Vest for ride along? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vest for ride along?

johnluger
05-17-2012, 19:47
I have a few more ride a long's before the start of my Academy, and wanted to know if I would be out of line if I wore a concealable armor vest? I figure this is the best place to ask, I don't want to look like an ass wearing a vest if I am not a cop. Most of the departments allow me to exit the vehicle with the officer to calls but not in progress calls. Some of the areas that we patrol are deep in the ghetto. Most of the time when we interact with people they talk to me as if I where the detective on scene.

Ajon412
05-17-2012, 19:56
Yes, by all means...I would.....

kayl
05-17-2012, 20:12
Granted, I was a non-sworn departmental employee when I did all my ride-alongs, but I always wore a vest. You might want to ask in advance- I'd say something along the lines of, "A friend of mine gave me his old/spare vest to wear during the ride along- is that ok?"

If you show up unannounced wearing a vest, that seems whackerish to me :)

Agent6-3/8
05-17-2012, 20:43
I don't think it'd be out of line at all.

DaBigBR
05-17-2012, 20:51
Just wear it concealed and you'll be fine.

ottomatic
05-17-2012, 21:11
I offer all my ride-alongs one. I use my spare one or my wife's.

Calico Jack
05-17-2012, 21:51
During my internship I went on many ride a longs and was required to wear a vest, provided by the department. If you have your own I would definitely wear it... preferably concealed.

Ewalk
05-17-2012, 21:56
I don't think it is out of line but expect to get your Ballz busted if the officers see it. If I saw it I would tell u to get on your face and knock out 10 for every pound that vest weighs. But that is what u got to expect from LEOs. Good luck in the academy.

johnluger
05-18-2012, 00:12
Thanks, I thought I would end up looking like an Imbecile.

lloydchristmas
05-18-2012, 00:45
I would wear it if I were you. As stated before, wear it concealed. That's not whacker-ish. I suggest not wearing a duty belt with radio holder, oc pouch, and glove pouch, etc.... Cuz that's a whacker, and we'll talk about what a tool you are at length when you're not around. We might even mention it in your presence as well. Ask me how I know...

Also as stated before, I offer a vest to anyone riding with me, anyway.

Schaffer
05-18-2012, 00:52
I wore one on mine. Some people asked me about it,nobody gave me ****.

Not a bad idea to bring a small flashlight with you.

MikeLadner
05-18-2012, 01:31
You won't catch me, or a ride along, in my patrol car without a vest.

DoogieHowser
05-18-2012, 04:18
I always wear one at work so when I do ride-alongs I always wear one there as well. The one exception to that rule was riding with Cochese; then again I knew his aura would likely turn any BG into a steaming crying sack of bones and bullets would be reflected by his sheer awesomeness... Also couldn't get it to fit in the carry on that I had...

efman
05-18-2012, 04:28
my department provides all ride alongs/interns with a vest. it is mandatory for anyone riding with patrol.

Patchman
05-18-2012, 04:35
Ride along with patrol? Heck yeah!

Moravia
05-18-2012, 04:46
Absolutely. Don't go on a ride along without it. Ya never know what is gonna happen in patrol.

Hack
05-18-2012, 06:22
If you are not offered one, and can come by one that is concealable without being that noticeable. Wear at least a level IIA. In fact if you can get Level IIIA/Spike 2 or some such it would be costly, but well worth it, and last a long while for you. The reason for the spike rating: some people use knives, and bullet resistant vests only work so well for that kind of thing.

rhikdavis
05-18-2012, 06:48
Most of the time when we interact with people they talk to me as if I where the detective on scene.

It's that damned CCW badge on your belt. :supergrin:

nikerret
05-18-2012, 07:02
Where's that list I made up years ago....the ride-a-long list of do's.....

Hack
05-18-2012, 07:04
I know if I was taking one on a ride along, (not happening under our circumstances), I would want them to know how to unlock the scatter gun.

dpadams6
05-18-2012, 07:10
Our Dept. Policy States that all ride a longs SHALL wear a vest.

NvrDwn
05-18-2012, 08:08
Anytime I go on ride a longs I have to wear a vest. I just wish I could have something to protect myself with sometimes..

Everyone that has talked to me just assumed I was a detective. I've also been told a few times that if i'm asked to say i'm a detective..

blueiron
05-18-2012, 08:33
No PASGT or MICH?

johnluger
05-18-2012, 10:34
This is what I bought http://www.lapolicegear.com/bllowvisplca.html and I have SAPI plates I am going to put in it. Now I am just wondering how come none of the depts I did ride along's with offered me a vest lol.

knoxvegasdaddy
05-18-2012, 10:36
I always wear one at work so when I do ride-alongs I always wear one there as well. The one exception to that rule was riding with Cochese; then again I knew his aura would likely turn any BG into a steaming crying sack of bones and bullets would be reflected by his sheer awesomeness... Also couldn't get it to fit in the carry on that I had...

You got to ride with Coshese???? What, did he lose a bet or something?

DoogieHowser
05-18-2012, 12:28
You got to ride with Coshese???? What, did he lose a bet or something?

Or I lost one depending on how you look at it :tongueout: Nah, he's a good guy was in the area and he stepped up and took me out for the night. Wouldn't even let me pay for dinner :supergrin:

bccop
05-18-2012, 12:50
Wear an external vest with departmental patches plus a turtleneck with the agency name on the collar, black bdu pants bloused over a pair of black highly polished boots, and a pair of aviator sunglasses.... :cool:

bccop
05-18-2012, 12:51
Or I lost one depending on how you look at it :tongueout: Nah, he's a good guy was in the area and he stepped up and took me out for the night. Wouldn't even let me pay for dinner :supergrin:

You never get anything for free. So what did you have to do in exchange for a ride-along and free dinner????

Hack
05-18-2012, 13:03
You never get anything for free. So what did you have to do in exchange for a ride-along and free dinner????

Now some things are not worth knowing about ... :whistling:.

I is a little instigator.

Napalm561
05-18-2012, 20:49
Where's that list I made up years ago....the ride-a-long list of do's.....

I thought for sure I'd see the list. I'm disappointed it's not here. :dunno:

nikerret
05-18-2012, 23:51
I thought for sure I'd see the list. I'm disappointed it's not here. :dunno:

Sorry, I looked on my old laptop, still can't find it. Hopefully, someone saved it. It was pretty funny, if I don't say so myself...:whistling:

Here's two threads where it is, but I can't access them:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294776

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1201438

DoogieHowser
05-19-2012, 04:37

Wouldn't you like to know! :rofl:

steveksux
05-19-2012, 12:25
You never get anything for free. So what did you have to do in exchange for a ride-along and free dinner????I'm going to pistol whip the first guy that says "Shenanigans". And you don't wnat to see what I'm going to do to the first guy that starts whistling the theme music from "Brokeback Mountain"... :tongueout::supergrin:

Randy

blueiron
05-19-2012, 14:29
I'm going to pistol whip the first guy that says "Shenanigans". And you don't wnat to see what I'm going to do to the first guy that starts whistling the theme music from "Brokeback Mountain"... :tongueout::supergrin:

Randy

Question is.... can you quit him?

:supergrin:

lawman800
05-19-2012, 15:25
Some places actually will provide you one and mandate it as part of your ride-along... but if you feel the need for it, then by all means, just tell them first.

lawman800
05-19-2012, 15:26
Wear an external vest with departmental patches plus a turtleneck with the agency name on the collar, black bdu pants bloused over a pair of black highly polished boots, and a pair of aviator sunglasses.... :cool:

Switch those out for all black Oakleys and make sure you sign up for a graveyard shift while wearing those shades in briefing as well as until the sun comes up, then take those glasses off so you can see everyone better.:whistling:

Batwing
05-19-2012, 17:42
I've never worn them on the rides I go on but often have thought "maybe I should try and get one, just in case."

The agencies here usually don't let you get out of the car no matter what, but that's up to the officer or deputy. Those times I get out, I make sure I am paying attention to what is going on around me (obviously) just in case I have to get the hell out of the way.

I also find it funny when whomever we are contacting tries to talk to me like I am someone important. I always politely tell them "I am just a civilian observer, you need to talk to the man over there with the badge on."

They get the message.

steveksux
05-19-2012, 18:22
Question is.... can you quit him?

:rofl: I think it would be even easier than one might imagine...

:supergrin:

But back to the OP, I think a vest is probably a good idea...

http://16.media.tumblr.com/guqIY7P2epluew29oTyVTRsoo1_400.jpg

At least if you work out... :whistling:

Randy

johnluger
05-19-2012, 20:46
Okay so I need a leather vest, sunglasses for night time riding, ans a bunch of tactacool gear. :rofl:

packsaddle
05-19-2012, 21:51
http://i55.tinypic.com/24l4je0.jpg

lawman800
05-19-2012, 23:35
Okay so I need a leather vest, sunglasses for night time riding, ans a bunch of tactacool gear. :rofl:

This outfit for the WIN!:supergrin:

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/dog.jpg