Maglite flashlights (and your opinions) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Maglite flashlights (and your opinions)

Deputydave
05-17-2012, 11:17
For the purposes of survival, like most of us, I like to be as redundant as possible in certain key areas. For example, I like to have multiple ways of making fire (lighter, waterproof matches, fire steel, magnesium bar, cotton balls with vasaline etc). To me, lights are another area. I like to have multiple ways to have light. As a result, I have about 5 head lamps, a bunch of inexpensive LED lights of different sizes and of course Maglites.

I have multiple Maglites in the AAA, AA, C and D variety. In fact, I have a 4C Maglite that belonged to my grandfather. He had this flashlight when I was a little boy so it is well over 40 years old and it is still going strong! I don't even know if he bought it new or if it was from a garage sale so it is WELL over 40 years old. Yes, it has a little wear and tear on the outside, but it still works.

I particularly like the AA mini Maglites. I think they are inexpensive and well made. I just bought two more off Ebay for $5.50 each (S&H included) that were brand new in the package with working batteries. I thought that was a good deal! All my Maglites have the normal incandescent bulbs. I don't have an LED version (which is why I was asking about DIY conversions in my other thread).

For those of you that may have the LED version, what are your thoughts? I know you can purchase the drop-in LED bulbs for the AA, C and D lites or you can by an LED Maglite straight from Maglite. Any opinions as to whether one is better than the other?

I like the incandescent bulbs. I think they are pretty bright and long lasting for their design. I think they're pretty cheap to replace as well (just bought a couple of extra AA bulbs at Lowes for a $1.57 just to have them on hand in addition to what is in the endcap). With that said though, I'd like to hear some thoughts on the LED versions of the Maglites. Is it worth the price of a drop-in? Is it worth the price to buy a dedicated LED Maglite. Better off sticking with the original since bulbs are so cheap? What is your experience?

Also, on the C and D Maglites; as far as regular incandescent bulbs go, is there a difference amoung replacements? I see Xenon and also Krypton bulbs available. What is the difference? What does a Maglite come with 'off the shelf'? Is it worth getting one of these other bulbs?

Thanks for the help :wavey:

cyrsequipment
05-17-2012, 11:56
I never really liked the Maglites, maybe because my first PD made me carry one instead of the "cool" light I bought on my own, but who knows.

They are tough as $#%^ and they certainly serve their purpose. Their brightness is considerably less than other lights I have used, but they are cheap and as you said bulbs can be replaced cheaply. They are very common so getting other parts is rather easy.

They are not my cup of tea, but they certainly have their strong points. The LED conversaions are not the best solution, in my opinion, but they do solve the bulb issue.

MadMonkey
05-17-2012, 12:20
Not a fan. In my experience the incandescent ones have been unreliable and pretty dim (any of them).

Redheadhunter21
05-17-2012, 12:24
Don't waste money on conversion bulbs for maglites, buy the led models from maglite for the price the led maglites are definantely worth it, other lights are brighter but for 3 times the price they better be. Led lights are brighter but also cause more glare, so remember that.

I always have cheap spares hidden all over the place, and in the truck I have a 3D led maglite, surprises a lot of people on how bright it is

auto-5
05-17-2012, 13:17
Princeton Tec makes some great lights. I have 2 on my scubba rig and 2 in my bob so I am kind of a fan.

There Impact XL lights are freaking great. (http://princetontec.com/?q=impact-xl)

mac66
05-17-2012, 14:17
The first "police" flashlight was the Kel-Lite. The Maglite came out in 1979 and improved the design. So Maglites are not yet 40 years old. Kel-lite evolved into the Streamlight.

Personally I like Maglites. My 80's era rechargable Mag-Lite saved my bacon more than once. I also think the Mini-Mag is one of the coolest things ever made and is certainly the first small tactical light ever invented. I often said that all one really needs to survive is a Mini-Maglite and a Swiss Army Knife.

But yeah there are better lights out there than Maglites and I have many better ones. However I still keep Maglites around the house and Mini-Mags in all my tool kits. I have converted many of my Mini-Mags to LEDs using the Nite Ize LEDs. They were cheap and last longer in the Mini's than the fragile incandescent bulb that comes with it. Not sure what other conversions are out there as my Nite Ize ones have lasted a couple decades.

Bolster
05-17-2012, 14:33
I was a fan...in the 1980s. Time moved on an Maglite pretty much didn't. They're now playing catch-up, but are far behind the new technology of High CRI, super-efficient emitters in compact lightweight bodies.

To me, a classic case of a company that rested on its laurels.

I have a half dozen vintage Mags around, most of them upgraded with new emitters, but they are all relegated to secondary status.

My go-to lights these days are Quark High CRIs, Zebralights, and Sparks, all of which have neutral-warm emitters.

Take the Quark 2AA. 280 lumens on high, or .3 lumens for 15 days. A MiniMag incan just can't compete on either end; its bulb is considerably more fragile, will burn out shortly, and throws a beam full of artifacts. The only advantage of the MiniMag is the incan spectrum, which is remarkably well reproduced by today's modern High CRI emitters.

wjv
05-17-2012, 16:42
Have a couple in a drawer that I never use since they suck batteries like a pig. . .

Warp
05-17-2012, 18:07
I like MagLEDs...as giveaways. People think they are good. Let them think so. I'll keep the good stuff for us.

I do keep a 4D MagLED in my vehicle. But it is secondary to a Thrunite TN11.

I prefer lights by Thrunite, 4Sevens, Fenix, Zebralight, etc etc.

garyo
05-17-2012, 18:11
I love my Maglite's and have many. A couple of years ago I got the Maglite LEDs and replaced all the incandescents, they work very well. Brighter, whiter, and much better battery life. My oldest Maglite is 32 years old and still going strong. I have many lights and Mags are just as good as Surefire, Fenix, etc. My largest 5D sits by my bed with skateboard tape in a ring around the shaft just below the lamp assembly, and will do more damage than a baseball bat.

quake
05-17-2012, 18:27
I was a fan...in the 1980s. Time moved on an Maglite pretty much didn't. They're now playing catch-up, but are far behind the new technology of High CRI, super-efficient emitters in compact lightweight bodies.

To me, a classic case of a company that rested on its laurels...

Have to agree with this. I have some old 3D-cell maglites still around & even still get used some, but they'd absolutely never get used if they still had the incandescent bulbs. With the genuine Mag-LED conversion bulbs they're respectable, and still as tank-tough as they've always been. Nothing "wrong" with them; even bought a 2D-cell LED one four or five years ago for a an older family member who I knew would resist any 'newfangled' type of flashlight. But for me personally, as Bolster says it's been a long time since I've really been a fan.

The little AA maglites, I used to be a fan, but it's been even longer in their case. Never found an LED conversion that did what it imo should, and gave up on those even before I did the D-cell ones.

Nowadays I like fenix, itp, coast, streamlight and surefire; but there are plenty of other good ones out there, likely even better ones out there.

For all the information & discussion you could ever want on flashlights, you might try www.candlepowerforums.com. Just be advised that those guys over there are worse flashaholics than we are glockaholics over here. Going there for info on flashlights is like going to a firehose to get a drink; just stay focused and hang on tight...

bigrob911
05-17-2012, 18:44
I have many maglites around the house. They might not be the brightest but in my experince they are built like a tank.

bdcochran
05-17-2012, 20:43
Bolster is spot on. Kell-lite then Maglight then Surefire. At one time or another, each has had its proverbial place in the sun. They don't offer a technological or price/performance advantage anymore. When I go to Costco and 3 200 lumen flashlights with AA batteries included sell for under $20, there is no comparison.

As my maglights corrode over time, they are not replaced. At one time I had probably a dozen between home and the cars. They would work in a pinch. However, they are now second or third line.

callihan_44
05-17-2012, 20:55
zebra head lamp- fenix-nitecore is what I have now(all AA versions), had a few mags laying around no longer in use.

Snaps
05-17-2012, 21:19
I like them, have a couple in the house, one in the truck, one in the bag.

I don't care for the tiny lil lights, and maglights have worked just fine for me for a number of years now. Plus now days they're not expensive compared to the 'good' lights

KS Trekker
05-17-2012, 21:24

That's pretty much where I'm at. I have one in the truck for emergencies, but it's not nearly as bright, compact, or reliable as my Surefire.

CitizenOfDreams
05-17-2012, 21:37
Maglite is the Harley Davidson of flashlights. Famous brand, large fan base, obsolete technology, unimpressive performance.

Warp
05-18-2012, 00:44
Have to agree with this. I have some old 3D-cell maglites still around & even still get used some, but they'd absolutely never get used if they still had the incandescent bulbs. With the genuine Mag-LED conversion bulbs they're respectable, and still as tank-tough as they've always been. Nothing "wrong" with them; even bought a 2D-cell LED one four or five years ago for a an older family member who I knew would resist any 'newfangled' type of flashlight. But for me personally, as Bolster says it's been a long time since I've really been a fan.

The little AA maglites, I used to be a fan, but it's been even longer in their case. Never found an LED conversion that did what it imo should, and gave up on those even before I did the D-cell ones.

Nowadays I like fenix, itp, coast, streamlight and surefire; but there are plenty of other good ones out there, likely even better ones out there.

For all the information & discussion you could ever want on flashlights, you might try www.candlepowerforums.com. Just be advised that those guys over there are worse flashaholics than we are glockaholics over here. Going there for info on flashlights is like going to a firehose to get a drink; just stay focused and hang on tight...

+1 on CPF.

I rarely visit, because ever time I do I find 2-3 new lights I just HAVE to have...so now I only visit when I have already decided to spend money on at least one.

But hey, thanks to them I have guilt free lumens. :supergrin:

Bravo 1
05-18-2012, 05:43
Maglite is the Harley Davidson of flashlights. Famous brand, large fan base, obsolete technology, unimpressive performance.

:rofl: true enough,,,

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-18-2012, 06:30

:rofl: true enough,,,

While true in some respects, one thing to take into account is many people, like me, have several already, all of mine bought +30 years ago. When they WERE the best you could buy. They worked fine then, they work fine now. And I already own them. Mine have been to 4 continents and 2 wars, rode around in tanks for weeks/months at a time, still work perfectly.

Sure enough, they won't start a fire with their beam, and if you are still using an incandescent bulb the color, brightness and battery life doesn't match a modern CREE light. But for a LOT of uses, they are just fine. And with an $8 CREE drop in, they are not bad beam/light wise.. still large, but that is not always a bad thing. And "D" size batteries can be bought anywhere.

My surefire has the "tactical" bezel, and while I am sure it would hurt to get whacked with it, but, up against just about any physical threat, the 3D Maglight is going to be the winner. It's a PROVEN club.. lol.

I don't need to be able to signal the international space station, just to walk the dogs after dark.

At this point they are far from being the only lights in the house, although they are the only "D" driven ones, but they still work fine.

sebecman
05-18-2012, 08:18
While true in some respects, one thing to take into account is many people, like me, have several already, all of mine bought +30 years ago. When they WERE the best you could buy. They worked fine then, they work fine now. And I already own them. Mine have been to 4 continents and 2 wars, rode around in tanks for weeks/months at a time, still work perfectly.

Sure enough, they won't start a fire with their beam, and if you are still using an incandescent bulb the color, brightness and battery life doesn't match a modern CREE light. But for a LOT of uses, they are just fine. And with an $8 CREE drop in, they are not bad beam/light wise.. still large, but that is not always a bad thing. And "D" size batteries can be bought anywhere.

My surefire has the "tactical" bezel, and while I am sure it would hurt to get whacked with it, but, up against just about any physical threat, the 3D Maglight is going to be the winner. It's a PROVEN club.. lol.

I don't need to be able to signal the international space station, just to walk the dogs after dark.

At this point they are far from being the only lights in the house, although they are the only "D" driven ones, but they still work fine.

Good post. You summed up perfectly what I was thinking as I was reading down this thread.

Deputydave
05-18-2012, 09:32
I appreciate the opinions everyone.

:wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
05-18-2012, 09:40
In terms of the AA lights, I personally think maglights are outdated and simple suck. Today you can get a rugged AA or AAA flashlight that will be brighter, water resistant, last significant longer and have multiple lighting options in a smaller package.

What I do like about the Maglight is the blunt weapon option of the D cell flashlights. I keep one under the seat of each of my vehicles. While not the best lighting option, nothing will cool down a hothead or a creep post accident like having a D cell mag light in your hand when you step out of your car.

Deputydave
05-18-2012, 10:24
For 'tactical' use, I use a Streamlight Stinger LED on-duty. I have no idea how many lumens it has but it is very powerful.

But..well, I just don't know. I'm sure that there are all sorts of powerful, excellent flashlights out there in LED form. I have a few, though I don't think they're a name brand. Got a package of 10 or 12 at Lowes of various sizes including a couple of headlights. They all have worked fine for camping. Heck, Harbor Freight tools as a package of 2 for $3 bucks that I picked up. Would they be 'Delta Force World Survival' approved? Probably not. Would they work pretty well around the house if the grid went down? Probably do just fine. And I'm sure some of the upper end ones fetch a good price?

But I'm also chea...er, frugal :supergrin:

I just got 2 mini maglites on Ebay for $5.50 each, no S&H. Brand new with batteries. Yes, they have the incan bulbs. But those seem to be pretty bright for the intended uses of this size flashlight. And now I see a guy that has them for under $5 bucks buy 3 get one free, brand new. That's a pretty good deal I think.

I don't know, I'm torn I guess. Get a perfectly good flashlight that would likely last for decades for $5 bucks or spend maybe 4-5 times that amount for an LED version? I know the batteries are suppose to last longer? But again, HF has packs of 24 AA for about $3 or I wait for the name brands to go on sale or buy one get one free. And incan bulbs are cheap to replace.

I did try a 3LED conversion on the mini maglite a few years ago. The one with the push button tail cap. Tail cap felt cheesy and I really wasn't impressed with the amount of light the 3 LED's threw off. Maybe it was suppose to be like that?

I see on Ebay this 'nit ize' LED for the mini maglite for $6. Is it worth it? It says you can still focus with it, batteries last 5 times longer and has 30 lumens. Since the incan has 14 lumens I'm assuming this means it is twice as bright? Would it be worth the $6 to upgrade? Is this a good replacement?

Thanks for bearing with all the questions. I suppose I'm just 'thinking out loud' here. I appreciate all the opinions.

Snaps
05-18-2012, 10:44
and at the risk of being the only one... I have a serious issue with the idea of a flashlight costing a hundred bucks or more.

rhikdavis
05-18-2012, 10:55
I have a 2d mag with the led which is plenty bright for me....and batteries last forever and a day....The only thing I didnt like about the mini mags is the twist on/twist off operation...rather have an end cap switch.

Bolster
05-18-2012, 11:16
Heck, Harbor Freight tools as a package of 2 for $3 bucks that I picked up. ... Get a perfectly good flashlight that would likely last for decades for $5 bucks or spend maybe 4-5 times that amount for an LED version? I know the batteries are suppose to last longer?

I see on Ebay this 'nit ize' LED for the mini maglite for $6. Is it worth it? ...

I suppose it comes down to the relative value you place on brightness, tint, cost, reliability, and batteries.

Your old MagLite Incans are still (moderately) superior for tint (being incans) and somewhat less expensive, although you can get a new bright LED Sipik for $9 and a neutral/warm white Romisen for $20, so the "upgrade a MagLite" path makes no economical sense. (And I really dislike the NiteIze upgrade for artifacts and tint. And one of my NiteIze upgrades blew out immediately, requiring a replacement. Good CS, but still.)

On the other hand, the difference in battery use is not trivial...it's huge. You'll run many many more batteries through your MagLites than an LED. And the low cost HF batteries you're talking about will give you HEADACHES with leaked cells. Chances they'll ruin whatever you put them in.

Even name brand Alkalines have a high probability of leaking...just lost a nice new flashlight last week to a leaked Energizer, that had been in the light less than TWO WEEKS. And it was a single cell flashlight, so there were not alternate discharge issues to blame it on. And I know better, I should never have trusted an Alkaline, so the fault is entirely mine.

I'd pay more for fewer, quality batteries. Lithiums or LSD NiMHs. And I'd buy a light that required fewer cells, because I don't want to have to carry a load of batteries around with me.

Seems to me you've already decided to go the inexpensive MagLite route, so stock your cells high and deep, and check them frequently for blown-out Alkalines.

Get yourself one decent LED to play with. I'd go with a Zebralight. Specifically I'd recommend to just about anyone, the H501w headlamp, or possibly the brand new H502 headlamp, although it's not yet tried-and-tested. Then over time you can see what you reach for, and modify accordingly.

The wide angle headlight would be a nice complement to your throwy MagLites, and the combination of spot/flood is righteous.

You may find, as I did, that once you own an H501w, that your use for other lights goes way down. Which is actually pretty darned economical.

Bolster
05-18-2012, 11:32
Prediction: I think D cells will become increasingly difficult to find within 10 years. Due to the efficiencies of modern electronics; fewer and fewer new items are specified with Ds.

I may be totally wrong; perhaps the installed base is huge and D cells will be around for a long time to come. I hope so. But I've a hunch the AA is the cell of the future.

Also Ds are prone to competition from LiIon, such as 18650s, which are both smaller and much more powerful.

Let's dig this post up in a decade and see.

CitizenOfDreams
05-18-2012, 13:24
Prediction: I think D cells will become increasingly difficult to find within 10 years. Due to the efficiencies of modern electronics; fewer and fewer new items are specified with Ds.

You probably don't have to be a prophet to predict that. D-cells will eventually go the way of 45V tube radio batteries and 300V photo flash batteries (how many people even know about those today?).

I can't recall too many devices that used D-cells even in their heyday. Flashlights, of course. Boomboxes. Large wall clocks. Wireless chimes. That's about it.

Deputydave
05-18-2012, 16:27
and at the risk of being the only one... I have a serious issue with the idea of a flashlight costing a hundred bucks or more.

Trust me, you're not the only one. Harbor Freight tools just had a 3.5 inch/9 LED flashlight that normally sells for $7 on sale for $1 including the 3 AAA batteries. So I went down an bought 5 of them. I took the batteries out of the ones I'm not using and will just use them as needed. They were plenty bright and for a buck I figured it was a good deal. This, with the AA mini maglites that I've got as well as the D and C cells should last me for quite a while.

Bolster
05-18-2012, 16:40
I don't have $100 flashlights but I do have some $60 ones, and wow, they've got me shaving my sheckles for more.

I go on the principle that you spend the most money on the stuff you use the most, and that helps you make money. So I buy expensive eyeglasses and flashlights and pocketknives because these get loads of use.

Whereas my sleeping bags and camp stoves and cameras are merely adequate, not being central to my lifestyle.

If flashlights are not central to your needs, then by all means, go cheap. Have you checked out the fauxtons? They're fiddy cents each, and I keep them pinned to the outside of backpacks.

The Hawk
05-18-2012, 17:47
I started carrying a MagLite in 1988 when I was issued a 4 D cell model. I bought myself a 3 D cell LED MagLite last year. It is amazing how much brighter the LED model is. :wow: It also has a run time that blows the old model (as well as the 2 D cell LED model) away. For the $$ I like my new light. Yeah, I have some 2 AA flashlights that are very bright too. Something about the heft of a 3 D cell light though.

John Galt
05-18-2012, 19:06
I'm not a big fan of Maglites, but the one I do own (3-D cell) is fitted with one of these.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropin-lamp-assembly-for-maglite-c-1_25.html

Malkoff Devices Flashlight comparisons - YouTube

For $39 I dont think you can get a better upgrade.

G19freak
05-18-2012, 21:50
AA Minimag icans---suck

Have a couple Gen 1 LED Mag D cells that are so-so and hang out in the garage and car somewhere.

Last Christmas time (5-6 months ago)---Lowe's was selling the latest generation LED Mag D cells for $15---so I picked up a couple--I must say I've been impressed with these, esp considering the low price---full on aluminium body with rubber covered clickie---135 lumens(IIRC) and stupid long run time from the 3 cell version. They would be my go-to light if they weren't so big--but they are nice to have around the house and for camping and get used quite a bit.

I've EDC-ed a Surefire E1L for 5 or 6 years now---it was $100 back then and still looks and works great-----to replace it now with a new Surefire would be $140 and I don't think I would do it again at that price even though they've upgraded it a bit since I bought mine.

Deputydave
05-19-2012, 07:34
I really like the mini maglite incan to be honest. For grins I went out to the backyard last night with several flashlights. From the porch I suppose the back fence is around 50-60 feet or so. The mini maglite incans when focused hit the back fence nice a bright and would have gone a bit farther. It is only 14 lumens per the info on the package, but it was bright enough to reach out and light up stuff a fair distance away. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a search light, but for a little 2xAA flashlight that cost just a tad over $5, I think it was a good purchase.

I understand that there are better, stronger beamed flashlights in that size. But here is what I think of; I could buy one really strong LED flashlight like the Stinger or something similar for $60 - $100 bucks (or more). And that is probably fine and worth every penny. But if it breaks or gets lost then what? For a fraction of the price I have a half dozen mini maglites (most came with batteries) and about a dozen LED flashlights of different sizes and five different head lights (all of which came with batteries). This way I've got multiple redundancy in lighting, several in each GHB or my BOB, several for around the house and my EDC. And the ones I'm not using I just took out the batteries and have them as spares for if/when they're needed.

Not saying an expensive flashlight is the way to go, just looking at it from the perspective of I'd like to have more overall flashlights that will pretty much get whatever job done for less money.

The $1 9-LED's that I bought from HF yesterday (I got five) don't reach out and touch you at a long distance, but in the house or vehicle they are super bright.

Bolster
05-19-2012, 08:46
It is only 14 lumens ...cost just a tad over $5, I think it was a good purchase.

Glad you like your 2xAA MiniMags, always great to find a light that pleases the owner.

If you are adventuresome, get yourself a Sipik SK68 which will give you 120 lumens for $9 (less on eBay) on a single AA (I've seen reports of 160 lumens using a 14500), see if you like it. The beam is focusable, but single level: bright. It likely won't burn out in your lifetime.

If you like good lights at cheap prices, here's your forum:
http://budgetlightforum.com/

Deputydave
05-19-2012, 10:39
Glad you like your 2xAA MiniMags, always great to find a light that pleases the owner.

If you are adventuresome, get yourself a Sipik SK68 which will give you 120 lumens for $9 (less on eBay) on a single AA (I've seen reports of 160 lumens using a 14500), see if you like it. The beam is focusable, but single level: bright. It likely won't burn out in your lifetime.

If you like good lights at cheap prices, here's your forum:
http://budgetlightforum.com/

Thank you for the tip on that Sipik. I took a look on ebay as well as the BLF link. Very interesting. Kinda a butt ugly light, but hard to argue against it's performance. BLF gave it like 41/2 or 5 stars overall. Saw a picture of someone spotlighting their shed at 43 meters. Pretty impressive.

That's what I like, inexpensive but good performance. Thank you again.
:wavey:

Deputydave
05-19-2012, 11:17
If you are adventuresome, get yourself a Sipik SK68 which will give you 120 lumens for $9 (less on eBay)...

Well, I just ordered one off of ebay for $9.99 (free S&H). I hope it was worth the extra 99 cents :supergrin:

MadMonkey
05-19-2012, 11:28
I understand that there are better, stronger beamed flashlights in that size. But here is what I think of; I could buy one really strong LED flashlight like the Stinger or something similar for $60 - $100 bucks (or more). And that is probably fine and worth every penny. But if it breaks or gets lost then what? For a fraction of the price I have a half dozen mini maglites (most came with batteries) and about a dozen LED flashlights of different sizes and five different head lights (all of which came with batteries). This way I've got multiple redundancy in lighting, several in each GHB or my BOB, several for around the house and my EDC. And the ones I'm not using I just took out the batteries and have them as spares for if/when they're needed.

That's all well and good, but for me I prefer to spend a teensy bit more for my "everyday" lights (I prefer Streamlight Polytacs for budget use, $35-$40) from a brand that hasn't let me down. I've had multiple Maglights and used a lot of them, and just about every one of them has had issues at one point or another. Granted, that was when I was working security and most of the Mags were beat half to death, but still...

Whatever floats your boat. I'm a fan of cheap $2 LED lights, I'll admit... throw them on my keychains and such in case of emergencies. Over here I'm usually carrying at least 4 light sources at a time.

Bolster
05-19-2012, 13:43
Kinda a butt ugly light...

Truly! It's an eyesore to look at. Easily the ugliest flashlight I own.

FYI it is often one of the top recommendations for the "cheapest, best" light available, if you ask around at the CPF forums. That's how I found it. I needed some "throwaway" cost lights for cheap GHBs so started researching. Bought two, and for the price expected one to work. Both work fine! Both have respectable white tint (a big deal to me, I hates me some purple and green tints).

But they are not things of beauty. And I'd pay more if it would give me multiple levels of brightness but...for $9 you get what you get. At least it has a fun "zoom" feature.

FireForged
05-19-2012, 14:09
I dont have any particular grip about them its just that nowadays there are just alot better (smaller, lighter) lights for the money..

voomie
05-19-2012, 15:39
I have a maglite LED and I love it. The thing is so bright, I can use it as a spotlight. When the batteries die it doubles as a club. There was a reason why some of hells angels carried them.

SDDL-UP
05-20-2012, 00:33
I have a Mag-Lite XL50 and it is a great little light! Over 100 lumens on high, 15 on low, with incredible battery life. This is NOT your father's Mag-Lite! It's certainly not perfect, but a great value and a great performer.

thesurefire
05-20-2012, 03:12
Maglites are outdated tech. There are a variety of better options at the same price point, and for slightly more you can get a fenix thats much higher quality.

I own a variety of flashlights from 99 cent garbage to 600+ dollar customs. I think the best price point right now is around the 30 dollar mark, something like this:

http://countycomm.com/aaworldssmallest.html

is ideal. Good price, quality and features.

Fenix is also very competitive in the value aspect, I absolutely love my E21:

Amazon.com: Fenix E21 Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ywUCvLnsL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ywUCvLnsL

Aceman
05-20-2012, 06:17
I like the Maglite. It is what it is. Not the brightest, not the lightet, etc...but it is a solid (very solid) sturdy decent flashlight at a pretty good price.

I consider them 'tools' - they have properties many other lights don't. A D-cell maglight is a serious weapon. And i did the little mini's.

I too tier my gear. a couple top end lights, a few mid and a bunch of cheap. Mag lights fill a role.

Small powerful tac lights, they are NOT. But general purpose flashlights - fantastic.

Bolster
05-20-2012, 09:10
I like the Maglite. ... It is a solid (very solid) sturdy decent flashlight at a pretty good price.

Bingo.

The build feels solid with all that knurled aluminum and weight, but if it's an incan, that bulb is way more fragile than an LED.

Also the two-pin system used by the MiniMag bulbs is a chintzy piece of engineering that relies on a corrosion-free friction fit. Honestly I'd rather have my emitter permanently soldered down, and good for tens of thousands of hours, if the goal is reliability.

I think the biggest advantage to the MagLite, and the true reason it hangs onto to its popularity, is its dual use as an incognito club.

Try using your Maratac or Quark or Zebralight or Fenix as a club!! Whiff - "Tink!" Ain't happening. A perp would think it was a love pat.

So if I'm walking alone at dark, in a bad part of town without a weapon, then yeah, I want a 4D or 6D MagLite. In that case heft and reach are probably more important lumens.

Ideally I'd carry a 6D MagLite for size, and a Quark for actual illumination.

Deputydave
05-20-2012, 10:35
I see several LED conversions for regular maglites. Can anyone suggest one or more, or what to avoid? Perhaps something that still allows the flood to focus feature. From what I've understood, the LED version/conversion can be much brighter and still a good battery saver while being more durable and longer lasting that the incan. Seems that would be a good primary with the incans I still have as back up in the same light.

Who has used a conversion and how'd it work for you?

Bolster
05-20-2012, 11:34
Terralux, Malkoff.

Check BrightGuy, LightHound, LightJunction.

I don't really like my NiteIze too much but it functions (after a replacement). My Terralux is way bright, but that ice-blue color that makes seeing hard. Wish I'd bought Malkoff.

Don't quote me on this but I THINK most of the replacements (except for maybe Malkoff?) use the old-style "flat" blue-tint emitters, going for brightness over high CRI.

DepDave if you are LEO, be aware that LEOs really value high CRI lights because they make perps easier to spot. Low CRI lights give a "flat" look and make "seeing" (or should I say "distinguishing") difficult, even tho there's plenty of lumens. Has to do with the way low-end LED emitters drop certain wavelengths (particularly blue-green, orange, and red).

Honestly, if you are scouting for perps hiding in the bushes, you just might want to stick with an incan, if you can't find a High CRI LED to your liking.

As I said up front, your MagLite incans have the edge for color rendition.

Cavalry Doc
05-20-2012, 12:38
the 4 D-cell maglite with the LED conversion is a bright light, lasts a loooooong time, and can double as an attitude adjustor.

Warp
05-20-2012, 13:21
the 4 D-cell maglite with the LED conversion is a bright light, lasts a loooooong time, and can double as an attitude adjustor.

Depends on your definition of bright.

I do not find them to be bright.

+hitting somebody with a 4D maglite could very well be considered lethal force.

Cavalry Doc
05-20-2012, 13:27
Depends on your definition of bright.

I do not find them to be bright.

+hitting somebody with a 4D maglite could very well be considered lethal force.

They aren't the brightest thing out there, and yes, hitting someone with one would be considered lethal force. You should only do that if you really have to do it, but if you do have to, they work better than a small handheld.

Warp
05-20-2012, 13:30
They aren't the brightest thing out there, and yes, hitting someone with one would be considered lethal force. You should only do that if you really have to do it, but if you do have to, they work better than a small handheld.

Maybe. Maybe not. That strike bezel is wicked hard. And the light is brighter and has a MUCH more useful spill beam. While still throwing plenty far. Plus I probably have a much better tool for lethal force defensive use.

http://www.hobbygroup.ru/published/publicdata/B26988HOBBYGROUP/attachments/SC/products_pictures/ef833_tn11_torch_enl.jpg

Cavalry Doc
05-20-2012, 13:39
Maybe. Maybe not. That strike bezel is wicked hard. And the light is brighter and has a MUCH more useful spill beam. While still throwing plenty far. Plus I probably have a much better tool for lethal force defensive use.

http://www.hobbygroup.ru/published/publicdata/B26988HOBBYGROUP/attachments/SC/products_pictures/ef833_tn11_torch_enl.jpg

To each their own. I have several small flashlights, most with crenelated bezels. But I also have a 4 D-Cell Maglite in my truck. Other than that, Having a "Plan B" is not a bad idea.

I'm not saying you have to have a large D cell maglite, I'm saying you can have one if you want. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Warp
05-20-2012, 13:40
There is no right or wrong answer here.

Yes. There is. And I made the right answer.

I have a 4D MagLED and a Thrunite TN11 in my truck. :)

Plus a keychain light and a pocket EDC light, of course.

Cavalry Doc
05-20-2012, 13:48
Yes. There is. And I made the right answer.

I have a 4D MagLED and a Thrunite TN11 in my truck. :)

Plus a keychain light and a pocket EDC light, of course.

Ha Ha. :rofl: There are a lot of things you can have, and maybe find a use for, and even find a need for, but there is no one perfect kit for everyone.

At this point, I'm going to assume you are attempting humor. :wavey:

Warp
05-20-2012, 13:52
(almost) Everything has its place. Even Maglites.

Lt Scott 14
05-20-2012, 13:55
Check out combo Maglites at Home Depot. 3D and mini mag for under $25.00. I like the other tactical bright lites and batteries are $3.00 ea. Alkalines are still cheaper, leds are battery use "stretchers".
Only complaint on 3Ds: the rubber switch cover disappears after a couple months use?
I have tried to silicone them in. Doesn't work. Tough light though.

MadMonkey
05-20-2012, 14:13
batteries are $3.00 ea

Are you talking about CR123s?? Stop buying them at WalMart.. bulk packs are just over half that price. I always keep a couple of 20 packs around at minimum.

Warp
05-20-2012, 14:14
Are you talking about CR123s?? Stop buying them at WalMart.. bulk packs are just over half that price. I always keep a couple of 20 packs around at minimum.

Correct.

Nobody should be paying $3 each for CR123s unless they got caught with their pants down, and even that probably shouldn't happen.

Hell, my local gun store has Surefire batteries at something like 12/$25, and that's the highest I've seen them

Deputydave
05-20-2012, 15:20
Terralux, Malkoff.

Check BrightGuy, LightHound, LightJunction.

I don't really like my NiteIze too much but it functions (after a replacement). My Terralux is way bright, but that ice-blue color that makes seeing hard. Wish I'd bought Malkoff.

Don't quote me on this but I THINK most of the replacements (except for maybe Malkoff?) use the old-style "flat" blue-tint emitters, going for brightness over high CRI.

DepDave if you are LEO, be aware that LEOs really value high CRI lights because they make perps easier to spot. Low CRI lights give a "flat" look and make "seeing" (or should I say "distinguishing") difficult, even tho there's plenty of lumens. Has to do with the way low-end LED emitters drop certain wavelengths (particularly blue-green, orange, and red).

Honestly, if you are scouting for perps hiding in the bushes, you just might want to stick with an incan, if you can't find a High CRI LED to your liking.

As I said up front, your MagLite incans have the edge for color rendition.

On duty I have a Streamlight Firebox and a Streamlight Stinger with LED conversion. I also have a mini maglite incan for a back up light. Off-duty for just EDC I'll have the mini mag incan and one of the inexpensive LED lights plus what I've got in the vehicle which is usually the same. At home I've got several C & D mag incans from 2-4 cell plus several mini mag incans and multiple inexpensive LED lights. I've got several of the 6 volt lights as well.

And of course the butt-ugly Sipik is on the way :supergrin: