Staked front sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Staked front sight

humphreys19
05-17-2012, 17:59
OK, mostly a venting post. Gave my pet 1911 to a local "gunsmith" to install new sights. Selected a STI tactical adjustable rear sight, and left the front sight choice to the alleged "gunsmith", telling him I wanted a black on black sight picture.
OK, the rear sight is good, he had to cut a larger dovetail, and it seems fine, except he scratched the sight installing it. The front sight, though........ He claims no one had one the right height, so he made one....... also claims that he silver soldered it in place as well as staking it.
Well, after about 200 rounds, the front sight is loose. Loose, loose, loose. Loose like a kid's tooth about to come out.
I will not go back to that "gunsmith", so I guess I will learn how to stake a 1911 front sight myself.
Does no one take pride in their work anymore?

CA_DUDE
05-20-2012, 03:59
Apparently staking is a lost art. I had a hell of a time with my '91 Gov and commander just finding someone who could get the factory replacement sight staked. At this point in the game I go with dovetailed sights cause staked sights are a stupid thing to lose your sanity on. It's a shame really. Maybe it should be the bench mark of a good pistol smith; proof that you can stake an MF'ing sight.

Brucev
05-20-2012, 05:22
OK, mostly a venting post. Gave my pet 1911 to a local "gunsmith" to install new sights. Selected a STI tactical adjustable rear sight, and left the front sight choice to the alleged "gunsmith", telling him I wanted a black on black sight picture.
OK, the rear sight is good, he had to cut a larger dovetail, and it seems fine, except he scratched the sight installing it. The front sight, though........ He claims no one had one the right height, so he made one....... also claims that he silver soldered it in place as well as staking it.
Well, after about 200 rounds, the front sight is loose. Loose, loose, loose. Loose like a kid's tooth about to come out.
I will not go back to that "gunsmith", so I guess I will learn how to stake a 1911 front sight myself.
Does no one take pride in their work anymore?

Voodoo gunsmith work is never a good thing.

dakrat
05-20-2012, 07:47
Brownells carry the front staking tools you would need.

FLIPPER 348
05-20-2012, 12:13
we build them at the shop and supply Brownells and a few other folk