wanting an appraisal but don't know where to get one. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wanting an appraisal but don't know where to get one.

efman
05-17-2012, 17:18
hey guys, I have a walther p.38 that my grandfather left me. I'd like to show the gun to an expert and see what all he can tell me about it's history. where and when it was made and maybe a ball park value for kicks and giggles (I'll never part with the gun)

I don't have much information on the gun except that he carried it with him through france. he was overseas in 1944-1945 and was apart of the 8th infantry. I can provide pictures if anyone woud like to see it.

Cliff notes: basically I want someone who knows what they are talking about to teach me about the weapon. not just the lgs guys. i'm located in north georgia so if someone could point me in the direction of a gunsmith/collector who could help me out I would appreciate it, thanks. :wavey:

bac1023
05-17-2012, 17:21
To get values, I usually look at Gunbroker and see what similar models are going for.

efman
05-17-2012, 17:23
the thing is i believe a lot of the value depends on the serial numbers and markings when it comes to these guns.

bac1023
05-17-2012, 17:26
the thing is i believe a lot of the value depends on the serial numbers and markings when it comes to these guns.

It certainly does. However, you can usually read the Gunbroker desciptions and find some of similar marking.

AZ Jeff
05-17-2012, 19:56
http://www.p38forum.com/

ithaca_deerslayer
05-17-2012, 20:07
I don't have much information on the gun except that he carried it with him through france. he was overseas in 1944-1945 and was apart of the 8th infantry. I can provide pictures if anyone woud like to see it.

I don't have any info, but I sure would love to see the pics.

Great story about your granddad carrying it in WWII. Wonder how he came about it.

Bruce M
05-18-2012, 07:23
I'd be curious as to it's value also.

ChicagoZman
05-18-2012, 08:13
Many gun shops have firearms experts with a wealth of knowledge and resource materials that would be willing to research the gun and provide you an appraisal for a fee, often with the hopes that you will use them to sell the gun on consignment, crediting your appraisal fee against the consignment fees.

As others have said here, GunBroker is also a great resource, but be sure to look for guns that have actually sold at auction and not just with one bid.

Good luck.