What motivates your purchases/collecting/acquisitions/disposition? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What motivates your purchases/collecting/acquisitions/disposition?

JTR
05-17-2012, 02:12
Just curious what "motivates" everybody to buy and sell the guns and gear that they do? Collecting? Zombie invasion preparation? Capricious interests?

Have been going through a different pieces realizing I've got stuff that hasn't been shot in some time and just sits there and there are things I want to have and be shooting that I donít have.

For instance, there is an old Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag sitting in the very back of the safe that has not been touched in several years as well as a bunch-o-different AR parts for several different builds that I seem to have lost interest in. Love ARs and all, just not feeling the love.

vafish
05-17-2012, 05:15
My motivations change daily.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

eracer
05-17-2012, 05:38
Seafood. Except for me it's Seeguns.

Tvov
05-17-2012, 05:41
Capricious interests for me.

My most recent Christmas gift was a flintlock! Very cool to shoot.

Be very careful before selling any guns, though. Pretty much everyone I know regrets it later when they sell guns.

HKLovingIT
05-17-2012, 06:00
I have a few that are for carry. Some rifles for hunting.

The rest are just for recreation. I mostly buy things that take my fancy at the time. There is a some stuff in the safe that was potentially for carry, but didn't work out for whatever reason. I don't have any kind of rental range near here, so if a buddy doesn't own something, you have to buy to try. :crying:

Also, I know some people are going to go bonkers over this, but I have two teenage sons and sometimes yep I buy things that they have seen in their vid game they ask about. :rofl: For example, we bought a Makarov. It was in some game or another and they thought it was cool. I got one. It is cool. :dunno:

JTR
05-17-2012, 06:37
So true Tvov, have bought and sold and sold and bought over the years. There are a few that I really miss, but many I don't. Most mossed (comes to mind first) is an iai (or AMT) 30 Carbine Automag III (think goofy kinda 1911 looking pistol in 30 Carbine) about the most fun handgun I've ever had. Many others though I don't really miss; hard to tell as it just takes time.

I kinda started with "caliber consolidation" as I was (unintentionally) running out of 40 S&W guns. Down to just one and figured I'd just move away from them all (now I can't bring myself to get rid of that last one - go figure).

Seems that I have so many "irons in the fire" projects aren't getting completed and I'm losing interest. Have other "more important" projects that should be taking precedence. My conundrum: have some guns that never get shot and several projects that just sit; the above mentioned No. 1 then two projects in particular a PSL kit and receiver to be built up as an SBR and a kinda retro AR project, a clone of an Air Force GUU-5/P (M4 barrel with old A1 parts). All not that "useful" in my book, will take a good amount of cash to complete and things I'm questioning the "wisdom" of these days. Now, our local annual MG shoot is coming up this weekend (visit Saddle Butte Machine Gun Shoot on Facebook) and I'll get to shoot a friends SBRed PSL again, so it might be "game-on" for that little beast again. Who knows.

JBnTX
05-17-2012, 07:04
For me it's an obsession with no end in sight.
I've never seen a gun that I didn't want, or had to have.

I tell myself every gun I buy is the last one, but there's always one more that I must have to make my collection complete.

ronin.45
05-17-2012, 07:32
I'm mostly a competition shooter so many of my guns fill that role. I also collect certain guns so I'm always looking for those. I also just love to shoot so I have fun toys too.

I guess I have many reasons.

deputy tom
05-17-2012, 07:40
I like to shoot and own diferent guns and enjoy the variety. After I've had my fun it's off to the next one. Some I keep and most get traded away. If there was a rental range nearby I'd be a rich individual.tom.:embarassed:

Bruce M
05-17-2012, 07:55
Be very careful before selling any guns, though. Pretty much everyone I know regrets it later when they sell guns.

This is probably the most important single rule.

I have bought a few guns over the years for no other reason than I thought they were unique, to me. Like a 9mm Security Six revolver. Others because they are somewhat of a standard, like a (pre)Model 27 with the three and half inch barrel. Some others just because I wanted them.

bac1023
05-17-2012, 08:04
Right now, I'm focusing on the classics and will be throughout 2012.

hoghunter82
05-17-2012, 08:31
Boredom motivates me. I get bored with what I have and want something else.

eracer
05-17-2012, 08:38
I'm the rare person who doesn't regret selling any of the guns I've sold over the years. I'm not smart enough to be a collector, and can't predict the future.

So even though the Uzi Model A I sold is worth more today than when I sold it, so too is the gun I bought using the funds from the sale. And it's a better weapon than the Uzi.

Are there guns I wish I had back? Sure. But I don't regret selling any of them.

dnuggett
05-17-2012, 09:15
I have sold a Keltec P11, a Ruger P95, HK USP .45, Para P14-45, Sig 226 W German, and a Beretta 92FS. I don't miss any of them for two reasons. I didn't need to part with them, I wanted to. And I didn't like each one of them for specific reason. The 226 and the 92 are fantastic guns. I sold one of each because those specific guns weren't keepers to me.

carbuncle
05-17-2012, 09:26
I like guns, handguns mostly. Not being a smartass, that's the best answer I have: no unifying theme, I just like shooting and collecting firearms.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

ChicagoZman
05-17-2012, 09:26
Guns for instruction.

I still need a quality single action revolver and a good rimfire pistol.

Dan Glock
05-17-2012, 10:46
Just keeping up with Hickok45! :cool:

agrech
05-17-2012, 12:04
... For instance, there is an old Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag sitting in the very back of the safe that has not been touched in several years as well as a bunch-o-different AR parts for several different builds that I seem to have lost interest in...

It's so the survivers have parts to upgrade with... "My new shotty sucks. Oh look ghost sights!!" it's our inner need to help our fellow man, even in death. =)

countrygun
05-17-2012, 12:17
I generally restrict it now to "classic firearms" To get my attention a gun, generally but not exclusively, has to have classic features, like a trigger for instance.:cool:

seriously I have about overfilled the "need" cabinet and now it is a matter of filling the "neat" cabinet. There are a couple left on my "bucket list" and there are the occasional "deals to good to pass up on something I don't really need" purchases (Like my last S&W 29) but it is really what catches my fancy at this point.

TN.Frank
05-17-2012, 12:19
I wish I knew. I'll get something, spend money on it fixing it up just like I want it and be perfectly happy with it then see something else I want(mostly on a whim) and trade off what I've got to get something else. :upeyes:

Berto
05-17-2012, 12:48
Variety is the spice of life. So are lots of guns.

bac1023
05-17-2012, 13:41

:agree:

ctfireman
05-17-2012, 15:14
I just like doing the paperwork.

FTjoe
05-17-2012, 16:07
if something interests me or has a good price on it (used), i'll buy it to try it. i will either keep it or eventually hand it down/over to family if its not my style.

i have a similar "problem" with cars. buying and trading them in. life is too short to drive boring cars. i guess something similar can be said about guns.

Cole125
05-17-2012, 17:47
I have a pistol for carry and a shotgun for home defense, thats all I "need". The rest I own for recreation and, well, because I can. :cool:

TSAX
05-17-2012, 18:38

:agree:

:50cal:

bwvan
05-17-2012, 18:44
I suppose it comes down to the fact that, since I'm prone to waste all of my money on something, I choose to waste it on something that will retain at least a decent portion of its value. I don't part with guns easily.

01coltcolt
05-17-2012, 19:53
Guns are better investments than my mutal funds for the past few years!

Cambo
05-17-2012, 20:02
1. It must be practical for self defense
2. I must really enjoy shooting it
3. It must always be reliable/durable
4. It must be reasonably economical to shoot

ithaca_deerslayer
05-17-2012, 20:22
Too funny :)

ithaca_deerslayer
05-17-2012, 20:35
I like guns. Hunting, appreciation of military history, self-defense, target shooting, and the beauty of them as mechanical marvels and works of art.

I tend not to sell, except that I had to sell a couple good ones for college, many years ago. I've replaced their functionality, but not the specific models.

I think I might be at the point now of wanting to collect for beauty. At 36 guns, I've got a lot of the functionality covered, except that I still need a really good bulls eye .22lr pistol.

Maybe I'll keep buying for specific uses, but I no longer feel I need an excuse. But it's not like I can spend a ton of money on guns. Maybe one good one a year would be a comfortable pace :)

Reb 56
05-17-2012, 22:14
I buy Pistols that seem to be good for ccw, light, reliable in effective calibers. Never have yet to buy a handgun just for the Range. In Rifles I like accurate guns that I can use for the Range or hunting. Shotguns are for HD only quess I'm too practical to just buy a gun I've no specific use for.

JTR
05-20-2012, 14:17
I'm tending towards more "practicality" and less "eclectic" pieces. A few niche guns and niche projects I'm thinking about culling as it seems the interest just isn't there as it seems it used to be. Then again, some of them are pretty cool pieces to go out and bang away with; maybe its that I don't get out much to shoot or maybe its that the ideas come and go through my mind faster than my wallet can keep up.

Wyoming
05-20-2012, 16:15
I buy guns for hunting.
I also buy guns for self defense.
I also buy guns for investments.
I also buy guns for sport, such as sporting clays.
I also buy guns for their historical factor.
I also buy guns for fun.
I also buy guns to piss off liberals.

Oh, sorry that comes under fun.

Walk Soft
05-20-2012, 16:33
I've sold a couple that were unreliable.I've sold two I regret.I won't sale any more though.I go from new car parts to guns to car audio(SQ) etc...
I'm past the point to where that when I buy something non gun related,I don't think what gun I could have bought with that money.
However I'm really wanting a FNS-9,which means a few cases of 9mm too.
The FNS-9 will be my last one though.

NEOH212
05-20-2012, 16:47
What influences my purchases are guns that are fast into action, simple and effective. I like tactical style shooting and love going to as many tactical style classes as time and money will afford me.

I'm not nor have I ever been in the military nor am I a swat operator, and I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert. But what I've found that works best for me are guns that are equipped with only what I need. Usually this means keeping things simple and pretty boring. Not guns that are loaded down with the latest tacti-cool gear and gimmicks.

I like something in a good powerful caliber that I can get into action rapidly and obtain rapid, accurate hits on the target with, while keeping the whole platform as light and compact as possible. Firearms that fit that description are what I usually purchase with a few exceptions.

I don't usually sell to many guns as I frequently shoot everything I have. Furthermore, I don't buy guns to just have them sit in the safe.

Ingermanland
05-20-2012, 22:38
Just curious what "motivates" everybody to buy and sell the guns and gear that they do? Collecting? Zombie invasion preparation? Capricious interests?

Testosterone.
If I had low level of it I'd buy shoes, jewelry or makeup instead of guns.

NEOH212
05-20-2012, 22:47
Testosterone.
If I had low level of it I'd buy shoes, jewelry or makeup instead of guns.

Well, I have a low level of it. I work on big diesel trucks, buy guns, chop wood, and even hunt sometimes.

I don't wear make up, I don't do jewelry, and believe it or not, I only own one pair of shoes and a pair of work boots! Hell, I don't even own a purse.

My point being, Testosterone has nothing to do with owning guns there sir. Estrogen for that matter, isn't necessarily a force that binds people into purchasing shoes, jewelry or make up.

However, guns do have a way of making some men feel, "Bigger" than they really are, you know to, "Make up" for something. I'm not implying anything of course. :whistling:

(Stereotypes :upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:)

I do believe I made my point. (Rant over.)

unit1069
05-20-2012, 23:00
Just curious what "motivates" everybody to buy and sell the guns and gear that they do?

All our actions are done in the search for greater happiness.

unit1069
05-20-2012, 23:02
What influences my purchases are guns that are fast into action, simple and effective. I like tactical style shooting and love going to as many tactical style classes as time and money will afford me.

I'm not nor have I ever been in the military nor am I a swat operator, and I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert. But what I've found that works best for me are guns that are equipped with only what I need. Usually this means keeping things simple and pretty boring. Not guns that are loaded down with the latest tacti-cool gear and gimmicks.

I like something in a good powerful caliber that I can get into action rapidly and obtain rapid, accurate hits on the target with, while keeping the whole platform as light and compact as possible. Firearms that fit that description are what I usually purchase with a few exceptions.

I don't usually sell to many guns as I frequently shoot everything I have. Furthermore, I don't buy guns to just have them sit in the safe.

I like the way you think!

NEOH212
05-20-2012, 23:15
I like the way you think!

Thank you. I just like things that work like I want/expect them to.

:wavey:

Ingermanland
05-20-2012, 23:34
Well, I have a low level of it. I work on big diesel trucks, buy guns, chop wood, and even hunt sometimes.
I don't wear make up, I don't do jewelry, and believe it or not, I only own one pair of shoes and a pair of work boots! Hell, I don't even own a purse.
This is impressive, seriously, but please don't tell me you are typical. :cool:

guns have a way of making some men feel, "Bigger" than they really are, you know to, "Make up" for something. I'm not implying anything of course. :whistling:
Maybe, maybe... :supergrin:
But I think guns have a way of making some men feel younger than they really are, just big kids with serious toys playing in a sandbox with other kids and sharing scary stories about zombies/SHTF etc.

Please, don't take it seriously. I am kidding and this topic is not a scientific article. :)

countrygun
05-20-2012, 23:43
However, guns do have a way of making some men feel, "Bigger" than they really are, you know to, "Make up" for something. I'm not implying anything of course. :whistling:

(Stereotypes :upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:)

I do believe I made my point. (Rant over.)

Uhm, so it's OK to mention that my wife bought this without consulting me?

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/CountryG/100_0045.jpg

NEOH212
05-21-2012, 02:46

:thumbsup:

NEOH212
05-21-2012, 02:55
This is impressive, seriously, but please don't tell me you are typical. :cool:

Maybe, maybe... :supergrin:
But I think guns have a way of making some men feel younger than they really are, just big kids with serious toys playing in a sandbox with other kids and sharing scary stories about zombies/SHTF etc.

Please, don't take it seriously. I am kidding and this topic is not a scientific article. :)

Your correct. I'm certainly not a typical female. I wish more people would not allow themselves to fall into the cultural stereotypes but instead be who they really are and do what they like to do. I get so sick and tired of people that think that shooting is just for the guys. (I'm just venting frustration but not directly at you so don't worry, it's cool!):supergrin:

There are a lot more women that like guns, shoot guns, and don't get into all sorts of, "Girly" things than you may think. Trust me, I know this. :supergrin:

I agree that there are things (like guns) that can make people feel younger. For some it's sports cars, for others it's guns. I however don't view guns as toys as much as I view them as tools. (That's just me though.) I guess I could consider them a toy (as much as it pains me to say that) since I really enjoy shooting.

Don't worry, I did get your original point as you meant for it to be portrayed by the way.

:wavey:

NEOH212
05-21-2012, 02:56

Is it a optical illusion or is the barrel on that gun bent downward?

:dunno:

SigFTW
05-21-2012, 07:39
Motivation buy: I like guns and I am blessed to be able to buy what I want. I shoot everything I buy.
Motivation to sell: I don't anymore. If times get tough then I might rethink that statement.:whistling:

countrygun
05-21-2012, 16:27
Is it a optical illusion or is the barrel on that gun bent downward?

:dunno:

It was cold the day I took the picture.

My barrel is straight.