inspected after every trip for unusual wear or broken parts.

PlasticGuy
05-17-2012, 21:11
I fired 500 rounds through my Les Baer Premier II the first day I owned it, with no malfunctions. I fired 1500 rounds in 4 days of training with my Kimber Custom Stainless, and only cleaned it once in the middle. No malfunctions again. If I'm training and I have other priorities, I may let my 1911's go for quite a while. I have only ever had one 1911 stop running because it needed cleaning. It was an older Kimber Custom, and had seen several hundred rounds of lead reloads by the previous owner with no cleaning or lube. It looked like the inside of a chimney, and just couldn't keep running. I cleaned it up, and it runs like a sewing machine now.

They always get a good scrubbing before ccw or home defense duty though. It's nice knowing they can perform when filthy, but I will always trust a clean gun with my life if I have a choice.

faawrenchbndr
05-17-2012, 21:50
Clean it the easy way.......

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/CleaningtheSpringfield.jpg

Ford302Glock21
05-17-2012, 21:57
Both 1911s I have had for the most part were 100% reliable. Only failure I've had was a factory springfield mag follower jumping the slide lock after the last round and jamming the mag in tight. Use premium mags for anything outside of range plinking.

I suggest keeping the moving parts all lubed up. A non stainless model can surface rust easily and cause problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SuHu
05-17-2012, 21:58
Back when I had time to shoot a lot, my 1911's would have to wait for 500-1000 rounds before being fully cleaned.

janice6
05-17-2012, 22:03
I only clean each of my guns after they have been shot to ensure that there is a minimal chance of misfire due to contamination.

This chance may be small, but it is still there, and I want to maximize my chances of survival in the event I need to use the weapon.

Otherwise, don't clean it, your choice.

G26S239
05-17-2012, 22:12
My 1911 I was field stripping and cleaning after as little as firing one mag. One mag? :upeyes: You must have learned that from the knuckle heads that think Gaston designed the first reliable auto pistol.

fnfalman
05-18-2012, 04:57
I'm a lazy mofo when it comes to cleaning guns. I'd clean them when they start to jam or when carbon started to ooze past the frame grooves.

All of my Colts thus far have had at least three or four hundred rounds through them without cleaning. I'll worry when they start to malfunction.

B.Reid
05-18-2012, 11:13
I usually let my new guns get real dirty before I clean them, a little friction helps to break them in. Kinda like the old trick of loading up the action of a gun with toothpaste, smooths things out real fast, just don't leave it in there.

faawrenchbndr
05-18-2012, 12:19
I clean my pistols following each range trip......AR, now that's a different story.

ca survivor
05-18-2012, 12:28
Clean it the easy way.......

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/CleaningtheSpringfield.jpg
:rofl:

Zombie Steve
05-18-2012, 15:09
OMG! You shot 200 rounds all at the same time?

You must be crazy or in a militia or something! Are you planning to kill somebody??

Am I the only one who thought this was funny?

:dunno::supergrin:

Jason D
05-18-2012, 17:09
fired 200 reloads through the Metro without cleaning. I'm so spoiled by Glock. I clean my G23 about every 500 rounds whether it needs it or not. My 1911 I was field stripping and cleaning after as little as firing one mag. I'm on this kick because I'm really busy and don't feel like cleaning it yet. I do rub the exterior or outside of the gun down with a clean patch soaked in Ballistol and then a clean dry patch and then silicon cloth every time I handle it. And I have been lubing the gun according to the Wilson Combat youtube vid everytime I shoot it

I will clean it in it the morning...more to stop the voices in my head than anythang...

How long is too long? The 1911 is a combat pistol right? It can go just as long as the Glock without a super cleaning cain't it? Well maybe not...but I ain't babying this Metro and it's running just fine...

I keep expecting this gun to fail and it has been just reliable as the 2008 manufacture G23 that I bought in 2011. Maybe even more reliable because even with mouseloads I don't get brass to the head...

A USGI milspec gun could keep right on plugging along without regular cleaning. A modern gun with it's closer tolerances need to be cleaned and lubed more often.

The looseness of an M1911 made it reliable.

I clean them after every range session.
If only because I could never put a gun away dirty.

Camu Mahubah
05-18-2012, 22:32
One mag? :upeyes: You must have learned that from the knuckle heads that think Gaston designed the first reliable auto pistol.

I was a bit OCD about cleaning it at first...mainly because it's not Tenifer. It's blued and I grew up in Florida where a fingerprint will turn to rust in 24 hours if you don't wipe it off...

I do always wipe the gun down with Ballistol whether I field strip it or not...

And I use a silicon cloth to wipe it down after I handle it now without firing it.

COLDSTEEL165
05-21-2012, 04:43
I hope that every new 1911 gun owner,When they buy their new guns. first thing to do is field strip it & give it a good cleaning of the stuff that is put on in the factory that the gun is shipped with. then I start the breaking in of the rounds through it. Just asking? Believe it or not I saw on some other forums that a lot of guy's did not know or do this to their new 1911's

fnfalman
05-21-2012, 10:14
I hope that every new 1911 gun owner,When they buy their new guns. first thing to do is field strip it & give it a good cleaning of the stuff that is put on in the factory that the gun is shipped with. then I start the breaking in of the rounds through it. Just asking? Believe it or not I saw on some other forums that a lot of guy's did not know or do this to their new 1911's

I take mine from the box to the range.

The protective oil isn't cosmoline. Just some lightweight protectant of some sort.

cuba
05-21-2012, 10:22

The protective oil isn't cosmoline. Just some lightweight protectant of some sort.

What, just like seasoning a cast iron pan?

Travclem
05-21-2012, 11:16
I haven't taken my Springfield apart in 6-700 rounds and carry it daily.

fnfalman
05-21-2012, 11:31
What, just like seasoning a cast iron pan?

Looks like some sort of lightweight machine oil.

If the guns get gummed up by these oil and can't be shot, then something is seriously wrong. It isn't like the cosmoline grease that guns were packed with back in the days.

scottz0369
05-25-2012, 06:08
I'm conditioned after my years in the Marines to "inspection clean" my guns within a week of firing. I do "functional cleaning" right after I shoot anything -- punch the bore, wipe down anywhere that carbon accumulates and lube, etc. Personally, I've found it useful in that it helps me to get to know my guns and identify potential problems before they become an issue.

matt_lowry123
05-25-2012, 06:27

I'm with you!!! I go from gun store to range.

MD357
05-25-2012, 07:51
My 1911s get cleaned around 500 rounds. I wait longer when I'm "breaking in" a new carry gun. Usually 1K.

brisk21
05-25-2012, 09:38
1911s usually don't need to be cleaned to run reliable. They just need to be properly lubricated. Since I have been shooting mine alot, I only clean it after several trips to the range. I'll easily put 1000 rounds through it before I clean it.

rahrah12
05-25-2012, 10:25
I clean mine after the range...unless I have something that I need to do immediately. It will be the first thing I do when I get free time.

I enjoy it but I typically only take 1 or 2 guns at a time when I go to the range.

CAcop
05-25-2012, 10:37
I don't clean my guns like I used to. A quick wipedown and relube is pretty much all I do. Maybe every few hundred rounds I will clean it.

Kimura
05-25-2012, 11:51

Sounds fine. I clean my guns every 500 or so rounds. I've never had a problem doing this and the only time I would change that is if I felt the gun was getting sluggish. Do keep the gun lubed though. metal guns need more lube than polymer ones. I also like to grease the rails when I clean the gun. This is something I learned from shooting Sig pistols and honestly do it to all of my pistols now. Enjoy.

Veedubklown
05-25-2012, 21:53
You clean all your pistols reguardless of what gun you take out? Jesus man, you must clean guns all day, or shoot once a year! :rofl::tongueout:

I don't clean my guns like I used to. A quick wipedown and relube is pretty much all I do. Maybe every few hundred rounds I will clean it.

Same here. My carry guns get looked at a little harder for grime, but none of them are 100% carbon free.

Brucev
05-26-2012, 07:13

Use common sense in firing and cleaning any pistol and you will not have problems. As to your 1911, clean it and shoot it. It will do just fine. Once just to see what would happen I ran a little over 1,000 rounds of WWB and Tula .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ's through a SA Mil-Spec. 1911 pistol. It never did anything but just keep working perfectly. I currently have a RIA 1911 and a SA-GI 1911-A1. I've been simply shooting them and cleaning them, the same routine as when I was shooting a G-22RTF. As one would expect they both have worked perfectly.

FLIPPER 348
05-26-2012, 07:53
I ran over 3000 rounds of the old Wolf poly through a NIB S&W 1911Sc before the pistol failed. Due to the pistol, poor fitting of a low quality trigger, not the ammo.

Nakanokalronin
05-26-2012, 08:16

I do as well. Every other trip gets a detail clean. Most would be surprised how much gunk can accumulate in a firing pin/striker channel in a short time. It also allows visual inspection of parts for wear, burrs or any other issues that may arise.

I fit a low ride thumb safety on one of my Dad's friends Colt once and asked him when he last detail cleaned it. He told me he never detail cleaned it once in the 20 years he owned it. I told him I'd gladly do it for him and when I took out the FP, the spring looked like a solid block of debris, oil and soot. I then took off the MSH and fire control group and it was littered with shavings and even more gunk.

unsigned
05-26-2012, 11:43
Order of Priorities:

1. Shoot in competition
2. Practice shooting
3. Load ammunition for practice
4. Load ammunition for competition, clean, inspect, chamber check
5. Work on guns, improvements, repairs, ferry to gunsmith(s)
6. Clean guns -- maybe, if time permits. Ultra-low on the priority list

And, so it goes.

This. In fact, my 1911's shoot a little better *after* 1-200 rounds. When the gun starts running slow, then it gets cleaned. I reload and choose clean burning powder too though. For those shooting WWB and the like, cleaning sooner than 2000 rounds is likely.

G26AZ
05-26-2012, 18:29
When you guys say that you lube but don't clean - how do you do that? Do you just put some oil on the rails while the slide's retracted or what?

jedi573
05-26-2012, 21:15
Yup. Barrel hood, muzzle where the bushing rides, top of the disconnector, base of the hammer, and then tilt the gun over and get the rear parts of the rails and the disconnector slot. Easy peasy.

Andy